SX/MX mechanic salary?

layinbody31
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:35am
I may have an opportunity to get into the industry as a mechanic, but I need to know if it is something that I can support my family and make a living doing. Any ideas what kind of range a salary would be for a mechanic?

Obviously a new hire for a privateer is going to make a lot less than somebody like Mike Gosselar, but what kind of range are we talking? This would obviously be a dream job for me, but I can't take it if it means putting my family in financial despair

Maybe Matthes would like to chime in? Smile

Thanks in advance guys
|
jndmx
12/2/2011 9:59am Edited Date/Time 12/2/2011 10:46am
I don't have any figures to give you maybe someone else can.

I do know this topic has been discussed before and the general opinion is that you better want to do it for the love of the sport not the money.

If you're young and have little responsibilty or bills to pay then now is the time to do it.
Either way man just have fun with it.....you never know where it will lead you.
bradmx421
12/2/2011 10:03am
20k and up....some even less, its all about the love.

Depends on your dutys and respnsabilitys, there is anything form glorified parts changers to full on race motor builders. u have to have the skills, to get the big bills
Gym Briggs
12/2/2011 10:03am
Based on what people here have stated somewhere in the $30-$40K.
mxb2
12/2/2011 10:05am
Probably enough to buy vaseline lol, jk man i would guess between 30-50k, depends on the boss, benefits are nice if you can get them.

The Shop

layinbody31
12/2/2011 10:08am
jndmx wrote:
I don't have any figures to give you maybe someone else can. I do know this topic has been discussed before and the general opinion is...
I don't have any figures to give you maybe someone else can.

I do know this topic has been discussed before and the general opinion is that you better want to do it for the love of the sport not the money.

If you're young and have little responsibilty or bills to pay then now is the time to do it.
Either way man just have fun with it.....you never know where it will lead you.
Yeah that's the thing... I'm currently employed at an engineering job that I've held for about 2 years, and with a degree in Engineering from Purdue I figured I would be well off. Well needless to say the pay isn't what I wish it would be and I dread going to work every day. To have a job that I would be excited to wake up and go to is priceless to me at this point, because if I'm struggling with not being paid much I might as well be doing something I love.

And I know that in this industry it's all about connections, so if you can make the right ones a guy like me could possibly go from being a mechanic to maybe being an engineer or something with the OEMs or big aftermarket players or something... it's just getting your foot in the door that sucks, since nobody in the industry really puts out job postings or help wanted ads lol

And where I could sacrifice for a year or two while getting my foot in the door knowing that the grass is probably greener on the other side, my wife won't even let me take the risk if there isn't the pay there to go with it Sad
layinbody31
12/2/2011 10:10am
Thanks for the input guys... sadly those numbers aren't far off from what I'm making now with my Big10 engineering degree and 2 years experience Sad But to secure something like that is what is going to be a struggle, although would be the best job I'm likely to ever have Smile
motosmith
12/2/2011 10:10am
Private team, probably 24k.

Gosselar? I'll take a wild guess, 150k.
newmann
12/2/2011 10:11am
Do they want you to relocate? Do they want you to live at their facility? In charge of practice bikes? Race bikes? Cleaning and driving the hauler and setting up at the races where you will be required to attend and work? Preparing meals and grocery shopping? Washing riding gear? Planning travel arrangements? What about.....????? How many hours a week will you actually be providing your services?
MT MX
12/2/2011 10:12am
Back in the early 1990's I thought about going to MMI, but came to my sense's. I thought I really wanted to be motorcycle mechanic, even at a local motorcycle shop. I realized for what they charge for flat shop rate and what you would make would be night and day differences. So, I went to college instead. A few years later and a few years out of college, I was offered a job opportunity being a CNC programmer for a motorcycle performance company in Texas. I declined.
Someone, once told me 'don't try to make your hobby your occupation, because then you won't enjoy your hobby'.
mxnick
12/2/2011 10:14am
Salary aside, you will work 7 days a week, and very long hours.
pete24
12/2/2011 10:19am
in my opinion there are guys who want to be in the "industry" and real industry guys and real industry guys dont think they are indusrty guys its thier life, they have lived it for their whole life and it aint the money its the love of ridding and bikes, if your young and got time then you wont need to break in you will end up there so ask yourself are you a wanna be? or are you really willing to give your life up , it is a good job if you really want to do it
mom241
12/2/2011 10:19am
Not enough. Tough job, hard work. Lots of travel. Psychology degree not required, but would be good.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
2005th
12/2/2011 11:49am
I know a lot of privateer mechanics who still are working real fulltime jobs, and the mechanic part is because they love it. They are lucky to make a bit of extra spending moeny for the long hours they put in.

