Scoliosis

Kyle_McNab
Edited Date/Time 7/16/2018 11:08am
Have any of you guys have to deal with it ? I know it’s not common. But I need some advice. Multiple chiropractor and pt with no help. Honestly devastating not knowing what to do. Any help?
|
kage173
7/13/2018 2:01pm
Not here. Sorry bud. Hope you can find something
dimetime
7/13/2018 2:30pm
Knew a girl in high school that had it and she was in a brace for what seemed like a full school year.

She was pretty damn hot too and a cheelleader through it all.

But that was a lonnngggg time ago. Don't know what they do now. Sorry.
7/13/2018 3:40pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2018 3:40pm
Scoliosis is not "treatable" especially by a snake oil salesman like a chiropractor. Did someone advise you to see one of those schmucks? I would suggest seeing a real doctor who can provide a real diagnosis and potential treatment which, aside from bracing, amounts to surgery. You can't just force the spine back into a straight orientation. You would have better luck praying.

See a doctor. Consider surgery.
Rickyisms
7/13/2018 4:33pm
Was in a brace for about a year when I was in freshman year, Going into senior year i have stopped my growing progress and my curve has not reached over 37 degrees. What is your curve at right now if you don't mind saying?

The Shop

Knoby
7/13/2018 4:41pm
I'm sorry to hear bud. I have been "diagnosed" by five different "doctors" from scoliosis to a slipped disc to muscle spasms. So I just figured if I was going to live like this the rest of my life why not beat the hell out of my back while I still can. Long story short I bought a dirt bike and it was the best thing I ever did! PT can't hold a candle to the core body workout of riding a dirt bike. Eat healthy and ride
Kyle_McNab
7/13/2018 4:57pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2018 5:01pm
Rickyisms wrote:
Was in a brace for about a year when I was in freshman year, Going into senior year i have stopped my growing progress and my...
Was in a brace for about a year when I was in freshman year, Going into senior year i have stopped my growing progress and my curve has not reached over 37 degrees. What is your curve at right now if you don't mind saying?
I’m 23 with a 25% curve at my low back. I have never had serious problem until this year. I honestly never paid scoliosis much thought as I have been riding and mtb for years. Surgery is a last resort especially if it’s not at 45 degree. This whole year I have been in constant pain since I hurt my back at work. Would much rather have a straight back and deal with a broken vertebrae than scoliosis I hate this deformity. Helpless feeling not to mention I blew through all my money all ready. Btw I have met with several orthopedist and pt and chiro.
Kyle_McNab
7/13/2018 6:02pm
I remember high school and jr high so many had braces for that. 1976-82.
Yeah braces might as well be obsolete. They don’t do shit
plowboy
7/13/2018 6:15pm
I am not a doctor. Anything I say is probably bull shit...you've been warned. My son had a slight curvature of the lower back when he was very young. The doctor said his pelvis (hips) were tilted from uneven bone growth in his legs. They put some custom ortho in his shoes for a couple of years. Everything caught up and evened out. He's a 6'6" thirty two year old now...straight as an arrow. Mind you, the corrective actions were taken when he was 4 years old. My point is...one leg even slightly shorter than the other makes a real difference to the back. Just a thought...feel better bro.
Kyle_McNab
7/13/2018 6:27pm
plowboy wrote:
I am not a doctor. Anything I say is probably bull shit...you've been warned. My son had a slight curvature of the lower back when he...
I am not a doctor. Anything I say is probably bull shit...you've been warned. My son had a slight curvature of the lower back when he was very young. The doctor said his pelvis (hips) were tilted from uneven bone growth in his legs. They put some custom ortho in his shoes for a couple of years. Everything caught up and evened out. He's a 6'6" thirty two year old now...straight as an arrow. Mind you, the corrective actions were taken when he was 4 years old. My point is...one leg even slightly shorter than the other makes a real difference to the back. Just a thought...feel better bro.
Yeah you did the right thing taking action when he was young. Makes a huge difference. Unfortunately I never got the help when I was I adolescent. I do have one leg longer/ or hip higher than the other. It’s totally made me feel unbalanced my back muscles. I’m done growing but I’m 23 feeling like I’m 60 . Glad your son doesn’t have complications.
ROCKNDAWG
7/13/2018 6:31pm
Be sure about your chiropractor. I went to one WAY back when I was younger (im now an old 63!) and the X-Rays looked like I was completely hosed and the chiropractor said I had a bad case of scoliosis and convinced me I had to go to him pretty much 3 times a week for the rest of my life! I ended up quitting MX and going to the gym for years because of it and it completely freaked me out.
I finally said screw it and started riding again and stopped going to the chiropractor (who by the way owned a couple 911s and a Rolls!) Years later I had to go in for some other back problems...and guess what I had back problems but my X-Rays looked nothing like my completely bent in every which way X-Rays from 25 years ago.
So Im pretty darn sure that guy did a bait and switch on me based on I had great insurance!
plowboy
7/13/2018 6:38pm
plowboy wrote:
I am not a doctor. Anything I say is probably bull shit...you've been warned. My son had a slight curvature of the lower back when he...
Kyle_McNab wrote:
Yeah you did the right thing taking action when he was young. Makes a huge difference. Unfortunately I never got the help when I was I...
