Sean Collier fans...

500guy
8/21/2015 11:58am
Can you blame the Industry for not wanting this to go Viral ?

Parents and kids in Sports now that's nothing new, I've been on both ends of it , it's hard to draw the line between pushing the kids to much and being abusive. not to mention about 80% of the people who race can't afford to be there, it's stressful.
8/21/2015 12:14pm
charley586 wrote:
Great serie so far. Totally worth the 15$. but it made me sad soo much negativity coming from the riders. The main reason why we ride...
Great serie so far. Totally worth the 15$. but it made me sad soo much negativity coming from the riders. The main reason why we ride it's because is fun. I don't spend 10k$ every year to be pissed off. Still I can make a parallel on my teen life in another sports and the relation between the me/ the sports / my parents / the coach. A lot to learn from this. I would really love to see an episode with the Tomac's. I suspect that John Tomac understand what is going trough Elie head with is experience.
when you consider the time, effort, and money required to even get to the level it takes to qualify for a national and place 40th... then...
when you consider the time, effort, and money required to even get to the level it takes to qualify for a national and place 40th... then look at what 100th place gets at a PGA Golf tournament, not only am I not surprised at their attitude, i'm surprised anyone still thinks this is a viable career path. it's a cash cow for promoters, nothing more, nothing less. this sport needs more Colliers.

Maybee if the struggling privateers stop going to the nationals the industry will support more riders instead of putting all the eggs in the same basket. I'm curious what is the financial gain/loss difference between being a top local pro or a 30isshhh national rider. Just by the amount of travel needed to go across the country all summer and winter time. I know is not as glamour but you can have a normal job during the week, rip it in the week-end and at 30 years old not be totally broken without a job. I really don't know anything about Nascar but the gate seems to be full in Nascar and I guess the last man is still making good money.

It's like in normal life. There's less rich peoples but richer and more poor poorer peoples. The midle class is disapearing.
machine
8/21/2015 1:27pm
It's good video work, however I may be the in the minority in feeling that it was pretty negative and bitter sounding. No one is forcing anyone to spend their life savings to chase a dream that rarely comes true, it's the risk "the individual" is taking and it's their personal choice. Sounds like Sean is working like the rest of us now, big deal.
HuskyEd
8/21/2015 1:40pm
machine wrote:
It's good video work, however I may be the in the minority in feeling that it was pretty negative and bitter sounding. No one is forcing...
It's good video work, however I may be the in the minority in feeling that it was pretty negative and bitter sounding. No one is forcing anyone to spend their life savings to chase a dream that rarely comes true, it's the risk "the individual" is taking and it's their personal choice. Sounds like Sean is working like the rest of us now, big deal.
Think it's more on how brutal the mini parents are on their kids for not getting the results than the guys chasing their dreams

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
8/21/2015 1:40pm
machine wrote:
It's good video work, however I may be the in the minority in feeling that it was pretty negative and bitter sounding. No one is forcing...
I agree, I really enjoy Kyle's videos and much respect for his work. I'm also a big fan of Collier but this teaser edit is very one sided. Maybe the full edit will show the upside(so noone jump to conclusions) to all the time and money his family spent on bikes and racing like the moments together, laughs, traveling and great times... Unfortunately it's easy to overlook those things after the fact...
500guy
8/21/2015 2:13pm
I agree, I really enjoy Kyle's videos and much respect for his work. I'm also a big fan of Collier but this teaser edit is very...
I agree, I really enjoy Kyle's videos and much respect for his work. I'm also a big fan of Collier but this teaser edit is very one sided. Maybe the full edit will show the upside(so noone jump to conclusions) to all the time and money his family spent on bikes and racing like the moments together, laughs, traveling and great times... Unfortunately it's easy to overlook those things after the fact...
it's hard to have fun and be a kid when your not sure when Mom or Dad is going to explode on you over a performance on the track.
8/21/2015 2:19pm
machine wrote:
I agree, I really enjoy Kyle's videos and much respect for his work. I'm also a big fan of Collier but this teaser edit is very...
Not when your getting your ass beat from your parent ...all those laughs traveling and great times go right the fuck out the window. I can vouch for that
elmo
8/21/2015 7:43pm
Thank you guys for all of the kind words and support for this. Been on location all day for a shoot, so getting back to the computer and seeing this was very cool!

