Savatgy's Bike Problem - Chain?

benstone
Anyone hear anything about what happened to his bike in the first moto? It sure looked like a chain. He looked down on that side after he crested that little hill and then the bike coasted very easily for quite a ways. If the motor let go, you'd think it would have shown some signs like smoke or locking up at some point. I would also think he would have at least tried to kick it over but he knew for some reason that it was a lost cause before he even stopped rolling.
|
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/2/2018 5:33pm
Engine.
6/2/2018 6:04pm
GuyB wrote:
Engine.
GuyB, thank you so much for the insight! Great to know it was his engine. It wasn’t one of the thousands of moving parts inside of it, just the engine in general! Wow!

The Shop

Ebs
6/2/2018 6:11pm
GuyB, thank you so much for the insight! Great to know it was his engine. It wasn’t one of the thousands of moving parts inside of...
GuyB, thank you so much for the insight! Great to know it was his engine. It wasn’t one of the thousands of moving parts inside of it, just the engine in general! Wow!
Do you even lift, bro?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
6/2/2018 6:17pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2018 6:18pm
GuyB wrote:
Engine.
GuyB, thank you so much for the insight! Great to know it was his engine. It wasn’t one of the thousands of moving parts inside of...
I’m sure that entire engine came apart immediately so they knew the exact part that failed so they could tell you...you know, instead of taking that short turn around time to get Savatgy’s bike a fresh engine back and into staging for Moto 2...ohh wait, they did take the roughly 35 mins or so they had to focus on getting Savatgy’s bike back together, the other bikes prepped and back to the line...not tear down the engine. You know, logic and such.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
6/2/2018 6:27pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2018 6:28pm
For some people being a dick is merely a hobby. For others, a serious profession.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/2/2018 6:41pm
GuyB wrote:
Engine.
Let’s see. The original poster suggests it was a chain. I corrected him on that.

When I talked to someone from PC, I asked if it was fuel (because it was late in the moto) or engine. They said engine, when they could have taken the easy route and said fuel. I’m sorry that answer wasn’t adequate for you.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
6/2/2018 6:44pm
GuyB wrote:
Engine.
ML512 wrote:
I’m sure that entire engine came apart immediately so they knew the exact part that failed so they could tell you...you know, instead of taking that...
I’m sure that entire engine came apart immediately so they knew the exact part that failed so they could tell you...you know, instead of taking that short turn around time to get Savatgy’s bike a fresh engine back and into staging for Moto 2...ohh wait, they did take the roughly 35 mins or so they had to focus on getting Savatgy’s bike back together, the other bikes prepped and back to the line...not tear down the engine. You know, logic and such.
I have no idea on this....those guys can do a complete motor swap in 35 mins or so? Takes me that long to clean a filter
logan_140
6/2/2018 7:19pm
Seems like pc has the most engine failures of any teams
mx216
6/2/2018 7:23pm
GuyB wrote:
Engine.
Sorry, they left their x-ray glasses back at the shop so no official word. Does it matter if it dropped a valve, or the rod broke, the main bearing came apart or thenpsiton cracked? Either way the engine catastrophicly failed, and that's what ended his race..
RedDirtDog
6/2/2018 7:26pm
logan_140 wrote:
yeah i think they have to push the limits to keep up on HP, i dont think kawi 250'fs have the best base power in compaison to star/ktm bikes.
Excaliburbmx
6/2/2018 7:26pm
logan_140 wrote:
Maybe they are pushing the envelope more or doing more r and d in real time.
Wandell
6/2/2018 7:37pm
Wow!! Why be a decent human being when it's so easy to be a total dick, right?
Thanks for all you do GuyB! Most of us appreciate the info.
crusher773
6/2/2018 8:10pm
ML512 wrote:
I’m sure that entire engine came apart immediately so they knew the exact part that failed so they could tell you...you know, instead of taking that...
KennyT wrote:
I have no idea on this....those guys can do a complete motor swap in 35 mins or so? Takes me that long to clean a filter
We watched Osborne's motor swap at Millville last year. That bike was washed, motor out and new one in the frame.before the 450 gate even dropped. It was pretty quick.
chump6784
6/2/2018 8:17pm
logan_140 wrote:
Either way it's not a good look. Gotta make some potential clients second guess sending their engines to them
Crush
6/2/2018 8:20pm
I thought it might have been chain as there was no smoke? Like none, blue, white, black? Just dead. Maybe it really was electrical this time!
6/2/2018 8:47pm
Coasted to a stop looking down at chain side.
No smoke or evidence of a piston failure or lock up.
Word from the team it was an engine failure.
An Oregano on the sideline eating a bag of dicks.

Dry sounds like a transmission failure with a side of cock in mouth to me
6/2/2018 9:32pm
logan_140 wrote:
chump6784 wrote:
Either way it's not a good look. Gotta make some potential clients second guess sending their engines to them
Average PC client isn't going to get anything close to what Savatgy has anyway. The average customer would bad mouth them out of business if they were sent the ticking time bomb engine package that these guys are riding. Local Joe isn't going to be willing to do a total engine rebuild every 4 hours to keep it running. Chicken Licks Raceway would have rods, pistons, and valves scattered all over the property.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
6/2/2018 9:47pm
logan_140 wrote:
Sure does, all the way back to the days of 125s. Southwick is especially harsh.
6/2/2018 9:53pm
Does anyone know why they have to swap motors?
Why don't they have a second race bike, fully set up ready to fuel up & go?

Deal with the blown one on Monday morning..?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
6/2/2018 9:58pm
Does anyone know why they have to swap motors? Why don't they have a second race bike, fully set up ready to fuel up & go...

You're only allowed to tech one bike/frame. So you have to continue with that bike and swap the engine.
drt410
6/2/2018 10:13pm
What if the frame breaks?
blackdiamond
6/3/2018 12:13am
Crush wrote:
I thought it might have been chain as there was no smoke? Like none, blue, white, black? Just dead. Maybe it really was electrical this time!
I was thinking the same thing when I was watching.
Jeff alessi
6/3/2018 12:36am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2018 12:37am
Coasted to a stop looking down at chain side. No smoke or evidence of a piston failure or lock up. Word from the team it was...

Def an engine failure, watch half a second before he lands. That front end drops hard off the step off.
Gandorlf
6/3/2018 1:51am
Coasted to a stop looking down at chain side. No smoke or evidence of a piston failure or lock up. Word from the team it was...

Def an engine failure, watch half a second before he lands. That front end drops hard off the step off.
Is it likely the connecting rod snapped? I didn't see his rear wheel lock up so something inside was still at least half working haha. Damn shame he rode his heart out!
6/3/2018 3:10am
Does anyone know why they have to swap motors? Why don't they have a second race bike, fully set up ready to fuel up & go...

ML512 wrote:
You're only allowed to tech one bike/frame. So you have to continue with that bike and swap the engine.
Thanks, I didn't know that. Is there a legitimate reason for that?
Maybe thinking along the lines that motors will be less 'delicate' if they're designed to last two motos?
either that or the mechanics day is a stressful one.

Post a reply to: Savatgy's Bike Problem - Chain?

The Latest