SX 18 Schedule

10/15/2017 6:57pm
This is old news, but I don't remember it being discussed here or on the moto podcasts that I listen to.

No NY/NJ nor Toronto SX?!?! (Detroit also dumped.) Man, that sucks. I am in the NY/NJ area and have loved this race. And, just started working in Toronto and wanted to plan a work trip around that race. Now they're both gone!?! Wow.

Apologies if I am the last to know.
|
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
10/15/2017 7:54pm
From what I heard.

New Jersey and New England will switch off every other year. To try and help build anticipation for the race in each market, when they had both it cannibilzed attendance from each other since they really weren't that far apart mileage wise. Plus there isn't enough late April (Spring) dates for the Northern venues without domes. Seattle/Salt Lake/New Jersey/New England all have to fight over 2 to 3 weekends depending on when Easter falls.

As for Toronto, they are doing stadium renovations. So it's expected to return when the dates become available.

KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
10/15/2017 7:56pm
Also there was talk of several cities being on a rotational basis. Detroit/Houston/New Orleans/Minneapolis/Tampa/San Francisco being rotated in and out of the schedule until they add more rounds or attract consistent crowds.
10/16/2017 2:48am
Attendance definitely went down. I kinda think moving it to a day show didn't help. But maybe rotating would be good. I guess we'll see.

The Shop

jmx411
10/16/2017 6:03am
From what I heard. New Jersey and New England will switch off every other year. To try and help build anticipation for the race in each...
From what I heard.

New Jersey and New England will switch off every other year. To try and help build anticipation for the race in each market, when they had both it cannibilzed attendance from each other since they really weren't that far apart mileage wise. Plus there isn't enough late April (Spring) dates for the Northern venues without domes. Seattle/Salt Lake/New Jersey/New England all have to fight over 2 to 3 weekends depending on when Easter falls.

As for Toronto, they are doing stadium renovations. So it's expected to return when the dates become available.

I thought Toronto was adding a grass field for the Blue Jays and any events like Supercross will not return there anymore??
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
10/16/2017 6:57am
From what I heard. New Jersey and New England will switch off every other year. To try and help build anticipation for the race in each...
From what I heard.

jmx411 wrote:
I thought Toronto was adding a grass field for the Blue Jays and any events like Supercross will not return there anymore??
Pretty sure Toronto has to do with logistics. Teams having a hard time at the border, having to rent smaller trucks to pull the trailer because it's a PITA to navigate the city with their usual rigs, etc.

I believe putting real grass at the stadium was on the table but it takes a whole lot of effort, engineering and money in order to get that done and I think because of that the plans were shelved and it's not going to happen.

The attendance at the Toronto round was good so I know it doesn't have anything to do with that.
10/16/2017 7:22am
From what I heard.

Thats a good idea.
kevin204
Fantasy
3416th
10/16/2017 7:47am
From what I heard.

jmx411 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Pretty sure Toronto has to do with logistics. Teams having a hard time at the border, having to rent smaller trucks to pull the trailer because...
Pretty sure Toronto has to do with logistics. Teams having a hard time at the border, having to rent smaller trucks to pull the trailer because it's a PITA to navigate the city with their usual rigs, etc.

I believe putting real grass at the stadium was on the table but it takes a whole lot of effort, engineering and money in order to get that done and I think because of that the plans were shelved and it's not going to happen.

The attendance at the Toronto round was good so I know it doesn't have anything to do with that.
I think the grass idea has been shelved, but there will be a lot of renovations going on, I imagine that has a bigger impact than the logistics issues.
BobPA
10/16/2017 3:31pm
Damn, that is a whole bunch of zig-zagging back and forth across the country....Metric fortune for a privateer to go for the who series.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
10/16/2017 3:35pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2017 3:35pm
From what I heard.

jmx411 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Pretty sure Toronto has to do with logistics. Teams having a hard time at the border, having to rent smaller trucks to pull the trailer because...

The shorter tractors actually have to do with total length regulations in Canada. The way I was explained it, most of the team's rigs and trailers are too long...so they have to rent day-cab trucks to get across the border. Also, some teams have ditched the rig and rented box vans...

Post a reply to: SX 18 Schedule

The Latest