It is a very big disappoint to see certain media outlets remove and/or simply ban the series. But, on the positive, we are not going anywhere whatsoever. We are committed to this series, and there will be two more seasons and lots of exciting things coming for us all because of you guys getting behind this. So, I truly do appreciate the support. THANK YOU!
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
8/21/2015 8:05pm
There is a problem within our sport with parents pulling their kid out of school at a young age in order to pursue professional motocross racing which has a slim chance in ever panning out for success. No, our sport isn't the only one with a problem but that doesn't mean that we should pretend it isn't a problem. This stuff needs to be brought to light. I think continuing down the path we're currently on is unhealthy.
Fearo
8/22/2015 12:22am Edited Date/Time 8/22/2015 12:23am
machine wrote:
The problem is that the kids are being forced to do something. They are put on a certain path at 3 years old and of course it's fun for them. They get to ride their dirtbike every day. But by the time they hit puberty they start seeing the bigger picture of what their parents have laid out for them, and the huge expectations to repay what they (the parents) have spent.

And then, all of a sudden, their love for motocross that once seemed so simple goes to a 3-way street: 1) compensating their parents, 2) their (hopefully) own desire to go pro, 3) They realize: hey, this is really all I've done in my life, what the fuck else am I going to do?
8/22/2015 7:21am
Thanks for the heads up.
Paid my cash, watched all episodes to date in a day.
Very cool.
Keep up the good work, a fantastic series.
Credit to all involved.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
8/22/2015 8:56am
731chopper wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/08/20/102255/s1200_image.jpg[/img] What is this about?

What is this about?
elmo wrote:
It is about certain media outlets controlling the content that is being released. The trailer was posted on Vurbmoto and then pulled down within a few...
It is about certain media outlets controlling the content that is being released. The trailer was posted on Vurbmoto and then pulled down within a few hours. I was told it was removed for being, and I quote, "extremely negative and one-sided." There are also a few others out there refusing to post anything about this episode or series for that matter... Hoping that this episode, series, and myself just "go away."

Even more glad that I paid for the series...it's very well done.

Was just watching a flick with my girl last night and told her how sick I am of every moto movie with the same rider quote over and over "this is all i know, i love riding my dirtbike" (repeat repeat repeat...)
8tensolutions
8/22/2015 10:05am
I wonder if the interview would have been the same if he was successful and got a good ride/had a good career. Very easy to be bitter when you didn't make it and now work a day job while people you raced with are millionaires.

Whats wrong with the industry? It continues to grow and no different than every other sport.....some parents try to live through their kids. Not sure that will ever change. It happens in spelling bees! Ever been to a cheerleading competition?
chumley
8/22/2015 10:12am

Great job Elmo!!!,I bought the series...,well worth it...you could string three or four of these together and
have a very compelling movie....can't wait for Sean Collier...Big Fan!

machine
8/22/2015 10:14am
I wonder if the interview would have been the same if he was successful and got a good ride/had a good career. Very easy to be...
I wonder if the interview would have been the same if he was successful and got a good ride/had a good career. Very easy to be bitter when you didn't make it and now work a day job while people you raced with are millionaires.

Whats wrong with the industry? It continues to grow and no different than every other sport.....some parents try to live through their kids. Not sure that will ever change. It happens in spelling bees! Ever been to a cheerleading competition?
yep...If the majority had this experience, no one would do it.
The Rock
8/22/2015 2:41pm
AZ35 wrote:
Wow, sounds like the industry is trying the North Korean method of media manipulation.

Great preview, excellent work.
elmo wrote:
In the last 30-days, the text messages, e-mails, voice mails, and phone calls I've had would definitely suggest North Korea is in charge of MX media.
I will always miss Steve Bruhn AKA TFS but during times like this I REALLY MISS HIM.

