Sean Collier "project KX500"

Sandblaster
3/5/2017 7:36pm
Thanks guys... I would never had guessed we would have had this level of success..
I got my copy :-)

3/5/2017 8:37pm
Thanks guys... I would never had guessed we would have had this level of success.. I got my copy :-) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/03/05/179893/s1200_17097696_1369566776423098_2850910693148923037_o.jpg[/img]
Thanks guys... I would never had guessed we would have had this level of success..
I got my copy :-)

Awesome build Sandblaster and it's tits that your whip is gracing the cover of mxa!
Sidecar
3/5/2017 10:54pm
Inspired by your project I now have this parked in my garage....

JBecker 72
3/6/2017 5:00am
Reading the article, I had no idea these bikes only weigh 220 pounds. They look like tanks, but it's really about the same weight as my YZ250. Crazy.

Awesome bike. I'd like to turn a few laps on it.

The Shop

Sandblaster
3/6/2017 8:19am
Thanks guys... It was a lot of work with little sponsorship and not a lot of money but it's done for now.
And thanks goes to all who helped out through gofundme..
Our next major project for Sean will be bringing his old bike up to our new specs.
After all he needs a practice bike :-)
And due to the publicity this build received we have a few more sponsors willing to work with us... lol..
We want to try a few mods that we have never done before but should prove to be very interesting.
If you have any questions, feel free to post up.
You can also follow us at Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/179257569231617/
Or watch for updates at our website:
http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=103
Sandblaster
3/6/2017 8:20am
Nice bike Sidecar... Take good care of her and she will give you the rides of your life :-)
Stuntman949
3/6/2017 10:12am
Saw the beasts at Glen Helen Saturday. I could definitely stare quite a while. Nice work
Sandblaster
3/6/2017 12:15pm
Thanks... His bike is nicer then my own :-)
I would go to all Sean's races but is 1000 miles one way... So, I have to be careful which ones I go to.
Sidecar
3/6/2017 12:34pm
Nice bike Sidecar... Take good care of her and she will give you the rides of your life :-)
Thanks, it's been sitting in my garage for 8 weeks now, I've not even ridden up my driveway and back, it's coming into spring in the UK and the ground SHOULD start to dry up soon, I'm elbow deep in building the sidecar to race this year too.
Can you post more pics of the beast on here incase I can't find mxa????
Tonynz
3/6/2017 1:20pm
My son, a friend and I were at Glen Helen on 26th Jan, mainly riding the REM track at the time Sean had the 500's out on track. Those bike are amazing when they come blasting past you. (waiting for the MXA video to see if we were filmed).
Had a good talk to Sean a nice guy.
April issue of MXA arrived in mail yesterday, a great read about the KX 500.
Frodad78
3/6/2017 1:31pm
I was pretty stoked when I got my issue of MXA and saw what was on the cover. I was even more impressed with some of the work that was put into that ride. The compression release was pretty trick!!
Sandblaster
3/6/2017 2:00pm
Tonynz wrote:
My son, a friend and I were at Glen Helen on 26th Jan, mainly riding the REM track at the time Sean had the 500's out...
My son, a friend and I were at Glen Helen on 26th Jan, mainly riding the REM track at the time Sean had the 500's out on track. Those bike are amazing when they come blasting past you. (waiting for the MXA video to see if we were filmed).
Had a good talk to Sean a nice guy.
April issue of MXA arrived in mail yesterday, a great read about the KX 500.
Here is a story about Sean.
Before I got involved with this whole deal, Oscar Cota told me about Sean and what he wanted to do for him. I had heard of Sean but I don't follow the whole MX scene as a general rule... But here was an opportunity to build a nice KX500 (I'm a big fan of the bike) for someone of Sean's caliber to race against new factory bikes by fully sponsored riders. That simply does not happen every day... So we got the bike built and gave it to Sean. He raced it and said he loved it. But at that point I thought he was probably being nice to us because he knew we had a lot of time, money, and parts into it. The night after the race when we were packing up and getting ready to go I noticed Sean's wife 9 months pregnant and looking haggard after a full day of racing and dealing with two other kids :-) So I asked if Sean and his wife would like to go to dinner with us and they accepted. We spent a couple of hours eating and talking and I have to say that Oscar was right about Sean in every way. He is a super nice, down to earth guy, just like the rest of the team. He works hard during the week and does not get to ride very often. But when he does you can see that he loves every second of it. So I'm glad I had the opportunity to do this for him as he really deserves it.

