SPEED Live

JW381
Edited Date/Time 2/27/2012 6:38pm
I love being able to watch the races live on SPEED, trust me. I may be a little picky here, but I've just grown too tired of their formulaic approach to the broadcasts. Example: Showing the leader cross the finish line, regardless of what may be happening behind him. If RV is 20 seconds out front, and Dungey and Stewart are rubbing plastic for second place, I feel like it's a waste to show Villo cross the line. They need to focus on the drama that the races have. NASCAR is sure to show any fight or altercation between drivers on the track or in the pits, so why should this be any different? RC or Fro may attempt to explain how one rider is doing a section differently or taking a unique line, but they're just trying to describe what happened in the midst of the live shots. They need better replays of more relevant and crucial events. Not just replaying the holeshot or the "pass of the race" over and over.

I'm no expert on TV broadcasts by any means, but I watch other sports enough to know that they do show what's going on beyond just the surface more so than they do with MX and SX. I know it's more of niche sport, but fans aren't dumb, and the dumb fans are going to be dumb regardless of what they show on TV. Every sport has dumb fans, so why tailor to them? When I'm watching golf or football or basketball, I don't feel like they're trying to explain the game to me. F1 commentary is much more precise and in depth and relevant to actual racing matters. I can't say the same for these SX broadcasts.

Agree or disagree?
|
Thor34103
2/27/2012 1:47pm
I agree that often they are not showing the right thing on the finishes. They will even cut away to a commercial before the top 5 cross the finish line. Another thing they focus on is if someone falls they keep the camera on the guy picking up the bike. This is expecially annoying when it is at the start and thing are still sorting out up front.

Another comment, and I am sure I will be flammed for this, but why doesn't RC get an English/Grammar coach?
JW381
2/27/2012 1:49pm
Thor34103 wrote:
I agree that often they are not showing the right thing on the finishes. They will even cut away to a commercial before the top 5...
I agree that often they are not showing the right thing on the finishes. They will even cut away to a commercial before the top 5 cross the finish line. Another thing they focus on is if someone falls they keep the camera on the guy picking up the bike. This is expecially annoying when it is at the start and thing are still sorting out up front.

Another comment, and I am sure I will be flammed for this, but why doesn't RC get an English/Grammar coach?
Haha It'd be nice if he got one, but it's because he doesn't need to get one. I think the color commentating thing is just something to do to stay involved. I do agree tho, he has a ton of expert view point in his noggin, just no way to put it into useful words.
mtl
2/27/2012 1:49pm
Whiny. Fucking. Cunts.
cool_hand
2/27/2012 1:56pm
Picky, .... live broadcasts are huge.

I will say, the filming leaves a bit to be desired. Seems the NASCAR scrubs show up to run the cameras and main board for SX......

The Shop

JW381
2/27/2012 1:57pm
mtl wrote:
Whiny. Fucking. Cunts.
Good one. I love the Monster Party in the Pits segments.
EastFlorida
2/27/2012 1:59pm
Every time I hear RC say, "I seen him..."

I just cringe.....
JK105
2/27/2012 2:01pm
If you really wanted to be a prick you could bitch saying is it really live? Seemed to be 10-15 minutes off from all the twitter updates...
jtomasik
2/27/2012 2:06pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2012 2:07pm
I've got no complaints. Been watching this stuff since I was a little kid (1970's), and coverage went from a once in a blue moon thing on Wide World of Sports, to 3 weeks late but often supplanted by a women's basketball game that went into OT, to numerous races a year live on Saturdays.

I love the whole SPEED crew and everything you do and say. Please give me more live races. Thank you in advance.
JW381
2/27/2012 2:19pm
jtomasik wrote:
I've got no complaints. Been watching this stuff since I was a little kid (1970's), and coverage went from a once in a blue moon thing...
I've got no complaints. Been watching this stuff since I was a little kid (1970's), and coverage went from a once in a blue moon thing on Wide World of Sports, to 3 weeks late but often supplanted by a women's basketball game that went into OT, to numerous races a year live on Saturdays.

I love the whole SPEED crew and everything you do and say. Please give me more live races. Thank you in advance.
You are right, and I admit I am jaded. Still, I don't think I'm in the wrong for comparing what we get on Saturday's and what other sports get. Little things can be changed to enhance the experience.
EastFlorida
2/27/2012 3:16pm
jtomasik wrote:
I've got no complaints. Been watching this stuff since I was a little kid (1970's), and coverage went from a once in a blue moon thing...

