Searching for the best premium helmet

Loftin79
1/11/2021 12:10pm
Arai and Shoei are the two best helmets on the market
Jt$
1/11/2021 12:30pm
mister2dt wrote:
Not 100% certain who makes Fly helmets now, but they have been Bell products for years. Might still be, might not. But, i know for a...
Not 100% certain who makes Fly helmets now, but they have been Bell products for years. Might still be, might not. But, i know for a long time, all Fly helmets were made by Bell.
Jt$ wrote:
Sorry, but this has literally never been true.
mister2dt wrote:
My apologies then for that. That is what i was told back in 2010 when AXO stopped producing their helmets when the insurance requirements changed. They...
My apologies then for that. That is what i was told back in 2010 when AXO stopped producing their helmets when the insurance requirements changed. They stopped produxing their own helmets and got out all together from the helmet market. We had discussed what would happen with other gear companies with helmets and if they would stay or go.
No worries, just wanted to jump in before it went any further!

The great news is that there are more options in the premium helmet space than ever before. Riders are the biggest winners on that front. There is not a helmet on earth that can completely prevent head injuries but with the improvements and advances made over the last decade, that chance is now significantly reduced. I think technology is just scratching the surface, too. I'm excited to be a part of that and we (as a brand) are hoping to really make a difference long term.
MelonFan123
1/11/2021 1:50pm
Unfortunately, because of liability reasons I think a lot of the internal testing and other parts of helmet manufacturing is a closely guarded secret.

JT is right, there are a lot of options and that's never a bad thing.

I'm an unabashed Shoei guy, they just fit me well. Tried a 6D and ended up going back. I did find this which is pretty cool look behind their process

The Shop

LungButter
1/11/2021 2:51pm
Loftin79 wrote:
I dunno, I was a die hard Arai guy for about 20 years myself, literally never wore another brand. Hell, between myself and my parents we've spent enough with that company that we should probably have shares! Laughing

However, I just don't think that with all the new technology thats out, that their old tried and true design can really be at the top of the heap anymore.

GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
1/11/2021 3:02pm
Loftin79 wrote:
LungButter wrote:
I dunno, I was a die hard Arai guy for about 20 years myself, literally never wore another brand. Hell, between myself and my parents we've...
I dunno, I was a die hard Arai guy for about 20 years myself, literally never wore another brand. Hell, between myself and my parents we've spent enough with that company that we should probably have shares! Laughing

However, I just don't think that with all the new technology thats out, that their old tried and true design can really be at the top of the heap anymore.

Arai should be a discount brand. There's no question their quality is top notch, but having a round shell is not innovation and does not justify the premium price. If a round shell is best, why not combine a round shell with some improvement inside the helmet? Their marketing almost seems insulting to consumers' intelligence.

If I seem bitter it's because they fit my head perfect and I was a die hard Arai guy from the mid-90's through 2010.
JoeWV
1/11/2021 3:10pm
My votes with the Fly Formula. Tried them all on and the Fly just felt best for me. Plus it’s super light and has great ventilation. The Bell was my #2 choice but felt really hot, maybe the new bell will have better ventilation?
TeamGreen
1/11/2021 4:55pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2021 4:58pm
Ross501 wrote:
I wear a TLD but I think the most important aspect is finding one that fits your head correctly.
gt80rider wrote:
X2... also wear tld and huge fan... also have the arai.... do not like nearly as much
I’m one of the TLD wearers, too. I’ve crash-tested 1 Carbon SE4 (Baja) and 1 Poly SE4 (Moto).
The Baja crash used up about 80% of the foam over the right eye area.
The Moto crash was a quick “thrown over the bars” and slapped the side of my head...WHACK!
In both cases I was fine (slight head ache after Moto crash: helmet checked out fine).
I’m a believer.
kkawboy14
1/11/2021 7:21pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2021 1:52am
Ross501 wrote:
I wear a TLD but I think the most important aspect is finding one that fits your head correctly.
gt80rider wrote:
X2... also wear tld and huge fan... also have the arai.... do not like nearly as much
TeamGreen wrote:
I’m one of the TLD wearers, too. I’ve crash-tested 1 Carbon SE4 (Baja) and 1 Poly SE4 (Moto). The Baja crash used up about 80% of...
I’m one of the TLD wearers, too. I’ve crash-tested 1 Carbon SE4 (Baja) and 1 Poly SE4 (Moto).
The Baja crash used up about 80% of the foam over the right eye area.
The Moto crash was a quick “thrown over the bars” and slapped the side of my head...WHACK!
In both cases I was fine (slight head ache after Moto crash: helmet checked out fine).
I’m a believer.
I’ve been wearing TLD for about 10 years now, most comfortable helmets I have ever put on my head. I quit having concussions when I quit hitting my head really hard on the ground!
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
1/11/2021 10:09pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2021 10:09pm
I was torn between the 6D ATR2 and the Fly Formula Carbon. Arguably the two safest helmets on the market today, and priced accordingly. I did slightly prefer the fit of the Fly with my oblong shaped head, but when my son bought the Fly for my birthday, that ended the indecision on my part. I've found it to be super light, wonderfully comfortable, and it just ooozes quality. My son and I switched with his Fox V3 this Sunday and the Fly is unquestionably the superior helmet.

