Safety

AZRider
2/20/2020 6:10am
So by your rationale, all bicyclists should wear body armor as well. They could take a pedal to the neck or handlebar to the spine. And if they are on the road, then they need to be protected from fence posts, street signs, cars, etc.

Life is dangerous, choose your risk of choice and go. You can't eliminate every risk. Some people are more risk averse than others. I would contend that most people who are highly risk averse are not riding motorcycles at all. Some of us (not me) are happy wearing no protective gear at all and will do things that seem ridiculous. Majority of us fall somewhere in between. I sure don't want people regulating what I have to wear beyond what is reasonable and not movement prohibitive.

As an American, I consider regulations to be a step toward limiting my freedoms whether it comes to guns, what I eat, drink, or what I choose to do with my spare time. I generally fall in the middle on most issues, but I believe in the people being able to make their own choices as long as it doesn't negatively impact me.

I do however feel that people should not be able to ride unless they can prove they have medical insurance or enough money to self insure themselves so that my tax dollars don't have to be spent keeping them on a ventilator for the rest of their life because they chose poorly.
early
Fantasy
2231st
2/20/2020 6:11am
https://youtu.be/0J2jZHSE4dU A version of this that inflates when the riders body becomes parallel with the ground (feet over head) would seemingly be very helpful in a...
https://youtu.be/0J2jZHSE4dU

A version of this that inflates when the riders body becomes parallel with the ground (feet over head) would seemingly be very helpful in a spinal type injury where the rider ejects head first into the ground/another jump

I’ve been saying that we need a version of this implemented for 4 years now.
Been around for a little while in roadracing.
https://youtu.be/xWRfcFmSrHE
arunkxf
2/20/2020 8:04am
O&GDriller wrote:
NOT trying to start a territorial urination contest but fewer Pro's are wearing knee braces UNLESS they're sponsored/paid by the manufacturer to wear them. There's never...
NOT trying to start a territorial urination contest but fewer Pro's are wearing knee braces UNLESS they're sponsored/paid by the manufacturer to wear them. There's never been a definitive, unbiased, SX/MX specific technical study done to determine if the actually provide additional protection. Now I realize a good number of riders and Pros wear knee braces that aren't sponsored but their popularity is waning.

A recent unbiased, technical study was posted on Vital just the last week or so that analyzed the benefits, or lack thereof, of knee braces on NFL players. NFL lineman knee injuries are quite often very similar in nature to SX/MX injuries. The NFL study showed the knee braces were ineffective in reducing injury. Basically snake oil...

Knee braces are going the way of neck braces which have also been determined to me ineffective in preventing or reducing injury.

REMEMBER, I'm just sharing what I read. Regardless, I realize this is Vital so I've just donned my flame suit which will offer emotional protection to the onslaught I think is headed my way.
arunkxf wrote:
Interesting that, now thinking about it. There needs to be more research in this. With technology nowadays companies should be able to produce backing/ support for...
Interesting that, now thinking about it.

There needs to be more research in this. With technology nowadays companies should be able to produce backing/ support for the products.
I didn’t wear knee braces until I blew out my knees. With knee braces I (probably) wouldn’t have blown my knees. I definitely would have less...
I didn’t wear knee braces until I blew out my knees. With knee braces I (probably) wouldn’t have blown my knees. I definitely would have less shoulder injuries If I wore body armour with shoulder cups. Please keep this discussion going.
To be honest, I would never go on track without my neck brace or knee braces. It just doesn't feel right.

I play cricket too (Not sure if anyone knows what that is on here) but i would never go out without my helmet either
arunkxf
2/20/2020 8:06am
AZRider wrote:
So by your rationale, all bicyclists should wear body armor as well. They could take a pedal to the neck or handlebar to the spine. And...
So by your rationale, all bicyclists should wear body armor as well. They could take a pedal to the neck or handlebar to the spine. And if they are on the road, then they need to be protected from fence posts, street signs, cars, etc.

Life is dangerous, choose your risk of choice and go. You can't eliminate every risk. Some people are more risk averse than others. I would contend that most people who are highly risk averse are not riding motorcycles at all. Some of us (not me) are happy wearing no protective gear at all and will do things that seem ridiculous. Majority of us fall somewhere in between. I sure don't want people regulating what I have to wear beyond what is reasonable and not movement prohibitive.

As an American, I consider regulations to be a step toward limiting my freedoms whether it comes to guns, what I eat, drink, or what I choose to do with my spare time. I generally fall in the middle on most issues, but I believe in the people being able to make their own choices as long as it doesn't negatively impact me.

I do however feel that people should not be able to ride unless they can prove they have medical insurance or enough money to self insure themselves so that my tax dollars don't have to be spent keeping them on a ventilator for the rest of their life because they chose poorly.
''You can't eliminate every risk''

But you can reduce the risk

The Shop

The_Major
2/20/2020 8:29am
gt80rider wrote:
We still don't mandate goggles, LOL, like our sport cares about safety... And ya, a gate filled with razor sharp pegs is like the worst idea...
We still don't mandate goggles, LOL, like our sport cares about safety...

And ya, a gate filled with razor sharp pegs is like the worst idea ever too....

Without sharp pegs, your feet slide off the pegs way more often. Bringing about a higher frequency of possible accidents, compared to the one in a million, getting impaled one.

Everything in this world has a death factor. It's up to you, not anyone else, what you're willing to "risk" your life with. I'm recovering from a c-4 break that could've made me a quad, paralyzed or on life support. And those are the usual best case scenarios. I'm lucky I'm not any one of those things. But what I can tell you, even though it was the scariest moment of my life to be paralyzed for some time, I'm itching to get back up and on my bike ASAP! Why? Cuz I love it! Life's too damn short to not enjoy every moment and aspect of life. If you can't wrap your head around that, you're in the wrong sport. Hell you're not even living..
The_Major
2/20/2020 8:57am
"I do however feel that people should not be able to ride unless they can prove they have medical insurance or enough money to self insure themselves so that my tax dollars don't have to be spent keeping them on a ventilator for the rest of their life because they chose poorly."

That's one of the most ignorant statements ever. Because of insurance lobbying and buying out politicians, to force Heath care on everyone, no one should be able to do what they love, because of their lack of, by your standards, significant funding? You're no better than the double standard politicians who've sold out our country. RULES FOR THEE, NOT FOR ME. BTW, the only people not contributing to the health care bs, are illegals and people who don't work. Which neither, are really a large portion of the Motocross industry. And people like you are what give the industry, especially the racing scene, the idea that everyone is uptight, rich, arrogant pricks, who have been given more than they have ever worked for. Way to keep that stereo type going!

I'm going to finalize this by asking you a question. Should people only be allowed to drive their car, only if they can cover a 40 car pile up and everyone involved, medical bills?

Post a reply to: Safety

The Latest