Seizing "Illegal" dirt bikes in PA

alphado
6/16/2022 8:49am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2022 9:24am
|
sandtrack315
6/16/2022 9:03am
Agreed with the bill, but this should be in non-moto.

motoxrocks
6/16/2022 9:27am
Illegal and dangerous activity that does the sport we love absolutely no good!!!!!! The fines are ridiculous!
6/16/2022 9:29am
Did I understand that correctly jail time if you don't pay the fines?
motoxxx599
Fantasy
1009th
6/16/2022 9:37am Edited Date/Time 6/16/2022 9:47am
I would think all cities have similar laws already but who is going to enforce them? I was on I-30 in downtown Dallas the other day when a bunch guys on 250s and 450s where cutting through traffic all wearing 100% goggles on their head (not over their eyes). It looked like something from the movies.

In 2005 I got pulled over riding a Z50 to an auto part store not 2 miles from where I saw these guys and got 6 different tickets. My truck had broken down and I was riding along the sidewalk with a helmet on when a motorcycle cop stopped me. Almost $500 worth of fines.

The Shop

LungButter
6/16/2022 9:44am
I'm sure this will stop the illegal riding then. I'm sure none of them want to get their bikes they paid hard earned money for impounded, right?
Hollywood009
Fantasy
1054th
6/16/2022 10:01am
I agree with the idea, it should already be illegal in the cities. But doubt cities will actually be able to enforce it, dont have the time, man power, or personal to deal with it.

I would hate to for some guy in a rural part of the state to loose his bike just for riding down a dirt road, and I fear that those are the people that will be impacted most.
Brad460
Fantasy
807th
6/16/2022 10:28am
The law will be used to seize dirt bikes from 14 yr old kids riding across the road out in the country..As a kid cops seemed obsessed with harassing us kids riding around on dirt bikes..
SonofThor32
6/16/2022 11:31am Edited Date/Time 6/16/2022 11:32am
Hopefully laws in PA are enforced a lot more than they are in WA. A law is no good if there is no actual punishment, that is just public placating to make people think lawmakers are actually doing something, make the people feel good, but nothing actually changes or gets done (that is business as usual here, example - catalytic converter thefts)..
MX915
6/16/2022 11:44am
Is it not already illegal to ride an uninsured and unregistered vehicle operated by an unlicensed individual on a public street? They'll never enforce this in Philadelphia. Don’t want to lose that potential voter base.
ElliotB16
6/16/2022 11:57am
I’d be more worried about the amount of stolen bikes that end up on the streets
Steve125
Fantasy
2759th
6/16/2022 12:01pm
Philadelphia is out of control. Took a few trips out there to visit family recently and couldn't believe the packs of dirt bikes, road bikes, and quads on the road. I was on the 9th floor of my hotel and could smell premix up there.
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
6/16/2022 12:50pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2022 1:39pm
Brad460 wrote:
The law will be used to seize dirt bikes from 14 yr old kids riding across the road out in the country..As a kid cops seemed...
The law will be used to seize dirt bikes from 14 yr old kids riding across the road out in the country..As a kid cops seemed obsessed with harassing us kids riding around on dirt bikes..
As someone who grew up in PA doing exactly what you described.. and was routinely hassled by the police, I will say you are 1000% correct. This will never get enforced in any meaningful way against the punks on stolen bikes in Philly but will screw over some decent kids in the hills who scraped and mowed lawns to buy a bike.
sandtrack315
6/16/2022 1:33pm
Look, I live in Philadelphia, and totally support seizing dirt bikes if you ride them like this. I basically live in Wissahickon park, about 15 minutes from downtown, and never really see this stuff, but I know it happens a lot.

If a lot of the exposure people have to dirt bike is people riding them on the streets and endangering the lives of others, that's really bad for our sport and we need to stop it ASAP.

My problem with threads like this is people take them as an excuse to make thinly veiled political and racial comments and say things like "punk" and "inner city". Philly is a great city, with great people, and a few bad apples, just like every other place.
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
6/16/2022 1:44pm
Speaking of bad for the sport, this law is one more example that the existence of wheelie boyz hurts us. As stated, wheelie boys will remain largely unaffected because they are harder to enforce against and, if their bike is stolen, it does not bother them as much if it is confiscated.

People riding dirt bikes illegally in packs in cities are punks. And Philly has unfortunately become a cesspool in many places.

No veil here. If you choose to infer something political or racial from that, your choice.
MX915
6/16/2022 1:49pm
I think no one disagrees that this is an issue. But there are already laws which say these are illegal activities and this will not be some magic bullet that ends it. If laws mattered to the participants whey wouldn't be riding dirtbikes over the Ben Franklin Bridge (do you think they pay the toll?) The police who enforce this law will still have there hands tied by the same ideologies that allow current laws not to be enforced (not limited to Philadelphia). Point is that sure at face value its a step in the right direction, but lets be honest it certainly isn't going to change a thing.

Don’t send this to non-moto. Itll be a blood bath over there. Grinning
sandtrack315
6/16/2022 1:49pm
FGR01 wrote:
Speaking of bad for the sport, this law is one more example that the existence of wheelie boyz hurts us. As stated, wheelie boys will remain...
Speaking of bad for the sport, this law is one more example that the existence of wheelie boyz hurts us. As stated, wheelie boys will remain largely unaffected because they are harder to enforce against and, if their bike is stolen, it does not bother them as much if it is confiscated.

People riding dirt bikes illegally in packs in cities are punks. And Philly has unfortunately become a cesspool in many places.

