Securing your bike

Related:
Create New Tag

10/12/2018 6:38 PM

Any hints/tips on locks and/or chains you use to secure your bike at home?

|

10/12/2018 6:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2018 6:42 PM

other than insurance, I run a cable thru the bikes and secured to a work bench, then rotor locks. (disc style locks)

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

10/12/2018 6:42 PM

Live in a town of 1000 people and block out your windows lol

|

10/12/2018 6:43 PM

|

10/12/2018 7:18 PM

Just keep em in my garage. My garage is it's own building in my backyard, and my 120 dog doesnt like strangers.

|

10/12/2018 7:47 PM

Gun, insurance, and a GPS tracker in case they get it when I'm not around. Being in Australia I don't think you have the luxury of protecting yourself with an AK47, so perhaps go with a guard dog. If someone wants something bad enough, they will get it.

|

10/12/2018 8:01 PM

Chain it to something solid.
Make your garage/shed well secured, windows protected, good locks, sensor lighting or camera, perhaps alarm.
Can’t beat a big guard dog.

|

"Nothing happens until something moves"

10/12/2018 8:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2018 8:17 PM

Beat advise. Make sure you're insured. Move away from the hood.

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Specialized Fuse Comp 29.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

10/25/2018 12:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/25/2018 12:29 PM

Put the bike on a scissor stand, remove the wheels and store them elsewhere.

Remove front brake lever.

GPS tracking and trickle charger.

|

10/25/2018 12:51 PM

Make sure you put a zip tie on the garage door release hook. This prevents someone from using a coat hanger to pop it from the outside

|

10/25/2018 2:58 PM

Just get a pair of nosey ass neighbors that have no life and are constantly looking out the window to patrol the front yard. Also make sure they love to hang security camera's everywhere .... Like mine. Pros and cons

|

10/25/2018 3:21 PM

Insurance. Also have a state trooper & local officer on my street of 20 homes.

|

10/25/2018 4:02 PM

I'm just totally blessed to live in a really small town 30 miles from anywhere. It can be inconvenient but home security is not even on my radar. When I moved in about 20 years ago the old lady handed me a cigar box full of keys to the house. Not a single one of them fit any door in the place. I finally got around to installing new locks just last year. Lots of guns, mean dogs and lack of threat. Stupid I know but I doubt a strange car could drive 2 blocks in this burg without somebody writing down the tag number. Hell, the deputy sheriff that lives here will follow any strange car and ask what they're doing in town. Honestly, crime is something these folks only see on the news.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

10/25/2018 4:22 PM

.45 magnum and a loud dog

|

10/25/2018 4:23 PM

plowboy wrote:

I'm just totally blessed to live in a really small town 30 miles from anywhere. It can be inconvenient but home security is not even on my radar. When I moved in about 20 years ago the old lady handed me a cigar box full of keys to the house. Not a single one of them fit any door in the place. I finally got around to installing new locks just last year. Lots of guns, mean dogs and lack of threat. Stupid I know but I doubt a strange car could drive 2 blocks in this burg without somebody writing down the tag number. Hell, the deputy sheriff that lives here will follow any strange car and ask what they're doing in town. Honestly, crime is something these folks only see on the news.

Any houses for sale out your way? Lol

|

10/25/2018 4:25 PM

plowboy wrote:

I'm just totally blessed to live in a really small town 30 miles from anywhere. It can be inconvenient but home security is not even on my radar. When I moved in about 20 years ago the old lady handed me a cigar box full of keys to the house. Not a single one of them fit any door in the place. I finally got around to installing new locks just last year. Lots of guns, mean dogs and lack of threat. Stupid I know but I doubt a strange car could drive 2 blocks in this burg without somebody writing down the tag number. Hell, the deputy sheriff that lives here will follow any strange car and ask what they're doing in town. Honestly, crime is something these folks only see on the news.

Spudnut wrote:

Any houses for sale out your way? Lol

Lol...always.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

10/25/2018 4:29 PM

NotBadYourself100 wrote:

Any hints/tips on locks and/or chains you use to secure your bike at home?

A product called Skunk lock.
When someone starts to cut it the product will displace a chemical dry compound in the air, and makes the thief puke.

|

10/25/2018 4:45 PM

Keep_Riding78 wrote:

A product called Skunk lock.
When someone starts to cut it the product will displace a chemical dry compound in the air, and makes the thief puke.

Around here that would be something a snowflake would buy/use...lol. We want something that EXPLODES or sprays acidpinch

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

10/25/2018 4:58 PM

NotBadYourself100 wrote:

Any hints/tips on locks and/or chains you use to secure your bike at home?