Only bummer is I lost the sweet helmet bag on the freeway. Super bummed about that.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
1/14/2021 2:08pm Edited Date/Time 1/14/2021 2:10pm
Hey since we’re on the subject of helmets, I called the guys at 6D, told them I had a pretty good crash and my helmet looks fine, the only visible damage is a few superficial scratches, but wanted to know if they had a way to check it out. For $125 they inspect the shell, and if the shell is OK they rebuild the insides. Parts included for 125 bucks. They also picked up the phone, we’re kind courteous and 100% helpful. I don’t know if other helmet manufacturers offer that service, but I thought it was pretty cool and worth a shout out. Based on that I know where I’ll be buying any helmets in the future. like I said I’m not trying to stir up another debate, I just thought that was pretty kick ass customer service especially in today’s world. That is all, carry-on. Cool
Moto520
1/14/2021 2:21pm
sumdood wrote:
Hey since we’re on the subject of helmets, I called the guys at 6D, told them I had a pretty good crash and my helmet looks...
Hey since we’re on the subject of helmets, I called the guys at 6D, told them I had a pretty good crash and my helmet looks fine, the only visible damage is a few superficial scratches, but wanted to know if they had a way to check it out. For $125 they inspect the shell, and if the shell is OK they rebuild the insides. Parts included for 125 bucks. They also picked up the phone, we’re kind courteous and 100% helpful. I don’t know if other helmet manufacturers offer that service, but I thought it was pretty cool and worth a shout out. Based on that I know where I’ll be buying any helmets in the future. like I said I’m not trying to stir up another debate, I just thought that was pretty kick ass customer service especially in today’s world. That is all, carry-on. Cool
I did the same thing. Crashed and hit my head in an ATR-1. Wasn't sure if the helmet was ok or not so i sent it in. They sent it back with a clean bill of health and i was able to get another season out of the helmet
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
1/14/2021 3:19pm
^If I remember correctly, 6D offers a crash replacement discount as well. They'll sell you a new one for cheap so you can replace a crashed one. If so, that's pretty kick ass.
TooTallJason
Fantasy
826th
1/14/2021 3:34pm
Falcon wrote:
^If I remember correctly, 6D offers a crash replacement discount as well. They'll sell you a new one for cheap so you can replace a crashed...
^If I remember correctly, 6D offers a crash replacement discount as well. They'll sell you a new one for cheap so you can replace a crashed one. If so, that's pretty kick ass.
I hope Fly has a similar program, I reached out to them today in regards to examining my Formula Carbon that I've smacked once pretty good and their response was "Send us photos, but get ready to replace most likely."
MelonFan123
1/14/2021 3:37pm
That is a cool program that 6D offers in rebuilding your helmet. I was going to send mine in after a big crash but decided to retire it instead.

