Sand added to Southwick

RonJon516
6/23/2017 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2017 1:59pm
Looks like they've added a lot of new "local" sand to Southwick. Over the years the track has changed to a harder base for sure. Glad to see all the work they've been doing to the track and this years national should be good snd ruff (soft sand ruff).

|
IWreckALot
6/23/2017 12:19pm
That is a beautiful site. I've got a question for those of you that have majored in "dirt". Where does the sand go? One of our local tracks that is now closed brought in a ton of sand and other dirts and it seemed to last for a month and then it just went away. Does it mix with the other soil and thin out? Seems like at some point, you would have enough brought in to be more of a permanent fix.
RonJon516
6/23/2017 12:25pm
IWreckALot wrote:
That is a beautiful site. I've got a question for those of you that have majored in "dirt". Where does the sand go? One of our...
That is a beautiful site. I've got a question for those of you that have majored in "dirt". Where does the sand go? One of our local tracks that is now closed brought in a ton of sand and other dirts and it seemed to last for a month and then it just went away. Does it mix with the other soil and thin out? Seems like at some point, you would have enough brought in to be more of a permanent fix.
Might sound stupid, but every bike that leaves there takes a little sand with them and over the years it adds up :/. Probably lose a lot when it's dusty too.

The Shop

RonJon516
6/23/2017 12:38pm
Too bad they have a race that weekend Sad
Herlings at Southwick would be epic ✊️
pete24
6/23/2017 12:58pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2017 12:58pm
i raced southwick in the 80s and i raced it last weekend , its almost back to old school southwick , and after this round of sand it will be
c0ncEpT
6/23/2017 1:03pm
Gonna need about 200 more truck loads that size to make a dent. Its a good start tho.
Acidreamer
6/23/2017 1:43pm
IWreckALot wrote:
That is a beautiful site. I've got a question for those of you that have majored in "dirt". Where does the sand go? One of our...
RonJon516 wrote:
Might sound stupid, but every bike that leaves there takes a little sand with them and over the years it adds up :/. Probably lose a...
Might sound stupid, but every bike that leaves there takes a little sand with them and over the years it adds up :/. Probably lose a lot when it's dusty too.
Ill bet it mixes with the base dirt everytime they rip the track too
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
6/23/2017 1:49pm
IWreckALot wrote:
The sand at Southwick and most places washes away and it just leaves the base.
Hammer 663s
6/23/2017 2:12pm
Man I need me a couple loads of that. We've put 50 yards of sawdust and another 10 of wood chips into our place this Spring. It's pretty loamy now. Love to add some sand and/or have a real sand section.

Hammer 663s
peelout
6/23/2017 2:14pm
IWreckALot wrote:
the core bros carry it out in their vaginas after "their guy" doesn't win
Jbulz
Fantasy
3981st
6/23/2017 2:15pm
IWreckALot wrote:
RonJon516 wrote:
Might sound stupid, but every bike that leaves there takes a little sand with them and over the years it adds up :/. Probably lose a...
For sure. I used to have a gravel parking spot on the side of my house. I've washed my bike so many times there, that the gravel is totally buried under nice top soil and grass. It's crazy how much dirt can stick to a bike!
Hammer 663s
6/23/2017 2:19pm
Jbulz wrote:
For sure. I used to have a gravel parking spot on the side of my house. I've washed my bike so many times there, that the...
For sure. I used to have a gravel parking spot on the side of my house. I've washed my bike so many times there, that the gravel is totally buried under nice top soil and grass. It's crazy how much dirt can stick to a bike!
Ha me too!!! Glen Helen, Hangtown, and everything else in Norcal left an almost paved spot in the gravel where I washed the bikes. I've moved wash spots around over the years and it just got bigger.

Hammer 663s
aeffertz
6/23/2017 2:20pm
Awesome. It looked rrally good last year after all the sand they trucked in so this can only make it that much better!

Hopefully a mudder this weekend and then a sabd track will br a nice change of pace from the typical rutocross tracks.
slipdog
6/23/2017 2:53pm
Bringing sand in to make a sand track sandy... Herlings and Cairoli just spit Red Bull out his nose!
10000hrs
6/23/2017 2:59pm
I was there in the mid 70's when a true gully washer came thru between the first and second motos.
Every valley became a 15 foot deep, ten foot wide trench. It all washed down to the starting gate and it was under six foot of sand. Second motos were canceled. I might have it on Super 8 somewhere.

while a lot of sand was bulldozed back up the hill, I bet a lot of it washed down behind the start line.
6/23/2017 3:03pm
IWreckALot wrote:
peelout wrote:
^ this is most likely...
machine
6/23/2017 3:05pm
It's funny how no one used to care about sand tracks, till we started getting our asses whooped at MXDN, now,it's all about sand..Grinning
ga_pike
6/23/2017 3:16pm
Its Similar to how weeds and such stick to mower decks... if you have a perfect yard, don't allow a yard company to cut it because they bring in the junk on their mowers.
BMSOBx2
6/23/2017 4:14pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2017 4:20pm
IWreckALot wrote:
peelout wrote:
LMAO!!! GrinningGrinning

Sand to Southwick. Isn't that like bringing coal to Newcastle?
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
3920th
6/23/2017 4:30pm
IWreckALot wrote:
I bet erosion from wind/rain & the 1000'sof riders that come through each year taking sand home w/ them on their bikes & gear (caked on). Just think if they never add any sand and the track has been open for 20+ years, that's a lot of sand making its way out every time Rider comes in and goes home. Then you have wind blowing it and all the storms that come through and wash it away! Just my thought..
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3665th
6/23/2017 4:36pm
I would love to shred a ktm 150 on that track.!!!!
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
6/23/2017 5:17pm
CrGuy2T wrote:
I would love to shred a ktm 150 on that track.!!!!
You like seizing KTMs, do ya? TongueLaughingWink
opyguy
6/23/2017 5:17pm
I plan on bringing my slow 50 year old ass there on Sunday...ill try to post some pics
dedi684
6/23/2017 5:25pm
opyguy wrote:
I plan on bringing my slow 50 year old ass there on Sunday...ill try to post some pics
Me too I cant wait
6/23/2017 5:30pm
slipdog wrote:
Bringing sand in to make a sand track sandy... Herlings and Cairoli just spit Red Bull out his nose!
Woohoo
RonJon516
6/23/2017 5:35pm
opyguy wrote:
dedi684 wrote:
Me too I cant wait
Haha me too! Maybe we'll have a beer after

Post a reply to: Sand added to Southwick

The Latest