Yeah you did the right thing taking action when he was young. Makes a huge difference. Unfortunately I never got the help when I was I adolescent. I do have one leg longer/ or hip higher than the other. It’s totally made me feel unbalanced my back muscles. I’m done growing but I’m 23 feeling like I’m 60 . Glad your son doesn’t have complications.
Have you tried insoles on your short side or even a custom lifted shoe? Could be some inexpensive relief (not a cure). There was a kid from Kansas that raced the nationals 10 or 12 years ago...he had at least a 3 inch lift on his boot. He started a graphics company I believe. Used to post here. He could haul ass though.
Kyle_McNab
7/13/2018 6:58pm
ROCKNDAWG wrote:
Be sure about your chiropractor. I went to one WAY back when I was younger (im now an old 63!) and the X-Rays looked like I...
Be sure about your chiropractor. I went to one WAY back when I was younger (im now an old 63!) and the X-Rays looked like I was completely hosed and the chiropractor said I had a bad case of scoliosis and convinced me I had to go to him pretty much 3 times a week for the rest of my life! I ended up quitting MX and going to the gym for years because of it and it completely freaked me out.
I finally said screw it and started riding again and stopped going to the chiropractor (who by the way owned a couple 911s and a Rolls!) Years later I had to go in for some other back problems...and guess what I had back problems but my X-Rays looked nothing like my completely bent in every which way X-Rays from 25 years ago.
So Im pretty darn sure that guy did a bait and switch on me based on I had great insurance!
Yeah I had an mri and X-ray I have a bulging disc between l4 l5 too
Kyle_McNab
7/13/2018 7:04pm
plowboy wrote:
Kyle_McNab wrote:
Yeah you did the right thing taking action when he was young. Makes a huge difference. Unfortunately I never got the help when I was I...
plowboy wrote:
Have you tried insoles on your short side or even a custom lifted shoe? Could be some inexpensive relief (not a cure). There was a kid...
Have you tried insoles on your short side or even a custom lifted shoe? Could be some inexpensive relief (not a cure). There was a kid from Kansas that raced the nationals 10 or 12 years ago...he had at least a 3 inch lift on his boot. He started a graphics company I believe. Used to post here. He could haul ass though.
Yeah I did buy one but I’ve heard mixed opinions from the doctors/orthopedic I’ve met with. I was 100% fine to ride last year. Also started getting into mtb. But I just found this clinic called Scolismart in pa . A lot of good reviews . Really don’t want to have surgery and be stuck with a rod in my back
plowboy
7/13/2018 7:15pm
ROCKNDAWG wrote:
Be sure about your chiropractor. I went to one WAY back when I was younger (im now an old 63!) and the X-Rays looked like I...
I'm gonna get some hate for this but I wouldn't ever go to a chiropractor unless it was on a doctor's referral...and the doc vouched for him 100%. I have no doubt there are good knowledgeable back tweakers out there...but I also know there are folks that do nothing more than turn your money into cars and boats. Trouble is...there isn't a sign on the door telling us which is which.
419250f
7/13/2018 7:16pm
My advice is to find a rehab chiropractor who's trained extensively in DNS, Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization. Avoid those who are not. You should not be on a table being manipulated, you should be on the floor. Look into it.
Kyle_McNab
7/13/2018 7:19pm
ROCKNDAWG wrote:
plowboy wrote:
I'm gonna get some hate for this but I wouldn't ever go to a chiropractor unless it was on a doctor's referral...and the doc vouched for...
I'm gonna get some hate for this but I wouldn't ever go to a chiropractor unless it was on a doctor's referral...and the doc vouched for him 100%. I have no doubt there are good knowledgeable back tweakers out there...but I also know there are folks that do nothing more than turn your money into cars and boats. Trouble is...there isn't a sign on the door telling us which is which.
There is some truth to that. But some people with less pain it helps them. Honestly this whole experience made me not trust doctors at all.
tcallahan707
7/13/2018 7:28pm
Have you looked into float therapy? Not sure how effective for scoliosis but it does help with back issues.
plowboy
7/13/2018 7:36pm
ROCKNDAWG wrote:
plowboy wrote:
I'm gonna get some hate for this but I wouldn't ever go to a chiropractor unless it was on a doctor's referral...and the doc vouched for...
Kyle_McNab wrote:
There is some truth to that. But some people with less pain it helps them. Honestly this whole experience made me not trust doctors at all.
I hear ya man. I avoid doctors as much as possible. But when I do have to see an MD this is exactly what I tell them day one: I don't expect you to be all knowing. What I do expect is for you to say, "I know what's wrong and how to fix it OR I haven't a clue but here's a referral to a man that does know". They call it a medical practice but they AREN'T gonna practice on me and mine. I can have this attitude because I have really good insurance...I'm very blessed.
Thor34103
7/13/2018 7:43pm
Our daughter was diagnosed around 11 or so. It kept progressing and at 16 she finally had surgery. The surgery lasted around 8 hours and recovery took a couple months. At first she was very disappointed that she went through it all, but after a few years she is glad she did. Obviously with the rods in her back she has no flexibility, and as parents that makes us feel sorry for her but there are others worse off. Here is the before photo:

Note the navel ring.
Thor34103
7/13/2018 7:45pm
Here is the after photo. Sorry they are so huge.

