Second Moto gate pick in AMA nationals

Related:
Create New Tag

7/9/2018 12:37 PM

Is based on moto 1 finish?

If so, that’s stupid. What’s the point of qualifying if you get bumped to last pick by a moto 1 mechanical that you have no control over?

|

7/9/2018 12:38 PM

Hasn’t it been like that forever?

|

7/9/2018 12:38 PM

Moto 1

|

7/9/2018 12:52 PM

"What’s the point of qualifying"
To get a first moto gate pick.

What's the point of holding a 20 minute moto on Saturday?
To get a first AND second moto gate pick.
|

7/9/2018 12:57 PM

T-Fish wrote:

Hasn’t it been like that forever?

Not where he's from, but yes, it has.

|

7/9/2018 1:00 PM

How else would you determine second moto gate picks? Isn't the obvious answer by moto one result?? How else would you do it if not that... I dunno. Maybe a bare knuckle fight among the mechanics?

|

7/9/2018 1:07 PM

Its dumb... qualifying is qualifying.. you get taken down in turn 1 and have a DNF through no fault of your own, and you get screwed over for race 2 as well.

|

7/9/2018 1:09 PM

Robgvx wrote:

If so, that’s stupid. What’s the point of qualifying if you get bumped to last pick by a moto 1 ...more

It's a brand new rule, started at this round, just to foul up Eli.
Part of the master plan.

|

7/9/2018 1:22 PM

RC would have had no problem winning that Moto with the 40th gate pick. Not messing with world class talent in positions 10-40th, I’m surprised a pissed off Eli didn’t smoke them in Moto 2
|

7/9/2018 1:27 PM

Lol.

|

7/9/2018 1:28 PM

TXDirt wrote:

How else would you determine second moto gate picks? Isn't the obvious answer by moto one result?? How else would you do it if ...more

You determine it by qualifying result. That’s what qualifying is for.

|

7/9/2018 1:38 PM

I know this isn't the direction the op was going but I always thought it would be cool if they occasionally inverted the gate pick for second moto. So you qualify 1st you get first gate pick in the first moto and if you win you get the points for winning but last gate pick next moto. Would make the motos interesting seeing all the top riders have horrible gate picks and have to fight each other as well as through the pack. And yes I know this would be absolutely unfair and I'm not claiming anything otherwise just that it would be cool to see. They did something similar in arenacross to add some excitement.

|

7/9/2018 1:38 PM

TXDirt wrote:

How else would you determine second moto gate picks? Isn't the obvious answer by moto one result?? How else would you do it if ...more

Robgvx wrote:

Qualifying results determines first moto gate pick. Why would you use qualifying result for second moto pick as well?

Are we being trolled here??

|

7/9/2018 1:40 PM

I like it the way it is. It allows for a guy who maybe didn't qualify very well to help himself out with a good first moto. I imagine it would suck to win the first moto but still have 5th gate pick or whatever which I believe is how it works in the GPs. I may be wrong on that though.

|

7/9/2018 1:43 PM

TXDirt wrote:

Robgvx wrote:

TXDirt wrote:

Qualifying results determines first moto gate pick. Why would you use qualifying result for second moto pick as well?

Are we ...more

In the GPs they use the qualifying result for the gate pick in both motos, not just the first. So I think that's where the confusion comes from.

|

7/9/2018 1:44 PM

Tomac doesn't finish the moto and doesn't deserve a bad gate pick in the 2nd moto? Snowflakes all around....

|

7/9/2018 1:47 PM

Motocross has a gate system, perhaps the fairest most even method in any motorsport.
Gate pick is like splitting hairs, there is plenty of time to get the job done in a 30+ 2 laps even if you muff the start. Random gate picks would likely not change the results enough to notice.

|

7/9/2018 1:59 PM

Mechanicals are part of racing. And if we start trying to even things out for stuff "that you have no control over", that is a slippery slope indeed. Racing is racing and racers race.

|

7/9/2018 2:46 PM

TXDirt wrote:

Robgvx wrote:

TXDirt wrote:

Are we ...more

I don’t troll.