The really cool thing is, we are not done :-)
We are going to strip the old Beast back down and rebuild it to our specs.
Some may remember that we freshened up the bike about 6 months ago, but we were not allowed to do what we wanted because we needed a comparison between the old bike and the new one for testing.
The testing and comparisons are done, so now it's time to strip it, reinforce the chassis, rebuild and revalve the suspension, build a custom rear end, retrofit 450 brakes, build the engine to match his new bike, and replace everything that is even slightly worn.
Sean really needs a bike to practice and one to race..

Besides that build, we are also building him another bike which I can't talk about so forget I said anything about it :-)

And here is a little known tidbit... We had some boys from the UK talking smack about getting Sean to the UK for one of their big races at Farleigh Castle.

You can check out Farleigh Castle here

Well.... Stranger things have happened in the past... And when KX Guru Racing gets involved you can bet something is going to shake loose so stay tuned...
Sandblaster
3/6/2017 2:04pm
Frodad78 wrote:
I was pretty stoked when I got my issue of MXA and saw what was on the cover. I was even more impressed with some of...
I was pretty stoked when I got my issue of MXA and saw what was on the cover. I was even more impressed with some of the work that was put into that ride. The compression release was pretty trick!!
That mod was done by Larry Wiechman.
It is well worth it.
The older you get and the higher your compression the more you appreciate it.
Larry Wiechman
6222 Elevator Road
Roscoe, IL 61073
wiechman@charter.net

It's 150 plus return shipping.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
3/7/2017 1:02pm
I really want to ride/own one.
Sandblaster
3/20/2017 6:33pm
Big step up jump shot taken of Sean Collier at the Big 6 race at Glen Helen!!

Sandblaster
11/20/2017 7:49am Edited Date/Time 11/20/2017 7:50am
After building Sean's new bike we started rebuilding his old bike "The Beast".
And let me tell you, it needed just about everything...

You can see the Engine build here:

Click here to see Sean Collier's new engine

But, if you just want to look at a purdy pic... Lol

kkawboy14
11/20/2017 8:06am
After building Sean's new bike we started rebuilding his old bike "The Beast". And let me tell you, it needed just about everything... You can see...
After building Sean's new bike we started rebuilding his old bike "The Beast".
And let me tell you, it needed just about everything...

You can see the Engine build here:

Click here to see Sean Collier's new engine

But, if you just want to look at a purdy pic... Lol

For years it seemed like kx500s would eat transmissions.....is that an issue or are you guys doing something to help solve that?
Sandblaster
11/20/2017 8:34am
The biggest reason for eating transmissions in the KX500 is a powerful engine :-)
The next issues is lack of oiling... I think the owners manual says to use 900ml in the trans... We dump the whole 950ml bottle in... Also, change the oil frequently.... And use a good quality oil... Then for those who just can't help but do the latest mod, you can cross drill the shafts.

CLICK HERE FOR KX500 TRANS MODS

And if you split the cases, always replace all your trans snap rings....

If you really want to get crazy with your cases and help oil flow a tiny bit more, check out this article.

CLICK HERE FOR KX500 CASE PREP
kkawboy14
11/20/2017 10:39am
The biggest reason for eating transmissions in the KX500 is a powerful engine :-) The next issues is lack of oiling... I think the owners manual...
The biggest reason for eating transmissions in the KX500 is a powerful engine :-)
The next issues is lack of oiling... I think the owners manual says to use 900ml in the trans... We dump the whole 950ml bottle in... Also, change the oil frequently.... And use a good quality oil... Then for those who just can't help but do the latest mod, you can cross drill the shafts.

CLICK HERE FOR KX500 TRANS MODS

And if you split the cases, always replace all your trans snap rings....

If you really want to get crazy with your cases and help oil flow a tiny bit more, check out this article.

CLICK HERE FOR KX500 CASE PREP
Good stuff thx

Post a reply to: Sean Collier "project KX500"

The Latest