San Diego Mudder...

devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3887th
1/31/2019 10:40pm
It looks like we might have a real mudder this weekend. A1 was sloppy and rutted, but I think this week we might not see riders even doubling the triples with the expected rain.

We'll see. I'm stating the obvious, but it depends on how much rain we get.

If it's muddy I'm expecting a win from Marvin or Kenny.
Ranman68
1/31/2019 10:50pm
Determining the weather can be inconsistent and is based on multiple factors that can all contribute to the actual weather and ultimately predicting the weather is...
Determining the weather can be inconsistent and is based on multiple factors that can all contribute to the actual weather and ultimately predicting the weather is as simple as that, predicting it... but it's understandable when uneducated people don't comprehend these things and blame the person trying to feed their family.
visser62 wrote:
Don't know why you're being downvoted. People are dum-dums.
I've never paid attention to this but I just noticed I got downvoted for starting this thread about a rain storm possibly affecting the race on...
I've never paid attention to this but I just noticed I got downvoted for starting this thread about a rain storm possibly affecting the race on Saturday night.... LOL!! Classic stuff on this site!
Nothing wrong with anything you said.

The Shop

Ranman68
1/31/2019 11:10pm
Sounds like another Cooper Webb kind of night. Or a Barcia kind of night. Speaking of Barcia... How's that butt healing up? Anyone know? I felt plum sorry for the guy last weekend. That had to be a long night.
CPR
1/31/2019 11:22pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2019 11:24pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/30/322099/s1200_A2E3103E_17B0_41EE_AF31_E086C0D77EB1.jpg[/img]

WCRider wrote:
Too bad if it rains because the dirt looks great.
tek14 wrote:
Why they dont dig ditch between lines to get rain water away from track?
Safety would be my guess, but what's at the end of those sections? Another lane? No point draining there if it's just going to flood another part of the track.
Leedle
2/1/2019 12:10am
Brent wrote:
Fuck it, Im still going and sitting in my uncovered seats. Time to wear the ski pants and jacket...
Frogg Toggs Ultra Lite rain suit. I was bone dry after A1
downard254
2/1/2019 7:52am
I’m in Ohio loving the temp swings, the snow, the ice, the rain, -12 degrees one day and 51 degrees two days later, then back we go again. I’ll be dealing mud here soon enough when spring gets here. I work in it, so yea, pretty much not interested in going to a mud race and sitting in the rain. Maybe if I was around 18-25 years old I’d go, but at 52, I’ve had enough of this shit that I’m perfectly fine on the couch with a cold beer and a slice of pizza.
BroFoSho
2/1/2019 7:54am
It looks like we might have a real mudder this weekend. A1 was sloppy and rutted, but I think this week we might not see riders...
It looks like we might have a real mudder this weekend. A1 was sloppy and rutted, but I think this week we might not see riders even doubling the triples with the expected rain.

If it is a mudder I hope they modify the track. Knock down the triples, turn whoops into rollers, etc.

No sense in having peaky obstacles if they are going to roll them at 5mph
Rocket88
2/1/2019 8:57am
Maybe that can make a piranha pond to jump over.
DPR250R
2/1/2019 9:05am
BroFoSho wrote:
If it is a mudder I hope they modify the track. Knock down the triples, turn whoops into rollers, etc. No sense in having peaky obstacles...
If it is a mudder I hope they modify the track. Knock down the triples, turn whoops into rollers, etc.

I hate to say it but 100% agree. Even with those changes the racing will be great and the track will still be challenging.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3887th
2/1/2019 9:05am
It looks like we might have a real mudder this weekend. A1 was sloppy and rutted, but I think this week we might not see riders...

BroFoSho wrote:
If it is a mudder I hope they modify the track. Knock down the triples, turn whoops into rollers, etc. No sense in having peaky obstacles...

Remember when they didn't do that? The track actually required skill and mud riding ability... feels like mud races nowadays comes down to who can ride mud, not who can ride mud on a supercross track.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
2/1/2019 10:03am
BroFoSho wrote:

Yeah, that's what they did at Seattle last year.
downard254
2/1/2019 11:06am
BroFoSho wrote:

RichieW13 wrote:
Yeah, that's what they did at Seattle last year.
Man, that might actually be a race to attend if the track was more like a 70's supercross track with lots of mud. No steep sharp objects. Easier to maintain momentum. At least they would be able to put effort into racing each other instead of just trying to navigate the track.
hamncheeze
2/1/2019 12:34pm
Having been to a few Seattle mudders in the past few years, plus the Las Vegas mud bog of 2016, I will say that a lot depends on the dirt quality and the timing of the rain. Vegas the track was already getting blue groove in 2016 then the rain hit hard and fast around 3 PM and it just became a quagmire very quickly, especially once they actually tried to work on the track. That clay was so so heavy. Watching Reed and Davi launch the triple out of turn 2 early in the 450 main, those 2 dudes had big balls! In the rhythm lane in front of us, I could hear Malcolm land with a squishy thud every lap on the triple that was in it, it was so spongy and he just kept hitting it lap after lap on a 250 no less.