Personally what's the big whoop? It is a cautionary tale and instead of trying to sweep this part of MX under the carpet why don't we make the professional age 18 like we were going to so we can at least know for the guys who don't become RD5 or ET3 they'll have a life after MX with a basic education. Not to mention the maturity difference between a 16 year old and an 18 year old.

BTW I would really like to know if the compound fracture and parent walking away was an exaggeration or not.
500guy
8/22/2015 3:30pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2015 3:30pm
Rock, not an exaggeration.. True story Sad
Just remember , Your Parents make mistakes too and I'm sure deep down they Love you and wanted the best results for you. it's not good form to air shit out in public going over every messed up detail.

You can caution people without shaming everyone involved.
Tony Campos
8/22/2015 3:37pm
Hell yeah can't wait for this! Luckily i have an amazing dad, every moto all he cared about was that i had fun and that pushed me to be a better rider, seeing how stoked my dad was for me out at the track together. When i turned pro riding BMX you saw that aspect of "moto dads" coming on more and more in that world and skate boarding at all the major contests. It started reminding me of seeing the other kids at the tracks with fathers screaming at them. I took a step back for a little while got into a career as a plumber and life has never been better. Nothing but fun on my bikes no stress, take time off to tour with my band and always come home to a great job i love doing. Hope this series shows a lot of youngins that you dont need to "make it" to have an amazing life.
rohleder644
8/22/2015 6:17pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2015 6:17pm
500guy wrote:
Just remember , Your Parents make mistakes too and I'm sure deep down they Love you and wanted the best results for you. it's not good...
Just remember , Your Parents make mistakes too and I'm sure deep down they Love you and wanted the best results for you. it's not good form to air shit out in public going over every messed up detail.

The cool part about documentary style film is that it does just that, it documents. This is collier's side of the story. As he sees it. Not everyone will share his views and that's OK. This video looks like a good look in to some of his views on the sport. I personally think that's a pretty cool angle to work off of. Do that with a handful of racers and you've got a pretty neat feature length film.

And as far as his perspective being skewed because he never landed that factory ride??? Doesn't seem like RV2 had all that different of an opinion
elmo
8/24/2015 12:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/24/2015 12:44pm
500guy wrote:
Just remember , Your Parents make mistakes too and I'm sure deep down they Love you and wanted the best results for you. it's not good...

The cool part about documentary style film is that it does just that, it documents. This is collier's side of the story. As he sees it...
The cool part about documentary style film is that it does just that, it documents. This is collier's side of the story. As he sees it. Not everyone will share his views and that's OK. This video looks like a good look in to some of his views on the sport. I personally think that's a pretty cool angle to work off of. Do that with a handful of racers and you've got a pretty neat feature length film.

And as far as his perspective being skewed because he never landed that factory ride??? Doesn't seem like RV2 had all that different of an opinion
Well said. And, another thing to keep in mind is, while I grew up watching Collier race in the amateur scene (he was a couple years ahead of me), and very familiar with his ability and such, while conducting his interview, I had no idea about the history he had with his father or really what happened to lead him to where he is today, etc. Not like I am baiting these guys into saying this or that. Essentially, I am learning about him as we go through the interview, just like everybody else who watches this is learning and agreeing or disagreeing with what is being said.

As an example, my question to him which promoted him to go into detail about his issues between him and his father was literally me asking him what his amateur career was like. Was their ever any pressure on him to do well from family and/or sponsors? Or, was it always pretty lax/go have fun? Next thing I know, he replies with the stuff about his dad. Not at all what I was expecting, but I appreciated his honesty.

