Rynos podcast with Matthes on RX

dennisjonon
Edited Date/Time 4/4/2014 3:31pm
Did anyone else listen to it? Thoughts?

I really like ryno, and the way he runs his show. Just wanted to get others opinions. Keep this thread clean no bashing or fist fight stories please.

Show Link

dj
|
hvaughn88
4/3/2014 10:35am
I thought it was a good listen. He seemed to go into defense mode right off the bat when answering some questions, which kind of discredits his answers some, in my book. But overall, I thought it was pretty cool. I don't always agree with him but I do like him.
Panic_Rev
4/3/2014 11:06am
Maybe I'm easily influenced, but his rationale on neck braces made sense. I will not ride without one, but I understand his point.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
4/3/2014 11:07am
I liked it Dennis. I've already listened to it 2x.

Ryan has a strong personality and confidence. He is very passionate about what he has learned.

I liked the part about when he rode a 500 for Team USA and was too slow but figured it out by race day. Guys who had to ride those beasts have all of my respect especially when they never really raced them normally. Ryan and Emig both did that for Mxdn races, others also. Very cool!
kongols
4/3/2014 11:57am
Panic_Rev wrote:
Maybe I'm easily influenced, but his rationale on neck braces made sense. I will not ride without one, but I understand his point.
He makes a lot of sense.

The Shop

Juss
4/3/2014 11:59am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2014 12:00pm
Ya was really good. Funny how Bubba told him he would pull over for him to stop langstan from winning the mx title in 03
CdnKtm
4/3/2014 12:55pm
He's always had such a polarizing persona. I think that he has a great grasp of who he used to be and who he is now. He's not afraid to tell you his honest opinion yet can accept that it's his opinion and maybe not yours. He admits to having made mistakes in the past and has well earned pride regarding his accomplishments. I was never a big Ryno fan but you can't deny the intensity and effort that he put forward. The list of riders that he has worked with is impressive and they have almost all shown big improvements during their time with him. Thumbs up for another great interview, Matthes!
4/3/2014 1:26pm
While I think some of his claims may be a tad far fetched on the whole neck brace deal, he has me thinking of taking mine off for once. Between him and sitting down with a reputable car Neck restraint developer who had many of the same things to say, I just might jump ship. It was a solid interview as nuts as he might be at times.
Boarddesign
Fantasy
2035th
4/3/2014 1:43pm
I enjoyed it. A lot of the technique that I'm trying to install in my son, I feel is limited by his neckbrace. He and I look at photo's (of him riding) constantly and it appears that Ryno has valid arguments. The other part I agree with is, when my son crashes he cannot avoid going head first into the ground! This I do NOT like. Long story short, my son will try riding this weekend w/o a neckbrace for the first time. Fingers crossed.
B1LL31
4/3/2014 1:57pm
I really enjoyed the podcast. I thought he was well spoken and I didn't feel he was on the defensive about any of it. He stated this is his beliefs, do whatever you want with it. I'm definitely thinking about not wearing about my neck brace. I've been on the fence about it for the past year but after a local racer recently passed away due to brain injuries while wearing a neck brace, I have really been wondering whether they help or hurt. I definitely have more respect for Ryno after listening to his life story.
mxfiend
4/3/2014 4:52pm
B1LL31 wrote:
I really enjoyed the podcast. I thought he was well spoken and I didn't feel he was on the defensive about any of it. He stated...
I really enjoyed the podcast. I thought he was well spoken and I didn't feel he was on the defensive about any of it. He stated this is his beliefs, do whatever you want with it. I'm definitely thinking about not wearing about my neck brace. I've been on the fence about it for the past year but after a local racer recently passed away due to brain injuries while wearing a neck brace, I have really been wondering whether they help or hurt. I definitely have more respect for Ryno after listening to his life story.
do what you want for yourself. id be willing to bet he had a helmet on too but u dont see everyone bashing arai or hjc. if u feel more comfortable with it rock it, if not hang it in the garage.bottom line it was a brain injury which had to be a severe blow to the helmet, no telling if it xould have turned out better without a brace.
PTshox
4/3/2014 5:47pm
link doesn't work...
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2410th
4/3/2014 6:23pm
B1LL31 wrote:
I really enjoyed the podcast. I thought he was well spoken and I didn't feel he was on the defensive about any of it. He stated...
mxfiend wrote:
do what you want for yourself. id be willing to bet he had a helmet on too but u dont see everyone bashing arai or hjc...
do what you want for yourself. id be willing to bet he had a helmet on too but u dont see everyone bashing arai or hjc. if u feel more comfortable with it rock it, if not hang it in the garage.bottom line it was a brain injury which had to be a severe blow to the helmet, no telling if it xould have turned out better without a brace.
Yah man,

I agree with you, TBI isn't SCI.........

