Ryno's Post about the Sport

yz133rider
11/7/2020 7:44pm
yz133rider wrote:
Everyone has a tough guy mentality in the sport, discussing anything to make it safer is a threat to the ego it seems. He wasn’t attacking...
Everyone has a tough guy mentality in the sport, discussing anything to make it safer is a threat to the ego it seems.

He wasn’t attacking the downed rider, he was trying to make sure we all use this as a wake up call so that we aren’t next.

This shit is serious, and needs to be treated as such.

seth505 wrote:
Did listening to that result in you contacting him or another school for training? Not trying to be a dick, just wondering. He said himself he...
Did listening to that result in you contacting him or another school for training? Not trying to be a dick, just wondering.

He said himself he didn’t see the crash so anything he had to say was 100% misplaced. Make comments about people needing training on his own time, not piggy back on a fellow riders death.
It did not, but I do watch a ton of videos on riding form and constantly at working at it and learning it.
brocster
11/7/2020 10:29pm
HondaFan33 wrote:
So it’s the guys fault for not being good enough got it ryno.
No, his point is considering how dangerous this sport is people don't take it serious enough. That is the point of his video.
No, his point is considering how dangerous this sport is people don't take it serious enough. That is the point of his video.
How does he or you know how serious people take it?

People are individuals and have different levels of fear. It’s not for you or Ryno to decide. Some people are afraid of heights some aren’t, some people like to go fast some don’t and some people are afraid to get to get hurt, some aren’t. It’s called risk assessment and we are all different.

I would like to believe that everyone that rides or buys a dirt bike knows the consequences before hand and if not can quickly learn the second they wrap the throttle.

It’s not the tracks job to access riders as you can be Billy Badass early in the day but be Bronco Billy later in the day when it gets rough. How do you assess who belongs out there and who doesn’? Nevermind, how many CC’s they should be allowed.

WTF, so when you sign in in the morning there is a questionnaire asking how many times you trained this week, do you have a coach, are you qualified to be on “X” cc’s, before you get on the track I have to see you ride, etc. etc. talk about killing the sport....

Meh, I digress
11/7/2020 11:31pm
I thought he was gonna be mad at track design, when i saw he was mad at lack of coaching, seemed Like a greedy and selfish thing to say. hes not mad at the guys death hes mad the guys dont get enough coaching??? Hmm
d394
11/8/2020 6:35am
Ryno needs a psych evaluation. Seems like this Traumatic experience has pushed him off the edge.

The Shop

biondo
11/8/2020 7:51am Edited Date/Time 11/8/2020 7:56am
Hi y’all I tried to contact him On messenger about a lesson after seeing him
At Cahuilla Mx track giving lessons...A couple weeks ago...friend knows him ...he never responded so thinking he is not in
Need of money 💰He sure knows how to
Ride a Mx Bike! Maybe not the Best Communication Skills....
I’m just learning so I’ve been watching as many videos as I can thinking it is helpful🤓
SEEMEFIRST
11/8/2020 8:57am
ti473 wrote:
If he's using the front facing camera, which most people would when filming themselves, he is in the passenger seat. With that said, I don't agree...
If he's using the front facing camera, which most people would when filming themselves, he is in the passenger seat.

With that said, I don't agree that lack of technique is necessarily the reason for crashing. The pros, even the ones with the most flawless technique, crash. I would say pushing your limit is what causes you to crash. If my friend Billy Bob who's never ridden a bike, gets on one and tries his balls off he a way higher chance of crashing then me going the same speed while cruising around. Same as me trying as hard as I can, and Eli Tomac going faster while going sight lap speed.
The lettering on his shirt is not backwards.
SouthwestMfg
11/8/2020 2:30pm
FGR01 wrote:
Chris Ow. His name was Chris Ow. We are this far into this thread and his name hasn't been mentioned yet. I did not know the...
Chris Ow. His name was Chris Ow. We are this far into this thread and his name hasn't been mentioned yet. I did not know the man but by what I have seen he was a long time, experienced rider. Not cool to insinuate he did not take his craft seriously. Shit happens. David Bailey got hurt.

We all know Ryno is passionate and he is coming from a place of honest love and care for his sport. Our sport.

But, time and place, man. Before you launch a missile, check your trajectory. Because once you light that fuse...

UpTiTe wrote:
I get your point and respect it, but Bailey is a bad example, he was riding over his head and was trying something that he shouldn’t...
I get your point and respect it, but Bailey is a bad example, he was riding over his head and was trying something that he shouldn’t have tried.
Exactly and David would tell anyone that himself.
Alex.434
11/8/2020 9:43pm
I live on Route 79, the backcountry road that runs from Temecula to Santa Ysabel/Julian area. The one you take going out to Cahuilla Creek MX and turn onto the 371 from.

