Sell me on the idea of a SX 250 class as a Spectator?

Johnny Depp
I get it with mini bikes as intermission fillers, but why 2 classes with bikes that look and sound the same?
|
jj welks
8/18/2016 2:55pm
Idk maybe so you can get a little more racing for your $... They don't quite sound the same...
hvaughn88
8/18/2016 2:59pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2016 2:59pm
When you phrase it that way, I don't really have a good answer haha. To people that already follow the sport, it's obvious, but the times I've had a friend that doesn't follow Moto actually try and watch a race with me, they always ask me questions regarding that. "Wait, what race is this. Who's racing in it? Do they race the other bikes too? What's a cc? So they're pros? But not like PRO pros?" More often than not, when I try to explain it to them, they basically respond with something to the effect of "well that's pretty stupid."
Johnny Depp
8/18/2016 6:34pm
jj welks wrote:
Idk maybe so you can get a little more racing for your $... They don't quite sound the same...
More is good, but why different bikes (that are basically the same?)
Johnny Depp
8/18/2016 6:39pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
When you phrase it that way, I don't really have a good answer haha. To people that already follow the sport, it's obvious, but the times...
When you phrase it that way, I don't really have a good answer haha. To people that already follow the sport, it's obvious, but the times I've had a friend that doesn't follow Moto actually try and watch a race with me, they always ask me questions regarding that. "Wait, what race is this. Who's racing in it? Do they race the other bikes too? What's a cc? So they're pros? But not like PRO pros?" More often than not, when I try to explain it to them, they basically respond with something to the effect of "well that's pretty stupid."
What is so obvious to people that already follow the sport? I am asking someone with experience to sell me on it.

I have experienced the exact same thing with non "core" guests. TV or Live. To be honest it doesn't really happen in the outdoors, because non core people don't watch or go there.

"Well that's pretty stupid" covers my feelings pretty well as a spectator in a sport that was created for entertainment in the 1st place.

The Shop

stone881
8/18/2016 6:52pm
Perhaps tradition....but in reality it is supposed to make the sport safer, I think. The idea is that you don't have a bunch of 17 year old kids who haven't raced at anything near to this level, launching 60 hp bikes.

There is an unforgiving learning curve in MX in general, but an even steeper process in SX. The irony is that on a 450 you can make mistakes in the really dangerous areas of the track and still have the juice to clear shit. The 250 is a lot more forgiving, but momentum is key, right?

That's my take on it anyway. But who the hell can really understand these governing bodies anyway. 250 2 strokes were way more fun to watch than 450's, so why not just everyone on a 250, 4s or 2s. More qualifiers to pair it down to the main and wicked good racing.
Johnny Depp
8/18/2016 7:38pm
stone881 wrote:
Perhaps tradition....but in reality it is supposed to make the sport safer, I think. The idea is that you don't have a bunch of 17 year...
Perhaps tradition....but in reality it is supposed to make the sport safer, I think. The idea is that you don't have a bunch of 17 year old kids who haven't raced at anything near to this level, launching 60 hp bikes.

There is an unforgiving learning curve in MX in general, but an even steeper process in SX. The irony is that on a 450 you can make mistakes in the really dangerous areas of the track and still have the juice to clear shit. The 250 is a lot more forgiving, but momentum is key, right?

That's my take on it anyway. But who the hell can really understand these governing bodies anyway. 250 2 strokes were way more fun to watch than 450's, so why not just everyone on a 250, 4s or 2s. More qualifiers to pair it down to the main and wicked good racing.
As a spectator looking for a good time on a Saturday night to spend my cash on,

Tradition, no thanks
Safety, boring
Learning curve, I'm out

Everyone in the same class, with qualifiers pairing down to a Main, TAKE MY MONEY
early
Fantasy
2231st
8/18/2016 7:45pm
As a spectator looking for a good time on a Saturday night to spend my cash on, Tradition, no thanks Safety, boring Learning curve, I'm out...

Tradition, no thanks
Safety, boring
Learning curve, I'm out

Everyone in the same class, with qualifiers pairing down to a Main, TAKE MY MONEY
Well this is a short sighted statement
Holigan
8/18/2016 7:57pm
As a spectator looking for a good time on a Saturday night to spend my cash on, Tradition, no thanks Safety, boring Learning curve, I'm out...

