Scott Sheak seriously injured

munsch121
Edited Date/Time 5/19/2021 9:00am
Yesterday during an open practice, leading up to the Loretta Lynn's Area Qualifier at Walden MX, Scott Sheak was involved in a crash on his own at the finish line area. It is not clear as to the cause of the crash at this time. Scott was transported to Mid Hudson Regional in Newburgh NY for injuries he sustained in the incident. Although medical evaluation is still ongoing, currently Scott has a spinal injury to his C7 vertebrae which he will receive surgery for this morning.
Please keep Scott, his wife Amy and their family in your thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.
Amy said she is overwhelmed with all the support and concern from everyone. She will keep us all informed as new information arrives. As with anytime things like this happen, give her some time on response, she is very busy working with the staff and being there for Scott.
If anyone can overcome an injury like this, the Iron Sheak can!
Get well #4

Update on Scott Sheak for his wife Amy Sheak: “He is out of surgery. Just talked to the doctors. It went well. Much more positive about recovery, but still unknown how much or how long. His neck is stabilized. They exposed the casing sprung spinal cord from c1-c7 is very irritated but saw no injury to it. They put rods and screws where the fracture was. They are going to see how he is and are going to try and take him off the vent slowly when he’s ready. Might be tonight, might be tomorrow. If he can’t breathe on own they may put a treacherous in until he can. They just need to know his muscles are strong enough. I am going in soon I hope to see him.”
Thank you Amy for this update and staying strong and positive!
We will continue to post updates as they come in.
Iron Sheak Strong

|
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
5/1/2021 2:55pm
Sending some prayers and positive vibes their way! Heal up Scott!
Mr. Afterbar
5/1/2021 2:55pm
Such a bummer to hear this. Best wishes for a fast and full recovery.
5/1/2021 2:58pm
Bummer to hear, well wishes. I have good memories of him on a honda cr125 in the late 90's coming to EU to race Paris Bercy, with succes!
Sully22
5/1/2021 3:05pm
Thoughts and prayers for Scott and his family

The Shop

mxb2
5/1/2021 3:15pm
Dam, gws . Just talked to him last week prior to this race.
Question
5/1/2021 3:42pm
Wishing him a speedy recovery from France as well
slipdog
5/1/2021 4:10pm
I remember Scott kicking ass all the way back in the 60 class in the '80s. Get well soon!
Nairb#70
5/1/2021 4:30pm
slipdog wrote:
I remember Scott kicking ass all the way back in the 60 class in the '80s. Get well soon!
Yup, same here, 1983 & 1984 in NEMA at Southwick, Claverack, etc. He was so short he could barely touch the ground on a YZ50 or 60. Best wishes and prayers going out.
Camp332
5/1/2021 4:34pm
Sending some strong prayers, and love for Scott to get through this!
Sprew
5/1/2021 4:43pm
Best wishes to Scott, Amy, and family.
plowboy
5/1/2021 5:40pm
Well crap. Hate to hear this. Heal up good and strong Scott.
MX752
5/7/2021 12:35pm
Here are the links for Scott’s gofundme and R2R pages incase you have a few extra Canadian pesos rattling around:

Gofundme

Road2recovery
cable
5/7/2021 12:42pm
dang! why do they rush into surgery when the they are stabilized and already have the spinal injury?
5/8/2021 12:26am
cable wrote:
dang! why do they rush into surgery when the they are stabilized and already have the spinal injury?
To stabilise the spine either with rods/screws or a brace so there's no risk of further damage. Also in a lot of spinal injuries they may need to remove pieces of the shattered vertebrae from the spinal cord, also to prevent further damage.
I had to wait over a day before I got surgery which was not ideal.

Wishing the best for Scott!
Dirt_Dawg
Fantasy
2768th
5/8/2021 6:30pm
Damn that sucks, I remember scott form the district 34 days. Prayers for a miracle, scott a real good dude.
bad juju
5/8/2021 7:10pm
Prayers sent, wishing you a full recovery Bro.
Camp332
5/12/2021 8:20am
He raced at Englishtown a lot. Our love, and prayers have been and continue going up for him to pull through this! He's a tough mofo, and I think he will beat this.
5/12/2021 5:16pm
Man, so bummed for Scott, he was seriously doing so well with turning his life around. He was back on a dirt bike and happy as can be. Had plans to race Loretta Lynn's this year and he would of done great! I've been speaking with his wife for updates but here is a update i saw on Mike Young's FB page which is a repost from R2R. Really wishing for the best for S H E A K !!!