Last week a car drifted and hit a Husqvarna 401 motorcycle coming the other way. Rider down. Drove right past it. Week before that, about a mile further down the road, another car drifted and hit a Ducati Multistrada, killing the rider. This is happening A LOT out here.

How about you stop fucking filming videos while driving Ryno before you drift across the lane and kill a rider. Maybe you should take a driving school eh?
Crush
11/8/2020 10:20pm
Ryno is 100% correct in saying a lot of people ride have no idea, which only makes it more dangerous for anyone out there...

But it’s bad timing for sure, and the reality is, it’s dangerous in spite of competency, some times when you do something dangerous shit happens. Sounds like Chris was an enthusiast and had an idea, but war taken too soon. Rip and prayers to his family. Truly awful.
TXDirt
11/8/2020 10:41pm Edited Date/Time 11/8/2020 11:32pm
Ryan is a perfect example of why you shouldn’t post anything to social media. Does anyone really think it’s perfect timing to go post an emotionally charged rant right after you have seen an accident....

He has zero details on this riders abilities but sure does go on a senseless rant making a lot of assumptions.

Some of you see passion? I see a classless ex-pro who thinks he knows it all and thinks very very highly of his opinion.

How’s that old saying go... “better to keep your mouth closed and be thought ignorant then to open your mouth and remove all doubt”

That fits perfectly here.

Thank you Ryan for removing all doubt.
CPR
11/8/2020 11:21pm
Brent wrote:
Yup. A couple weeks back, I pitted next to a guy that appeared to be in his late 40”s that had a brand new Husky 450...
Yup.

A couple weeks back, I pitted next to a guy that appeared to be in his late 40”s that had a brand new Husky 450 he just bought the day before.

Dude told me he has never ridden a four stroke before, and had not ridden any dirt bikes anywhere since 1999 - the last bike he owed was a 1997 Yamaha YZ250. Dealer talked him into a new 450 because “the salesman says that Husky’s are good for vets”

I was a little wary because with the dad/office dweller bod he was sporting, that this may not go as well as he might want.

I felt bad because he didn’t bring his fork pump or any other tools to the track to set up sag or tire pressure or anything, he said he had no idea that new bikes need so much set up. I tried to help as much as I could , but he just wanted to go out and do laps on his new bike, new fox gear, and 21 year old beat up Arai helmet.

The whole ordeal lasted three laps before the guy pulled in unable to hold on, and he was rolling everything when he was out.
I never saw him after that, when I came back from my moto he and his truck were gone.

So if anyone needs a 2021 Husky 450 with maybe 20 minutes on it, I’m sure it’s for sale somewhere around Temecula or San Diego now.

I guess my point is that MX has gotten a lot harder than when I started riding decades ago- you have to be in shape, you have to use correct technique, and you have to realize this is the hardest sport on earth and you need to respect it.

You were going okay until the last paragraph; yes you have to be in shape and use technique, that’s never changed, but you seriously think moto has gotten a lot harder than decades ago?!
Modern bikes have better brakes, suspension, tyres and user friendly motors, safety gear fits and actually protects you, while tracks in general are groomed with purposely shaped jumps to lower risks.
Maybe you’re just confusing difficulty with your own development as a rider, or the maturing of your mind, so that you’re now more conscious of the risks?
What exactly has gotten harder???
FIREfish148
11/9/2020 1:25am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2020 1:31am
RIP Chris

https://pajaronian.com/kings-village-manager-christopher-ow-dies-in-mot…

Ryno's post was irrational and jumps around a bit no doubt but honestly I appreciate that raw emotion cause that's how I feel when I hear about a rider passing. Mad, scared, searching for solutions... Put yourself in his position though, as a teacher. The guy is laying there passed on the infield and he hears someone say "Are they gonna let us ride again?!?" Then looking around seeing everyone on their cell phone while waiting for the track to get cleared.

Just the way it is right now I guess. It is kind of sad that people are so out of touch with each others situations though.

JustMX
11/9/2020 2:46am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2020 2:48am
Brent wrote:
Yup. A couple weeks back, I pitted next to a guy that appeared to be in his late 40”s that had a brand new Husky 450...
Yup.

A couple weeks back, I pitted next to a guy that appeared to be in his late 40”s that had a brand new Husky 450 he just bought the day before.

Dude told me he has never ridden a four stroke before, and had not ridden any dirt bikes anywhere since 1999 - the last bike he owed was a 1997 Yamaha YZ250. Dealer talked him into a new 450 because “the salesman says that Husky’s are good for vets”

I was a little wary because with the dad/office dweller bod he was sporting, that this may not go as well as he might want.

