Seely's Crash

Johnny Depp
2/26/2018 7:58am Edited Date/Time 3/2/2018 6:30am
Prayers for Cole. It's horrible when an incident like this happens.

Now, 2 days later, we need the Vital analysis to begin. Something always has to be blamed. Let's state the obvious, Cole didn't clear the jump. No doubt the underlying cause was rider error. It appears that he came up so short that even the front wheel didn't clear, but the front didn't cause the crash. The rear kicked hard and fast when it hit, and over he went. He didn't almost ride it out on the front end, it was instant endo. I think he was going over whether there was another jump face or not.

There have already been a few threads about the track design. My question is, how many other rider's didn't clear the big jump (we can call it a quad since there were 3 bumps that didn't matter that got cleared) and what was their outcome? BB4 just ended up in the net (not the same landing).

What about the bike? When it is upside down after the crash, it is clear there is no linkage glide plate since you can see the bottom of the shock/linkage. If you "frame" the landing, should you be able to ride it out? Perhaps not enough rebound valving in the shock, yet it seemed not to affect Cole anywhere else.

So who has better photos or video of the crash? So far all I've seen is the TV footage.
|
Mace-x
2/26/2018 8:13am
it was not a super bad crash, i´m sure nothing would´ve happened but the bike hitting him was the big issue.

not much to analyze, he was super short, totally rider´s fault, i mean, case a quad that bad and i´m sure a stock bike would literally dissassmble itself, the bike actually seems to make a good job taking the landing but hey, there´s not much it can be done on a case that big.
2/26/2018 8:26am
seems like the Honda loves to injure great riders over the years tbh, I think its more of more guys being able to push the top pace and cole was simply trying to keep up. Wouldn't be surprised to see this more, Hill is just a more talented rider imo and that's it, Bagget almost canned it too

The Shop

2/26/2018 8:53am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2018 8:57am
Is coming up short on a jump and wadding somehow a new thing to you guys?

Seely's rear wheel slammed into his pelvis after the bike flipped end-over-end. You can see him grabbing his crotch while lying on the ground, waving for the medical team. Broken pelvis. Shit happens. He probably would have been fine had the bike not hit him. Bones aren't very forgiving when a 250 pound machine slams into them. Backs and femurs are often broken this way. He's damn lucky the bike didn't hit his spine.

TJ 755
2/26/2018 8:55am
He got popsicled by a CRF450. It really sucks, I like that kid alot.
DonM
2/26/2018 9:02am
A really horrible crash with really horrible results....I hope Cole has a complete recovery and comes back...with that said this shit with every incident that happens vitards believe they have to fix it...fix the starts, fix the tracks, fix the bikes...I guess humans can't make errors in an extremely difficult and dangerous sport...shit happens

Cole was the only rider that jumped it that clipped it the few others cleared that jump that tried...Baggett clipped the next quad that only him and Hill attempted.
PRM31
2/26/2018 9:15am
First, I hope is OK, relatively speaking of course.

Looked to me he cased it thus the rear suspension really wasn't much of a player in what happened.
2/26/2018 9:28am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/26/246210/s1200_25bo4d.jpg[/img]
Thank you sir for making my day!
Tpog496
2/26/2018 9:47am
Who's idea was it to have the track workers wear camouflage?
aeffertz
2/26/2018 9:57am
Lol, what is with the rear shock comment on every Honda crash?

The rear shock had nothing to do with this crash.
Donovan759
2/26/2018 10:03am
Is coming up short on a jump and wadding somehow a new thing to you guys? Seely's rear wheel slammed into his pelvis after the bike...
Is coming up short on a jump and wadding somehow a new thing to you guys?

Seely's rear wheel slammed into his pelvis after the bike flipped end-over-end. You can see him grabbing his crotch while lying on the ground, waving for the medical team. Broken pelvis. Shit happens. He probably would have been fine had the bike not hit him. Bones aren't very forgiving when a 250 pound machine slams into them. Backs and femurs are often broken this way. He's damn lucky the bike didn't hit his spine.

Much ty for the expert advice, broseph.
Kenny Lingus
2/26/2018 10:15am
The laws of physics need to be repealed. Way too many riders getting hurt because of these so called laws.
fanger
2/26/2018 10:24am
Just bummed for cole, if I had to say I had a favourite rider, it would be him definitely.

The rider in second place has crashed out of the series 3 rounds in a row now. Crazy stuff.
greenmx5
2/26/2018 11:45am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2018 11:46am
You can crash rolling through the whoops on a practice lap and get paralyzed or crash going 60 and roll like a rag doll and walk away. Not sure if you're new to the sport, but shit happens.

