Scrubbing and whipping to non dominant side

So I can scrub and whip really well with my backend going to the left, but I just can't seem to get them down the other way. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
|
RD757
10/7/2016 12:28pm
My advice is if you're not comfortable don't worry about it. There's absolutely no reason to push yourself into whipping/scrubbing especially if you can already do it to one side.
Flip109
10/7/2016 12:34pm
To me its all about the jump and flow of tracks. Some sections make me pull it right. Some make me pull it left. I don't even give it much thought. Just whatever feels right
Motofinne
10/7/2016 12:44pm
It's all about the takeoff, shape of the jump and especially how the track looks like before and after the jump.

If you have a right hand corner instantly after the jump it will make sense to whip the back end of the bike to the left.

The Shop

JWACK
10/7/2016 4:09pm
Practice landing on a Coke can where you have to lean to the left to get to it. This will focus your mind a bit on something else other than being uncomfortable and builds some technical skill.. I think everyone has a more natural side they lean on.
Thelen20
10/7/2016 4:17pm
I can throw it out to the left pretty good, not so much to the right, just the way it has always been for me. I don't sweat it and just stay in my comfort zone. I have a huge appreciation for guys who can go both ways! Dry
twotwosix
10/7/2016 4:25pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2016 4:26pm
It just comes down to bike control. Once you get comfortable enough, you will be able to go either way. Practice your non-dominant way more frequently. It'll come. Also, if you can't seat bounce a big whip, you haven't quite gotten to the skill level to really worry about it. Most people can get sideways, but few people have the bike control to get flat or 'under' the whip with the nose down.
BobPA
10/7/2016 4:56pm
Scrubs are for bitches, landing out to flat is for real men....watch RC race and you would understand.
KID858
10/7/2016 5:23pm
Flip109 wrote:
To me its all about the jump and flow of tracks. Some sections make me pull it right. Some make me pull it left. I don't...
To me its all about the jump and flow of tracks. Some sections make me pull it right. Some make me pull it left. I don't even give it much thought. Just whatever feels right
Exactly!
Johnny Depp
10/7/2016 6:25pm
Has anyone ever proven that scrubbing is faster? It certainly looks cool, and I'm sure it uses more energy, so just wondering??
Tim507
10/7/2016 6:32pm
From what I've seen scrubbing can be much more efficient in some cases. Much different then doing a "Boss Joel" for the camera CoolWhistling
10/7/2016 6:33pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2016 6:34pm
Has anyone ever proven that scrubbing is faster? It certainly looks cool, and I'm sure it uses more energy, so just wondering??
whipping is pretty much just to look cool. Scrubbing on the other hand can shave seconds off lap times. A jump you would hit in 4th gear you can take in 5th. Because you are staying lower and not jumping as far. So you can actually hit a jump a lot faster.
TeamGreen
10/7/2016 6:54pm
A very clean and simple table top or dbl that you really know...
That you "own".
Practice your weak side on that.
kkawboy14
10/7/2016 7:00pm
Start practicing it the other way and don't worry if it looks cool, just keep doing it.
BobPA
10/7/2016 7:03pm
whipping is pretty much just to look cool. Scrubbing on the other hand can shave seconds off lap times. A jump you would hit in 4th...
whipping is pretty much just to look cool. Scrubbing on the other hand can shave seconds off lap times. A jump you would hit in 4th gear you can take in 5th. Because you are staying lower and not jumping as far. So you can actually hit a jump a lot faster.
Seconds per lap? That's a bit of an exaggeration I think. But, it most definitely helps...just watch the pros
10/7/2016 7:18pm
Jumping shorter equals faster?
Well if you were to hit it the same speed scrubbing as not scrubbing you would come up short, so you can hit it faster without over jumping
TeamGreen
10/7/2016 7:20pm
Jumping shorter equals faster?
Well if you were to hit it the same speed scrubbing as not scrubbing you would come up short, so you can hit it faster without...
Well if you were to hit it the same speed scrubbing as not scrubbing you would come up short, so you can hit it faster without over jumping
Lower-faster = less time in the air

When it's done right.
Johnny Depp
10/7/2016 7:24pm
If you hit it the same speed, wouldn't you be going the same speed?

