SELA quit returning. *Update, PT has reached out*

Edited Date/Time 7/1/2020 7:18am
So I bought a SELA a couple weeks ago and installed it on my 450. It’s been really good- except it started getting really hard to twist to engage after about 14 motos.

I just disassembled the unit, cleaned everything out, put everything back together as it was exactly, if you do this be very careful there’s a small roller ball that guides the return- and now it’s not returning/disengaging. The engagement it’s great now that it’s clean. However the knob will not auto-pop out and return.

I’ve tried realigning the grapple ring on the fork, no help. The spring is still good. The plastic bushings inside are good. The roller ball is in the right spot and the guide spring to keep it tight is solid too.

Anyone?

I was a huge fan of this unit until right now.
|
Bramlett321
6/30/2020 12:22pm
That SELA came to market pretty quick....they may not have all the bugs worked out....
Rickyisms
6/30/2020 12:37pm
Same problem is happening with my friends on a KX250. Raced 4 motos with it and won't disengage. Haven't heard anything from Protaper yet.
USA
Fantasy
507th
6/30/2020 1:01pm
Damn I was looking at buying one for myself, now I'm going to just learn have to how to do it with a stoppie and my boot like the pros.
6/30/2020 1:12pm
"Anyone here from Pro Taper?" I'll tell you who is from Pro Taper - Pro Taper customer service. You should pick up the phone and, you know, fucking call them instead of looking like a helpless clown. Aren't you the kind of guy who might want some help from a company like a Pro Taper? I'm sure they were huge fans of you too, until right now.

The Shop

peelout
6/30/2020 1:16pm
holeshot devices are the Honda Ridgelines of moto accessories
Rickyisms
6/30/2020 6:36pm
[i]"Anyone here from Pro Taper?" [/i] I'll tell you who is from Pro Taper - Pro Taper customer service. You should pick up the phone and...
"Anyone here from Pro Taper?" I'll tell you who is from Pro Taper - Pro Taper customer service. You should pick up the phone and, you know, fucking call them instead of looking like a helpless clown. Aren't you the kind of guy who might want some help from a company like a Pro Taper? I'm sure they were huge fans of you too, until right now.
Damn someone really pissed in your Cheerios.
MotofactioN
6/30/2020 7:47pm
[i]"Anyone here from Pro Taper?" [/i] I'll tell you who is from Pro Taper - Pro Taper customer service. You should pick up the phone and...
Use that pink squishy thing in your skull and call a psychiatrist WoohooPinchCool
BAPT48
Fantasy
2286th
6/30/2020 9:35pm
So I bought a SELA a couple weeks ago and installed it on my 450. It’s been really good- except it started getting really hard to...
So I bought a SELA a couple weeks ago and installed it on my 450. It’s been really good- except it started getting really hard to twist to engage after about 14 motos.

I just disassembled the unit, cleaned everything out, put everything back together as it was exactly, if you do this be very careful there’s a small roller ball that guides the return- and now it’s not returning/disengaging. The engagement it’s great now that it’s clean. However the knob will not auto-pop out and return.

I’ve tried realigning the grapple ring on the fork, no help. The spring is still good. The plastic bushings inside are good. The roller ball is in the right spot and the guide spring to keep it tight is solid too.

Anyone?

I was a huge fan of this unit until right now.

Please contact us at ridersupport@protaper.com and we will get you taken care of.
BAPT48
Fantasy
2286th
6/30/2020 9:39pm
Rickyisms wrote:
Same problem is happening with my friends on a KX250. Raced 4 motos with it and won't disengage. Haven't heard anything from Protaper yet.
The majority of the ProTaper was staff was furloughed on 3/22 and they were just recently rehired, including me. If you contact me at ridersupport@protaper.com we will get you taken care of.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

7/1/2020 7:22am
BAPT48 wrote:

Please contact us at ridersupport@protaper.com and we will get you taken care of.
Thank you.

For anyone wondering:
I knew practically the entire staff was off the job, that's why I came here...
To see if any of my fellow riders had experienced issues/had a solve while the PT staff was off. Why some folks think that's a violation of international treaty is beyond me.
reded
7/1/2020 7:43am
BAPT48 wrote:

Thank you. For anyone wondering: I knew practically the entire staff was off the job, that's why I came here... To see if any of my...
Thank you.

For anyone wondering:
To see if any of my fellow riders had experienced issues/had a solve while the PT staff was off. Why some folks think that's a violation of international treaty is beyond me.
Assholes...
Moto520
7/1/2020 9:23am
man.....why bother switching from Works Connection? That HD has been perfect for years. Why over-complicate the design?
aedwards07
7/5/2020 5:21am
Has anyone had issues with the ring bending? My ring is bending where the hinge is.
500guy
7/5/2020 8:04am
Did the problem get resolved and if so what was the fix?
TeamGreen
7/5/2020 11:42am
BAPT48 wrote:

Thank you. For anyone wondering: I knew practically the entire staff was off the job, that's why I came here... To see if any of my...
Thank you.

For anyone wondering:
Proper response and it made me laugh.

Nice!
7/5/2020 1:29pm
500guy wrote:
Did the problem get resolved and if so what was the fix?
Yes- I disassembled it a few times. Did further cleaning.

There are two nylon washers and from the factory the sequence was twist knob, washer, spring, washer, mount. I changed mine to twist knob, both washers, spring, mount.

I figured the spring doesn’t need to be spinning inside the housing. It needs to be bound in place against the mount and the knob needs smooth action and no binding on return.

Brendan at PT was super cool and helped me out via phone and took my feedback. Really nice dude. Active racer too so he gets it.

I think they are working on releasing a video about the unit, for further FAQ.

Post a reply to: SELA quit returning. *Update, PT has reached out*

The Latest