Ryno's Post about the Sport

Frodad78
11/12/2020 10:08am
JB 19 wrote:
I always roll my eyes when someone flips their wig and goes full stupid and then people say, "he wears his heart on his sleeve... is...
I always roll my eyes when someone flips their wig and goes full stupid and then people say, "he wears his heart on his sleeve... is super passionate" ...yada yada..... like he's the only passionate person around. Dry Hate to tell you, but there are all kinds of passionate people in all forms of competition, business, research, etc who don't act like a bone head. IT DOESN'T GIVE YOU A PASS FOR ACTING LIKE A DIPSHIT.
"No matter how you feel, you are always responsible for how you act."

Hard lesson to learn for some.
Sierra Ranger
11/12/2020 10:12am
Ryno is a man of solutions. I am sure he has a unique perspective training so many riders. It's like being Michael Jordan playing street ball when he is around amateur riders, so I'm not surprised at his frustration. He's being real and expressing his opinion that many people who participate in this sport lack the proper skills, training and physical conditioning to ride safely (is that not true?). I think the message is on point, and people shouldn't take it so personally about someone that most people here don't even know.
I am sure everybody seems like they are half-assing it to someone like Ryno, so he ascribes this event to a lack of proper training and technique.
He really made me think about myself and all the times I got out there without even close to the proper preparation. One time in particular I got hurt bad over an easy jump because I was on a borrowed bike with little seat time beforehand. We all do it, and that's his message. I think it's a positive one. Ryno is human and contributes a lot to this sport so I wouldn't shun him over voicing his opinion.
Chance1216
11/12/2020 10:28am
Ryno is a man of solutions. I am sure he has a unique perspective training so many riders. It's like being Michael Jordan playing street ball...
Ryno is a man of solutions. I am sure he has a unique perspective training so many riders. It's like being Michael Jordan playing street ball when he is around amateur riders, so I'm not surprised at his frustration. He's being real and expressing his opinion that many people who participate in this sport lack the proper skills, training and physical conditioning to ride safely (is that not true?). I think the message is on point, and people shouldn't take it so personally about someone that most people here don't even know.
I am sure everybody seems like they are half-assing it to someone like Ryno, so he ascribes this event to a lack of proper training and technique.
He really made me think about myself and all the times I got out there without even close to the proper preparation. One time in particular I got hurt bad over an easy jump because I was on a borrowed bike with little seat time beforehand. We all do it, and that's his message. I think it's a positive one. Ryno is human and contributes a lot to this sport so I wouldn't shun him over voicing his opinion.
So, if he was addressing your family member how would you take it? It doesn’t matter that we don’t know Chris. He’s still part of our community. After thinking I lost my son years ago when he wrecked, if I would’ve heard that bullshit from him, it would be taken very seriously and even more personal.