If you "overjumped" wouldn't you be going further, faster?
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
10/7/2016 7:26pm
whipping is pretty much just to look cool. Scrubbing on the other hand can shave seconds off lap times. A jump you would hit in 4th...
Staying lower also means you're taking a shorter path around the track. No question it's faster.
tcallahan707
10/7/2016 7:30pm

He's saying that if you were to hit it at the same speed, you'd come up short when scrubbing. Hence, you can go at a faster speed when scrubbing and land in the same spot.
USA
Fantasy
428th
10/7/2016 7:36pm
nytsmaC wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/10/07/154980/s1200_IMG_2759.jpg[/img]

I get it
chump6784
10/7/2016 7:37pm
This thread makes it pretty easy to figure out who actually rides and who doesn't.

On topic, it depends on the jump for me. If it's a jump that I hit straight on I will always throw the back end to the left but if the track is heading to the left its not even something I think about, I just whip to the right
Katoomey
10/7/2016 7:37pm
growing up racing bmx I could only do whips, tabletops, and x-ups to one side. I broke my right (my dominate) arm and was forced to learn to write and do other things with my left arm, like play b-ball. After that I was almost perfectly ambidextrous. I could throw or shoot a ball, do lay-ups, bat lefty, box lefty, ect... More importantly to me, I could now lay my BMX bike flat on both sides, almost without even practicing that specific thing.

I think that everyone is born way more ambidextrous than they think, they just never excersize that muscle memory, so one side "feels" dominate. when in actuality, it isn't. I guess my point is if you use and practice those movements you can definately improve them to almost the same level as your other side.
10/7/2016 7:45pm

Do you watch football? When you're punting, you want to send it up into the air as far as possible to waste time and let your team get down there. Scrubbing is the opposite of that.

As mentioned earlier, you can charge into the jump (faster) and scrub it without over jumping into the flat. Staying lower means getting back to Earth sooner, so you can put the power back down sooner. You are sending energy into making the bike go sideways instead of up, and that keeps you flying lower.

But I hear you. I can't scrub, so I don't think it works either Laughing And I'll never convince my 76 yo father that it's faster either. In his generation, it is just showing off.
10/7/2016 7:48pm
James had that pass made before the scrub. In the old days you just let her rip off the jump and made the pass. Sure it...
James had that pass made before the scrub. In the old days you just let her rip off the jump and made the pass. Sure it looked cool, but it's obvious he hit the jump face much faster and made the pass under throttle. Where and how he landed is just the result.
You are missing the point: "he hit the jump face much faster". Exactly. You can charge the jump face because you're going to scrub off speed and not badly OJ the landing. Now you've got it.
tcallahan707
10/7/2016 7:58pm
James had that pass made before the scrub. In the old days you just let her rip off the jump and made the pass. Sure it...
James had that pass made before the scrub. In the old days you just let her rip off the jump and made the pass. Sure it looked cool, but it's obvious he hit the jump face much faster and made the pass under throttle. Where and how he landed is just the result.
If James hit that jump at that speed without scrubbing, he would have landed damn near into the face of the next jump. Certainly, he was going faster than Alessi and would have passed him if it were a straightaway but no way does he make that pass without scrubbing. The whole where and how you land is the entire point of scrubbing. I get how at times, sending it to flat is faster than slowing down enough catch the landing and that was what worked in the old days but that doesn't mean that it is faster than scrubbing. Think of it as a hybrid of the two...hit it fast enough to overjump, stay low enough to still make the landing.

Another way to think of it is time that passes from take off to landing. Most people understand that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. So if two objects are covering the same horizontal distance, the object that goes in a straighter line will arrive sooner. Speed = Distance/Time. Same distance/less time = more speed. Since the time to clear that obstacle is less for the person scrubbing, he is going faster. That translates into faster lap times.

Post a reply to: Scrubbing and whipping to non dominant side

The Latest