JW381 wrote:
You are right, and I admit I am jaded. Still, I don't think I'm in the wrong for comparing what we get on Saturday's and what...
You are right, and I admit I am jaded. Still, I don't think I'm in the wrong for comparing what we get on Saturday's and what other sports get. Little things can be changed to enhance the experience.
I agree...
jtomasik
2/27/2012 3:29pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2012 3:32pm
jtomasik wrote:

JW381 wrote:
You are right, and I admit I am jaded. Still, I don't think I'm in the wrong for comparing what we get on Saturday's and what...
I'm not saying you're wrong or things can't be improved, but the complaints are still as vocal as they were back when our showings were 3-4 weeks after the fact. You're probably not an old grumpy fart like me.

Here's what I want to see:

More picture in picture. Hell, leave it up the whole time.

More live shows, even throughout the nationals.

Erin Bates in the booth, without some guy chirping in her ear, asking her to ask the same old questions, then she gets derided for it.

Emig wearing the fro.

Guest appearances by ex MX/SX champs (Lackey? Hannah? Bailey? RJ? etc., etc., etc....), instead of some TV movie star or some has-been glam singer.

An occasional violent take-over of the booth by a few crazies like Metzger and Stephenson.

Riding hints by the pros. Learning about brake pads is fine, but explaining the nuances of riding might educate the layman so they get a better handle of what SX/MX riding is really all about.

Ronnie Mac sighting laps after Windham's transfer.
wawazat
2/27/2012 3:44pm
RV could throw a sick one hander and you would of missed it, then how would you feel?

I think Speed is doing pretty good with the camera work, the announcing crew leaves a bit to be desired though. Personally I would rather hear Dianna interview the riders rather than Erin. Really tired of the "Take us throughs."
dboivin
2/27/2012 4:14pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2012 4:15pm
mtl wrote:
Whiny. Fucking. Cunts.
god damn..some of you guys must have absolutely nothing better to do. I'll take RC as color commentator all day long. He calls shit before it even happens...and hes spot on with whats going thru each guys helmet at any specific point in the race. some of you need to grow up and quit the fuckin whining.

said best above. bunch of whiny. fucking. cunts.

that being said, Weege is the most knowledgeable and the best tv commentator, not sure why he's not in the booth.
Thor34103
2/27/2012 4:34pm
mtl wrote:
Whiny. Fucking. Cunts.
dboivin wrote:
god damn..some of you guys must have absolutely nothing better to do. I'll take RC as color commentator all day long. He calls shit before it...
god damn..some of you guys must have absolutely nothing better to do. I'll take RC as color commentator all day long. He calls shit before it even happens...and hes spot on with whats going thru each guys helmet at any specific point in the race. some of you need to grow up and quit the fuckin whining.

that being said, Weege is the most knowledgeable and the best tv commentator, not sure why he's not in the booth.
I agree that Weege is very good and would like to see more of him.

RC certainly is the GOAT and knows what he is talking about, but his use of the English language makes him come across as uneducated. This is a professional sport and think he would come across more polished with some better grammer. Just like MTL using abusive or profane language. Not necessary either.
Mstock
2/27/2012 4:48pm
The LIVE COVERAGE kicks ass. Thank you Speed TV! They could use non english speaking mongoloids and I would not give a damn because it is LIVE. Ralph and Jeff do a decent enough job are are getting better. There is no purpose for Erins position. It is not her. From what I read on this board she is not allowed to form her own sentences. I swear to God the dudes in her headphones telling her what to do are having a blast making her say/ask stupid shit just for their own enjoyment. And please stop interviewing riders right after they eat shit hard enough to piss blood for a week. Other than that Speed TV is killing it.
JW381
2/27/2012 5:12pm
mtl wrote:
Whiny. Fucking. Cunts.
dboivin wrote:
god damn..some of you guys must have absolutely nothing better to do. I'll take RC as color commentator all day long. He calls shit before it...

You're so intelligent, it blows my mind. Now that we're at this elite level of live coverage of the entire night show (one of the best things to happen to this sport in years) all I'm doing is comparing how the broadcasts for SX are done compared to how they're done for other sports, and where they could improve. It's not like SPEED is reading Vital anyway, so any critique of their production won't catapult us back to the ESPN2 days. Damn.

Post a reply to: SPEED Live

The Latest