Seattle SX Track Map - Cross Traffic?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/7/2019 8:44 PM

[Forgive me for being a supercross noob. Please go easy on me.]

While looking at the Seattle SX track map, I noticed the straight after the first turn crosses the rest of the track a few times. No big deal, happens all the time... However, on this track the very end of the start is only one corner away from doubling back on itself. Suppose someone goes down in the first turn... where will they enter the main race line if riders are already crossing their path?

Photo

|

1/7/2019 8:47 PM

Broseph wrote:

[Forgive me for being a supercross noob. Please go easy on me.]

While looking at the Seattle SX track map, I noticed the ...more

If you follow it that first section will only be used on the start it looks like where it crosses the sand

|

Thank you,
Fly Racing, WPS, Dt-1, Mika Metals, Maxima, 100%, Motostuff, Factory Connection, Evs

1/7/2019 8:47 PM

After turn 1 they go all the way back to the lane that is closest to the start gate, and have to go through 5 lanes before they get to the turn at the end of the start straight. There will be plenty of time to attend to a rider down at the end of the start straight before the entire pack gets there.

|

1/7/2019 8:52 PM

Edit: I circled the intersection in question and added arrows. Am I not seeing this right?

Photo

|

1/7/2019 8:54 PM

If it takes the rider(s) that fall a while to get going, could be hectic.blink

|

1/7/2019 9:02 PM

Broseph wrote:

Edit: I circled the intersection in question and added arrows. Am I not seeing this right?

Photo

They only cross that section for the start afterwards it’s just back and forth

|

Thank you,
Fly Racing, WPS, Dt-1, Mika Metals, Maxima, 100%, Motostuff, Factory Connection, Evs

1/7/2019 9:03 PM

I know what you mean Brosephlaughing

|

1/7/2019 9:09 PM

Broseph wrote:

Photo

Bennett59 wrote:

That's what I was asking. Specifically off the start. If riders go down in the first corner, they then have to ride crossways until they get to the red circle. At that point, isn't it possible that the leaders could have traveled far enough to be entering the red circle at 90 degrees to the guys in last?

|

1/7/2019 9:09 PM

theycallmeebryan wrote:

After turn 1 they go all the way back to the lane that is closest to the start gate, and have to go through 5 lanes before ...more

What about if there is a first turn crash (higher chance than not)? Potentially by the time they get up and going, ready to enter the second turn the leaders will be entering turn 4 after the second rhythm lane. This is where it would go all wrong.

|

1/7/2019 9:13 PM

Broseph wrote:

Photo

Bennett59 wrote:

The start is what he's talking about. If a rider crashes at the start and takes a minute to get going, there could be a problem. The leaders could go through those two rythm lanes fairly quickly.

|

1/7/2019 9:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/7/2019 9:19 PM

You'd say it'd take what, at least 20 secs for the leader to get from the first turn to where it crosses back?
Might be enough time to get up off the ground etc silly to pretty much put a time limit on it though

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

1/7/2019 9:15 PM

Finally someone gets it.^

|

1/7/2019 9:20 PM

Taking into account that this race is usually a mudder... the OP makes a very valid point.

|

1/7/2019 9:21 PM

Photo
|

1/7/2019 9:22 PM

Another way to look at it (and probably confuse people even more, haha):

All the riders will have to be within the green circle at the same time. If there are riders both inside and outside the green circle on the opening lap, we have cross traffic within the red circle.

Photo

|

1/7/2019 9:24 PM

EZZA 95B wrote: Photo

Hahaha I'd like this twice if I could. Thanks for stepping it up from my poor MS Paint drawings.

|

1/7/2019 9:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/7/2019 9:25 PM

Let’s hope Tomac doesn’t go down there. By the time he gives Marvin a thumbs up, removes the front brake line and fixes his pants there could be real carnage.

|

1/7/2019 9:26 PM

Theres a couple tracks that might be disastrous, I assume theyll have track workers to deal with those

|

1/7/2019 9:34 PM

colintrax wrote:

Theres a couple tracks that might be disastrous, I assume theyll have track workers to deal with those

Photo
|

1/7/2019 11:09 PM

Yeah on that 2nd part once the track is all spread out and there are lappers Lappers etc.
How is that gonna work ?

|

1/7/2019 11:39 PM

Tarz483 wrote:

Yeah on that 2nd part once the track is all spread out and there are lappers Lappers etc.
How is that gonna work ?

They're only crossing the track off the start brother.

|

1/8/2019 12:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/8/2019 12:06 AM

Broseph wrote:

Another way to look at it (and probably confuse people even more, haha):

All the riders will have to be within the green ...more

Nevermind I misread the question

|

1/8/2019 12:49 AM

SEE ARE125 wrote:

Let’s hope Tomac doesn’t go down there. By the time he gives Marvin a thumbs up, removes the front brake line and fixes his ...more

LMAO

|

1/8/2019 12:57 AM

They would address that in the riders meeting and say that the track crew would be there and let you know to go behind the berm if you crash in the first turn and take too much time to get going. You obey the track crew otherwise black flag. Things would be really shitty for a rider if he falls in the first turn and is not able to remount and get going before the leaders hit the sand section, he would be pretty much starting a lap down.

|

1/8/2019 1:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/8/2019 1:21 AM

The riders will be instructed to go back down the start straight to join the race.

|

1/8/2019 1:25 AM

They could go back on start straight and enter behind that turn others are coming? (or take left on sand if light is green :D

|

1/8/2019 4:56 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

The riders will be instructed to go back down the start straight to join the race.

Isn't it against the rules to ride in the reverse direction?

|

1/8/2019 5:08 AM

Akira wrote:

They would address that in the riders meeting and say that the track crew would be there and let you know to go behind the ...more

I guess the riders won't be practicing a bunch of starts either. Even in timed qualifying, if you aren't out in the first 10-12 seconds things will get sketchy.

The heat races with less experienced riders could get messy.

|

1/8/2019 5:12 AM

I guess the riders won't be practicing a bunch of starts either. Even in timed qualifying, if you aren't out in the first 10-12 seconds things will get sketchy?

The heat races with less experienced riders could get messy.

It would be interesting to time how long it took for cooper Webb to get up at a1 and see where that put him in relation to the rest of the field. This layout could really screw up an inspired ride like his last weekend.

|

1/8/2019 5:15 AM

This is an overcomplicated track design, that seems to ultimately make things more dangerous rather than less as the riders have requested in the past...

|