Tradition, no thanks
Safety, boring
Learning curve, I'm out

That is the way it was. 250 class only.

4 Heats
2 Semi's
1 LCQ
1 Main

Then DC's dad came up with the idea of adding an East West 125 class to give guys experience before they tried to get in the big show. It worked.

Now it has mutated into something that was never intended.
Johnny Depp
8/18/2016 8:00pm

Tradition, no thanks
Safety, boring
Learning curve, I'm out

early wrote:
I like to think it's a statement with a view outside of the box.

Thinking only as a spectator seeking entertainment value.

We are competing with stick and ball sports, motor sports, fighting, concerts, movies, eating out etc.
Johnny Depp
8/18/2016 8:09pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2016 8:13pm

Tradition, no thanks
Safety, boring
Learning curve, I'm out

Holigan wrote:
That is the way it was. 250 class only. 4 Heats 2 Semi's 1 LCQ 1 Main Then DC's dad came up with the idea of...
That is the way it was. 250 class only.

4 Heats
2 Semi's
1 LCQ
1 Main

Then DC's dad came up with the idea of adding an East West 125 class to give guys experience before they tried to get in the big show. It worked.

Now it has mutated into something that was never intended.
Personally don't care what bike's are ridden. Winner's win and loser's lose.

Hate the LCQ. It is only there to protect the factory teams interests. If you want the points to be less predictable, get rid of 2nd and 3rd chances to make the show. If you don't transfer you go sit in the stands. Period.

I have no interest in diluting the show with sandbagging classes and learner's. Not for my ticket price. Let them learn somewhere else, I want entertainment.

A support class (or 2) is OK, but not 1/2 of the show on bikes that look and sound the same and clear the same jumps and run the same lap times with riders just as old with just as much experience. No point at all in it.

Support classes need to clearly look and/or sound different than the Pro's. Super Mini 2 strokes would rock, and provide a feeder class that amazes spectators with the skill of the youth. 2 stroke sound and smaller bikes so no confusion in the entertainment value.
kiwifan
8/18/2016 8:09pm
They dont sound the same, for one the 250 class is full of constant rev limiters going off and the 250 class is a great breeding ground for future 450 SX riders, I am all for it
early
Fantasy
2231st
8/18/2016 8:14pm

Tradition, no thanks
Safety, boring
Learning curve, I'm out

early wrote:
I like to think it's a statement with a view outside of the box. Thinking only as a spectator seeking [b]entertainment[/b] value. We are competing with...

We are competing with stick and ball sports, motor sports, fighting, concerts, movies, eating out etc.
If the box contains good ideas, these are definitely outside of it

"Tradition, no thanks
Safety, boring
Learning curve, I'm out"
NATEP231
8/18/2016 8:14pm
PROS
Smell
Sound
Seat bouncing
Big rear brake stabs in the air
Affordability
Inconsistency in results
Front end washes
Rear end slid outs
Competitive
Something else/new for spectators to watch
Opens doors for more riders

CONS
More track work
When the 2 stroke class becomes bigger then the 250f class
Having the booth explain to the viewers what a 2 stroke is every weekend

Johnny Depp
8/18/2016 8:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2016 8:23pm
kiwifan wrote:
They dont sound the same, for one the 250 class is full of constant rev limiters going off and the 250 class is a great breeding...
They dont sound the same, for one the 250 class is full of constant rev limiters going off and the 250 class is a great breeding ground for future 450 SX riders, I am all for it
Sorry, you didn't sell me a ticket. Those riders still get to ride if they want, just with the big boys. But there wouldn't be 2 winners. Only 1.
kkawboy14
8/18/2016 8:18pm
During that moto they hand out cupcakes with sprinkles!
Johnny Depp
8/18/2016 8:20pm
early wrote:
I like to think it's a statement with a view outside of the box. Thinking only as a spectator seeking [b]entertainment[/b] value. We are competing with...

early wrote:
If the box contains good ideas, these are definitely outside of it

"Tradition, no thanks
Safety, boring
Learning curve, I'm out"
Tradition, safety and rider's learning the sport won't fill seats.

