Semi Driver

dcorbett62
6/21/2016 9:30am
is there ever any chance of getting to be a race team semi driver? just wondering if you have to "know someone" to get in.
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
175th
6/21/2016 9:32am Edited Date/Time 6/21/2016 9:36am
Don't think you need to know someone... Lots of people have said that's the easiest way into the industry.
dcorbett62
6/21/2016 9:37am
I'm not sure even how to come about finding out if teams need a driver. Definatly a plus that I'm young and single too! LOL
MxKing809
Fantasy
175th
6/21/2016 10:29am
dcorbett62 wrote:
is there ever any chance of getting to be a race team semi driver? just wondering if you have to "know someone" to get in.
Have your Class A? If not, get it.

Then call PC, FC, TLD, JGR and ask if they have openings. Offer to work the next 4 rounds for free. You'll find something.
Motodave15
6/21/2016 10:44am Edited Date/Time 6/21/2016 10:47am
Just a heads up on the semi driver thing.

I know one very well, depending on the team there can be problems like with everything but, some semi drivers are expected to do way more than just drive the truck... some of them drive/set-up/cook/step-in mechanic at times etc... allmost a jack of all trades positions on some teams.

My-advice, you should hit all the teams and even riders with rigs who arent that big but may need a driver.

Definitely get you class A.. and even a CDL aswell, just looks better in my opinion...but thats me guessing, im sure there has to be some big truckers who know a whole lot more

The Shop

OR Racer46
Fantasy
794th
6/21/2016 11:10am
You should be hitting up the Stewart's. They should be needing a driver . That would be a good gig. You probably wouldn't even have to drive much .
dcorbett62
6/21/2016 11:12am
I'll have my class a in the next 3 weeks and I'm totally game for driving for free and helping out wherever is needed!
MxKing809
Fantasy
175th
6/21/2016 11:15am
dcorbett62 wrote:
Story after story begins with "I offered to sweep floors for free"
Insider347
6/21/2016 11:30am
I saw a listing years ago for a driver needed for the Kawasaki rig. It also said some experience in mx bikes needed. I think there is a lot more to it than just driving but if you're young, single and have the drive then go for it. I sure wish I could have. I don't know if they look for someone with class A experience or just having a Class A is good enough. Check it out. Good luck.
scooter5002
6/21/2016 11:55am
License in 3 weeks, huh? Let a guy with 35 yrs behind the wheel give you some perspective, don't take any offense. If I was a team manager, it would be a cold day in HELL before I cut some kid loose with my equipment, with zero experience, other than training. You might have a license, but that's ALL you have. No road smarts, no professionalism, and no clue. As a manager, the last thing I need is some steering wheel holder, pissing off everyone around him, driving like a 21 yr old rodeo star, because he's cool. I'll assume you ARE 21, because that's how old you need to be, to drive interstate. That's the federal law. If some guy wants to hire you, ask yourself why, after what I've just told you.
GIwasB4
6/21/2016 1:02pm
Driving down the freeway in good weather is one thing. Driving the #80000 rig, worth $$$$$$$ off the freeway, onto some of the roads needed to access a race facility, and pit areas, and do it well? They don't train you for that.
6/21/2016 1:38pm
Try Custom Powersports in Chillcothe, OH (they are a dealer). They just got RCH old semi for their AX Team.
731chopper
Fantasy
418th
6/21/2016 2:05pm
dcorbett62 wrote:
Some of the places that those big rig drivers get to has always impressed me.
Insider347
6/21/2016 2:26pm
dcorbett62 wrote:
Take a breath, really. That's why you apply for a job, go through the interview and sell yourself.

You are making alot of assumptions. Believe it or not but there are responsible people in their 20s. Have to start somewhere to get experience. If you never get a job then how do you get experience? Buy a rig and drive across country and put it on youtube?
Some employers don't want to hire the old, know it all over the road trucker. Some may invest in someone new who has the motivation to succeed. Someone who can grow with the company. Someone who doesn't come with all the unwanted baggage. Someone who knows the sport.
Just saying. You were quick to squish his dream. Let him try.
500guy
6/21/2016 2:30pm
dcorbett62 wrote:
I'll have my class a in the next 3 weeks and I'm totally game for driving for free and helping out wherever is needed!
Do it for Free once and you will be expected to do it for free every time.

