Sand tires shootout/help

Related:
Create New Tag

11/22/2018 5:42 AM

Help a brother out, choosing the rear sand tire.
I am currently looking at either Dunlop MX12 or Starcross 5 Sand. Starcross 5 soft up front on my bike if that matters.
Both look decent, cost almost the same, but I have no experience whatsoever.
The thing is I have never used a proper sand tire, even though I ride in deep sand throughout winter time every year.
Here in Poland during the winter season that is pretty much all we can ride, as harder packed tracks become rock hard (freezing temps) and slippery, or very muddy (above freezing temps...) and slippery. Not much fun either way.
Which ones would you recommend?
Going to use it on 250 2-stroke.
Input appreciated!

Rear sand tire

View Results

|

11/22/2018 7:30 AM

I use the Starcross, but mainly because I've been able to get them quite a bit cheaper. No complaints.

|

Current rides: 2016 KTM 250SXF, 2017 KTM 350SXF

11/22/2018 7:44 AM

I have used the starcross but i prefer the pirelli scorpion.

|

11/22/2018 8:02 AM

Anyone try the Bridgestone X10 set? I know when I used to ride / race at a winter sand track up here in the NW , i always preferred the Michelin S-12's. Wet , sloppy sand condition's , and it felt like I was riding on velcro..

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

11/22/2018 8:04 AM

mx33

|

11/22/2018 8:43 AM

Pirelli MX410

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

11/22/2018 9:47 AM

The Mx11 is almost as good as the 12 in pure sand but can handle harder ground better and is rounder to corner better, the 12 is a great pure paddle

|

11/22/2018 9:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/22/2018 10:04 AM

When it comes to sand tires Dunlop is the way to go. I haven't used the new MX12 since i had so many MX11s this season but i'll get the new model for next year.

The bad part about the MX11 was that is was horrible in corners that were a bit firmer than pure sand, that seems to be fixed with the MX12.

|

11/22/2018 9:52 AM

Mm471 wrote:

The Mx11 is almost as good as the 12 in pure sand but can handle harder ground better and is rounder to corner better, the 12 is a great pure paddle

Ya sorry I had the numbers switched

|

11/23/2018 6:00 PM

jeffro503 wrote:

Anyone try the Bridgestone X10 set? I know when I used to ride / race at a winter sand track up here in the NW , i always preferred the Michelin S-12's. Wet , sloppy sand condition's , and it felt like I was riding on velcro..

Yeah mate. Awesome and great side grip as the lugs on the side are sturdier. Great when the track gets harder underneath

|

11/23/2018 6:43 PM

I swear by the starcross 5 front in sand (not deep sand more like a sandy loam) I haven’t tried the rear yet but plan on getting one soon

|

11/24/2018 12:37 AM

For 450 you need a 120 Pirelli paddle. Dunlop mx11 is ok as 110 for 450. They have very different height profiles so Dunlop requires fork to be higher up in the clamps so you can turn.

Both of them works good on sand, not a huge difference.

|

11/24/2018 2:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/24/2018 2:25 AM

Motofinne wrote:

When it comes to sand tires Dunlop is the way to go. I haven't used the new MX12 since i had so many MX11s this season but i'll get the new model for next year.

The bad part about the MX11 was that is was horrible in corners that were a bit firmer than pure sand, that seems to be fixed with the MX12.

Yes I rode with the MX11 before the MX12 came out but the MX12 is definitely the better tire. Like you said, it's better in turns, especially tight ones. Easier to lay the bike over. I also had the impression that the MX12 is a little bit more narrow then the MX11 by just looking at it.

|

11/24/2018 3:55 AM

I’m going to quote a pro rider on a factory team, in regards to sand tires, from a private conversation I had with him at Tennessee.
“The team is sponsored by Dunlop, but before we renewed the deal we tested out the Pirelli’s, and their sand tire was like cheating. I was so upset we didn’t go to pirelli”
I am a pirelli sponsored rider, full disclosure, but the only reason I started riding them was my discount. Then once I did ride them- for my upright/over the back of the bike style and two stroke bikes i have found no better tire. I’m lucky to have a deal with them.

|

11/24/2018 4:19 AM

Jeff_Crutcher wrote:

I’m going to quote a pro rider on a factory team, in regards to sand tires, from a private conversation I had with him at Tennessee.
“The team is sponsored by Dunlop, but before we renewed the deal we tested out the Pirelli’s, and their sand tire was like cheating. I was so upset we didn’t go to pirelli”
I am a pirelli sponsored rider, full disclosure, but the only reason I started riding them was my discount. Then once I did ride them- for my upright/over the back of the bike style and two stroke bikes i have found no better tire. I’m lucky to have a deal with them.

Think it also depends what kind of sand you ride. Probably what you call sand over there in the USA is another kind of sand then what we got here in Europe. (belgium/netherlands)

|

11/24/2018 5:16 AM

Whatever tire Herlings is on, use that ; )

|

11/24/2018 8:15 AM

hellion wrote:

Whatever tire Herlings is on, use that ; )

yeah you cant buy that.

|

2009 RMZ 250 (sold)
2004 LTZ 400
#nukethequads

11/24/2018 8:33 AM

hellion wrote:

Whatever tire Herlings is on, use that ; )

Marty1028 wrote:

yeah you cant buy that.

Pretty sure you can.

|

11/24/2018 9:09 AM

Always partial to the Bridgestone M25/M26 combo for sand conditions. Don't think you'll find them...

|

11/24/2018 9:54 AM

Both are good choices, but I prefer the Pirelli.

|

11/24/2018 10:45 AM

Big fan of the Bridgestone X10 rear - incredible bite in sand and crosses over into a bit harder stuff well also. Have had great longevity from it too.

|

11/24/2018 11:48 AM

That's what most guys use these days in the french sand races championship. Gnarly.

http://mxgrip.fr/fr/

Photo

|

11/24/2018 2:17 PM

Used to run the ol Michelin S12 and still have a pair sitting around and now it's the Starcross. Michelin all the way.

|

11/24/2018 2:18 PM

GODZILLA wrote:

That's what most guys use these days in the french sand races championship. Gnarly.

http://mxgrip.fr/fr/

Photo

That thing looks gnarly....

|

11/24/2018 3:10 PM

Almost a paddle tire, but a legal one.
wink

|

11/26/2018 12:19 PM

MX12! cool


Photo

Photo

|

11/26/2018 12:47 PM

MotoMatt_928 wrote:

MX12! cool


Photo

Photo

Same real height as MX11 or they changed that?

|

11/26/2018 1:12 PM

aees wrote:

Same real height as MX11 or they changed that?

It should be the same, as long as you are using the same size tire. Here is a link to the exact measurements on the MX12.

https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tire-line/geomax-mx12/

|

11/26/2018 1:25 PM

MotoMatt_928 wrote:

MX12! cool


Photo

Photo

aees wrote:

Same real height as MX11 or they changed that?

MotoMatt_928 wrote:

It should be the same, as long as you are using the same size tire. Here is a link to the exact measurements on the MX12.

https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tire-line/geomax-mx12/

3mm higher profile, but 6mm more narrow. Higher profile is good, not noticeable but the 6mm more narrow is not good. I thought it was on the limit with MX11 and if the MX12 is 6mm more narrow it is a no go.

No 120 it seems?

|

11/26/2018 2:17 PM

get the Skat Trak Hooker bro, would ya just look at it

Photo

|