Seattle 2013 and 2017 were both on and off rain, 2013 the dirt had more clay in it and it was "sticky" for sure, I remember Tomac going OTB right in front of us when he landed on a soft spot jumping into a turn, and the bike just buried. 2017 Seattle actually turned out really good, the dirt was some weird silty/sandy/clay/gravel mix and it could actually absorb the water fairly well. The faces of the jumps broke down and it got pretty sketchy but it led to an awesome night of racing, maybe the best race I've been to live. Seattle 2018 had different dirt, more like 2013 and it was pretty bad. There was also a lot more rain falling than in 2013 or 2017 and I have to say watching guys get stuck in corners at a SX is pretty lame.

Hopefully for San Diego they were able to mix in some sand/gravel to the clay and maybe it won't be as bad as if it was traditional SoCal SX dirt.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
2/1/2019 12:42pm
hamncheeze wrote:
Having been to a few Seattle mudders in the past few years, plus the Las Vegas mud bog of 2016, I will say that a lot...
Having been to a few Seattle mudders in the past few years, plus the Las Vegas mud bog of 2016, I will say that a lot depends on the dirt quality and the timing of the rain. Vegas the track was already getting blue groove in 2016 then the rain hit hard and fast around 3 PM and it just became a quagmire very quickly, especially once they actually tried to work on the track. That clay was so so heavy. Watching Reed and Davi launch the triple out of turn 2 early in the 450 main, those 2 dudes had big balls! In the rhythm lane in front of us, I could hear Malcolm land with a squishy thud every lap on the triple that was in it, it was so spongy and he just kept hitting it lap after lap on a 250 no less.

Seattle 2013 and 2017 were both on and off rain, 2013 the dirt had more clay in it and it was "sticky" for sure, I remember Tomac going OTB right in front of us when he landed on a soft spot jumping into a turn, and the bike just buried. 2017 Seattle actually turned out really good, the dirt was some weird silty/sandy/clay/gravel mix and it could actually absorb the water fairly well. The faces of the jumps broke down and it got pretty sketchy but it led to an awesome night of racing, maybe the best race I've been to live. Seattle 2018 had different dirt, more like 2013 and it was pretty bad. There was also a lot more rain falling than in 2013 or 2017 and I have to say watching guys get stuck in corners at a SX is pretty lame.

Hopefully for San Diego they were able to mix in some sand/gravel to the clay and maybe it won't be as bad as if it was traditional SoCal SX dirt.
Last year in Seattle, I seem to remember somebody's bike getting stuck on the inside of a turn, and it just stayed there until the race was over.

Cianciarulo DNF'ed the heat race because he burned up his clutch while leading.

The rain/mud can be fun. But when the bikes can't last for 9 minutes, that takes some fun out of it.
2/1/2019 12:43pm
SD Weather............they have backed off from 100% Rain, the Rain can be scattered, so it can miss Petco Park the Stadium.

clinthadwin
2/1/2019 12:53pm
SD Weather............they have backed off from 100% Rain, the Rain can be scattered, so it can miss Petco Park the Stadium. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/01/322428/s1200_SD_Rain_Capture.jpg[/img]
SD Weather............they have backed off from 100% Rain, the Rain can be scattered, so it can miss Petco Park the Stadium.

I don't know where that's from, but all my sources are saying it's much worse:

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/1/2019 12:58pm
hamncheeze wrote:
Having been to a few Seattle mudders in the past few years, plus the Las Vegas mud bog of 2016, I will say that a lot...

RichieW13 wrote:
Last year in Seattle, I seem to remember somebody's bike getting stuck on the inside of a turn, and it just stayed there until the race...
Last year in Seattle, I seem to remember somebody's bike getting stuck on the inside of a turn, and it just stayed there until the race was over.

Cianciarulo DNF'ed the heat race because he burned up his clutch while leading.

