Sand Tires

Related:
Create New Tag

9/20/2019 7:21 AM

Has anyone tested the Dunlop MX12 or 11 against the Pirelli Scorpion? What I’ve read, anecdotally indicated the Pirelli is a better tire. Much better. To me, the Dunlop’s appear to be designed for more intermediate sand vice pure, deep sand. Is Team USA at a disadvantage with the Dunlop?

|

9/20/2019 7:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2019 7:33 AM

The MX11 and 12 were the sand tire kings. But everyone (that i have talked to) that has tried that new Pirelli says that it is a clear step above the Dunlop.

I haven't tried it yet since i still have 2 sets of MX12:s left but i will when i need new sand tires.

|

9/20/2019 7:42 AM

I’m hoping Dunlop has some factory only, no compromise, deep sand tires for these guys. Do any MXGP guys run Dunlop’s in the deep sand?

Calling Broc Glover...

|

9/20/2019 7:46 AM

I've used them both. Several races a year for me are pure sand. they're both heads and tails better than a traditional pattern but I do like the Pirelli better. And I'm a Dunlop guy.

|

Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous. Checkout; ABetterStockMarket.com

9/20/2019 7:53 AM

|

9/20/2019 7:59 AM

|

9/20/2019 11:33 AM

The mx12 is clearly better then the mx11 for laying over into a corner.
The biggest problem of the pirelli is durability. The scoops on the dunlop are way more solid so I use the dunlop. I'd rather have a tire that lasts a whole season instead of maybe a few percents more performance and having to change it every few months. The pirelli's are cheaper though. I just hate changing tires.

|

9/21/2019 3:10 PM

PRM31 wrote:

I’m hoping Dunlop has some factory only, no compromise, deep sand tires for these guys. Do any MXGP guys run Dunlop’s in the deep sand?

Calling Broc Glover...

no. even at red bud our guys were the top guys running dunlops.

|

9/21/2019 3:51 PM

PRM31 wrote:

Calling Broc Glover...

cable wrote:

Glen Coldenhoff on his Standing Construct KTM, (along with Max Anstie which someone referenced above, same team) both run Dunlop’s. So if Team USA is at a disadvantage based on tires so is 1/3 of Team The Netherlands..

|

9/21/2019 4:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/21/2019 4:35 PM

Good to know! Perhaps the tire Anstie ran at Lommel this year is new from Dunlop. It’s clearly not an MX11 or 12.

Sounds like a non-issue.

|

9/21/2019 4:39 PM

No mention of Michelin?

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

9/21/2019 4:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/21/2019 4:55 PM

Anyone run the new Hoosier sand tire?

|

9/21/2019 5:26 PM

The pirelli is the way. Front and rear.

Also I don’t know if you guys know this but everyone runs the paddles in practice at the nationals short of washougal. Sand tires aren’t for just sand. Deep shit is best on a paddle. Starts are such a noticeable difference with the paddle.

There are a handful of black dirt tracks around here that I want to run the pirelli 410 in practice and moto 1 because it’s that huge of a difference.

|

9/21/2019 6:24 PM

PRM31 wrote:

Calling Broc Glover...

cable wrote:

OFalk280 wrote:

Glen Coldenhoff on his Standing Construct KTM, (along with Max Anstie which someone referenced above, same team) both run Dunlop’s. So if Team USA is at a disadvantage based on tires so is 1/3 of Team The Netherlands..

when he smoked everyone last year glenn was on pirellis.

|

9/21/2019 10:10 PM

cable wrote:

OFalk280 wrote:

cable wrote:

when he smoked everyone last year glenn was on pirellis.

And he was also on Factory Red Bull KTM at the time which is why I mention he’s racing for Standing Construct KTM this year. He’s won two overalls for GPs and placed third in points this season and as far as I know (I could most definitely be wrong though as I don’t know barely anything about the GPs) the Standing Construct KTM Team is the only bigger established team running Dunlop’s simply because Pirelli has a bigger presence overseas

|

9/22/2019 4:15 AM

Not sure about Europe but the factory guys in the states run "factory spec" tyres which are purely performance based and are waaay better than what we are able to buy.

Our prefered choice is Dunlop.

|

9/22/2019 6:58 PM

paging KEEFER TESTING.

|