I felt bad because he didn’t bring his fork pump or any other tools to the track to set up sag or tire pressure or anything, he said he had no idea that new bikes need so much set up. I tried to help as much as I could , but he just wanted to go out and do laps on his new bike, new fox gear, and 21 year old beat up Arai helmet.

The whole ordeal lasted three laps before the guy pulled in unable to hold on, and he was rolling everything when he was out.
I never saw him after that, when I came back from my moto he and his truck were gone.

So if anyone needs a 2021 Husky 450 with maybe 20 minutes on it, I’m sure it’s for sale somewhere around Temecula or San Diego now.

I guess my point is that MX has gotten a lot harder than when I started riding decades ago- you have to be in shape, you have to use correct technique, and you have to realize this is the hardest sport on earth and you need to respect it.

CPR wrote:
You were going okay until the last paragraph; yes you have to be in shape and use technique, that’s never changed, but you seriously think moto...
You were going okay until the last paragraph; yes you have to be in shape and use technique, that’s never changed, but you seriously think moto has gotten a lot harder than decades ago?!
Modern bikes have better brakes, suspension, tyres and user friendly motors, safety gear fits and actually protects you, while tracks in general are groomed with purposely shaped jumps to lower risks.
Maybe you’re just confusing difficulty with your own development as a rider, or the maturing of your mind, so that you’re now more conscious of the risks?
You make an excellent counter point.

I will carry it just a bit further and suggest that it has gotten easier, perhaps too easy.

If we think back to when a lot of us got started back in the late 70s/early 80's you had to learn some decent skills before you could go fast enough to suffer some of the catestrophic injuries that seem to be becoming way to common now.

You had to have your cornering down and really hit a section right to think about clearing an obstacles on a 125.

Go too fast into a rough section and you would quickly find the limits of your suspension.

Now with the modern bikes anybody can come out of a corner on a 450 (and even a 250f) and get into some serious trouble.

The tracks have changed into groomed roadrace courses with a few big jumps thrown in. The average speeds and top speeds are just ridiculous.

I am hoping that when the transition happens to electric that some kind of programming limitations can be considered to limit the speeds at certain skill levels instead of compounding the problem by trying to make an E-bike that can out perform a 450.
KAWI642
11/9/2020 3:39am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2020 3:40am
Hughes is quite possibly the largest dickhead in the country think someone give AF about his narcissistic opinion.
JB 19
11/9/2020 4:50am
Ryno's attitude the last 10 years reminds me of some school teachers who are surrounded by children all day. They grow accustomed to being a controlling expert on everything because they are superior to their daily audience and begin speaking to adults the way they speak to children at school.

Ryan seems like he thinks we are all students at one of classes. His crazy unhinged preaching turned into white noise years ago.
tingo
11/9/2020 6:10am
What a narcissistic dick. So much to pick apart in that video, but the irony of this gray-bearded man-child telling everyone to “grow up” strikes me as the oddest.

Get a coach! But don’t cheap out and get a half-priced coach. Also, I give free coaching. -Ryan Hughes.
11/9/2020 7:10am
Condolences to the Ow family. Terrible accident that happened. But that’s what it was. An accident. We as riders know every time we swing a leg over a motorcycle of any kind, we are at risk for an accident. Deep down we know the consequences that could happen if things don’t go as planned. Ryno had a bad accident years ago. I wonder if he’d have had better coaching, maybe his crash wouldn’t have happened? Come on. This stuff sucks in our sport but whether you are a pro or a beginner, it could happen to anyone at anytime. Stay safe everyone and enjoy riding your dirt bike just like Mr Chris Ow did. RIP.
Brent
11/9/2020 7:27am
CPR wrote:
You were going okay until the last paragraph; yes you have to be in shape and use technique, that’s never changed, but you seriously think moto...
Horsepower and more g forces encountered has increased.

My first 125 probably had 20 horsepower. My 2021 450 has upwards of 60 horsepower. A rider on a local average track can experience up to 7 G’s each lap.

So to answer your question, holding on has become harder, not only for crusty old farts like me, but for every human that rides these machines.

Kyle978
11/9/2020 8:36am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2020 8:37am
Brent wrote:
Horsepower and more g forces encountered has increased. My first 125 probably had 20 horsepower. My 2021 450 has upwards of 60 horsepower. A rider on...

My first 125 probably had 20 horsepower. My 2021 450 has upwards of 60 horsepower. A rider on a local average track can experience up to 7 G’s each lap.

So to answer your question, holding on has become harder, not only for crusty old farts like me, but for every human that rides these machines.

The fact you even needed to explain that blows me away, but well said.

