School me on Mountain bikes for fun or training

6/26/2017 11:22am
crowe176 wrote:
I bought a Cannondale SL2 29'r last year. I have used it 50/50 for tooling around town with my old lady vs trail.. We spend a...
I bought a Cannondale SL2 29'r last year. I have used it 50/50 for tooling around town with my old lady vs trail..

We spend a lot of time up at Boyne Mtn/highlands, and it's the only place I really ride trails. It's probably the closest in MI you're going to get to any kind of "downhill" (I use the term downhill in MI loosely). After a couple rides up there, I wish I'd have went with a 27.5. Anytime I push it, it feels like I'm going to roll a tire off the wheel. I actually prefer my 13yo Marin full suspension 26" up there.

Any flat trail, the 29'r feels great, but once it gets technical and try to push it, meh..

I want to love the Cannondale 29'r I just spent a lot of money on (for me), but as of now, it's just of a spendy beach cruiser, and the old 26" full suspension will be the go to trail bike for now.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I liked the F29 also, I wonder how that compares to yours. I think a 27plus hardtail could maybe work on the Boyne downhill only once per year just fine, so its most likely what Ill be trying out this year.
race
6/26/2017 12:23pm
rosebud441 wrote:
Mtn Biking good... and Fun.. and as a DH'r i get to wear almost the same gear. and dare i say, i have more fun.. less...
Mtn Biking good... and Fun.. and as a DH'r i get to wear almost the same gear. and dare i say, i have more fun.. less stress and girls do it too.

Nice pic.

Hardly get a chance to follow World Cup DH anymore. Are the top guys scrubbing stuff?

Does that even work for MTB / DH with the lighter weight?
Wes_Brooks
6/26/2017 12:43pm
My Giant Anthem sx 27.5. Best all around bike I have ever had. I was able to build this bike from the frame up with the components I wanted. My total build cost is around $1800 over the span of about 25 days through ebay and Pinkbike. Weighs just under 25lbs with the 1x11 drivetrain. Components are the biggest factor in making a great bike. Every store bike under 2500 has basic components. I prefer fox shocks all the way around for durability and performance. I see a lot of flat pedals, if you want to get your cardio up there get some clip ins and find some single tracks in the hills. I try to average 50 miles per week with 10k of elevation gain.

Wes_Brooks
6/26/2017 12:45pm
rosebud441 wrote:
Mtn Biking good... and Fun.. and as a DH'r i get to wear almost the same gear. and dare i say, i have more fun.. less...
Mtn Biking good... and Fun.. and as a DH'r i get to wear almost the same gear. and dare i say, i have more fun.. less stress and girls do it too.

race wrote:
Nice pic. Hardly get a chance to follow World Cup DH anymore. Are the top guys scrubbing stuff? Does that even work for MTB / DH...
Nice pic.

Hardly get a chance to follow World Cup DH anymore. Are the top guys scrubbing stuff?

Does that even work for MTB / DH with the lighter weight?
They are scrubbing like cleaning maids in a 10 year old rental property. Download redbull tv for all the replays.

The Shop

rosebud441
6/26/2017 12:59pm
For sure they are and most don't have a clue who J Bubba Stewart is.. sad.
crowe176
6/26/2017 1:04pm
Wes_Brooks wrote:
My Giant Anthem sx 27.5. Best all around bike I have ever had. I was able to build this bike from the frame up with the...
My Giant Anthem sx 27.5. Best all around bike I have ever had. I was able to build this bike from the frame up with the components I wanted. My total build cost is around $1800 over the span of about 25 days through ebay and Pinkbike. Weighs just under 25lbs with the 1x11 drivetrain. Components are the biggest factor in making a great bike. Every store bike under 2500 has basic components. I prefer fox shocks all the way around for durability and performance. I see a lot of flat pedals, if you want to get your cardio up there get some clip ins and find some single tracks in the hills. I try to average 50 miles per week with 10k of elevation gain.

10k elevation on east side of MI would be about 20 rides up and down the landfill.
rosebud441
6/26/2017 1:08pm
this vid is a little off topic but worth sharing nonetheless..

DemoDick
6/26/2017 1:19pm
DemoDick wrote:
My bikes direct hal6 all the same dam components as a bike that will cost you 2 k more. Friends all went out and rode each...
My bikes direct hal6 all the same dam components as a bike that will cost you 2 k more. Friends all went out and rode each other's bikes. 2 friends have tall boys and other has a Bronson.

We all liked the Bronson the best for the downhills but no one knocked on my bike.

Not gonna say my bike is better than anything but if you are not just a brand whore you cannot argue the price vs value here.