The rain/mud can be fun. But when the bikes can't last for 9 minutes, that takes some fun out of it.
Filthy's bike got stuck I believe.
jeffro503
2/1/2019 1:03pm
Well crap , I was hoping it wasn't going to be a mudder. Hopefully they do like what was mentioned , and that's chill the track out a bit. Makes for better racing when they do it like that. The normal sx tracks are already hairy enough , makes it even worse when it's a mud pit.
hamncheeze
2/1/2019 1:07pm

The NOAA/NWS forecast shows the majority of the rain happening during the night show. Hopefully they can get in 2 practice sessions, one free, one timed. Then the night show will be what it is!
2/1/2019 1:27pm
SD Weather............they have backed off from 100% Rain, the Rain can be scattered, so it can miss Petco Park the Stadium. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/01/322428/s1200_SD_Rain_Capture.jpg[/img]

I don't know where that's from, but all my sources are saying it's much worse: [img]https://i.imgur.com/M7b6XEs.jpg[/img]

AccuWeather, who knows, maybe the Storm will shift just enough time wise or in distance to allow wet but not sloppy conditions. I recently put on a set of new Dunlop MX 33s, I was amazed at how much forward pull you can get in the Mud.
clinthadwin
2/1/2019 1:40pm

I don't know where that's from, but all my sources are saying it's much worse: [img]https://i.imgur.com/M7b6XEs.jpg[/img]

AccuWeather, who knows, maybe the Storm will shift just enough time wise or in distance to allow wet but not sloppy conditions. I recently put on...
AccuWeather, who knows, maybe the Storm will shift just enough time wise or in distance to allow wet but not sloppy conditions. I recently put on a set of new Dunlop MX 33s, I was amazed at how much forward pull you can get in the Mud.
For sure, I'm not saying my sources are better than yours...lol...I have no idea.

If it rains like it did yesterday, then we're effed...but if not, we could be ok. Guess we'll see.
motograss
2/1/2019 3:23pm
hamncheeze wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/01/322440/s1200_SDW.jpg[/img] The NOAA/NWS forecast shows the majority of the rain happening during the night show. Hopefully they can get in 2 practice sessions, one free, one...

The NOAA/NWS forecast shows the majority of the rain happening during the night show. Hopefully they can get in 2 practice sessions, one free, one timed. Then the night show will be what it is!
We have found NOAA isn't a very reliable forecasting tool for near shore and coastal weather either. We spend a lot of time in or around the ocean and NOAA is probably the last information source we depend on unless we are stuck only with a short wave radio.
brocster
2/1/2019 5:23pm
The rain during the night show isn’t the problem, its the rain all day leading into the night show thats the issue.

We’ll be lucky to not see a duck walking contest.

Was going to go and donate $45 to Feld for a seat and $14/15/16 bucks for a couple tall cans to whomever makes that cheeze!

Stay dry bros!
ProKawi24
2/1/2019 5:28pm
The evil side of me almost wishes this was a Triple Crown event. Might have a better chance of the bike making it to the end of each main (they could even make them shorter because of the mud) but the clean up & gear changes between mains....holy hell.
clinthadwin
2/1/2019 7:22pm
brocster wrote:
The rain during the night show isn’t the problem, its the rain all day leading into the night show thats the issue. We’ll be lucky to...
The rain during the night show isn’t the problem, its the rain all day leading into the night show thats the issue.

We’ll be lucky to not see a duck walking contest.

Was going to go and donate $45 to Feld for a seat and $14/15/16 bucks for a couple tall cans to whomever makes that cheeze!

Stay dry bros!
Yea, they're forecasting over an inch downtown leading up to the race, and then like 0.2 during. It's gonna be rough.
wavslide1
2/1/2019 7:31pm
Basically it's going to dump from 2 - 8 PM according to the last weather report. Up to 2" in coastal areas, but the weather has been known to make fools of the weather reporters in CA. ;-) I hope we get decent racing conditions. Watching most racers ski their bikes just isn't that cool.
clinthadwin
2/1/2019 7:36pm
wavslide1 wrote:
Basically it's going to dump from 2 - 8 PM according to the last weather report. Up to 2" in coastal areas, but the weather has...
Basically it's going to dump from 2 - 8 PM according to the last weather report. Up to 2" in coastal areas, but the weather has been known to make fools of the weather reporters in CA. ;-) I hope we get decent racing conditions. Watching most racers ski their bikes just isn't that cool.
Agreed. Unfortunately they nailed the forecast yesterday...like nearly to the minute of first rain...i think we're in for a mud fest. I'm in San Diego and decided to couch call this one. I've been to enough rainy sx races...this time tomorrow I'll be warm and tipsy and yelling loud enough for the stadium to hear anyway!

Post a reply to: San Diego Mudder...

The Latest