I know that Shoei offers a free inspection program after a crash on all their helmets, but I don't think they do any sort of "rebuilding".

sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
1/14/2021 5:12pm
Moto520 wrote:
I did the same thing. Crashed and hit my head in an ATR-1. Wasn't sure if the helmet was ok or not so i sent it...
I did the same thing. Crashed and hit my head in an ATR-1. Wasn't sure if the helmet was ok or not so i sent it in. They sent it back with a clean bill of health and i was able to get another season out of the helmet
Brea isn’t that far for us, he said drive it up and they’ll inspect it, if it’s good that’s it. If it needs rebuilding it’s a buck and a quarter. It was refreshing to call a business and actually talk to a human that was friendly and helpful instead of a computer voice and 16 prompts to get through Laughing I’m sold. Customer for life Cool
roy238
1/14/2021 5:21pm
Just a thought, check out LS2 helmets, look at their reviews and testing videos.

Just another potential option. 🤙
xrmark
1/20/2021 4:25pm
Just got the formula. Can a medium head liner be put in a large shell?
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
1/21/2021 10:22am
xrmark wrote:
Just got the formula. Can a medium head liner be put in a large shell?
I am fairly sure the medium and large use the same shell. At least that is what my dealer told me. How much will the pads cost you though?
gt80rider
1/21/2021 10:22am
Loftin79 wrote:
Are the two with the oldest tech.... there, fixed it for ya
peltier626
1/21/2021 10:29am
sumdood wrote:
Hey since we’re on the subject of helmets, I called the guys at 6D, told them I had a pretty good crash and my helmet looks...
Good to know. I just ordered my son a ATR-2Y.
ratonmacias
1/26/2021 10:24pm
Whats the diffrence between the formula and formula cc helmet?
1/27/2021 3:03am
I do stick with 2 brands of Helmets for years now, i m happy with their fit and easy acces to get parts for them if needed.
I would say use that helmet you re comfortable with!

Helmets made in China
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
1/27/2021 4:13am
Whats the diffrence between the formula and formula cc helmet?
Formula is full carbon shell, Formula CC is a composite shell. Same safety tech in both, the CC is a tad heavier and less expensive.
Motofinne
1/27/2021 4:42am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2021 4:45am
The European (maybe worldwide?) version of the Shoei is called VFX-WR and not VFX-EVO like in the North American market. Difference being the shell. The WR is modern with ECE and DOT ratings.

I don't own one. But if you want the modern Shoei, you should get the WR and not the EVO.
ratonmacias
1/27/2021 7:48am
looking at the fly website the weight difference between the formula and the formula cc is 60 grams.

its amazing that 60 grams and different graphics saves you 200 bucks.
1/27/2021 7:53am
There is one helmet that really has stood the test of time, and still always goes to the top in rider comfort and safety. That's the Arai. All these other manufactures have all these different designs, but Arai keeps doing what they do with some of the safest helmets made.

I went to an Arai probably 15 years ago. I've had numerous ones, and will probably not be changing.
Skuzzy29
1/27/2021 7:58am
looking at the fly website the weight difference between the formula and the formula cc is 60 grams. its amazing that 60 grams and different graphics...
looking at the fly website the weight difference between the formula and the formula cc is 60 grams.

its amazing that 60 grams and different graphics saves you 200 bucks.
The cost of the material used saves you $200 not the 60 grams.
Johnny Ringo
1/27/2021 8:09am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2021 11:30am
Don’t forget about Arai!
aeffertz wrote:
Arai's tech is far outdated considering it's price tag. Yes, a properly fitting helmet is going to help but there has been advancements in head protection...
Arai's tech is far outdated considering it's price tag. Yes, a properly fitting helmet is going to help but there has been advancements in head protection beyond a perfect fitting helmet.

They were great helmets, and still are for that matter, but it's old tech on your head compared to other brands with new protection.
Arai doesn’t buy into all the gimmicks current helmets have. Take a hand made helmet all day

Post a reply to: Searching for the best premium helmet

The Latest