If the bike doesn't hit Cole, he walks away.
Fourth_Floor
2/26/2018 11:45am
Serious question because I've always just froze or bailed in "coming up short situations" but I noticed a few of these guys, if they know they are coming up short, prefer land with the front wheel first. Is there a reason for that? Are they knowingly trying to absorb as much impact as possible with their front suspension?
2/26/2018 12:16pm
Serious question because I've always just froze or bailed in "coming up short situations" but I noticed a few of these guys, if they know they...
Serious question because I've always just froze or bailed in "coming up short situations" but I noticed a few of these guys, if they know they are coming up short, prefer land with the front wheel first. Is there a reason for that? Are they knowingly trying to absorb as much impact as possible with their front suspension?
I would say "yes", Their front forks are so stiff in SX that they can front case much much harder than the avarage Joe on his MX setup. You see it all the time in SX that they front case hard without any major issues.
kkawboy14
2/26/2018 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2018 12:36pm
Serious question because I've always just froze or bailed in "coming up short situations" but I noticed a few of these guys, if they know they...
They don’t make their front end go down, they make the rear end go up, (that can be accomplished either by chopping the throttle or hitting the rear brake) so as to fly farther/as far as it possibly can go even if that means coming up short.

You may do what some of my friends do when panicking, which is panic rev and that sucks the rear end down, effectively making you come up even shorter than you would have if just didn’t panic.

Many times it will look like a Pro is coming up short but they may be doing that on purpose effectively using that landing jump to slow themselves down, maybe to make a turn afterwards or to hit a slower section that is coming after a faster rhythm
kiwifan
2/26/2018 12:37pm
I think what is interesting is various riders (not just Honda ones!) making technical errors and crashing...some with injuries some getting off scot free. I dont think you can blame the bikes at all, should we be making the tracks easier to ride?
kkawboy14
2/26/2018 12:47pm
Oh I forgot to do the vital diagnosis:

1) obviously the jump was built wrong, take off and landing
2) shouldn’t have a tempting 4th jump there.
3) wrong kind of dirt used to build the track.
4) probably had a motor bogg/need to check that ASAP
5) pelvises are overrated, I lost mine years ago.
6) I think he’s just a cry baby trying to collect workman’s comp.
7) probably never ride again.
psychotronBR
Fantasy
1478th
2/26/2018 1:21pm
“He underwent an initial procedure Saturday evening to realign the pelvis. On Sunday, a more extensive operation was performed to repair substantial damage to his abdominal wall, fixate the pelvis with a large plate and screws, and insert a screw on each side of the sacrum."

Got this from Racer X. This sounds like an absolute nightmare of an injury, i can't even begin to imagine what kind of hell he's going through.

I feel so bad for him, he's one of my favorite riders out there. Heal up soon Cole!
2/26/2018 1:28pm
I'm pretty sure Ralph and Fro's commentary caused his crash. It's obvious.
PastranaWho
2/26/2018 1:31pm
“He underwent an initial procedure Saturday evening to realign the pelvis. On Sunday, a more extensive operation was performed to repair substantial damage to his abdominal...
“He underwent an initial procedure Saturday evening to realign the pelvis. On Sunday, a more extensive operation was performed to repair substantial damage to his abdominal wall, fixate the pelvis with a large plate and screws, and insert a screw on each side of the sacrum."

Got this from Racer X. This sounds like an absolute nightmare of an injury, i can't even begin to imagine what kind of hell he's going through.

I feel so bad for him, he's one of my favorite riders out there. Heal up soon Cole!
Thats a long list, I wish him a full recovery. I dont know how these guys do it with all the injuries.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
763rd
2/26/2018 1:36pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/26/246210/s1200_25bo4d.jpg[/img]
Sheriff245 wrote:
Thank you sir for making my day!
Made my day! Like trying to analyze the "seat bounce". Man I miss Teefus..
Gixxxerboy
2/26/2018 3:35pm
Word has it JLAW is looking for a ride
ProKawi24
2/26/2018 3:45pm
I can't imagine Seely riding outdoors at all. Two 30 minute motos on rough tracks....ouch. It might take a long time to get fully healed and full range of motion back. Hip/Pelvis injuries from what I understand can linger for the rest of your life as far as pain and stiffness go.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
2/26/2018 3:47pm
Someone built the landing too tall
Frank
2/26/2018 4:31pm
“He underwent an initial procedure Saturday evening to realign the pelvis. On Sunday, a more extensive operation was performed to repair substantial damage to his abdominal...

Thoughts and prayers sent your way Cole. Keep positive thoughts.
MX45
2/26/2018 5:31pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2018 5:31pm
Check all that apply

A- Stadiums are for playing with balls
B- Wouldn't have happened on a 2 stroke
C- Octopus conspiracy
D- Shit happens
E- Don't call it a quad over a table

Post a reply to: Seely's Crash

The Latest