SX throw out your 2 worst finishes?

Superdave19
1/15/2018 8:33pm
With due respect, hell no. Every race is of the utmost importance.. Anything less, is, as quoted in Pulp Fiction, “an exercise in futility”

The Shop

1/16/2018 4:59am
Two pages in and not one person agrees with you. I think you're on your own with this one bro..

If Tomac misses A2 this weekend, will you be rooting for a 'drop three rounds' championship this time next week?
Donovan759
1/16/2018 5:05am
No way.. How many championships would have been handed to the guy who didn't deserve it in the past if that was a rule? I'd venture to say there would be a few big ones.
Flip109
1/16/2018 6:16am
No more champion. Hurts peoples feelings if their person doesn’t get it. We are sensitive creatures and must get the utmost individual respect. Everyone is a champ now! If you compete, you get a prize and a swift swat on the ass! And if you don’t compete we will give you one anyway just Incase! Good job everyone!
tprice07
1/16/2018 6:23am
It was tossed around a lot in the past, and seems like a really appropriate subject right now. If I was Feld I'd throw the change...

It was tossed around a lot in the past, and seems like a really appropriate subject right now. If I was Feld I'd throw the change in right now, it's the same for everyone. Just re designing promotional material that has all the wrong riders in it would cost a bunch. It wouldn't have solved KR94's problem, and it might not help this year if the injuries turn out to be too severe, but in this sport that eats it's young, it would seem to have a place. The Championships would be closer, and seasons wouldn't always be over.
I was pushing for one drop round...or why not make those triple crown races count for 3 individual races.

Give it a few more rounds when a few more top riders drop out and we are left with one good guy...then maybe people will be on board.
MPJC
Fantasy
592nd
1/16/2018 6:29am
It's strangely ironic that so many people are rejecting the idea by saying things like "pussyfication" and "participation trophies" when those things indicate an aversion to competition, and the OP is trying to suggest a way to make the series MORE competitive (i.e. give extra incentive to riders who would otherwise have little incentive to compete). That being said, I'm not crazy about the idea.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
1/16/2018 6:39am
Two pages in and not one person agrees with you. I think you're on your own with this one bro.. If Tomac misses A2 this weekend...
Two pages in and not one person agrees with you. I think you're on your own with this one bro..

If Tomac misses A2 this weekend, will you be rooting for a 'drop three rounds' championship this time next week?
Might as well put the title on hold until everyone's back and then resume the championship.

Or maybe turn it into an eSports championship.

Or have holograms go around the track.

Or...
kaptkaos
1/16/2018 6:40am
I have been a proponent of dropping one result. Been saying this for years. This allows a rider with a non-season ending injury to have a chance to recover and get back into it. It also helps prevent a mechanical from deciding the title.

If we arent going to allow a drop, then we should have a true manufacturers (or team) championship that counts for something.

Right now, Eli gets a hangnail and the bike sits and the team doesnt care and we as fans suffer. If the Team Title had some merit and was relevant they would hire a rider and put him on the bike.
SigPig
1/16/2018 6:53am
Guy like Dungey forced to throw away a 3rd and a 3rd......
kaptkaos
1/16/2018 6:58am
We are just going to have to adjust to the post-Dungey era.
aees
1/16/2018 7:34am
I like it. There is many external factors in supercross, such as start crashes and bike problems, rocks hitting stuffs. Would be more of interest if you could drop 2 results. Also would keep the title hunt alive longer.
Johnny Depp
1/16/2018 7:38am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 7:42am
DPR250R wrote:
Mid season... no. So... with the current super amazing points system we have, that I am sure some math major came up with after running through...
Mid season... no.

So... with the current super amazing points system we have, that I am sure some math major came up with after running through many different scenarios, we are lucky enough to go in to a meaningless Vegas the majority of the time. So with some throw away rounds you could have someone sit out the last couple rounds and still bring in the championship.

So I would say... just adding throw away rounds... no. It's not enough.
You are right, it's not enough. Perhaps the last 3 races could not be thrown out. 1 year out of the last 11 we have a close finish and everyone is happy with that? Dozens of riders on the injured list that sit out the rest of the season and that is OK too? Tomac has no chance other than to play road blocker to try to win the title last year and that is good for the sport?

Does the tortoise or the hare win the race? Do you want riders to lay up on speed so as not to ever crash and be consistent enough to amass the most points, or let her rip and win the most races knowing that the risk is higher of a win or crash trying? I may have misunderstood and thought that this was an extreme sport, not a calculated one.

Perhaps Tomac should have been champ last year, and Bradshaw too over Stanton? And MC champ on the Suzuki?
Ted722
1/16/2018 7:52am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 7:54am
Or McGrath over Emig. Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Bob says throw out 200..cc's that is.. I tend to agree. I like the works 250 idea with the support class on stock 250's (2 and 4 stroke).
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
1/16/2018 8:02am
I thank God every day that someone who hates racing as much as Johnny Depp does - is not in charge of anything to do with supercross or motocross racing...

Johnny, you got some whacky ass ideas!
No semis, no lcq's, dropped scores and only seeing the top 10 riders on the track is all you are interested in. All less racing than we currently have.

I honestly think you should leave.