I know full well how it works over there. However I just think it’s a stupid idea. You have timed qualifying, where riders have multiple opportunities to post a fast lap. Crash, or break down, and you have another chance. The fastest guys get first pick - that’s the whole idea. I don’t see the fairness, therefore, in one of the fastest riders, who earned their good gate pick, getting an arbitrary last pick for the second moto through a freak mechanical breakdown or getting taken out in the first turn.

It’s never been that way in GPs, to my knowledge.

No loyalties to specific riders here. I couldn’t care less who wins.

|

7/9/2018 2:47 PM

We all realize Rob is a former MXGP racer. eh?

|

7/9/2018 2:53 PM

Robgvx wrote:

If so, that’s stupid. What’s the point of qualifying if you get bumped to last pick by a moto 1 ...more

AMA doesn't have a full on qualifying "race". They simply have practice which dictates the first Moto gate pick based off of fast laps in practice. Moto 2 goes off of first Moto score. It makes sense since the AMA doesn't have a full qualifying race like the GPs.

|

7/9/2018 2:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2018 2:56 PM

Robgvx wrote:

TXDirt wrote:

Are we ...more

Robgvx wrote:

I don’t troll.

I know full well how it works over there. However I just think it’s a stupid idea. You have timed qualifying, ...more

But how is it not "fair" when it's the same for everyone? If that's your only argument then it doesn't make sense. Not being "fair" would mean certain things would benefit certain riders. That's not the case. If Marvin had DNF'd the first Moto he would have got a bad gate pick like Eli did.

Now, if you think it's stupid that's totally cool. Everyone has their own opinions. But to say it isn't "fair" is just plain wrong.

|

7/9/2018 3:10 PM

But you dont get 'fair' ... DNF moto 1 , you get a DNF and a shitty gate for race 2, and all the crap that goes with it, DNF race 2, doesnt affect anything other than that race.

We have 10 row grid starts in SM, and the run the same dumb rules. Get wiped out in turn 1 of race one, you may as well pack up and go home, Back row start for race 2 and whatever you make up for race 3.

If they did it properly, Osborne might still be on for the championship.

|

7/9/2018 3:10 PM

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but, what if you had a mechanical in the GP qualifying race and get last pick for both motos. Would that be twice as dumb?

|

7/9/2018 3:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2018 3:13 PM

philG wrote:

But you dont get 'fair' ... DNF moto 1 , you get a DNF and a shitty gate for race 2, and all the crap that goes with it, DNF ...more

You do get "fair." The rules are the same for everyone. If Cairoli DNFs the qualifying race in the GP's then he gets last gate pick for both motos that actually score you points. I think that's kind of dumb but that's the way it is and it is absolutely 100% fair because it's the same rules for everyone.

Edit: ktmdan beat me to that point.

|

7/9/2018 3:15 PM

TXDirt wrote:

Robgvx wrote:

TXDirt wrote:

Are we ...more

I don't think we are being trolled, there are just some goofy people across the pond who have no clue. pinch

|

Ed Johnson

7/9/2018 3:17 PM

I've never given it any thought but maybe they should take qualifying and first moto combined to lessen the impact of a DNF on a top rider while still giving a boost for a good first moto. Plus it would make things more complicated, that's always good.

|

7/9/2018 3:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2018 3:42 PM

What happenes in MXGP if you have a mechanical in your qualifying race and finish last. Do they still give you a good gate pick based off of your qualifying or do you get a shitty gate pick, but now for both motos. Kind of has that dumb ring to it that the OP is referring to doesn’t it?

PS: I get royalty payments based off of likes to my post, so it you all wouldn’t mind punching that little thumbs up right down there.
|
|
|
V

|

7/9/2018 3:44 PM

downard254 wrote:

What happenes in MXGP if you have a mechanical in your qualifying race and finish last. Do they still give you a good gate ...more

Shitty gate pick for both motos.

|

7/11/2018 12:42 PM

I think the system is best the way it is. A strong finish in the first actual RACE should take precedence over anything done in qualifying.

|