Here is a link to a GoFundMe set up for Scott so, help out if you can

https://www.gofundme.com/f/scott-sheak-benefit?utm_source=customer&utm_…

And on that note, wishing Mike Treadwell a speedy recovery too...Motocross is so gnarly, but we love it!

Repost from @road2recovery

#ScottSheak Update 05/11/21...
The past ten days since @ironsheak crash and subsequent surgery have been extremely hard on Scott and his family. Last Monday, he was diagnosed with severe Pneumonia and staph infections which are both significant complications. Paired with the chest injuries he sustained and previous history with collapsing lungs, these are now a major concern for his recovery as they are not healing as quickly as they should. Multiple procedures, including a blood transfusion have been performed in the last week to help combat these progressing illnesses and completions with few positive results.
Scott is suffering from aggressive coughing fits while currently intubated. Unfortunately, he is very uncomfortable and has been heavily sedated to help alleviate some of this pain. His doctors are trying to control his ever spiking fever and blood pressure but paired with everything else he is battling, this is a delicate process to navigate. Goal one- to get rid of the Pneumonia so his breathing and blood pressure will remain consistent. Goal two- once he is stable, perform the tracheostomy surgery to be more comfortable, and less sedation will be needed.
Statement from Scott’s family- We would like to thank everyone for keeping Scott and our family in your thoughts and prayers. Your reaching out to each of us has helped more than we could ever express. We are honored to be a part of such a huge and supportive “family”. Please keep Scott and his recovery in your thoughts and prayers...
Link is in our bio if you can help by donating. Positive messages can be left on his page as well. #HelpUsHelpOthers
Nairb#70
5/12/2021 5:37pm
Man, so bummed for Scott, he was seriously doing so well with turning his life around. He was back on a dirt bike and happy as...
Man, so bummed for Scott, he was seriously doing so well with turning his life around. He was back on a dirt bike and happy as can be. Had plans to race Loretta Lynn's this year and he would of done great! I've been speaking with his wife for updates but here is a update i saw on Mike Young's FB page which is a repost from R2R. Really wishing for the best for S H E A K !!!

Here is a link to a GoFundMe set up for Scott so, help out if you can

https://www.gofundme.com/f/scott-sheak-benefit?utm_source=customer&utm_…

And on that note, wishing Mike Treadwell a speedy recovery too...Motocross is so gnarly, but we love it!

Repost from @road2recovery

#ScottSheak Update 05/11/21...
The past ten days since @ironsheak crash and subsequent surgery have been extremely hard on Scott and his family. Last Monday, he was diagnosed with severe Pneumonia and staph infections which are both significant complications. Paired with the chest injuries he sustained and previous history with collapsing lungs, these are now a major concern for his recovery as they are not healing as quickly as they should. Multiple procedures, including a blood transfusion have been performed in the last week to help combat these progressing illnesses and completions with few positive results.
Scott is suffering from aggressive coughing fits while currently intubated. Unfortunately, he is very uncomfortable and has been heavily sedated to help alleviate some of this pain. His doctors are trying to control his ever spiking fever and blood pressure but paired with everything else he is battling, this is a delicate process to navigate. Goal one- to get rid of the Pneumonia so his breathing and blood pressure will remain consistent. Goal two- once he is stable, perform the tracheostomy surgery to be more comfortable, and less sedation will be needed.
Statement from Scott’s family- We would like to thank everyone for keeping Scott and our family in your thoughts and prayers. Your reaching out to each of us has helped more than we could ever express. We are honored to be a part of such a huge and supportive “family”. Please keep Scott and his recovery in your thoughts and prayers...
Link is in our bio if you can help by donating. Positive messages can be left on his page as well. #HelpUsHelpOthers
Damn, that sounds like a terrible situation with Scott. Can't imagine what that is like, hurts just to read it. More prayers and well wishes needed.
Not to derail the thread but Mike Treadwell too? The list of Old Dogs getting hurt is getting too long
mxracer828
5/13/2021 7:35am
I remember as a young kid bagging his groceries at the store. Always talked to him and a super cool guy. The guy only bought chicken and coors light. Heal up and prayers sent
gt80rider
5/13/2021 11:22am
Old injuries can really complicate new ones, and Scott had a bunch... a reminder to all us older farts that crashing at our age is not the same as hitting the dirt at 20....

Post a reply to: Scott Sheak seriously injured

The Latest