Seattle track ?

Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
4/7/2018 5:42pm
Under conditions like this why don't they
Eliminate some jumps and cut others in half
So they could still Race
Instead of just pick three way around the track ,?
|
drt410
4/7/2018 9:30pm
Doogle fouster
kb228
4/7/2018 9:53pm
They did dude
p0wn
4/9/2018 10:47am
What I'm wondering is why they don't just bring in a bunch of St. Helens post eruption dirt. That shit is at Riverdale and Woodland(WA mx tracks) and seems to hold up the best in these shit ass conditions. It drains really well doesn't seem to clump as much. There's tons(literally) of it in the area.
tkimb
4/9/2018 11:29am
They should have a back up design for the couple rounds that could have weather like this. No whoops, no triples, leave the finish line jump throw in a bunch of doubles or something.

The Shop

portx
4/9/2018 1:05pm
Riverdale and Woodland are natural surfaces, this is a bunch of dirt piled on plywood, you are comparing apples and oranges. No way a man made track on top of wood will ever drain like a track that has been in the elements for years and years.
p0wn
4/9/2018 1:45pm
portx wrote:
Riverdale and Woodland are natural surfaces, this is a bunch of dirt piled on plywood, you are comparing apples and oranges. No way a man made...
Riverdale and Woodland are natural surfaces, this is a bunch of dirt piled on plywood, you are comparing apples and oranges. No way a man made track on top of wood will ever drain like a track that has been in the elements for years and years.
The dirt is better in those places than what was on the supercross track. Those tracks wouldn't be ridable if they had all that sticky shit there. Did you see all the dudes tires when they'd roll off the track? They were slicks made out of mud.

Doesn't happen when I ride the above mentioned tracks. It happens when you go and ride some desert mud though. It's definitely the choice in dirt. Not saying it's gonna be a great supercross but won't be as shitty as Saturday was.

It's not just about the drainage though it would help given they'd laid a bunch of gravel down on top of the plywood and then put dirt over it. It's about how that dirt rides vs the shit that was in seattle this year.

JustMX
4/9/2018 1:50pm
And so what happens when that dirt is dry?
JB 19
4/9/2018 2:00pm
I would be more curious to know why they can't use the baseball stadium next door that has a roof. Obviously, the race would have to be before baseball season. Maybe it's a problem with hurting the grass?
zehn
4/9/2018 2:06pm
JB 19 wrote:
I would be more curious to know why they can't use the baseball stadium next door that has a roof. Obviously, the race would have to...
I would be more curious to know why they can't use the baseball stadium next door that has a roof. Obviously, the race would have to be before baseball season. Maybe it's a problem with hurting the grass?
GuyB said they are building a roof for the football stadium too
KMC440
4/9/2018 3:04pm
It would've been better if they added bout 15thousand gallons of water
4/10/2018 8:40am
Did they use different dirt this year too? Last year in Seattle they said it like this "glacial" sand base, and it was pretty grey in color. Seems like the sandier soil might have been a little better for a mudder (not that the water would really be able to drain anywhere, but maybe not get quite as sticky). If it was the same pile of dirt that they used it sure looked different to me....
4/10/2018 9:59am
JB 19 wrote:
I would be more curious to know why they can't use the baseball stadium next door that has a roof. Obviously, the race would have to...
zehn wrote:
?

That's a publicly owned stadium. That type of renovation couldn't occur without a significant public process -- one that I have never heard discussed.
zehn
4/10/2018 10:01am
?

That's a publicly owned stadium. That type of renovation couldn't occur without a significant public process -- one that I have never heard discussed.
I suppose I hadn't thought of that. I guess technically he only alluded to them building the roof
operator
4/10/2018 10:02am
portx wrote:
Riverdale and Woodland are natural surfaces, this is a bunch of dirt piled on plywood, you are comparing apples and oranges. No way a man made...
p0wn wrote:
The dirt is better in those places than what was on the supercross track. Those tracks wouldn't be ridable if they had all that sticky shit...
The dirt is better in those places than what was on the supercross track. Those tracks wouldn't be ridable if they had all that sticky shit there. Did you see all the dudes tires when they'd roll off the track? They were slicks made out of mud.

Doesn't happen when I ride the above mentioned tracks. It happens when you go and ride some desert mud though. It's definitely the choice in dirt. Not saying it's gonna be a great supercross but won't be as shitty as Saturday was.

It's not just about the drainage though it would help given they'd laid a bunch of gravel down on top of the plywood and then put dirt over it. It's about how that dirt rides vs the shit that was in seattle this year.

