SX throw out your 2 worst finishes?

1/16/2018 11:19am
BobbyM wrote:
Wait a sec.. This could work Johnny Depp. 1. You must at least race every event. No staying home and mailing it in. 2 this rule...
Wait a sec.. This could work Johnny Depp.
1. You must at least race every event. No staying home and mailing it in.
2 this rule ends 3 rounds from the final.
3 Dungey would have smoked these guys, all these guys this year.
To be fair to Jason Anderson, Dungey's best start to a season results wise was a second and a first (which I believe he did twice in his career, 2010 and 2016). Those are the same as Jason's results so far, so to say he would be smoking them all isn't really fair IMO.
DPR250R
1/16/2018 11:38am
BobbyM wrote:
Wait a sec.. This could work Johnny Depp. 1. You must at least race every event. No staying home and mailing it in. 2 this rule...
Beat them over a long marathon season with consistency, yes I think RD would still beat this current field.

When someone says “smoke” them I think of raw speed. Sorry but the Diesel does not some to mind.
Johnny Depp
1/16/2018 11:47am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 11:48am
BobbyM wrote:
1. The whole point is to provide for injuries, how could they race?
2. Agreed. (the final 3 could be the triple crown?)
3. I believe we would have seen a more aggressive Dungey if he knew he had 2 throw away's.

Thanks for having an open mind. I assume that a forum is for an open exchange of ideas.
jonesaustin
1/16/2018 12:28pm
With so many uncertainties that disrupt the actual competition on skill, I think it makes great sense to allow 2 races to be dropped. It's an insurance policy for everyone equally. True, maybe you couldn't collect on someone else's misfortune, but that's not how the battle should ultimately be won anyway imo. It's about head to head combat. Can't see one flaw in this concept, it makes perfect sense to me.

The Shop

RangerLee
1/16/2018 12:29pm
It was tossed around a lot in the past, and seems like a really appropriate subject right now. If I was Feld I'd throw the change...

It was tossed around a lot in the past, and seems like a really appropriate subject right now. If I was Feld I'd throw the change in right now, it's the same for everyone. Just re designing promotional material that has all the wrong riders in it would cost a bunch. It wouldn't have solved KR94's problem, and it might not help this year if the injuries turn out to be too severe, but in this sport that eats it's young, it would seem to have a place. The Championships would be closer, and seasons wouldn't always be over.
Last year, they really should have made it a tight race by throwing out the worst 15 races.

If they would have done that, then BAM, KR94 is SX champ. YEAHHHHHH
Johnny Depp
1/16/2018 3:38pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 3:40pm
I appreciate everyone speaking out, and unofficially the count is like 37 against and 11 for (if you don't do but 1 drop and not this year). I wish some would have spoken a bit more about why not rather than just no.

I suspect most feel that the "purity" of competition and the sport are cheapened by only scoring 15 out of 17 races. I'd rather there be 3 scores for each triple crown at the end of the season therefore 2 drops out of 21 events. Any of us on Vital are the most core fans there are, yet we still want to be entertained. Seasons wrapping up long before they are over is a problem that is not going away.
Xavier
1/17/2018 2:08am
With so many uncertainties that disrupt the actual competition on skill, I think it makes great sense to allow 2 races to be dropped. It's an...
With so many uncertainties that disrupt the actual competition on skill, I think it makes great sense to allow 2 races to be dropped. It's an insurance policy for everyone equally. True, maybe you couldn't collect on someone else's misfortune, but that's not how the battle should ultimately be won anyway imo. It's about head to head combat. Can't see one flaw in this concept, it makes perfect sense to me.
Same here.
Especially when the series is 17-races long.
Johnny Depp
1/23/2018 3:57pm
Hmmm, the theory gets a little more interesting now that Tomac is alive. What if Tomac goes on a run like Ralph says?

And save yourself the typing, I am not a Tomac fanboy.

Since the statistics for rider's finishing every race in a season are pretty long odds, and Superstars are hard to come by, and we all want them out there, and we want a close finish, and it would be the same for everyone..

And I was only joking about doing it this year. Kinda.
1/23/2018 8:36pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2018 8:39pm
It was tossed around a lot in the past, and seems like a really appropriate subject right now. If I was Feld I'd throw the change...

It was tossed around a lot in the past, and seems like a really appropriate subject right now. If I was Feld I'd throw the change in right now, it's the same for everyone. Just re designing promotional material that has all the wrong riders in it would cost a bunch. It wouldn't have solved KR94's problem, and it might not help this year if the injuries turn out to be too severe, but in this sport that eats it's young, it would seem to have a place. The Championships would be closer, and seasons wouldn't always be over.
I'm not convinced everyone understands this topic, so lemme say two things first:

1. I'm not entirely opposed to the idea (which isn't new).

2. That said, you're not characterizing how this kinda system actually works.

Technically, it's not a matter of "dropping low scores." It's a matter of how many scores a rider can keep. Not the same thing. In your example, with a 17-event season, it would mean a rider could keep his 15 best scores. But someone who missed two races -- which Tomac has already -- wouldn't drop anything. See the difference? Precision is important.

This used to be the norm in the works-bike glory days of the FIM World Championship, in Decoster's era. If I recall correctly, you could count only half the total motos plus one. That's right, this meant in a season of 12 GPs (24 motos), you could only count your best 13 finishes. Why so? ...

1. It accounted for equipment failures, which were rampant in those days. It was a rider's championship, after all, and guys used to seize engines while holding a 30-second lead. (The really astute will remember Decoster's rear suspension breaking in the second moto at Carlsbad in 1973 when he had already won the first moto and was running away with the second.)

2. It accounted for crazy crashes that were no fault of the top riders but knocked them out anyway. Remember, motocross is like no other sport we know -- they have rank amateurs out there.

3. It accounted for the fact that not all riders could make it to every race. Travel and budgets were an even bigger deal back then.

Formula 1 did the same thing until the 1990 season. In 1988 Prost outscored Senna 105-94 in total, but because only the best 11 results (of 16) counted, Senna won the championship over Prost 90-87. No one cried foul; and everyone knew Senna had been taken out of the lead by a back-marker at Monza -- nine points down the drain to no fault of his.

So how might this apply to Supercross? It would mostly mitigate the effects of crashes (particularly start crashes) and injuries. Bikes are infinitely more reliable than in 1973, but the circuits and speeds are brutal now, and injuries are expected, not rarities.

Bottom line: I understand why people summarily reject the idea, but it's not as crazy as it might sound offhand.

Katoomey
1/23/2018 11:05pm
With so many uncertainties that disrupt the actual competition on skill, I think it makes great sense to allow 2 races to be dropped. It's an...
Xavier wrote:
Same here.
Especially when the series is 17-races long.
Skill? misfortune? which is it? was it Dungey's skill that made him so consistent? or was it his lack of misfortune?
you can't have it both ways...unless you are talking about meteors falling from the sky and taking riders out.

motorsports is first and foremost a competition of machinery, not men. The whole entire point of motorsports is to prove the performance and durability of the machines. If this was just a talent show the factories would have packed up and went home long ago.

to remove mechanical failures from motorsports is to remove it's soul.

Post a reply to: SX throw out your 2 worst finishes?

The Latest