Scrub Right, Scrub Left

Related:
Create New Tag

1/25/2019 1:46 PM

I was just going back through some old MX videos I've done and recalled that watching Roczen scrub both to the left and right that day at Milestone back in 2012 was the first time I'd ever seen someone do that... at least that evenly.

For someone who is only mildly athletic, I cannot imagine being able to do that. On my best day, I can half "scrub" (well, my version of it anyway) leaning the bike to the right. If I tried to do the same thing off to the left, I would probably launch my body straight into the air and leave my bike behind...it wouldn't end well. I'm also entirely left-handed and not remotely ambidextrous, so that doesn't help.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

?start=180

|

Twitter: @bayodome
Instagram: @bayodome

1/25/2019 1:50 PM

Only thing I can scrub is my bean bag

|

1/25/2019 1:50 PM

Pros can do things I can't? Happens all the time to me.

|

KTM250SX YZ125 YZ85 PW80 ZX6 FZX700

1/25/2019 2:05 PM

Yeah almost everyone I know can only properly whip/scrub into one direction.
I don't really know how that comes but it definitely doesn't have anything to do whether you're left- or right-handed

|

1/25/2019 2:05 PM

Somebody find the video of James Stewart practicing on a 125 throwing the bike around, scrubbing both ways. Makes the video you posted look like novice.

|

1/25/2019 2:10 PM

Brap! wrote:

Somebody find the video of James Stewart practicing on a 125 throwing the bike around, scrubbing both ways. Makes the video ...more

|

1/25/2019 2:12 PM

Brap! wrote:

Somebody find the video of James Stewart practicing on a 125 throwing the bike around, scrubbing both ways. Makes the video ...more

crusty_xx wrote:

I miss James so, so much.

|

1/25/2019 2:14 PM

I'm mix handed and feel more comfortable "scrubbing" to the right. Pretty sure it's a lack of practice and skill rather than being 1 hand dominant.

|

1/25/2019 2:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/25/2019 2:22 PM

I could only fathom doing it to the Right
Its kinda like people standing left or right foot
Forward on a skateboard or
On a half pipe on a bicycle
I could only do that turning right also

|

1/25/2019 4:03 PM

I can whip or scrub with equal aplomb to the left or right. Which is to say, I have no skill at either in either direction.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

1/25/2019 4:13 PM

Don't even know if I can scrub anymore but I could go right a little more comfortably than the left. They go whatever way sets them up best for the next line usually I believe. Probably not always the case though! A lot of the riders in that video were doing that.

|

1/25/2019 4:18 PM

I can scrub left..but the approach has to be just perfect....no chance scrubbing right.

|

1/25/2019 5:03 PM

I can't scrub, i m old.

|

1/25/2019 5:43 PM

I'm right handed and can only scrub left (handlebar direction) and whip right (rear wheel direction)
If I try to scrub to the right I feel like I'm riding a pogo stick and it's going to high side me.

And no I'm not great at it.
Photo
Photo

|

1/25/2019 5:56 PM

According to Vital I can't scrub either way, but yeah I scrub way more comfortably turning to my right (whipping to the left)... I can't whip to the right to save my life... I literally can't get my bike sideways at all to the right without feeling completely foreign and I'd probably crash... I can't really scrub turning to my left either, when I do its an awkward butt scrub or I just lean and let the bike do its own thing without much force.

|

1/25/2019 6:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/25/2019 6:17 PM

For some odd reason, I can only whip to the left and scrub to the right. Neither are overly impressive but I definitely have the feel. I just can't mirror it. Same goes for turns. I can't turn right haha

James was goooooooooood. Gotta love the rawness and name droppin' as well. Man, I am so glad I was old enough to enjoy that era.

|

1/25/2019 6:17 PM

Buttery can probably only scrub one way. silly

|

1/26/2019 4:58 AM

Motofinne wrote:

I miss James so, so much.

Photo
|

1/26/2019 5:14 AM

WCRider wrote:

I can't scrub, i m old.

Old is an excuse, I am 52 and keep scrubbing
Photo
Both sides, with 4 (up) and 2 (down) strokes
Photo

|

1/26/2019 6:55 AM

Right handed. Scrub right and whip left. My scrubs are are better than my pathetic whip attempts.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

1/26/2019 8:37 AM

I suck at it, but I go both ways on small stuff, and no ways on big stuff. I write left handed, but do almost everything else equally with both hands.

|

1/26/2019 9:12 AM

I scrub straight, that’s right. Straight up baby. None of this left right business. If I tried that I’d probably go left while my bike went right.pinch
I’m so rusty I just need to focus on my turns.cool

|

1/26/2019 10:05 AM

Being right or left handed has nothing to do with scrubbing.. It mostly depends on the direction of the track and more specifically the corner after the jump. If the jump leads into a left turn you are always going to scrub left (kicking your ass end out to the right) so you are set up nicely for the turn. If there are multiple jumps before the corner (like in the video) the first jump scrub direction is whatever the previous corner was. If you are coming out of a right corner, you scrub right continuing your flow through the turn. The next jump may lead into a left corner, which is why you would switch direction and scrub left on the second jump.

|

#thereisnocrown

1/26/2019 1:34 PM

No different than doing tricks both ways. Learn it one way, mess around with it the other way. Eventually it becomes a natural feeling. Just like jumping hips. Go to a skatepark on a bike and jump a hip back and forth until left and right feel normal.

On a bicycle I naturally spin to the right but on a dirtbike I whip to the left. Doing either the opposite way isn't scary though, just kind of goofy feeling and not as good because I never practice it.

|