If you don't value yourself no one else will. Starting at a reduced rate to get your foot in the door is acceptable , Free is not.
Insider347
6/21/2016 2:30pm
BTW, I have held my class A for 15 years.
legswag
6/21/2016 5:02pm
There's coaches, motorhomes, sprinters, box vans, for racers and sponsors that may also need drivers. Good luck.
ga_pike
6/21/2016 6:36pm
A good friend of mine's brother was JS7's motorhome driver for several years (still might be but I don't know). He drove, set up, cooked, cleaned, and filled in where needed with the team if necessary. I don't remember, but I believe he drove of of the team rigs before he became James' guy.

I mention this because there are several different ways to get your foot in the door. It's possible MX Sports, Lucas Oil, Monster, or any number of sponsors, promoters, etc. might need drivers and crew. If you can operate equipment, there might be opportunity to drive and do track setup/teardown for SX... just thinking out loud.
dcorbett62
6/21/2016 6:52pm
dcorbett62 wrote:
crane and heavy equipment certified also lol. just would be a really cool to be around moto for a living!
Rdubs19
6/21/2016 6:56pm
dcorbett62 wrote:
crane and heavy equipment certified also lol. just would be a really cool to be around moto for a living!
Ha small world, I just signed up for a test for work the other day, and when I was on the testing service website, I saw crane operator certification on the list. I kinda want to study for it one day just for the hell of it, it seems super cool.
adastramx
6/21/2016 8:14pm
Any team that would let you drive for free for a period of time you should be weary of. I'm sure the FMCSA would have something to say about it too. Go work for a freight company doing city delivery. You will get a lot of practice getting around tight spaces and backing into ridiculous spots. Prove to yourself you can do the job before you bite off more than you can chew. The easy part is going straight down the road, the hard part is navigating into a huge city to a huge stadium or down some shitty dirt road (I've heard Washugal is tough to get into) without destroying a $200,000 rig.
stangkag
6/21/2016 8:28pm
dcorbett62 wrote:
Insider347 wrote:
Take a breath, really. That's why you apply for a job, go through the interview and sell yourself. You are making alot of assumptions. Believe it...
Take a breath, really. That's why you apply for a job, go through the interview and sell yourself.

You are making alot of assumptions. Believe it or not but there are responsible people in their 20s. Have to start somewhere to get experience. If you never get a job then how do you get experience? Buy a rig and drive across country and put it on youtube?
Some employers don't want to hire the old, know it all over the road trucker. Some may invest in someone new who has the motivation to succeed. Someone who can grow with the company. Someone who doesn't come with all the unwanted baggage. Someone who knows the sport.
Just saying. You were quick to squish his dream. Let him try.
Back in 2012 I was hired by Kilbarger Racing to drive for what was supposed to be Levi Kilbarger and Nico Izzi racing the 250 East coast, by the time I got to the truck Nico had moved to another team but luckily for me they still wanted the rig out there for Levi! So I flew from Denver to Columbus met Tony (Levi's Dad, Team owner) Got a tour of the tracks they had and the race shop then I was OFF! Southbound to the Barcia facility to start my career driving truck for a pro race team! No matter how big or small that team was, I lived it and had a blast while living down at barcias throughout the week and driving to the races on Thur-Fri.

I found that job right here on Vital - Moto Related Page 1. So the jobs are out there and they are a blast... As others have stated tho, driving is like 10% maybe 15% of what you actually do. You work very long hours, and have a ton of jobs. Youll become good at cleaning your rig, cleaning it some more, then when your done clean it again!, Shopping at walmart, spoking wheels, apply graphics to the bikes, helping the mechanic here and there. (being race team bitch)

It was all short lived because Levi broke his arm between Indy and Toronto but I had an absolute blast man and Id do it all again. So my advice is go for it and I had 4 1/2 years of driving experience OTR at that point in life. You will need a few years experience due to insurance reasons. Those are expensive rigs

