SX track dirt and injuries

block75
After Roczen's big crash last week and going off a lot off big crashes and some major injuries over the last few years in SX, is it time to look at some new dirt? As far as I am aware (which I could be wrong and then my point is invalid) they continue to use the same dirt year after year in each seperate city and store it till the following year, having worked in and around quarries for most of my working life I know that over time and having the dirt shaped, ripped, riding/driven on, moved around, rolled, watered etc it will break down from a typically loamy style material to a lot finer material. Not saying the every track is like this but is it possible that this is starting to get to the point where they they need to introduce new dirt. The tracks these days don't seem to hold up as well and are a lot more rutted which could be explained in part by the dirt breaking down which can be a big issue with the faces of the jumps cupping out where they can become somewhat dangerous.
|
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
1/27/2017 10:58pm
The dirt isn't used enough to be "worn out". The first 3 races of this year had major rain events that caused the tracks to be built quickly and tarped, the inconsistent water (muddy bottoms, dry jumps) made the tracks break down funny.

A normal So Cal practice track is prepped daily and the dirt doesn't get worn out. Yea sections can get silty, but you mix in water and turn the soil and it comes back around.

But Feld does replace the dirt from time to time. San Diego got new dirt a couple years ago. Dallas got new dirt 2 or so years ago and it was still similar.
1/28/2017 1:35am
I don't think the dirt is the variable in the equation causing issues.... it's the dirtbike
RG1
1/28/2017 2:57am
The dirt itself is fine, I do think they could do better with the track design to make it less extreme without making it any easier or hurting the racing

Post a reply to: SX track dirt and injuries

The Latest