There was a road base put down.
300exc
4/10/2018 10:47am
Did they use different dirt this year too? Last year in Seattle they said it like this "glacial" sand base, and it was pretty grey in...
Did they use different dirt this year too? Last year in Seattle they said it like this "glacial" sand base, and it was pretty grey in color. Seems like the sandier soil might have been a little better for a mudder (not that the water would really be able to drain anywhere, but maybe not get quite as sticky). If it was the same pile of dirt that they used it sure looked different to me....
New dirt this year, much more of a clay base.
I think they were trying to minimize the ruts that formed last year with no rain.
I doubt anyone expected it to turn out like that, but I thought the racing was great.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
4/10/2018 11:59am
JB 19 wrote:
zehn wrote:
I think that was a joke, because the stadium has a partial roof over the stands.

Also from what I have heard the access getting into Safeco Field for dump trucks/heavy equipment doesn’t exist. Most stadiums have giant tunnels to be able to be multi discipline venues, but they designed it to keep it baseball only.
Polski934
4/10/2018 12:00pm
I think its time to find a new venue, other than the rainiest city in the country during the rainy season...

That was some serious sticky clay, almost like cement drying. I am still enjoying all the comments from the cross-country guys that say "we ride in that every week" or "novice gncc guys would have won" lol.
mxpro252
4/10/2018 12:50pm
Polski934 wrote:
I think its time to find a new venue, other than the rainiest city in the country during the rainy season... That was some serious sticky...
I think its time to find a new venue, other than the rainiest city in the country during the rainy season...

That was some serious sticky clay, almost like cement drying. I am still enjoying all the comments from the cross-country guys that say "we ride in that every week" or "novice gncc guys would have won" lol.
Or push it out a few more weeks. The chance of rain in Seattle goes down a lot from April 1 to May 1.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
4/10/2018 1:02pm
Polski934 wrote:
I think its time to find a new venue, other than the rainiest city in the country during the rainy season... That was some serious sticky...

mxpro252 wrote:
Or push it out a few more weeks. The chance of rain in Seattle goes down a lot from April 1 to May 1.
The only answer is pushing the end of Supercross later in the year to accommodate the northern cities weather. Cities like Seattle, Salt Lake, New York, Boston, etc. all have open air football stadiums that are always sketchy weather wise, but there’s not enough warm weather weekends during the SX season.
4/10/2018 2:03pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2018 2:24pm
The city is fine. It's a beautiful city with an established corporate base in a national region that has an active interest in MX.

The venue is fine. It is a top level venue that routinely successfully houses other high-end sporting events, wherein it is considered one of the best in the country.

The crowds are fine. They show up rain or shine, and attendance has never been the issue at this event

The weather is fine. It is predictably wet in one of the wettest regions of the country, but I again remind you, it is a region in which the sport excels in participation in these wet conditions.

It seems to me, the only issue that stands judgement is a single promoter's ability to build an entertaining event within the constraints of what we have already determined are a fine city, venue, crowd, and weather for said event.

So, that's just just shitty event promotion and production. Why should we blame any other factor?
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
4/10/2018 2:20pm
JB 19 wrote:
zehn wrote:
I think that was a joke, because the stadium has a partial roof over the stands. Also from what I have heard the access getting into...
I think that was a joke, because the stadium has a partial roof over the stands.

Also from what I have heard the access getting into Safeco Field for dump trucks/heavy equipment doesn’t exist. Most stadiums have giant tunnels to be able to be multi discipline venues, but they designed it to keep it baseball only.
Kirk is correct. I was joking.
mx617
4/10/2018 3:02pm
I've been to Seattle 4 or 5 years in arrow now (skipping the cancelled years obviously) and it's always been a great round. Even last year, I think it was the wrong decision to shorten the program. Track broke down but was still rideable. This year is the only year that I think the weather has been a real issue, and if you had last year's dirt in there I think it would have been way better.

As for track adjustments, if they would shorten the gaps on the jumps a bit that would make them easier to clear on a muddy track, I do agree there.
Polski934
4/11/2018 7:45am
[b]The city is fine.[/b] It's a beautiful city with an established corporate base in a national region that has an active interest in MX. [b]The venue...
The city is fine. It's a beautiful city with an established corporate base in a national region that has an active interest in MX.

The venue is fine. It is a top level venue that routinely successfully houses other high-end sporting events, wherein it is considered one of the best in the country.

The crowds are fine. They show up rain or shine, and attendance has never been the issue at this event

The weather is fine. It is predictably wet in one of the wettest regions of the country, but I again remind you, it is a region in which the sport excels in participation in these wet conditions.

It seems to me, the only issue that stands judgement is a single promoter's ability to build an entertaining event within the constraints of what we have already determined are a fine city, venue, crowd, and weather for said event.

So, that's just just shitty event promotion and production. Why should we blame any other factor?
Hmmmm....the city is great but it is a largely tech based industry which usually doesn't line up with blue collar motosports.

The venue is great for football in the fall, not SX in the spring. Two years in a row of crap conditions. (Move it up in the schedule before baseball and have it at Safeco with a roof, but probably too cold then)

You have to admit the crowds would be much better of the conditions were improved.

The weather is not fine, its depressing.

It seems all these considered together make it a bad option/location and not only blamed on the event promoter.

Post a reply to: Seattle track ?

The Latest