And no offense B1LL31, but if ya equate TBi with a neck brace.....hell, I bet he was wearing boots and gloves too.

Those sure as heck didn't give a head injury.

I really don't give two craps about what Rhino has to say about it...he was a damn good rider with a lot of adversity in his life...and maybe he's a good trainer these days. But he sure as hell doesn't have any proven data to support his beliefs...
only events that fit into his agenda.

Sorry to hear of any rider passing....

Again, IMO

PS
Hank_Thrill
4/3/2014 6:38pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2014 6:38pm
I'm not a fan of Ryan on the track due to his domination, but I am a pretty big fan of Ryan the person. He has a quirky funny sense of humor, which I like, and seems to joke around with the guys like they are best friends. He is hands down a beast on and off the bike.

When I get some spare time I'm going to write up an article from a psychological perspective on his temperament and how it is one of his greatest assets towards winning championships.
bd
4/3/2014 11:15pm
I had the opportunity to work with Ryan last November. I do not know his past personas and masks, he is currently living his truth and being his authentic self. He coaches with passion and intensity and cares about your progress and well being. He takes time explain his techniques. Awesome gentleman and great coach. I look forward to training with him again.

Neck braces did come up - I did not and will not wear them.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
4/3/2014 11:37pm
It was a good listen. Seems like he's got his head on straight.

I can understand where his thoughts on neck braces come from, but to say that, "x" number of people died from wearing a neck brace last year and 0 have died not wearing one seems like a heavy claim. There are pros and cons to every decision we make in life and I do respect that he is not pushing his views on people, just stating his thoughts.
kongols
4/3/2014 11:44pm
It was a good listen. Seems like he's got his head on straight. I can understand where his thoughts on neck braces come from, but to...
It was a good listen. Seems like he's got his head on straight.

I can understand where his thoughts on neck braces come from, but to say that, "x" number of people died from wearing a neck brace last year and 0 have died not wearing one seems like a heavy claim. There are pros and cons to every decision we make in life and I do respect that he is not pushing his views on people, just stating his thoughts.
He did not say " "x" number of people died from wearing a neck brace last year ".
frita
4/4/2014 1:47am
I didn't enjoy it. I stopped listening about half way through. Ryno is probably right about a lot of thing but he just seems like the kind of guy that, not matter what you say, he won't change his opinion. Even if you had indisputable evidence. He seems so sure about everything. Even things he cannot know for sure. Ignorance can sometimes be confused with passion. It really demeans all the things he is correct about. (eg: I wholeheartedly doubt he can tell if you are a neck brace wearer by the way you squat. 90% of people will naturally squat at the knees).

I understand what he was saying about the neck braces. They transfer the force of the impact to different places of the body. Yes I dare say they exacerbate the injury in places that would otherwise go uninjured Quoting Ryno off my head he said something like it transfers the force to other parts of the body like the shoulders and back.... yes thats the point!!! Having the option, I'd much rather break my back then my neck! Quadriplegic vs Paraplegic.
frita
4/4/2014 1:48am
P.S: It seems as though Matthes was walking on egg shells the way he worded the questions.
Poppa Biggz
4/4/2014 3:55am
I have away's thought Ryno was the man! But after the video of his fight year or so ago lost alot of respect, right or wrong He's just a bully and what make's a bully ? lack of education.
4/4/2014 4:04am
While I think some of his claims may be a tad far fetched on the whole neck brace deal, he has me thinking of taking mine...
While I think some of his claims may be a tad far fetched on the whole neck brace deal, he has me thinking of taking mine off for once. Between him and sitting down with a reputable car Neck restraint developer who had many of the same things to say, I just might jump ship. It was a solid interview as nuts as he might be at times.
I have worn one since like 2008 and I took mine off this year. I feel that ive made a good decision. I feel better on the bike and what ryno said stays true to me. I actually do have better technique an can move the bike around a lot better. Mostly in corners. What made me do it was analyzing all the people I have seen take them off, and seeing everyone keep getting hurt with one on. You can always get hurt with or without one but I feel there have been more serious injuries.
mmcmx
4/4/2014 4:33am
I have away's thought Ryno was the man! But after the video of his fight year or so ago lost alot of respect, right or wrong...
I have away's thought Ryno was the man! But after the video of his fight year or so ago lost alot of respect, right or wrong He's just a bully and what make's a bully ? lack of education.
Come on man I'm sure he's not proud of that either. We all have done things we wish we hadn't.
B1LL31
4/4/2014 6:51am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2014 6:52am
B1LL31 wrote:
mxfiend wrote:
do what you want for yourself. id be willing to bet he had a helmet on too but u dont see everyone bashing arai or hjc...
Yah man, I agree with you, TBI isn't SCI......... And no offense B1LL31, but if ya equate TBi with a neck brace.....hell, I bet he was...
Yah man,

And no offense B1LL31, but if ya equate TBi with a neck brace.....hell, I bet he was wearing boots and gloves too.

