SUV owners with Add-a-bike style Hitch carriers...

Sideways717
6/11/2010 7:58am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 5:43pm
Just curious what you SUV owners think of these. Are they sturdy? I'm thinking of getting one for my Explorer. I pull my dads 12ft covered trailer everywhere now. Yesterday I went to pick it up and it had a padlock on it cause the quad was in it...my riding day was ruined...

|
Anthony97
6/11/2010 8:10am
I have one and It is perfect for those quick rides. I use it alot during the week and use my enclosed trailer for the weekend at the race
6/11/2010 8:16am
noob wrote:
They're great. I like this one: [img]http://www.cyclegear.com/images/offroadacc/ultimate-mx_hauler_LG.jpg[/img] http://www.ultimatemxhauler.com/product_advantages.php
I have this too and am very happy. I have a old model, so I put a tie down on the handlebars to just be safe. But it's a great thing to have. I don't like the rail one's and had one before, but sold it, because it is harder to put away when done. Long and bulky.
Sideways717
6/11/2010 8:40am
My receiver is a class II so I need to upgrade my receiver too, kinda sucks but I think it'll be worth it.

The Shop

Torco1
6/11/2010 8:50am
If you can find an original Moto Jack Rack somewhere I would go with that. Those things were built really strong.
Sideways717
6/11/2010 9:17am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:22pm
I found a class II to class III adaptor. I emailed the company who makes to see if it would support the ultimatemxhauler and the bike.

My buddy has a regular ramp style on his escape. He loves it but its not sturdy and looks shady as f&*#!!!

On the mxhauler do those tabs hook over the footpegs. I'm on my phone and can't really tell from the pic. Thanks!
6/11/2010 9:32am
I found a class II to class III adaptor. I emailed the company who makes to see if it would support the ultimatemxhauler and the bike...
I found a class II to class III adaptor. I emailed the company who makes to see if it would support the ultimatemxhauler and the bike.

My buddy has a regular ramp style on his escape. He loves it but its not sturdy and looks shady as f&*#!!!

On the mxhauler do those tabs hook over the footpegs. I'm on my phone and can't really tell from the pic. Thanks!
Yes, they hook over and are drawn down by wing nuts. I don't know if the class 2 will be strong enough. I'd ask. Quite a bit of bouncing around.
noob
6/11/2010 9:43am
I found a class II to class III adaptor. I emailed the company who makes to see if it would support the ultimatemxhauler and the bike...

Yes, they hook over and are drawn down by wing nuts. I don't know if the class 2 will be strong enough. I'd ask. Quite a...
Yes, they hook over and are drawn down by wing nuts. I don't know if the class 2 will be strong enough. I'd ask. Quite a bit of bouncing around.
The new ones also have a threaded hitch pin. Zero wobble from the bike or rack.

Don't fuck around with a class 2 hitch - get a proper class 3. You're going to have a shitload of tongue weight on it.
6/11/2010 9:52am
I loved mine. The only thing that I didn't like about it was that there was no place to put a gas can. I had to put it in my jeep and smell gas the whole way to the track.

If you have a wobble on the rack you can just drill through the hole t make it the same size as the receiver hitch.
Sideways717
6/11/2010 9:55am

Yes, they hook over and are drawn down by wing nuts. I don't know if the class 2 will be strong enough. I'd ask. Quite a...
noob wrote:
The new ones also have a threaded hitch pin. Zero wobble from the bike or rack. Don't fuck around with a class 2 hitch - get...
The new ones also have a threaded hitch pin. Zero wobble from the bike or rack.

Don't fuck around with a class 2 hitch - get a proper class 3. You're going to have a shitload of tongue weight on it.
Alrighty, will do. Thanks a lot!
noob
6/11/2010 10:23am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2010 10:34am
I loved mine. The only thing that I didn't like about it was that there was no place to put a gas can. I had to...
I loved mine. The only thing that I didn't like about it was that there was no place to put a gas can. I had to put it in my jeep and smell gas the whole way to the track.

If you have a wobble on the rack you can just drill through the hole t make it the same size as the receiver hitch.
Another bonus with the Ultimate MX Hauler is the optional gas jug rack. No fumes inside.

Lightning78
6/11/2010 11:37am
They are great as long as you don't get rear ended by another car!
Sideways717
6/11/2010 11:57am
They are great as long as you don't get rear ended by another car!
Yeah, that would suck...for sure!!
pie8man
6/11/2010 12:05pm
I use one that's nice and solid. It is of the aluminum ramp style. Make sure you get one that actually bolts tight to the hitch receiver. I bought it years ago in a moto shop that's out of business now but I got to put my hands on it... It looked good and solid. Unfortunately there are no marks or stickers indicating who made it.
Good Luck
race
6/11/2010 12:46pm
I loved mine. The only thing that I didn't like about it was that there was no place to put a gas can. I had to...

noob wrote:
Another bonus with the Ultimate MX Hauler is the optional gas jug rack. No fumes inside.

Nice set up. Any problems with wobble or play? And I think in Cali you can be ticketed for a plastic gas container that is exposed to the highway though. Think I got a warning on it once.

BTW - is there a function key to hit to lose the banner ads on this post?

Rudeboy119
6/11/2010 12:57pm
assembled mine yesterday, will let you know how she does this weekend
noob
6/11/2010 1:13pm
race wrote:
Nice set up. Any problems with wobble or play? And I think in Cali you can be ticketed for a plastic gas container that is exposed...
Nice set up. Any problems with wobble or play? And I think in Cali you can be ticketed for a plastic gas container that is exposed to the highway though. Think I got a warning on it once.

BTW - is there a function key to hit to lose the banner ads on this post?

Zero wobble, zero play.

I don't have the gas rack option, so I'm not sure (found that photo on the internet). I'd like one, but I'm already at the edge of my hitch's recommended tongue weight and waaaayy over my CR-V's recommendation. I don't want to risk more weight on there.

Here's my setup:

Post a reply to: SUV owners with Add-a-bike style Hitch carriers...

The Latest