SX Rebound Settings

mx617
It's pretty well established how SX suspension is way stiffer than outdoor. I never see any mention though of how rebound settings would differ.

My guess is there would be less rebound damping to provide more 'pop' off the jumps, but part of me thinks that may be counterproductive as you want to stay low off the jumps.

Also curious if the shock/fork would have different changes/setups.

Anyone have insight to how rebound settings are in SX?
|
2/16/2021 11:53am
It think they need a dead shock in the whoops. Also, the higher the spring rate the more rebound damping you need.
d394
2/16/2021 12:01pm
rebound dead as road kill
2/16/2021 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2021 12:05pm
mx617 wrote:
It's pretty well established how SX suspension is way stiffer than outdoor. I never see any mention though of how rebound settings would differ. My guess...
It's pretty well established how SX suspension is way stiffer than outdoor. I never see any mention though of how rebound settings would differ.

My guess is there would be less rebound damping to provide more 'pop' off the jumps, but part of me thinks that may be counterproductive as you want to stay low off the jumps.

Also curious if the shock/fork would have different changes/setups.

Anyone have insight to how rebound settings are in SX?
It has been reported most Supercross riders like an exceedingly "dead" feel, something that spins American riders in circles versus their GP counterparts with regard to setup/tecnique for outdoors.
aees
2/16/2021 12:04pm
Since they turn of the old Trax feature, i think rebound is pretty normal. Adapted to spring rate. Might be slower rebound since they run stiffer springs.

The Shop

2/16/2021 12:13pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2021 12:19pm
aees wrote:
Since they turn of the old Trax feature, i think rebound is pretty normal. Adapted to spring rate. Might be slower rebound since they run stiffer...
Since they turn of the old Trax feature, i think rebound is pretty normal. Adapted to spring rate. Might be slower rebound since they run stiffer springs.
That just confirms they may want it universally "dead", since Trax is built to make it situationally less restrictive. It doesn't really state anything to the level of deadness they are running.

It seems like the whole SX chassis is often largely focused on the obstacle of the whoops at the expense of other setup, since whoops are so demanding.
crt32
2/16/2021 12:17pm
On this note; if you are racing arenacross or supercross (i know not likely) on stock suspension, what are the best settings? All the way in on Compression and Rebound Dampening?
aees
2/16/2021 12:32pm
aees wrote:
Since they turn of the old Trax feature, i think rebound is pretty normal. Adapted to spring rate. Might be slower rebound since they run stiffer...
That just confirms they may want it universally "dead", since Trax is built to make it situationally less restrictive. It doesn't really state anything to the...
That just confirms they may want it universally "dead", since Trax is built to make it situationally less restrictive. It doesn't really state anything to the level of deadness they are running.

It seems like the whole SX chassis is often largely focused on the obstacle of the whoops at the expense of other setup, since whoops are so demanding.
Benefit with Trax, is that you can run a pretty slow rebound since you dont have to valve/adjust rebound for scenarios where wheel is of the ground and needs to get back quickly. You automatically have a very fast rebound on those items so you can have a slower rebound when the wheel is on the ground. That leads to better traction for example.

I love the Trax function. Pro that i know that have ridden with it, cant ride without it since the suspension will with just normal rebound, feel very dead. I agree on that.

So if they dont ride with Trax on, i think that is an indication of a pretty normal rebound. Otherwise, just turn trax on if you want it to act faster without the downside of overall fast rebound (poor traction for example).

Just a thought in general the above.
aees
2/16/2021 12:34pm
crt32 wrote:
On this note; if you are racing arenacross or supercross (i know not likely) on stock suspension, what are the best settings? All the way in...
On this note; if you are racing arenacross or supercross (i know not likely) on stock suspension, what are the best settings? All the way in on Compression and Rebound Dampening?
Friend of mine typically just turn the compression pretty much all the way in (so you get kind of a hydraulic stop) when he goes between MX and SX using MX suspension. Rebound is left as is.
2/16/2021 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2021 12:35pm
aees wrote:
That just confirms they may want it universally "dead", since Trax is built to make it situationally less restrictive. It doesn't really state anything to the...

aees wrote:
Benefit with Trax, is that you can run a pretty slow rebound since you dont have to valve/adjust rebound for scenarios where wheel is of the...
Benefit with Trax, is that you can run a pretty slow rebound since you dont have to valve/adjust rebound for scenarios where wheel is of the ground and needs to get back quickly. You automatically have a very fast rebound on those items so you can have a slower rebound when the wheel is on the ground. That leads to better traction for example.

I love the Trax function. Pro that i know that have ridden with it, cant ride without it since the suspension will with just normal rebound, feel very dead. I agree on that.

So if they dont ride with Trax on, i think that is an indication of a pretty normal rebound. Otherwise, just turn trax on if you want it to act faster without the downside of overall fast rebound (poor traction for example).

Just a thought in general the above.
I suspect it is pretty far past "normal rebound" toward really restrictive on both compression and rebound for many SX riders (even with high spring rates).
Bruce372
2/16/2021 1:06pm
Don't forget, the rebound clicker also effects compression damping
mx617
2/16/2021 1:24pm
Interesting, thanks guys. Consensus seems to be higher rebound damping, not what I expected. Appreciate the insight.

Post a reply to: SX Rebound Settings

The Latest