Satellite phone or Satellite messenger? Spot or ????

smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
I really need a sat phone/sat messenger/ something to save me when shit hits the fan deep in the Colorado high country. What do you guys like and use?
https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=668
|
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2893rd
9/22/2019 4:26pm
I've mainly used the Garmin InReach GPS system. I myself have never needed to use the SOS features but a few friends have. They got caught in an avalanche, everyone got out fine thankfully, but their snowmobiles were buried and it was getting late. They used the InReach to get a hold of search and rescue for help. Due to the amount of snow and conditions they still had to walk over a mile to actually get to the search and rescue teams, but without the InReach they would have been on their own either for the night in the woods or doing a 20 mile walk through the backwoods in the mountains in a couple feet of fresh snow.

Moral of the story I don't ride dirt bikes or snowmobiles in the Mountains now without an InReach or similar product. Even when in a large group.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
9/22/2019 4:50pm
Another for Garmin InReach.

Spot did not track me in the mountains of Colorado... Sold it and got a Garmin.
ratonmacias
9/22/2019 9:31pm
I was considering getting a spot but i dont know if it Will work in México.

The Shop

Xeno
9/23/2019 8:22am
InReach device (I have the original DeLorme), paired with an iPhone.
I carry charging cables for both devices.
stone881
9/23/2019 10:47am
colintrax wrote:
I use this fellow. It's relatively small and light, and the best part is no subscription fee. Unfortunately it's only for SHTF. No calling your grandma...
I use this fellow. It's relatively small and light, and the best part is no subscription fee.
Unfortunately it's only for SHTF. No calling your grandma

https://www.amazon.com/PLB-375-ResQLink-Buoyant-Personal-Locator/dp/B00…
I use this one also and also recommend it. As colintrax said, its for emergency only, but has multiple antennas and because I spend a lot of time in the mountains and canyon country, signal availability/strength needs to be a concern.
peelout
9/23/2019 10:59am
disbanded wrote:
Another for Garmin InReach.

Spot did not track me in the mountains of Colorado... Sold it and got a Garmin.
we've used Spot in mexico and it was spotty (no pun) at best.

i ordered an InReach last week, good timing for this thread
Lunch_Box
9/23/2019 11:14am
I use a Garmin InReach for sledding. Have it pair with my phone so I can send and receive texts throughout the day while travelling in the country. My wife loves being able to check in, or me text her to say all is good. Plus each message also lets her know where on the mountain I am with GPS coordinates should she ever need to send help.

Spot doesn't give you the ability to talk to people, just send out an SOS call if needed.
jbrownmxr
9/23/2019 9:30pm
Garmin inReach all the way. I’ve had sat phones. They’re a PITA.

Post a reply to: Satellite phone or Satellite messenger? Spot or ????

The Latest