SXF 350 2017 -- loose crankshaft bolt

I would like your opinions on my experience as a 2017 KTM SXF 350 owner. 82 hours of non-abusive use. Vet ride.

Last heat of the season: loud noise coming from the engine head. Total panic. I inquire: we think it is the tensioner of the timing chain.

I decide to do a full top end job. I take the opportunity to spoil myself and pimp the bike. So, the mechanic calls me to tell me that he came across something very strange. The crankshaft bolt is loose. This damaged the clutch cover.

The mechanic is investigating and it looks like this is a known issue from the model year and even documented in the MXA review.

https://motocrossactionmag.com/motocross-scuttlebutt/

My dealer who sold me the bike never communicated a technical bulletin. No reminder.

So what do I think about that ? I ask to the dealer to expose the situation to KTM Canada...

|
Tim507
3/4/2021 4:19pm
Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained - Nothing Gained Nothing Lost
MX369
3/4/2021 5:36pm
my local husky dealer doesnt know about the chain recall yet!
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
3/4/2021 5:58pm
Is there an actual recall or bulletin? What years are affected?
Bennett59
3/4/2021 8:54pm
I would just be glad it didn’t destroy your bike, I know of a new 21 kx250f that the clutch basket bolt backed out and wore into clutch cover and killed the bike at 19 hours. I know the 16 350 there was some that had some bolts that back out on motor.

The Shop

Mayo513
3/5/2021 7:15am
If you have it a part, make sure to replace the oil pump idler gear now!
RockyRider
Fantasy
3372nd
3/5/2021 12:00pm
Like Tim507 said, nothing gained nothing lost. Loctite it back on to the correct torque and go on with your rebuild. Throw an aluminum oil pump gear in there and a manual timing chain tensioner and call it a day. Could've been bad but it wasnt, be happy.
Mayo513
3/5/2021 12:48pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2021 12:48pm
RockyRider wrote:
Like Tim507 said, nothing gained nothing lost. Loctite it back on to the correct torque and go on with your rebuild. Throw an aluminum oil pump...
Like Tim507 said, nothing gained nothing lost. Loctite it back on to the correct torque and go on with your rebuild. Throw an aluminum oil pump gear in there and a manual timing chain tensioner and call it a day. Could've been bad but it wasnt, be happy.
Any leads on an aluminum oil pump gear? I could only find the update factory part, That thing caused a shit ton of damage.
2/18/2022 2:49pm
My buddy had the same issue this month on his 18 350sxf, weird sound only when starting so we tightened bolt and he was good to go. Replaced idler oil gears as well, updated ones.
RaceFace58
2/18/2022 4:17pm
I’m surprised anyone wouldn’t have knowledge of every known bug regarding the bike they race. Clearly this isn’t an unkown issue as you show in an MXA blurb. My experience is Tech Bulletins need to be found. If it’s a recall it would come from the manufacturer not dealer though I’ve never experienced recalls on a dirt bike. So this bike went 82 hours without that cover being off? It would be nice if you heard something from the dealer but I don’t think it’s odd you didn’t. I’d actually be surprised if you had. They should!
Robbirob25
2/19/2022 6:53am
"If it’s a recall it would come from the manufacturer not dealer though I’ve never experienced recalls on a dirt bike. So this bike went 82 hours without that cover being off? It would be nice if you heard something from the dealer but I don’t think it’s odd you didn’t."

Like RaceFace58 said... Tech bulletins are not recalls. Recalls come from the manufacturer. Not the dealer. Anything that requires 100% is recalled. Tech Bulletins basically are for Service Departments, that are reviewed when bikes are in for repairs. When i was a Honda Dealer, we would run a VIN when a bike came in for any service, such as an oil change and see if any recalls or bulletins were within the system for that particular bike. But to try and contact on all bulletins on all bikes would be a full time job. If a part is absolutely going to fail across the board? That would fall under a recall, and that is handled by the manufacturer...

Robbi
2/21/2022 2:31pm
i have a 22 Ktm 350sxf that i ran into a countershaft bearing failure, at 22 hrs

when i opened engine it sure was built with very minimal gasket sealant, not that thats a bad thing but it did cause leaks very early into its life, everything has been repaired since then but,,,,,,,,,,,

Post a reply to: SXF 350 2017 -- loose crankshaft bolt

The Latest