Safety idea about triple jumps.

MXMattii
Edited Date/Time 2/24/2018 2:12pm
The picture I made isn't great, hopefully the idea is better. What if they took those tough blocks away (in green) and made a little escape route around the last jump from of the triple (green square). So riders who only can double doesn't need to come up and over the third jump. Because it's there where those gruesome crashes with Trey and now Bogle happened, not?

The down side probably is that not everywhere there will be place to install a escape route, not in this 2018 season when plans are already drawn. But also look back at the Jeremy McGrath Invitational, riders who weren't feeling it for the FMX-Ramp-Double had a escape route around it. Something like that but just for one little jump.

|
SEE ARE125
2/15/2018 5:24pm
Interesting idea, but you’re looking at the triple backwards. The green drawings are after the takeoff, not between jumps 2 & 3.
MXMattii
2/15/2018 5:31pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Interesting idea, but you’re looking at the triple backwards. The green drawings are after the takeoff, not between jumps 2 & 3.
Ok, but as long the idea is clear I'm happy haha. Laughing
kkawboy14
2/15/2018 5:36pm
Tuff blocks save more guys than they hurt. If you want to make them safe, fill in the gaps!

The Shop

mxjeff575
2/15/2018 5:43pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Tuff blocks save more guys than they hurt. If you want to make them safe, fill in the gaps!
I agree! Even just tabletop it in between the 2nd and 3rd jump. Then any rider that doesn't have the drive to triple can still land on top. Table topping the landing won't change the outcome of any race, but it will eliminate some injuries, which will keep the racing better. For example, Peick losing traction and casing a triple in practice last year and then missing the rest of the Supercross season with a broken wrist.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/15/2018 5:45pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
I think I agree with you there.

Also, looking at the right side of that lane (as the riders hit it), it wouldn't shock me a lot if part of the safety feature was to ensure that a bike DIDN'T cross over toward the oncoming traffic.

Taking away the blocks on the right might have some unintended consequences.
tcallahan707
2/15/2018 6:03pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
In most places, yes. After the double on a triple, I'm not sure I agree. When was the last time you saw someone eat shit when doubling the triple? Removing the tuff blocks in that location, at least to the outside of the track, seems like a no brainer to me.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
2/15/2018 6:07pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2018 6:10pm
I had the same idea, good thinking! Should be an exit way on all blind jumps. Last weekend had me cringing every time someone rolled a triple in front of the pack.
JustMX
2/15/2018 6:57pm
I am not sure I understand the point in having a triple when 80% of the riders are jumping it.

Not sure why bogle didn't jump it when guys a lot slower than him were. Maybe he got bumped or cut off, but there are easier ways to make it so riders aren't doubling on a big triple right after the start.

How about simply trying to put more track after the start before the triple?

How about instead of a triple just make it a double with a really long, rounded landing?
kaptkaos
2/15/2018 7:07pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
I think I agree with you there. Also, looking at the right side of that lane (as the riders hit it), it wouldn't shock me a...

Also, looking at the right side of that lane (as the riders hit it), it wouldn't shock me a lot if part of the safety feature was to ensure that a bike DIDN'T cross over toward the oncoming traffic.

I agree 100000000000000000% with both of these.

Mostly bc I am slow and suck, but I know how the ground hurts. No need for the consequence.
newmann
2/15/2018 7:21pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
I've said that for years and years. The usual response? "Do you realize how much dirt that would take".
ktmdan
2/15/2018 7:54pm
Do you think many riders would actually bail off the track in that situation? I mean, if they really thought they were going to get landed on why not just run into/over/in between the tough blocks? Just playing devil's advocate..
2/15/2018 8:14pm
I dont think it is a bad idea. Just have it open for the first lap when the risk is highest. Then move it back.
Sully
2/15/2018 9:26pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Hard point to argue. Imagine what would have happened to Mookie in Oakland if he'd have landed on an old school hay bale instead of a soft modern Tuff Block...
Motofinne
2/16/2018 12:01am
kkawboy14 wrote:
In most places, yes. After the double on a triple, I'm not sure I agree. When was the last time you saw someone eat shit when...
In most places, yes. After the double on a triple, I'm not sure I agree. When was the last time you saw someone eat shit when doubling the triple? Removing the tuff blocks in that location, at least to the outside of the track, seems like a no brainer to me.
Yep, i agree with you. There is no reason to not have an "escape route" for people that for some reason aren't able to do the triple in traffic. I don't think that i have ever seen a rider crash while doubling a triple(except riders like Bogle, Canard, Aeck that got landed on).
mx317
2/16/2018 3:40am
Usually when safer jumps are discussed here, people chime in with pussy remarks and how they can decide to jump or not jump. Kudos to the people who responded to this thread!
PRM31
2/16/2018 3:44am
Giving them a bailout in this one specific situation is a good idea. Move just one or two, and add to the adjacent lane. There’s always trade offs, but getting landed on is one of the worst possible accidents.
Motofinne
2/16/2018 3:52am
PRM31 wrote:
Giving them a bailout in this one specific situation is a good idea. Move just one or two, and add to the adjacent lane. There’s always...
Giving them a bailout in this one specific situation is a good idea. Move just one or two, and add to the adjacent lane. There’s always trade offs, but getting landed on is one of the worst possible accidents.
Exactly.

