SX/AX finish lines

Related:
Create New Tag

11/4/2018 11:50 AM

So, after seeing that finish line crash in Canada, i thought about the timing/finish line positioning.

When the timing line is in the bottom of the jump, these things are more prone to happen i think, when riders can just charge straight across the corners with no intention of jumping.
Remember that Daytona LCQ when Peick felt that he didnt get the final spot, but the timing line was at the bottom and he actually got fourth?

Or Reeds mud-race finish this year when he finished the race with only half of the jump face cleared?
Is it a pro or a con having the line at the bottom or should it be where the flag is, at the top?

|

11/4/2018 12:03 PM

Yeah, maybe time to change it to end of a straight section.

|

11/4/2018 12:29 PM

They put it at the bottom for reliability reasons. The detection is better when the transponders are closer to the wire, so the bottom of a jump where suspension is compressed is the ideal location.

I don’t have a problem with it as long as the locations is clear. Maybe add cones or something so it’s easy to see.

|

11/4/2018 1:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/4/2018 1:12 PM

Lastander wrote:

So, after seeing that finish line crash in Canada, i thought about the timing/finish line positioning.

When the timing line is in the bottom of the jump, these things are more prone to happen i think, when riders can just charge straight across the corners with no intention of jumping.
Remember that Daytona LCQ when Peick felt that he didnt get the final spot, but the timing line was at the bottom and he actually got fourth?

Or Reeds mud-race finish this year when he finished the race with only half of the jump face cleared?
Is it a pro or a con having the line at the bottom or should it be where the flag is, at the top?

You've got the Daytona stories a little mixed up. AMA changed the rules between those two occasions.

The one with Peick, he thought he didn't make it because the transponder scored Kiniry ahead of him. When he got back to the pits, he found out that he actually got the spot because the actual finish line was at the peak of the jump.

Within the past couple years the AMA switched this rule, so now the transponder line is the actual finish line (hence the Reed finish pushing his bike in the mud and not clearing the peak).

Edit: Peick video for reference.

|

11/4/2018 1:43 PM

It's always buried along the base, every rider should know that, and imo more riders should be tiptoeing around the inside because of it on the final lap.

They don't want to bury it too deep and it easier to put at the base. As well ass the face can get rutted up and the dozers work it so they would have to bury it deeper or risk it getting cut/exposed.

Looks bad to the average fan though when they see someone cross the line first but gets told someone else actually won

|

11/5/2018 4:02 AM

Is this really an issue, really?

|

11/5/2018 4:30 AM

Im fine with the finish line being at the base of the jump as long as it's indicated as such. In the canadian AX incident, there was no clear indication as to where the finish actually was, but there was a rockstar banner that implied finish line. You can say "oh that's just racing, going for the win". No that's just being a douche. I mean if you hurt someone at work just to get the job done, that's not ok, and you're the incompetent idiot that no one wants to work with because you're a hazard.

|

11/5/2018 10:09 AM

JustMX wrote:

Is this really an issue, really?

X10

|

Ed Johnson

11/5/2018 10:32 AM

Spray paint across the transponder line. Simple solution.
Colton would have likely taken the inside if it was visually there for him to see and think about

|

11/5/2018 12:46 PM

There should be a visible line and that is also where the flagger should stand.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

11/5/2018 1:56 PM

Falcon wrote:

Flagger has to be able to see the landing in case of an accident... SMH

|

11/5/2018 2:02 PM

Falcon wrote:

Team MMR wrote:

I think that's pretty obvious, but if that is the case, the transponder reader needs to be moved to the same spot as the flagger. There is no reason to have the reader at the base of the jump and have the flagger at the top. A lot can happen in that 5-10 feet. Perfect example is Peick a few years ago at Daytona and again this weekend in Canada.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

11/5/2018 2:08 PM

Falcon wrote:

Team MMR wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:

I think that's pretty obvious, but if that is the case, the transponder reader needs to be moved to the same spot as the flagger. There is no reason to have the reader at the base of the jump and have the flagger at the top. A lot can happen in that 5-10 feet. Perfect example is Peick a few years ago at Daytona and again this weekend in Canada.

The reasons have already been stated of why it is there.

|

11/5/2018 2:13 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

The transponder loop cannot be in the face of the jump. Jump faces get rutted, you'd have to bury it too deep for the loop to work properly.

Personally I think the way supercross does it is fine. Loop at the base (clearly marked), checkers at the top. Everyone is made aware at riders meeting that the transponder loop that is clearly marked is the official finish line. Case closed.

|

11/5/2018 3:29 PM

Pointless not to have the flagman at the finish line.

Racers race to the flag.

You either allow the referee to make judgment calls in case of a photo finish (as the rulebooks permit), or put the flagger at the base if they insist that is final for scoring purposes.

|

11/5/2018 4:06 PM

Give me a break.

Move the loop even though it is been explained several times why it is where it is?

Move the flagger to the base of the jump because for some reason you guys think it is going to fix a non issue?

These guys are "professional" riders.

The finish line is the same at every freaking round.

Tell them this at the rider meeting every week if they have that much of a problem remembering from week to week.

Holy crap, do they have to reminded to go when the gate drops?

|

11/5/2018 4:27 PM

Sometimes paradigms are hard to break...

|

11/5/2018 5:52 PM

crockett wrote:

Spray paint across the transponder line. Simple solution.
Colton would have likely taken the inside if it was visually there for him to see and think about

Spray paint a line in the dirt ? yep, that will last for one lap. Every one know where the finish line is so its a non issue.

|

Ed Johnson