Now I will wait for the California brand whores to come beat me up. Lol b

It's not about being a brand whore, it about the frame and testing of the frame!!! Big brands develop their frames to withstand big amounts of...
It's not about being a brand whore, it about the frame and testing of the frame!!!

Big brands develop their frames to withstand big amounts of stress, while the frame your riding is basically a watered down version of an already active suspension system that probably hasn't been through any real vigorous testing. It is a big difference! The old saying goes "you get what you pay for"

GarrettL wrote:
This frame utilizes a hosrt linkage design made by Kinesis in Taiwan. Kinesis manufactures frames for many bike brands...Kona, GT, Jamis, Felt, Santa Cruz, Titus, Trek...
This frame utilizes a hosrt linkage design made by Kinesis in Taiwan. Kinesis manufactures frames for many bike brands...Kona, GT, Jamis, Felt, Santa Cruz, Titus, Trek, Diamondback, and more. This may not employ the latest geometry that everyone seems to want these days, but its a proven design. I don't have a Motobecane, and I'm not going to buy one, but don't bash something when you don't have any understanding regarding the subject.

Now something more positive!!

Exactly.

Is it the latest and greatest geometry? Nope. Is it a proven design that has been tested to hell and back again? Yup.

lets face it. Modern mountain bikes have been 20x more capable than 90+% of thier riders for years. Reminds me of another sport we all talk about up here.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
6/26/2017 8:16pm
TbonesPop wrote:
Maybe it was just the location or just a bad day on the mountain, but my recent experience of the people who ride downhill MTB's is...
Maybe it was just the location or just a bad day on the mountain, but my recent experience of the people who ride downhill MTB's is not a good one - most are spoiled kids or tree huggin douche bags with too much money. Certainly nothing like the moto community I've come across here in AZ and in TX.

Here's a story of a recent experience as my son and I were doing some downhill MTB'ing last week while on vacation in CO. It was the first day on the mountain and we were riding XC bikes as opposed to DH bikes. We were hitting some fun DH trails but nothing too difficult. Small jumps and lots of flowy sections. My 14 year old son (who also rides MX) was following me down the hill. I am a little faster and was riding out front. I hit a nice little jump and my son followed me off it. I cleared it and he endo'd on the jump and took a pretty good digger. I was far enough ahead I didn't hear or see him crash. I had ridden down about 200 yards before I stopped to wait for him to catch up. After 5 minutes of waiting and not seeing him come down the mountain I got worried. I started walking my bike (jogging it actually) up the hill. I asked a couple of other riders if they saw my son. 2 people said they didn't see him but they may have come down a different trail. Then about 4 kids came ripping down the hill and didn't say anything when I asked them, just kept on ripping. I finally see my son and get back up to him and he took a good shot to the head on a rock (had a full face moto helment on thankfully) and skinned up his back (had thick jersey on too thankfully). Just bruised up good, no broken bones or serious injuries.

I asked him if anybody stopped to help or check on him, he said "no". I asked if anyone went by, he said "ya, a few adults and that last group of about 4 kids". I asked, "did they even stop to check on you and did they see you?" He said, "ya they were right behind me and saw me, but all they did was yell WATCH OUT". I said, "they saw you crash or that you had crashed and didn't stop?" He said, "ya" and the one out front yelled "watch out" as he rode by. Just a bunch of punkass trust fund babies with $8K mountain bikes. Around here in AZ, you take a serious digger on a MX track and there will be 6 other people there within seconds to help you out.

Needless to say, my impression of the DH MTB community isn't a good one. Maybe it was just the douchebags in CO. Maybe it was just a bad day and the sampling size of riders was too small. I have a few other friends out here in AZ that ride DH and they are good dudes, all MX riders too. But that first impression wasn't a good one. It was a lot of fun and we had a good time outside of that experience. I wanted to get a DH bike and do some more riding out here in AZ. The people just left a bad taste in my mouth after that.

Please tell me most of the other MTB riders out there aren't like those douchebags.....
cjmx wrote:
Sorry to hear about your son. Definitely not the norm in Colorado, try no to generalize from this incident. These guys could have been out of...
Sorry to hear about your son. Definitely not the norm in Colorado, try no to generalize from this incident. These guys could have been out of towners too. Most of my moto friends also MTB and anyone of us would have stopped and helped. It's a great community out here.

Where were you riding?
Crested Butte. I'm pretty sure the kids were locals. The adults looked like vacationers. I know I shouldn't judge based on this one experience. We have some good peeps out here in AZ too. Every place has a few wankers here and there. Could have just been the day and spot.

Post a reply to: School me on Mountain bikes for fun or training

The Latest