Keep_Riding78 wrote:

A product called Skunk lock.
When someone starts to cut it the product will displace a chemical dry compound in the air, and makes the thief puke.

plowboy wrote:

Around here that would be something a snowflake would buy/use...lol. We want something that EXPLODES or sprays acidpinch

Haha! Did I mention for every purchase comes a 28 pack of Sam Adam's Oktoberfest BEER!

|

10/25/2018 5:47 PM

NotBadYourself100 wrote:

Any hints/tips on locks and/or chains you use to secure your bike at home?

Keep_Riding78 wrote:

A product called Skunk lock.
When someone starts to cut it the product will displace a chemical dry compound in the air, and makes the thief puke.

Is there DNA in puke?

|

10/25/2018 7:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/25/2018 7:36 PM

NotBadYourself100 wrote:

Any hints/tips on locks and/or chains you use to secure your bike at home?

Keep_Riding78 wrote:

A product called Skunk lock.
When someone starts to cut it the product will displace a chemical dry compound in the air, and makes the thief puke.

Sheriff245 wrote:

Is there DNA in puke?

I would assume there is. They can get DNA from saliva on a cigarette. I would submit a bag of puke to one of those DNA sites and get a full list of family members names and go from there. Lol

FWIW I was watching a show a while back where they interviewed former thieves about ways they broke in, what they were after and other stuff. They got into how they picked one house over the other, and what would deter them from a particular house. The all laughed at people leaving the lights or tv on, ADT signs in the yard, and cameras. They said those were easy to deal with and that the biggest deterrent was a “Beware of Dog” sign. Kind of surprised me that they didn’t really give a shit about security systems and cameras. They also said every house is virtually the same on the inside, and the valuables are almost always in the master bedroom.

|

10/25/2018 7:38 PM

Double U lock, or triple, attached to something very heavy/or column on one end, and the other to the frame of the bike? Just thought of this idea.

|

10/26/2018 7:09 AM


2 weeks ago I was woken up to my garage door opening. It was 430 am so I thought maybe it was my neighbor(town house). I went down stairs to check. I open the inside door to the garage and there are 2 dick heads in my garage trying to take my 450 and my 1500 dollar bmx bike. I yell right away and they run. I go back inside to grab my firearm and have my gf call 911. I come back 30-40 seconds later and the 2 dick heads actually came back and took the stuff again and this time I didn't see them. I run into the road and I see one of them throwing my bmx into there vehicle about 100 feet away. I run towards him and he takes off. no clue where my dirtbike went. Cops show up and right away get the k9 unit to sniff the vehicle(stolen jeep Cherokee). Few minutes go by and I swear about 10-15 cops show up to find these guys. On guy ended up getting found by the k9 unit and the other guy got chased but ended up getting away. These break ins have been happing a ton lately so the cops took it very serious.


A few hours later cops found my bike laying on its side one street over. my complex is huge and very very hilly to the guy didn't get far trying to push it. only damage was a stuffed in radiator from dropping it in my garage.


The guys broke a window in our cars and found a garage door opener in her car. I never thought to have her take it out at night.


I ended up getting 2 ring security cameras. one for the front and one for the back. and chaining my bike up with this

Pewag hardened chain. and Viro Lock. Both cannot be broken with bolt cutter. And the anchor is is actually lagged into the concrete with 3/8 concrete anchor bolts.

Photo
Photo
Photo






|

10/26/2018 7:12 AM

guy they caught got charged pretty good. I found him on facebook. He was one of those inner city bikelife clowns.


53a-101
BURGLARY 1ST DEG
B
Felony

53a-124
LARCENY 3RD DEG
D
Felony

53a-116
CRIMINAL MISCHIEF 2ND DEG
A
Misdemeanor

53a-167a
INTERFERE WITH OFFCR/RESISTING
A
Misdemeanor

53a-125
LARCENY 4TH DEG
A
Misdemeanor

53a-122
LARCENY 1ST DEG
B
Felony




|

10/26/2018 9:53 AM

fourfourone wrote:

guy they caught got charged pretty good. I found him on facebook. He was one of those inner city bikelife clowns.


53a-101
BURGLARY 1ST DEG
B
Felony

53a-124
LARCENY 3RD DEG
D
Felony

53a-116
CRIMINAL MISCHIEF 2ND DEG
A
Misdemeanor

53a-167a
INTERFERE WITH OFFCR/RESISTING
A
Misdemeanor

53a-125
LARCENY 4TH DEG
A
Misdemeanor

53a-122
LARCENY 1ST DEG
B
Felony




I can’t imagine the looks on their faces or thought process when you opened the door lol. I can’t believe that they came back though after you went to get your gun.