Good luck man, Kyle
GuyB
Fantasy
1315th
6/21/2016 8:30pm
How do you feel about hand-washing a whole rig at least once a week? How are you at cooking for 8-10 people, plus doing the shopping and meal planning that goes with it? Can you maintain or repair all components of a trailer/RV and big rig? Are you a team player that can set up and tear down a pit area? That sounds like at least a partial list of what I see the guys at the track doing. I'm sure there's more.
stangkag
6/21/2016 8:36pm Edited Date/Time 6/21/2016 8:42pm
GuyB wrote:
How do you feel about hand-washing a whole rig at least once a week? How are you at cooking for 8-10 people, plus doing the shopping...
How do you feel about hand-washing a whole rig at least once a week? How are you at cooking for 8-10 people, plus doing the shopping and meal planning that goes with it? Can you maintain or repair all components of a trailer/RV and big rig? Are you a team player that can set up and tear down a pit area? That sounds like at least a partial list of what I see the guys at the track doing. I'm sure there's more.
That might scratch the surface!
6/22/2016 1:15am
License in 3 weeks, huh? Let a guy with 35 yrs behind the wheel give you some perspective, don't take any offense. If I was a...
License in 3 weeks, huh? Let a guy with 35 yrs behind the wheel give you some perspective, don't take any offense. If I was a team manager, it would be a cold day in HELL before I cut some kid loose with my equipment, with zero experience, other than training. You might have a license, but that's ALL you have. No road smarts, no professionalism, and no clue. As a manager, the last thing I need is some steering wheel holder, pissing off everyone around him, driving like a 21 yr old rodeo star, because he's cool. I'll assume you ARE 21, because that's how old you need to be, to drive interstate. That's the federal law. If some guy wants to hire you, ask yourself why, after what I've just told you.
And with that attitude, you probably still wonder why society looks down on truckers. I did 10 years OTR (age 30-40) to set myself up for life, and drivers like you make me puke. Sad to see another moto fan who has, for whatever reason, become the typical trucker trash.
6/22/2016 2:21am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2016 2:22am
A privateer Aussie in the states early 2000's racing off his own coin used to drive Reed's motorhome to the races for him which gave a little cash, got him to the races and a place to live during the week also. He was very good in the sand coming out of west Oz and had some good rides especially at Southwick before a crash paralyzed him. Think it may have been the first year Reed won Monster SX at Vegas shortly after and gave the whole $100 large prize money to help with his expenses and getting set up for mobility. Not many haters would know that.

rock on Brocky
dcorbett62
6/22/2016 6:03am
dcorbett62 wrote:
I use to live the oilfield life working 120 hrs a week so hardwork and Long hours isn't an issue lol! also have tons of detailing experience too! I use to detail for rkmotors in Charlotte which was a really cool job! just thought it would be cool to get into the moto industry! just not really sure how to get in!
856motocross
3/19/2017 8:18pm
This is something I've been wanting to do. Looking for being a driver or something to get my foot in the door of the love of motocross.
olympiamann
3/19/2017 9:02pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2017 9:10pm
Motodave15 wrote:
Just a heads up on the semi driver thing. I know one very well, depending on the team there can be problems like with everything but...
Just a heads up on the semi driver thing.

I know one very well, depending on the team there can be problems like with everything but, some semi drivers are expected to do way more than just drive the truck... some of them drive/set-up/cook/step-in mechanic at times etc... allmost a jack of all trades positions on some teams.

My-advice, you should hit all the teams and even riders with rigs who arent that big but may need a driver.

Definitely get you class A.. and even a CDL aswell, just looks better in my opinion...but thats me guessing, im sure there has to be some big truckers who know a whole lot more
Yooooowhooooo...A class A is a CDL...Class A is Combination vehicle WITH AIR BRAKE.. Class B is straight truck, no trailer With Air brake....Class C is not a CDL....Get a class A and get experience. You are going to have hell getting one with out a truck and trailer and no one is going to just barrow you one to get your license.Unless ya know somebody. So you'll either have to go to a commercial driver school or get a job where their willing to teach you on the job.Like say a aggregate company,Redi Mix or and freight company..It will be a real slim chance to find someone who will throw you in their Hauler and say, take this to the next race ..GOOOOD LUCK...Driving truck is awesome though so get it done....I've been doing it since 1994...

Post a reply to: Semi Driver

The Latest