I can hear the radio ad now "AMA Supercross, just like it always has been, with the safest tracks for the up and coming riders to compete on."
Johnny Depp
8/18/2016 8:25pm
NATEP231 wrote:
PROS Smell Sound Seat bouncing Big rear brake stabs in the air Affordability Inconsistency in results Front end washes Rear end slid outs Competitive Something else/new...
PROS
Smell
Sound
Seat bouncing
Big rear brake stabs in the air
Affordability
Inconsistency in results
Front end washes
Rear end slid outs
Competitive
Something else/new for spectators to watch
Opens doors for more riders

CONS
More track work
When the 2 stroke class becomes bigger then the 250f class
Having the booth explain to the viewers what a 2 stroke is every weekend

I think you assumed I was referring to 2 strokes, which I am not. I don't care what you ride, steam, electric, rubber band etc. 1st to the finish line in the main wins.
mx836
8/18/2016 8:27pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2016 8:31pm

Those people who stand to benefit from the growth of the sport are competing with stick and ball sports, concerts, fighting, etc. I'm good with the class structure just how it is and don't care what Joe Blow likes or doesn't like about "our" sport. Two classes is more racing for me to feast my eyes on and more jobs within the industry. More opportunity for young up and coming racers. It's interesting watching the young guys race then see who graduates to a 450 and how they fare. If Joe Blow can't take the time to figure it out then they probably aren't going to be a fan no matter what the format is. I don't see how Brad Taft racing Ken Roczen in Supercross next year is a good idea. And there are many privateers who show up with much less skill than even him. Just my opinion.
kkawboy14
8/18/2016 8:28pm
He said sell him on the idea, not fight over 2 strokes
Johnny Depp
8/18/2016 8:45pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2016 8:47pm

mx836 wrote:
Those people who stand to benefit from the growth of the sport are competing with stick and ball sports, concerts, fighting, etc. I'm good with the...
Those people who stand to benefit from the growth of the sport are competing with stick and ball sports, concerts, fighting, etc. I'm good with the class structure just how it is and don't care what Joe Blow likes or doesn't like about "our" sport. Two classes is more racing for me to feast my eyes on and more jobs within the industry. More opportunity for young up and coming racers. It's interesting watching the young guys race then see who graduates to a 450 and how they fare. If Joe Blow can't take the time to figure it out then they probably aren't going to be a fan no matter what the format is. I don't see how Brad Taft racing Ken Roczen in Supercross next year is a good idea. And there are many privateers who show up with much less skill than even him. Just my opinion.
A change is coming. Supercross is a show. There is more money to be made off of SX, how core fans feel about it will likely not be the top priority. Making the competition understandable without a constant explanation will be. The formula for the future is very much being debated during these times.

The assumption that 1 class means less racing is wrong. Still 80 riders in the show, just all in 1 PRO class.
Obviously the format isn't decided by me.

So watching graduates move up now they seem to be instant top 5 guys. (Sandbagging the previous year)
Brad likely won't do as bad as you think, and will learn more by riding with faster riders. The top guys running around out front in the 250's aren't doing a lot of learning either, when they could be mixing it up with the big boys. There will be privateers get whipped, and a few get holeshots and lead for a while. And with shorter quarterfinals and semi's, they might actually keep their position to transfer without being an Aldon Baker protege.
mx836
8/18/2016 8:51pm
A change is coming. Supercross is a show. There is more money to be made off of SX, how core fans feel about it will likely...
A change is coming. Supercross is a show. There is more money to be made off of SX, how core fans feel about it will likely not be the top priority. Making the competition understandable without a constant explanation will be. The formula for the future is very much being debated during these times.

The assumption that 1 class means less racing is wrong. Still 80 riders in the show, just all in 1 PRO class.

So watching graduates move up now they seem to be instant top 5 guys. (Sandbagging the previous year)
Brad likely won't do as bad as you think, and will learn more by riding with faster riders. The top guys running around out front in the 250's aren't doing a lot of learning either, when they could be mixing it up with the big boys. There will be privateers get whipped, and a few get holeshots and lead for a while. And with shorter quarterfinals and semi's, they might actually keep their position to transfer without being an Aldon Baker protege.
They going to double the size of the gate? Double the laps? Double the main events?