I would’ve been worried one of them had a gun, to be honest I’m sure one of them did.

|

10/26/2018 10:07 AM

throughout the chase the cops found 2 bb gun pistols. I do live in a good area but most these younger guys coming to commit the crimes are low level smash and grab thieves. The stolen car they were in was filled with stolen petty crap out of peoples cars. Im pretty sure the only way they knew that I had a bike was because the stickers on my truck and my ramp was still in the back from riding over the weekend. On of my neighbors trucks was gone through the same night.


Certain part of me is glad I did not have my pistol the fist time. If I had shot one of them I probably would have been the one in jail. sucks but that's how it is.

|

10/26/2018 10:15 AM

fourfourone wrote:
2 weeks ago I was woken up to my garage door opening. It was 430 am so I thought maybe it was my neighbor(town house). I went down stairs to check. I open the inside door to the garage and there are 2 dick heads in my garage trying to take my 450 and my 1500 dollar bmx bike. I yell right away and they run. I go back inside to grab my firearm and have my gf call 911. I come back 30-40 seconds later and the 2 dick heads actually came back and took the stuff again and this time I didn't see them. I run into the road and I see one of them throwing my bmx into there vehicle about 100 feet away. I run towards him and he takes off. no clue where my dirtbike went. Cops show up and right away get the k9 unit to sniff the vehicle(stolen jeep Cherokee). Few minutes go by and I swear about 10-15 cops show up to find these guys. On guy ended up getting found by the k9 unit and the other guy got chased but ended up getting away. These break ins have been happing a ton lately so the cops took it very serious.


A few hours later cops found my bike laying on its side one street over. my complex is huge and very very hilly to the guy didn't get far trying to push it. only damage was a stuffed in radiator from dropping it in my garage.


The guys broke a window in our cars and found a garage door opener in her car. I never thought to have her take it out at night.


I ended up getting 2 ring security cameras. one for the front and one for the back. and chaining my bike up with this

Pewag hardened chain. and Viro Lock. Both cannot be broken with bolt cutter. And the anchor is is actually lagged into the concrete with 3/8 concrete anchor bolts.

Photo
Photo
Photo






Peweg chain is the best.

https://www.westechrigging.com/chain-pewag-square-security-chain.html

Watch the video.

|

"Hope is not a strategy"

10/26/2018 10:18 AM

We freaked last night. I was in the shower and my wife says the door chime just went off. I shut the shower off and she has a pistol in each hand already like tomb raider. Then we hear my 11 year old son yell "the dog puked in my bed". Discussion shortly after that about give a holler at us before opening the door to throw the dog outside.

|

10/26/2018 10:38 AM

fourfourone wrote:
2 weeks ago I was woken up to my garage door opening. It was 430 am so I thought maybe it was my neighbor(town house). I went down stairs to check. I open the inside door to the garage and there are 2 dick heads in my garage trying to take my 450 and my 1500 dollar bmx bike. I yell right away and they run. I go back inside to grab my firearm and have my gf call 911. I come back 30-40 seconds later and the 2 dick heads actually came back and took the stuff again and this time I didn't see them. I run into the road and I see one of them throwing my bmx into there vehicle about 100 feet away. I run towards him and he takes off. no clue where my dirtbike went. Cops show up and right away get the k9 unit to sniff the vehicle(stolen jeep Cherokee). Few minutes go by and I swear about 10-15 cops show up to find these guys. On guy ended up getting found by the k9 unit and the other guy got chased but ended up getting away. These break ins have been happing a ton lately so the cops took it very serious.


A few hours later cops found my bike laying on its side one street over. my complex is huge and very very hilly to the guy didn't get far trying to push it. only damage was a stuffed in radiator from dropping it in my garage.


The guys broke a window in our cars and found a garage door opener in her car. I never thought to have her take it out at night.


I ended up getting 2 ring security cameras. one for the front and one for the back. and chaining my bike up with this

Pewag hardened chain. and Viro Lock. Both cannot be broken with bolt cutter. And the anchor is is actually lagged into the concrete with 3/8 concrete anchor bolts.

Photo
Photo
Photo






piscokid wrote:

Peweg chain is the best.

https://www.westechrigging.com/chain-pewag-square-security-chain.html

Watch the video.

that's the video that mad me buy it. good luck trying to take my bike now.

|

10/26/2018 12:03 PM

I've never seen the Pewag chain or locks before so thanks for sharing.

A few questions though; how do you secure everything when transporting the bike? The chain wouldn't likely be able to loop through the tie down mounts in a truck bed and most of the locks I see wouldn't be able to accommodate the two loose ends and also mount to the truck tie down loop simultaneously.

|