No veil here. If you choose to infer something political or racial from that, your choice.
At least we have water, buddy.
LungButter
6/16/2022 2:02pm
FGR01 wrote:
Speaking of bad for the sport, this law is one more example that the existence of wheelie boyz hurts us. As stated, wheelie boys will remain...

Ohhhh burn!
agn5008
Fantasy
343rd
6/16/2022 2:56pm
Hopefully the police who enforce this use common sense. Out on a back road going from trail to trail? Obviously shouldn’t be seizing their machine. Through downtown causing major traffic hazards? Do what you gotta do.

My PD is pretty relaxed as long as you’re not going through downtown and riding around like a maniac. People here seem to realize and agree with that. Everybody and their brother has a dirtbike, ATV or side by side here and we very rarely have any issues. That’s most likely because people know and understand how relaxed we are about it but if it starts to be abused and become a problem then things will have to change.

Years ago one of my co workers got into a pursuit with a side by side not long after he got off field training… he got an ear full from me afterward. Not only is it extremely dangerous but it’s a ton of paperwork once you initiate a pursuit. The chief had a nice conversation with him as well. If the person in or on that machine didn’t commit a violent felony prior to driving on the road you leave it alone.
early
Fantasy
2139th
6/16/2022 3:04pm
Brad460 wrote:
The law will be used to seize dirt bikes from 14 yr old kids riding across the road out in the country..As a kid cops seemed...
FGR01 wrote:
As someone who grew up in PA doing exactly what you described.. and was routinely hassled by the police, I will say you are 1000% correct...
As someone who grew up in PA doing exactly what you described.. and was routinely hassled by the police, I will say you are 1000% correct. This will never get enforced in any meaningful way against the punks on stolen bikes in Philly but will screw over some decent kids in the hills who scraped and mowed lawns to buy a bike.
Same here, the only trouble I ever got in with the police when I was in Jr high and high school was for riding a mile down the road to friends houses. Does the Bill lay out a clear way to return stolen bikes to owners?
ttusomeone
6/16/2022 3:28pm
Brad460 wrote:
The bill specifically says the city designations it applies to. I expect if it's truly "the country" the bill doesn't apply. Also, it gives cities the ability to pass their own local ordinances that exempt them from the law (granted I skimmed that section so I may be mis-speaking on that portion).
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
6/16/2022 3:38pm
FGR01 wrote:

LungButter wrote:
Ohhhh burn!
Yeah.. it hurts. I guess I should mention, I still own property in PA upstream from him, where his water comes from.. LOL I also live in a part of AZ that does not get its water from the whole problematic Lake Meade situation. But I'll take the burn.
sandtrack315
6/16/2022 3:50pm
LungButter wrote:
Ohhhh burn!
FGR01 wrote:
Yeah.. it hurts. I guess I should mention, I still own property in PA upstream from him, where his water comes from.. LOL I also live...
Yeah.. it hurts. I guess I should mention, I still own property in PA upstream from him, where his water comes from.. LOL I also live in a part of AZ that does not get its water from the whole problematic Lake Meade situation. But I'll take the burn.
Jokes on me too though, I’m in the process of waterproofing my basement. Too much water out east, not enough in the west.
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
6/16/2022 3:55pm
LungButter wrote:
Ohhhh burn!
FGR01 wrote:
Yeah.. it hurts. I guess I should mention, I still own property in PA upstream from him, where his water comes from.. LOL I also live...
Jokes on me too though, I’m in the process of waterproofing my basement. Too much water out east, not enough in the west.
Good luck. Damn near impossible sometimes. You going for full-waterproof, able to finish it out and make living space? Or I just need a sump pump to keep the water below knee level? I've seen houses in PA where the ground water pressure is so high there's frickin water spouts shooting right out the cinder blocks in the basement walls.
sandtrack315
6/16/2022 4:58pm
FGR01 wrote:
Good luck. Damn near impossible sometimes. You going for full-waterproof, able to finish it out and make living space? Or I just need a sump pump...
Good luck. Damn near impossible sometimes. You going for full-waterproof, able to finish it out and make living space? Or I just need a sump pump to keep the water below knee level? I've seen houses in PA where the ground water pressure is so high there's frickin water spouts shooting right out the cinder blocks in the basement walls.
Just French drains around the outside for now. It’s an old house so it’s got 18 inches of stone as the foundation, with stucco on the inside. So far so good but I don’t like water up against the foundation with all the rain we get. Just installing a bit of drywall to frame the laundry and sink and cleaning up the stucco. Owning a home out here is basically just fighting water. At least our tracks stay wet though. Nowhere is perfect ha!
Skerby
6/16/2022 5:16pm
Got charged with reckless driving for riding a bone stock crf50 in traffic on a road with a 20 mph speed limit, I did a wheelie and got reckless for it. Got it dropped but its still ridiculous, first day on the force Im guessing for the arresting officer
TeamGreen
6/17/2022 9:41am
Big Lenny wrote:
Blush

At the 1.22 minute-mark in Len's video, you see these "Big City Wheelie-Biker Boyz or Whatever" RIDING THRU NEW YORK CITY like idiots.

And get this...

This is BY FAR "NOT THE WORST" I've seen; but, it takes back to the point of the thread...

There ARE NO NEW LAWS NEEDED.

Enforce the laws you've got.

As in...ENFORCE.

This is nuts.
gt80rider
6/17/2022 9:51am
This is Philly I know B) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/06/16/555484/s1200_12E0078E_57A5_4852_8059_B868EB14C605.jpg[/img]
This is Philly I know Cool

When I think of philly.... I think of Romona Africa.....

Post a reply to: Seizing "Illegal" dirt bikes in PA

The Latest