I realize that the people in charge are the ones that stand to benefit. What I said above is my feelings and my feelings only on the situation, which doesn't mean jack shit to the greedy bastards who run the show.
JM485
8/18/2016 8:58pm
I know this is hypothetical, but if it's that hard to sell you a ticket then don't go. I'm so sick of people thinking we need to bend over backwards to get more "fans" interested, we aren't competing with baseball and football, this is a unique Motorsport that has nothing to do with ball sports. If someone wants to tune in Saturday's, awesome! If not, I don't really care, if someone was interested enough they would take the time to learn about it and actually enjoy what racing already offers. Most fans are riders themselves, and I don't see what could be better than that, keep it small and community oriented.
8/18/2016 8:59pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2016 9:02pm
I've almost always preferred watching corner-carving on the lites. So having a race for them will sell me a ticket.
Johnny Depp
8/18/2016 9:03pm
JM485 wrote:
I know this is hypothetical, but if it's that hard to sell you a ticket then don't go. I'm so sick of people thinking we need...
I know this is hypothetical, but if it's that hard to sell you a ticket then don't go. I'm so sick of people thinking we need to bend over backwards to get more "fans" interested, we aren't competing with baseball and football, this is a unique Motorsport that has nothing to do with ball sports. If someone wants to tune in Saturday's, awesome! If not, I don't really care, if someone was interested enough they would take the time to learn about it and actually enjoy what racing already offers. Most fans are riders themselves, and I don't see what could be better than that, keep it small and community oriented.
Great business model. Duly noted.
Johnny Depp
8/18/2016 9:06pm
I've almost always preferred watching corner-carving on the lites. So having a race for them will sell me a ticket.
Nothing would stop riders form choosing a Lite for the proposed format. Run whatever you want. Still want a ticket? Maybe 3 or 4? What fun it would be cheering on someone on a 150 2t fighting it out with the big boys!

8/18/2016 9:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2016 9:09pm
MotoGp is the most popular form of motorcycle racing in the world, crushing SX in global viewership, and drawing crowds that put most all motorsports to shame. It has two support classes, taking up way more of it's program than SX
8/18/2016 9:11pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2016 9:13pm
Nothing would stop riders form choosing a Lite for the proposed format. Run whatever you want. Still want a ticket? Maybe 3 or 4? What fun...
Nothing would stop riders form choosing a Lite for the proposed format. Run whatever you want. Still want a ticket? Maybe 3 or 4? What fun it would be cheering on someone on a 150 2t fighting it out with the big boys!

Doesn't work. They maybe can run the lap times, but will get buried at the starts. That's just lame competition.
Johnny Depp
8/18/2016 9:14pm
A change is coming. Supercross is a show. There is more money to be made off of SX, how core fans feel about it will likely...

mx836 wrote:
They going to double the size of the gate? Double the laps? Double the main events? I realize that the people in charge are the ones...
They going to double the size of the gate? Double the laps? Double the main events?

I realize that the people in charge are the ones that stand to benefit. What I said above is my feelings and my feelings only on the situation, which doesn't mean jack shit to the greedy bastards who run the show.
80 riders on any bike
4 Quarterfinals with 10 transferring
2 Semis with 10 riders qualifying
1 Main Event with 20 riders
mx836
8/18/2016 9:15pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2016 9:17pm
Nothing would stop riders form choosing a Lite for the proposed format. Run whatever you want. Still want a ticket? Maybe 3 or 4? What fun...

150 2t in an open format? That's delusional. The one 20 lap main doesn't do it for me. The last thing we need is more qualifiers and less main events. To each their own.
Johnny Depp
8/18/2016 9:16pm

Doesn't work. They maybe can run the lap times, but will get buried at the starts. That's just lame competition.
Then pick another bike that you think you can win on. But I wouldn't bet against Johnny O'Hannah on one.

Post a reply to: Sell me on the idea of a SX 250 class as a Spectator?

The Latest