What is worse:

1. Getting landed on.

2. Someone crashing while doubling a triple(i have never ever seen that happen).

3. Getting out of shape and casing the triple.

I would say that number 1 is by far the worst case scenario. The track crew should make it as safe as possible for riders that are doubling the triple in traffic. Removing 2 tuff blocks on both sides would be a good option for riders that are rolling/doubling the triple.
lumpy790
2/16/2018 5:01am Edited Date/Time 2/16/2018 5:02am
Make a Joker lane for doubling.
Johnny Depp
2/16/2018 5:31am
Get rid of the double in the middle, get rid of Tuff blocks.
bball35
2/16/2018 7:20am
To answer the "Why do the still have triples question"? That's an easy one. First its the only place on the track that gives the riders a second to catch their breath and loosen up and the second reason is the spectacle of seeing how high they get. Everyone remembers the first time they see a rider hit the triple in person.

I agree that a "safe route" would be a good idea just for the fact that one of these days we are going to see a rider landed on and have their neck snap
Moto88
2/16/2018 7:28am
How about swapping out the triples for (old school?) triple step downs. You can still single, double, or triple. Much safer, keeping big air for the fans, and less likely getting landed on if you double.
shiftmx_22
Fantasy
708th
2/16/2018 7:29am
Would you get riders making a split second decision to make a hard right (or left) and potentially making a more dangerous situation for himself and other riders? For example, maybe someone thinks they are on the far left, but there are actually two or three other riders packed in between him and the 'exit'. I just see it causing more problems than it solves.

But I agree, nobody likes to see the Canard/Bogle situations and it does get hairy on the first lap. I don't have the answer.
Kenny Lingus
2/16/2018 7:44am Edited Date/Time 2/16/2018 7:47am
kkawboy14 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
I think I agree with you there. Also, looking at the right side of that lane (as the riders hit it), it wouldn't shock me a...

I would like to see some actual data on how effective tuff blocks really are because I'm not sure I agree that they save more than they cause.

I agree that some of their purpose is to knock down a bike that is out of control. If they were really just a safety device shouldn't they be bigger? I think there are better ways and don't fall for the they are better than hay bales or wood stakes argument to not progress.
MXMattii
2/16/2018 9:15am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Sully wrote:
Hard point to argue. Imagine what would have happened to Mookie in Oakland if he'd have landed on an old school hay bale instead of a...
Hard point to argue. Imagine what would have happened to Mookie in Oakland if he'd have landed on an old school hay bale instead of a soft modern Tuff Block...
That was at a rhythm section not a triple. A option to ride around the last jump jump of the triple when you came short, when you doubled seems like a legit option. But talking about and thinking about options is a great way to try to find a good solution.
TJ 755
2/16/2018 9:23am
Its a no brainer. This is a logical idea that has been floated before most recently last Monday on pulp.
Feld need to try it and hopefully implement
2/16/2018 9:26am
If you just pretend the hump in the middle isn't there, then it's basically just a big double. Just think of them that way - big doubles with an imaginary hump in the middle. See how easy that is?
Question
2/16/2018 9:46am Edited Date/Time 2/16/2018 9:47am
lumpy790 wrote:
Make a Joker lane for doubling.
A cool idea ! That makes the triple mandatory, if doubling then joker lane. It is another challenge to place it well on the track but it would be fun to see if it doesn't lose more than a couple seconds max.
Mia
2/16/2018 10:33am
Single table makes it more dangerous, believe it or not. We tested with it during race situations. Guys will inside roll table top or just double and dive across table. Guys that momentum wide and triple get guys driving underneath them while there in the air.

Get rid of tough blocks they hurt more people than the help.

Post a reply to: Safety idea about triple jumps.

The Latest