I really don't give two craps about what Rhino has to say about it...he was a damn good rider with a lot of adversity in his life...and maybe he's a good trainer these days. But he sure as hell doesn't have any proven data to support his beliefs...

Again, IMO

PS
PS & Mxfiend,
Did you guys listen to the podcast? I only said he has a valid point. As he explained it, If your going to land on your head, the body's natural instinct is to tuck your head. If you neck brace won't let you tuck your head then all impact is transferred to your head and the rest of your body. Which in turn causes TBi. To me, that makes sense. Is there proven data? No But is there proven data to support neck braces? No, no third party company has done any testing on neck braces. I don't see any agenda in Ryno, only his beliefs. Keep your braces on, I don't care. It's about personal choice for oneself, sounds to me like you guys are pushing an agenda.
hasko158
4/4/2014 7:18am
I enjoyed it. A lot of the technique that I'm trying to install in my son, I feel is limited by his neckbrace. He and I...
I enjoyed it. A lot of the technique that I'm trying to install in my son, I feel is limited by his neckbrace. He and I look at photo's (of him riding) constantly and it appears that Ryno has valid arguments. The other part I agree with is, when my son crashes he cannot avoid going head first into the ground! This I do NOT like. Long story short, my son will try riding this weekend w/o a neckbrace for the first time. Fingers crossed.
I wouldn't worry about the brace limiting the technique, RV, Weimer, Windham and more all have great technique and wear a brace. It is quite noticeable though how few pros wear them now though.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
4/4/2014 7:46am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2014 7:47am
Ya If C and B riders are worried about technique (or lack there of) and a neck brace affecting that, please explain Ryan Villopoto to me.
kongols
4/4/2014 7:47am
seth505 wrote:
Ya If C and B riders are worried about technique (or lack there of) and a neck brace affecting that, please explain Ryan Villopoto to me.
He did.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
4/4/2014 7:50am
seth505 wrote:
kongols wrote:
He did.
Well dammit, sounds like I have to listen now
TallonT911
4/4/2014 7:59am
seth505 wrote:
kongols wrote:
He did.
seth505 wrote:
RV2 also has investments in Atlas so he will definitely continue wearing one. I have been a neck brace user for the past 6 years and have recently quit wearing it after a crash and seeing/hearing the pros not wearing them anymore and their statements about them.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
4/4/2014 8:35am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2014 8:35am
kongols wrote:
He did.
seth505 wrote:
TallonT911 wrote:
RV2 also has investments in Atlas so he will definitely continue wearing one. I have been a neck brace user for the past 6 years and...
RV2 also has investments in Atlas so he will definitely continue wearing one. I have been a neck brace user for the past 6 years and have recently quit wearing it after a crash and seeing/hearing the pros not wearing them anymore and their statements about them.
Ok, just listened. I like what he said about technique for getting fast (rather than just pushing and riding over your head) but I still don't get the neckbrace hate. I'd like to see him use a rider sitting on a bike on a stand or even a manikin to portray how limiting he thinks they are, it would help make his theory more factual. They are not as limiting as he is portraying IMO.

He also contradicted himself on that explanation, he said getting on the back behind your knees is the most dangerous position you can put yourself in and then explains that RV gets away with it by pushing his butt back.

The fact is, there are motocross riders and bicycle riders doing backflips and front flips while wearing these braces, it's not impossible or that limiting if you know what you are doing.

Still don't subscribe to his neck brace talk but like he mentioned, that's fine if he thinks they are dangerous. Either way, cool podcast.
Juss
4/4/2014 8:46am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2014 8:48am
B1LL31 wrote:
mxfiend wrote:
Yah man, I agree with you, TBI isn't SCI......... And no offense B1LL31, but if ya equate TBi with a neck brace.....hell, I bet he was...
Yah man,

Again, IMO

PS
Stewart, Reed, Dungey the list goes on. Those guys put there life's on the line every day. Don't take Rynos opinion, keep wearing the dam thing. There is a reason why more and more pros are taking them off! I tried to ride with one for about 2 weeks and took mine back. Felt like I had a tie down holding my neck in place. Can't move your head forward backward much or your helmet hits the thing. Just not for me

Post a reply to: Rynos podcast with Matthes on RX

The Latest