ML512
Fantasy
54th
1/16/2018 8:14am
Per my response to 99% of your threads, NO...
kkawboy14
1/16/2018 8:23am
ML512 wrote:
Per my response to 99% of your threads, NO...
So he’s getting it right 1% of the time? Well he’s doing better than me! Smile
BobbyM
1/16/2018 8:25am
It was tossed around a lot in the past, and seems like a really appropriate subject right now. If I was Feld I'd throw the change...

It was tossed around a lot in the past, and seems like a really appropriate subject right now. If I was Feld I'd throw the change in right now, it's the same for everyone. Just re designing promotional material that has all the wrong riders in it would cost a bunch. It wouldn't have solved KR94's problem, and it might not help this year if the injuries turn out to be too severe, but in this sport that eats it's young, it would seem to have a place. The Championships would be closer, and seasons wouldn't always be over.
A redo? A do over? In supercross? Yer rider crash? Yer serious?
BobbyM
1/16/2018 8:29am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
No. NHL doesn't drop games in order for a team to make the playoffs so they have a chance at the cup. PGA doesn't drop a...
No. NHL doesn't drop games in order for a team to make the playoffs so they have a chance at the cup. PGA doesn't drop a round so you finish higher up in the standings. F1 doesn't drop a round because some drivers have crashes or have mechanical issues.

Shit happens, deal with it. Crashes, mechanicals, health, etc. all play a role in a championship. The best man/team wins it's that simple.
They all make the playoffs damn near.
mauidex
1/16/2018 8:44am
tprice07 wrote:
I was pushing for one drop round...or why not make those triple crown races count for 3 individual races. Give it a few more rounds when...
I was pushing for one drop round...or why not make those triple crown races count for 3 individual races.

Give it a few more rounds when a few more top riders drop out and we are left with one good guy...then maybe people will be on board.
I think that absolutely they should have made each of those 3 "mains" a points paying race and even some bonus points to top ten overall or even a whole other 25.

They keep pushing this whole more points to the middle agenda so that would have tightened things up considerably more than likely for the usual 5-10 place guys. Would have made a DNF less devastating. I think the whole idea was to keep it as tight and as exciting as possible down to Vegas.
McDuff
1/16/2018 9:02am
How about an award for the snazziest outfit.
TDeath21
1/16/2018 9:11am
downard254 wrote:
Hell, may as well throw out 16 of them and just make the last one count. Well, unless one of the top dogs are injured for...
Hell, may as well throw out 16 of them and just make the last one count. Well, unless one of the top dogs are injured for the last round in which case we could pic the one race that counted. Oh wait, even better. Only races that are run when everyone is healthy count toward the title.
Personally, not that I want things to happen like they have, but I have a raised Spock eyebrow as to how the season will go now. I think I’m even more stoked to watch the series, only because I think we could have multiple winners and a tighter points chase.
Haven’t watched NASCAR even once since they went to basically the same format you described. You can win every race and finish second in the last one and lose the championship. WTF?
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
1/16/2018 9:24am
I'm definitely not for changing the rules mid-season.

BUT...

Yes, our sport needs something like this. It's not the "pussyfication" of our sport, it's realizing that the stakes are greater now. Go back and watch a race from the 80s that were so manly and tough and watch how slow they are going through the technical sections. A mistake back then wouldn't automatically put you out of the championship race. Now, the consequence of a mistake is often injury.

I would love to see this rule for 2 reasons:

1. it would diminish the consequence of a mistake, thus allowing racers to actually race without so much concern for not making a "big" mistake. So many of you same guys complained that Dungey would never go all out, that he held back. Well, hell, that's what the rules reward.
2. it would keep riders from rushing back too soon after injury, especially head injuries. If a guy is in the championship hunt right now and gets a concussion during practice, do you really think he's going to play it safe and stay home? Hell no. That will put him and the other riders in more danger.

The fact is, even throwing out the worst 2, the best guys will still rise to the top.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
1/16/2018 9:29am
MPJC wrote:
It's strangely ironic that so many people are rejecting the idea by saying things like "pussyfication" and "participation trophies" when those things indicate an aversion to...
It's strangely ironic that so many people are rejecting the idea by saying things like "pussyfication" and "participation trophies" when those things indicate an aversion to competition, and the OP is trying to suggest a way to make the series MORE competitive (i.e. give extra incentive to riders who would otherwise have little incentive to compete). That being said, I'm not crazy about the idea.
Same people that said Dungey deserved an asterisk next to his championships when Poto wasn't there...

Johnny Depp
1/16/2018 10:41am
MPJC wrote:
It's strangely ironic that so many people are rejecting the idea by saying things like "pussyfication" and "participation trophies" when those things indicate an aversion to...
TriRacer27 wrote:
Same people that said Dungey deserved an asterisk next to his championships when Poto wasn't there...

Everyone is fine with a 250 class, and even split it into East and West, and I'm the one into participation trophies?
Mit12
1/16/2018 11:13am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 11:16am
Really???????????
Why not let the fans pick the Champion?
BobbyM
1/16/2018 11:13am
Wait a sec.. This could work Johnny Depp.
1. You must at least race every event. No staying home and mailing it in.
2 this rule ends 3 rounds from the final.
3 Dungey would have smoked these guys, all these guys this year.

Post a reply to: SX throw out your 2 worst finishes?

The Latest