Have any of you ever grown 2” in 8 hours?
plowboy
7/13/2018 8:05pm
Thor34103 wrote:
Here is the after photo. Sorry they are so huge. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/07/13/274519/s1200_5A24C9E0_A600_4CE6_9A50_07C8B9607A7D.jpg[/img] Have any of you ever grown 2” in 8 hours?

Man, her curvature was really severe. So sorry that she has to deal with that. Is there a point in the future that the devices will be removed?
usafwx
7/13/2018 9:32pm
I can only imagine how devastating learning this must have been. As someone going to grad school for OT and a former PT patient (lots of MX injuries my first few years in the sport) I would tell you to find a great PT and do the therapy, this of course coupled with diet, core building exercise and of course breaking bad habits in regards to posture, etc. I wouldn't let it stop you from riding, etc. As other's here who have had it seem to be attesting to it's not the end all be all, though still sucks. Hang tough man and best wishes.
dimetime
7/13/2018 9:50pm
I just want to say l hope you can find some relief.

I personally have had great luck with chiropractors. Major back issues from years of construction. Some mornings involved crawling to the shower to loosen up in the hot water. I went to a guy for about four years and l no longer have any back issues. It's been well over ten years since l had to go. I still will go once of twice a year because l oddly love the neck cracking

I don't know about how well they deal with your situation but it is pretty easy to sniff out the cons from the legit chiros. No contracts, no x-rays, no holistic BS. My guy told me the scams and what to avoid and he never, ever pressured me to come in.

I really hope you find relief. Back pain is fucking miserable.
Rickyisms
7/14/2018 5:51am
Thor34103 wrote:
Here is the after photo. Sorry they are so huge. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/07/13/274519/s1200_5A24C9E0_A600_4CE6_9A50_07C8B9607A7D.jpg[/img] Have any of you ever grown 2” in 8 hours?

Man, I was diagnosed at 15, Wore a brace at 16, stopped it about 8 months in at Dr's recommendation, Go to a new Dr, Tells me last Dr made a huge mistake and I will most likely require surgery, we will check up in a year.

Kept riding all through that time, Won a local championship so I was riding a lot too, No pain. Couple weeks ago go back to Dr for checkup. Now i'm 17, 6'1 and the curvature has not progressed in a year.

Never had any pain that's lasted more than a couple days before (Usually from riding). So F'n lucky I didn't have to go through with that surgery, props to your daughter that's some gnarly looking stuff.
MXMattii
7/14/2018 6:42am
Thor34103 wrote:

plowboy wrote:
Man, her curvature was really severe. So sorry that she has to deal with that. Is there a point in the future that the devices will...
Man, her curvature was really severe. So sorry that she has to deal with that. Is there a point in the future that the devices will be removed?
Nope the fusion is there for life.
Kyle_McNab
7/14/2018 7:12am
None of the orthopedist recommended surgery. I’ve tried two different pt with no improvement. Think I’m going to checked in to Scolismart in Pa they specialize in corrective care. Even tho I live in Md they have a two week BootCamp that seems like most people had a reduction in their curve
Kyle_McNab
7/14/2018 7:16am
Thor34103 wrote:

plowboy wrote:
Man, her curvature was really severe. So sorry that she has to deal with that. Is there a point in the future that the devices will...
MXMattii wrote:
Nope the fusion is there for life.
I’m sure she did gain a couple inches . Hope she continues doing well. I know I’d would gain a few too lol
Kyle_McNab
7/14/2018 7:19am
Thor34103 wrote:

Rickyisms wrote:
Man, I was diagnosed at 15, Wore a brace at 16, stopped it about 8 months in at Dr's recommendation, Go to a new Dr, Tells...
Man, I was diagnosed at 15, Wore a brace at 16, stopped it about 8 months in at Dr's recommendation, Go to a new Dr, Tells me last Dr made a huge mistake and I will most likely require surgery, we will check up in a year.

Kept riding all through that time, Won a local championship so I was riding a lot too, No pain. Couple weeks ago go back to Dr for checkup. Now i'm 17, 6'1 and the curvature has not progressed in a year.

Never had any pain that's lasted more than a couple days before (Usually from riding). So F'n lucky I didn't have to go through with that surgery, props to your daughter that's some gnarly looking stuff.
Ya I never really had any problems with till this year I’m 23 so I’m done growing. I’ve been at jmart height for years lol. Hope you continue to do well just remember to try and have good posture and a strong core and that should go a long way

Post a reply to: Scoliosis

The Latest