Just like top riders, there are only a handful of top technician jobs available - if you aren't in one of those spots, you're going to be pretty broke... but if you are young without many bills - go for it. It will also be some of the best times of your life.
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
12/2/2011 11:54am
I would ask the guy who is offering the job what he pays.
dboivin
12/2/2011 12:03pm
i worked for a privateer (top 15) for a few years. $300 week, travel/lodging/food/expenses paid. I also made 10% of his cash earnings. this was 15yrs ago, hehe. hopefully its better nowadays. Smile

its was a lot of work, sometimes high pressure. some of the most memorable years happened during that time tho. usually stayed in hotels and such with the rest of the privateers (deegan, hart, treadwell years)...it got interesting sometimes. Smile
motoracer633
12/2/2011 12:08pm
mom241 wrote:
Not enough. Tough job, hard work. Lots of travel. Psychology degree not required, but would be good.
haha. excellent! youll be babysitter alot of the times. the older the kid the harder. especially when they turn 21!
mom241
12/2/2011 12:39pm Edited Date/Time 12/2/2011 12:40pm
mom241 wrote:
haha. excellent! youll be babysitter alot of the times. the older the kid the harder. especially when they turn 21!
I'm shocked at what your salary is. Must be frustrating after working to earn such a great degree at
an excellent school. Have you thought about pursuing engineering within the industry?

Mechanics are under appreciated (hopefully not by their riders). They really work hard and give lots of moral support. Brent has been with Trey since he was 13--the year after he lost his father. Don't know where he would be without Big B.
CamP
12/2/2011 12:46pm
If you aren't earning $50K right out of school with a Engineering degree, something is very wrong. Sounds like you need to find a head hunter.
Sherwood
12/2/2011 12:47pm
Life on the road is not as easy or fun as many think.
CamP
12/2/2011 12:48pm
Sherwood wrote:
Life on the road is not as easy or fun as many think.
I thought it sucked the entire time I did it.
Sondy132001
12/2/2011 12:49pm
mxnick wrote:
Salary aside, you will work 7 days a week, and very long hours.
And be away from your family !

S
indy_maico
12/2/2011 12:52pm
I may have an opportunity to get into the industry as a mechanic, but I need to know if it is something that I can support...
I may have an opportunity to get into the industry as a mechanic, but I need to know if it is something that I can support my family and make a living doing. Any ideas what kind of range a salary would be for a mechanic?

Obviously a new hire for a privateer is going to make a lot less than somebody like Mike Gosselar, but what kind of range are we talking? This would obviously be a dream job for me, but I can't take it if it means putting my family in financial despair

Thanks in advance guys
You say you want to do this and 'support your family?'

Take it from a guy who has been in the car racing industry for 25 years, if you are going to be hollywooding around the country for a race team, your family life will suffer, your kids won't ever see you, and unless you have a VERY tolerant wife (like I am lucky enough to have), you will probably end up divorced.

It is really the life for a single guy with no one to think of but himself and the team (and not necessarily in that order!)
neysbo
12/2/2011 12:53pm
Could even do it for free for Team Tedder
Sondy132001
12/2/2011 12:58pm Edited Date/Time 12/2/2011 1:18pm
I may have an opportunity to get into the industry as a mechanic, but I need to know if it is something that I can support...

Thanks in advance guys
Like other guys said above...engineer in the industry would be sweet !

http://motorcycleindustryjobs.com/

http://www.malakye.com/asp/front/CMSPage.asp?TYP_ID=4&ID=307

S
layinbody31
12/2/2011 1:04pm
neysbo wrote:
This is actually what this whole thread has been about. I was thinking about applying for the Team Tedder gig and feel I have a good shot at getting it, however having a wife and a 17mo old plus a mortgage it just doesn't seem like something I could realistically do
neysbo
12/2/2011 1:07pm
neysbo wrote:
This is actually what this whole thread has been about. I was thinking about applying for the Team Tedder gig and feel I have a good...
This is actually what this whole thread has been about. I was thinking about applying for the Team Tedder gig and feel I have a good shot at getting it, however having a wife and a 17mo old plus a mortgage it just doesn't seem like something I could realistically do
It would be interesting to really know where the past interns for Tedder ended up, they say they secured jobs in the industry. It does seem Tedder has connections, ability and willingness to groom and let them move on so that may be a good route.
layinbody31
12/2/2011 1:12pm
mom241 wrote:
I'm shocked at what your salary is. Must be frustrating after working to earn such a great degree at an excellent school. Have you thought about...
I'm shocked at what your salary is. Must be frustrating after working to earn such a great degree at
an excellent school. Have you thought about pursuing engineering within the industry?

Mechanics are under appreciated (hopefully not by their riders). They really work hard and give lots of moral support. Brent has been with Trey since he was 13--the year after he lost his father. Don't know where he would be without Big B.
I'm rather shocked at my salary too, and yes it is very frustrating after all the work to earn my degree. I took the job thinking that there would be a large hike in salary after the first year but it never happened. But now I'm in the position where I almost need to stay for the 'time on the job experience' even though the pay is low, because unfortunately companies don't see my value as much higher than someone fresh out of college. And the bad part is that there's just not many jobs in my area, so finding a new one is hard

But like you and others have suggested, I would love to find an engineering job in the field. I just need to get my resume to the right people but finding a way to do that is hard. I figured that if I took the Tedder gig I could plaster my resume all over at the races and find something more along the engineering lines that would pay in the range I need to support my family. Can I send it to you and you get it to some people in the industry?? Smile I'd love to see some of my original designs make their way into the sport such as a VVT camshaft I designed for my Senior Design Project (I can just see Trey riding a TrueVVT Uni-Cam CRF450r right now.... Wink )

Post a reply to: SX/MX mechanic salary?

The Latest