Another thing to keep in mind, as I have told others who are pissed off about this episode and/or the prior episode... TRUST is huge between myself, my crew and the riders. At the end of the day, these episodes are not mine, they belong to the riders. It's their episode, their story... As told by them, I just put the visuals on top of what they say. When we have a solid cut of the episode together, I personally share the episodes with the riders and let them have the say in what they want to add, remove, change, etc. They ALWAYS have and ALWAYS will the final say before any of this ever gets posted onto the World Wide Web. Sean loves the full episode and requested zero changes. Whether people agree with him or not, he has told me multiple times he was happy to be part of something where he could be true to himself and not have to censor himself, and that he wants people to know his story, his journey... Whether some find it negative and dark, or refreshing and positive to see somebody speak of their experiences openly, he is proud of this and has not been afraid to be candid about what he went through.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
8/24/2015 1:06pm
Somehow, some people are offended by or ignorant to what a documentary is. Nothing wrong with the average "motocross is badass " movie, but these episodes are actually documentary style.
8/24/2015 1:26pm
elmo wrote:
Well said. And, another thing to keep in mind is, while I grew up watching Collier race in the amateur scene (he was a couple years...
Well said. And, another thing to keep in mind is, while I grew up watching Collier race in the amateur scene (he was a couple years ahead of me), and very familiar with his ability and such, while conducting his interview, I had no idea about the history he had with his father or really what happened to lead him to where he is today, etc. Not like I am baiting these guys into saying this or that. Essentially, I am learning about him as we go through the interview, just like everybody else who watches this is learning and agreeing or disagreeing with what is being said.

As an example, my question to him which promoted him to go into detail about his issues between him and his father was literally me asking him what his amateur career was like. Was their ever any pressure on him to do well from family and/or sponsors? Or, was it always pretty lax/go have fun? Next thing I know, he replies with the stuff about his dad. Not at all what I was expecting, but I appreciated his honesty.

Another thing to keep in mind, as I have told others who are pissed off about this episode and/or the prior episode... TRUST is huge between myself, my crew and the riders. At the end of the day, these episodes are not mine, they belong to the riders. It's their episode, their story... As told by them, I just put the visuals on top of what they say. When we have a solid cut of the episode together, I personally share the episodes with the riders and let them have the say in what they want to add, remove, change, etc. They ALWAYS have and ALWAYS will the final say before any of this ever gets posted onto the World Wide Web. Sean loves the full episode and requested zero changes. Whether people agree with him or not, he has told me multiple times he was happy to be part of something where he could be true to himself and not have to censor himself, and that he wants people to know his story, his journey... Whether some find it negative and dark, or refreshing and positive to see somebody speak of their experiences openly, he is proud of this and has not been afraid to be candid about what he went through.
Just shut up and take my money already!
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
648th
8/25/2015 11:04am
I've watched 3 so far... can't wait for the Collier one.. good stuff Kyle. Keep up the good work..
elmo
8/28/2015 6:33pm
Since the episode will launch on Tuesday (or maybe sometime Monday Wink ), I figured I would share the first 3:20 of episode five for ya'll to check out. Link below!

https://vimeo.com/137661502
Outsider
8/28/2015 7:37pm
500guy wrote:
it's hard to have fun and be a kid when your not sure when Mom or Dad is going to explode on you over a performance...
it's hard to have fun and be a kid when your not sure when Mom or Dad is going to explode on you over a performance on the track.
And yet no one seems to understand why RV was over it and retired... Put his work in and GTFO while he could still walk

Going to purchase this series tonight!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
8/28/2015 7:47pm
Great work man, stoked to see the whole edit! Let us know when we can get it on Vimeo!
500guy
8/28/2015 7:59pm
Outsider wrote:
And yet no one seems to understand why RV was over it and retired... Put his work in and GTFO while he could still walk Going...
And yet no one seems to understand why RV was over it and retired... Put his work in and GTFO while he could still walk

Going to purchase this series tonight!
I totally agree with you, The powers that be should have let him quit when He wanted to.
8/28/2015 8:17pm
elmo wrote:
Since the episode will launch on Tuesday (or maybe sometime Monday ;) ), I figured I would share the first 3:20 of episode five for ya'll...
Since the episode will launch on Tuesday (or maybe sometime Monday Wink ), I figured I would share the first 3:20 of episode five for ya'll to check out. Link below!

https://vimeo.com/137661502
Damnit after that teaser I want MORE!!!!! More Elmo more!!! Can't wait

Post a reply to: Sean Collier fans...

The Latest