Scalvini Exhaust Experience?

Edited Date/Time 10/16/2013 5:40am
Anyone running a Scalvini on their bikes?

I was gonna buy one for my Husky once I put the 144 kit on it, but I have read in multiple places that the pipe does not fit well on bikes, no matter what Make/Model.

I think I remember seeing Newman put one on his Ktm, how was the fitment from your experience?

Thanks!
|
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
10/14/2013 4:04pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2013 4:05pm
I had the pipe and carbon silencer on my 09 yz250, sold the bike a few months ago. Here is my experience

Fit: Bad (had to shave o-rings on pipe to actually fit to cylinder, had to drill a new hole for pipe spring since the welded tabs were welded too close and had too much slack so spring wouldn't stay on)

Sickness factor: the best!

Functionality: Once it is on and fitted, very good

Reliability: Not the best. I had the full carbon silencer and a little over a year in it snapped in half (the aluminum section, not the carbon 'can')
newmann
10/14/2013 5:07pm
The pipe on the silencer has a lot sharper bend in it than the stock pipe and it has the outlet pointed up at the fender. Pipe fit was a little off but not too bad. The silencer fit is what killed it. Tried to tweak it a bit but didn't want to screw it up.
10/14/2013 5:17pm
newmann wrote:
The pipe on the silencer has a lot sharper bend in it than the stock pipe and it has the outlet pointed up at the fender...
The pipe on the silencer has a lot sharper bend in it than the stock pipe and it has the outlet pointed up at the fender. Pipe fit was a little off but not too bad. The silencer fit is what killed it. Tried to tweak it a bit but didn't want to screw it up.
hmm, might just have to stick with the oem silencer then. I figure most of the gains are in the pipe anyways.

The Shop

The Rock
10/14/2013 7:30pm
Bigoldbeef wrote:
hmm, might just have to stick with the oem silencer then. I figure most of the gains are in the pipe anyways.
The MXA product test showed little improvement with the Scalvini silencer so sticking with the OEM can would be best. This would be a good time to put new packing in your OEM can too. Everybody and their brother makes two stroke packing so it's hard to go wrong with two stroke packing.

Two strokes don't put anywhere near the demands on packing (due to lower exhaust temps of two strokes) compared to four stroke applications.
10/14/2013 7:50pm
Bigoldbeef wrote:
The Rock wrote:
The MXA product test showed little improvement with the Scalvini silencer so sticking with the OEM can would be best. This would be a good time...
The MXA product test showed little improvement with the Scalvini silencer so sticking with the OEM can would be best. This would be a good time to put new packing in your OEM can too. Everybody and their brother makes two stroke packing so it's hard to go wrong with two stroke packing.

Two strokes don't put anywhere near the demands on packing (due to lower exhaust temps of two strokes) compared to four stroke applications.
I would, but the bike only has around 5.5 hours on it since I bought it new. I figure it should be good for a while
loftyair
10/14/2013 7:54pm
We got one on our '11 ktm 150sx, looks are amazing. But, the power is great too! Anyway, the fit is a little off, we use a pc silencer, and the fit is different than stock. But the power is great!
Digger29
10/15/2013 9:38am
I had one on my 07 RM250 & the pipe fit fine with no issues. The silencer didn't fit that well & we had to do some mods to get it to fit correctly. It worked great on the bike & gave the RM some added punch up top, just what it needed. I bought one for my 13 KTM250SX based on how much I liked the one I had on the RM & it fit like shit. I had to shaved the o-rings to get it to fit into the cylinder & the stinger was aiming right at the subframe & not at all in the direction of the silencer. I tried to get my FMF & my PC silencer on & none of the 3 would come even close to going onto the stinger. They wanted me to send it back. I had my welder buddy just cut a small wedge out of the back side of it & we bent it the direction of the silencer. We put it on & checked to make sure everything lined up & then we took it off & welded it up. What a bitch but I didn't want to send it back to CA & then they were going to send it back to Italy. Then when I rode it I wasn't impressed at all. It felt very mellow & almost like it took all of the hit away. I would bet money if we had dyno'd it that my bike lost HP with the Scalvini.
Trav138
10/15/2013 10:18am
Man sounds like alot of work for an exhaust. I have never had an issue with FMF, PC or. Bills. The Scalvini definitely look trick but i will stick with my American made pipes. Just my opinion
newmann
10/15/2013 10:25am
About mine on my 150. It arrived in the wrapper with 125SX written on it. Now I know that it's probably close and all that but there are differences in a 125 and 150 stock pipes if not mistaken. I never rode the bike with the stocker so I can't compare.

Here is a pic of the silencers, you can see the difference. Almost looks like it was made for another bike from the angle of the bend. It's so bad they welded it into the inlet cap crooked to try to get the angle of the silencer back in check! Of course me being me, I cut the silencer down to shorty length. Had I left it original length it may not have even fit on the bike. I'll eventually take it off and try to straighten it out some so it won't melt or muck up the fender.

nytsmaC
10/15/2013 12:43pm
Mine worked great on the Husky 144, but as others have said fit/finish isn't as good as you would expect for the high price of these things. There were a couple of small pinhole leaks on the pipe (which stopped leaking once it got carboned up inside). I had to rotate the kickstarter back one notch on the spline and it still made contact with the pipe.

The all carbon silencer is still going strong with almost 40 hours on it now and it sounds great.

Scalvini made a pipe specifically for the Husky 144 which was used and tested with the Husky team in the EMX series. It works great and while it has its little quirks the performance and trickness make you all but forget about it.

I too have heard of the Scalvini pipes not performing great on some bikes, but the one they make for your Husky 144 is tits.
DrSweden
10/15/2013 2:07pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2013 2:08pm
Ha, Italians always master of looks, but when it comes to mechanical skills the prejudgement is they have issues, I guess this is another example of that. But it looks tits, runs strong as long as it holds together!
newmann
10/15/2013 3:17pm
No doubt the 150 runs amazingly great, handles great and feels super light. No complaints there. Just did not have a before/after opinion of the pipe swap. And yes, the looks make up for the fit and finish.
sharkey
10/15/2013 6:08pm
had one on a ktm 65. looks were great but it fit like hell. a lot of work to make it go on. sold it a year later
The Rock
10/16/2013 12:22am
If the YZ125 Scalvini will accept a stock silencer the FMF for sure will work. My guess is you're okay but call Motoman who imports TMs and Scalvini and ask them (909) 608-0082 to be sure. Good luck!

Post a reply to: Scalvini Exhaust Experience?

The Latest