The Shop

Sierra Ranger
11/12/2020 11:18am
Ryno is a man of solutions. I am sure he has a unique perspective training so many riders. It's like being Michael Jordan playing street ball...
Chance1216 wrote:
So, if he was addressing your family member how would you take it? It doesn’t matter that we don’t know Chris. He’s still part of our...
So, if he was addressing your family member how would you take it? It doesn’t matter that we don’t know Chris. He’s still part of our community. After thinking I lost my son years ago when he wrecked, if I would’ve heard that bullshit from him, it would be taken very seriously and even more personal.
I might be hurt by comments like that if it were my family member, but I would also consider if it were true. A lot of these accidents are freak accidents- anything can happen on the track. I think Ryno was speaking more in general terms than he was drawing any conclusions about Chris Ow. I think his goal is to make people think about how to be safer riders, not criticize someone who got killed. Ryno is intense and that's how his message came out. At least he's trying to analyze it instead of shrugging his shoulders and saying "it happens."
My opinion might colored by my own view that the culture needs to change in terms of track safety in the sport in general. For instance, I see stupid shit at the track every time I go. Mostly idiots running gears through the pits with kids walking around because they want to look cool (crap like that).
tingo
11/12/2020 11:20am Edited Date/Time 11/12/2020 11:24am
You are perfectly entitled to you option on this, of course, but I don't know man, there is a time and a place. Don't be an apologist for his behavior. He admittedly didn't see the crash and doesn't know the rider (neither do I, but RIP Chris), yet proceeded to lambast the guy for not being properly trained. "I feel and I know that this crash wouldn't have happened if this guy was skilled." From what it sounds like, he was an experienced rider, not that it matters. He was also a guy whose family and friends just got the worst news possible, if they even knew yet. Ryan's argument is shit to begin with (it is most definitely NOT a "positive message") and an even shittier thing to do, no matter how you slice it. Ryan has crashed. We all have. Hell, he broke his femur during a training session last year. Put me in a time machine so I can go kick dirt in his face while he lays there in pain and tell him what a no-talent, pathetic, squid he is for having the audacity to crash. Some of us come through this grueling sport with only a few broken bones and flesh wounds. Unfortunately, others end up in a chair. Worse yet, some, like Chris, lose their lives chasing the thrill that moto provides. No amount of "unique perspective" or "passion" for the sport excuses his holier-than-thou rant. It is the height of douchery. I try to keep my language in check, but really, fuck Ryno.
JohnMatrix
11/12/2020 11:52am
Let's put the facts out there. Chris was a long time and very experienced rider, OTHG racer, 52+ intermediate...and a fast one at that. For Hughes to make an assumption that this accident happened because he lacked skill or training is what really invalidates his rant, for me at least. I can't get on board with him using this accident as a launch pad for half of the shit he spewed out. There is some truth to some of the points he makes about safety in general, but not the time for it, and certainly doesn't apply to the victim of this unfortunate tragedy. There is a way to raise awareness tastefully but Hughes doesn't seem to have the emotional IQ to understand this.
Indy mxer
11/12/2020 2:14pm
tingo wrote:
You are perfectly entitled to you option on this, of course, but I don't know man, there is a time and a place. Don't be an...
You are perfectly entitled to you option on this, of course, but I don't know man, there is a time and a place. Don't be an apologist for his behavior. He admittedly didn't see the crash and doesn't know the rider (neither do I, but RIP Chris), yet proceeded to lambast the guy for not being properly trained. "I feel and I know that this crash wouldn't have happened if this guy was skilled." From what it sounds like, he was an experienced rider, not that it matters. He was also a guy whose family and friends just got the worst news possible, if they even knew yet. Ryan's argument is shit to begin with (it is most definitely NOT a "positive message") and an even shittier thing to do, no matter how you slice it. Ryan has crashed. We all have. Hell, he broke his femur during a training session last year. Put me in a time machine so I can go kick dirt in his face while he lays there in pain and tell him what a no-talent, pathetic, squid he is for having the audacity to crash. Some of us come through this grueling sport with only a few broken bones and flesh wounds. Unfortunately, others end up in a chair. Worse yet, some, like Chris, lose their lives chasing the thrill that moto provides. No amount of "unique perspective" or "passion" for the sport excuses his holier-than-thou rant. It is the height of douchery. I try to keep my language in check, but really, fuck Ryno.
Very well put tingo. You pretty much nailed it.
I'm 63 and have been enjoying this addictive sport since I was 15. Although I've got out at times as life got in the way, I always came back to it. Now I'm enjoying it as much as I ever did, albeit at a much slower pace. I'm one of the lucky ones you mentioned. A few broken bones and many scrapes and bruisess.

Ryno's rant was ill timed, off base and I disagree with a lot of it. Sometimes bad shit just happens for no real reason.

God speed Chris Ow.
mtl
11/12/2020 8:50pm
Lets remember Chris Ow, the racer. He was no slouch and his results show it.

Would probably show the dingbat who can only stay relevant via social media a thing or two about riding on two wheels with or without a motor.

65s
11/12/2020 9:31pm

Chance1216
11/12/2020 9:33pm
65s wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/11/12/458999/s1200_thumbnail.jpg[/img]

That’s so awesome.
FARANG
11/12/2020 9:35pm
I like Ryno but I totally disagree with him on this.

He has no idea what caused the crash and yet he's blaming the rider's technique. Maybe the engine seized on the face, maybe he cramped up, who knows? Even riders with great technique crash, watch pro racing for a season. Herlings nearly killed himself on a pretty innocuous jump, I guess he sucks too.

If people want to ride at the weekend that's up to them, we all know the risks.

I get Ryno is passionate but he needs to consider other people as well. Can you imagine if that was Chris Ow's brother watching that rant?
Jeff_Brines
11/13/2020 5:53am
Ryno made a big error by utilizing a man's death as a justification to get on his soap box. His rant about coaching vs money spent on a bike is one I fully hear, just not in this context. It looks classless, assumes a whole bunch about the rider, and makes a false suggestion that we can eliminate risk with coaching.

The right thing to say? We lost a man, it was super hard to be out there, and we should all rally around one and other to honor this man's life.

If he wants to go on his coaching rant later, awesome, in its own right, its an important rant. If he wants to talk about how serious the sport is, regardless of how serious you take it, go for it, again, I see the angle here.

As a backcountry skier, this is akin to going off the day someone dies in an avalanche, suggesting they could have somehow mitigated the event. Maybe they could have. Maybe they couldn't have. But that moment isn't the time to say *anything*.

He doesn't know how this rider died, because he didn't see it. Maybe something weird did happen. Maybe something freakish happened.

Put another way, we don't drive by a car accident and go "you should have taken driving more seriously, get a coach; that's why this happened".

Nonethless, I love Ryno. I get it. We're all human. I dig the guys passion and frankly, even though I'm an off road guy, I'd 100% sign up for coaching with him.

Post a reply to: Ryno's Post about the Sport

The Latest