You can get yourself in a LOT of trouble on a 450 if you don’t have the skills AND fitness to control it when things don’t go according to plan.

And to be honest, I feel fitness might be even more important than skills.
yz133rider
11/9/2020 8:47am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2020 8:53am
Brent wrote:
Horsepower and more g forces encountered has increased. My first 125 probably had 20 horsepower. My 2021 450 has upwards of 60 horsepower. A rider on...

Kyle978 wrote:
The fact you even needed to explain that blows me away, but well said. You can get yourself in a LOT of trouble on a 450...
The fact you even needed to explain that blows me away, but well said.

You can get yourself in a LOT of trouble on a 450 if you don’t have the skills AND fitness to control it when things don’t go according to plan.

And to be honest, I feel fitness might be even more important than skills.
It’ll all fall on deaf ears though, and be met with some ; maybe try flat track if you’re afraid of jumps or take up chess if you aren’t bro enough. Motos supposed to be dangerous and F off with any common sense or input that could benefit the sport.

Your first 125 also weighed SIGNIFICANTLY less than a new 450, which adds to the forces and inertia involved now.

Older bikes also as mentioned somewhere in this thread limited your ability to ride above your head. You needed a lot more skill, corner speed, and bike control to be able to go for the big jump out of the corner, or to get the speed to make certain sections.

Now with the broad power delivery, more traction, more power ; you don’t have to shift, carry any speed, or have much of any talent and you can get the speed needed to clear sections way above your abilities, which no doubt leads to some consequences.

seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
11/9/2020 9:08am
CPR wrote:
Brent wrote:

Does everyone forget that it's your own choice to buy a 450? You (everyone) can still buy a 125. I ride a 250 2-stroke mot of the time because I don't want the fastest/heaviest machine out there (and they are fun to ride/work on). If someone on a 450 out drags me then I figure I need to out ride them or corner better. It doesn't make me think "man, I need a modified 450".
Brent
11/9/2020 9:36am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2020 9:59am
seth505 wrote:
Does everyone forget that it's your own choice to buy a 450? You (everyone) can still buy a 125. I ride a 250 2-stroke mot of...
Does everyone forget that it's your own choice to buy a 450? You (everyone) can still buy a 125. I ride a 250 2-stroke mot of the time because I don't want the fastest/heaviest machine out there (and they are fun to ride/work on). If someone on a 450 out drags me then I figure I need to out ride them or corner better. It doesn't make me think "man, I need a modified 450".
I love 125’s, they are great fun to ride.
I also love the awesome power I have available on my 350 and 450.

But if you go to a track like glen helen or pala, you need similar skills and fitness to ride any size displacement.

You still have to endure the same g forces that are built into the track design regardless if you are riding a 125 or a 450.

Local public tracks nowadays feature many more jumps and bowl corners than even 10 years ago, and hitting all those obstacles at speed is more physically demanding.

I’m not complaining about anything, I love the challenge of hard tracks- if I can clear all the jumps and hold on for a 20 minute moto with consistent lap times, that’s my personal victory.
Kyle978
11/9/2020 9:44am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2020 9:45am
seth505 wrote:
Does everyone forget that it's your own choice to buy a 450? You (everyone) can still buy a 125. I ride a 250 2-stroke mot of...
Obviously those bikes are available and some take advantage of them, but if you go to Pala Vet track, Perris, GH etc. you’re going to see most adults on 450s regardless of their skill level.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
11/9/2020 9:53am
Kyle978 wrote:
Obviously those bikes are available and some take advantage of them, but if you go to Pala Vet track, Perris, GH etc. you’re going to see...
Obviously those bikes are available and some take advantage of them, but if you go to Pala Vet track, Perris, GH etc. you’re going to see most adults on 450s regardless of their skill level.
Agreed, I guess people just aren't great at policing themselves. Like street riders who are newbs that ride a 1000cc sportbike.
Kyle978
11/9/2020 9:57am
seth505 wrote:
Agreed, I guess people just aren't great at policing themselves. Like street riders who are newbs that ride a 1000cc sportbike.
Exactly, the 1000cc bike being available to anyone is so crazy to me.

The power-to-weight ratio of machines is getting pretty damn crazy, and the suspension is allowing people to feel very confident.

But when things go wrong, suspension still rebounds, bike still swaps and tires can only hang on for so much traction.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
11/9/2020 9:59am
I hope ryno never shows up at an oldtimer race, his head would explode. Lots of old slow guys on bitchin bikes who don't go fast, don't want to go faster, and just ride and race for fun. Everything he seems to hate. Maybe I'm wrong but damn that first video is harsh. I hope Chris Ow's family hasn't seen it, and doesn't see it. Accidents happen at all skill levels. RIP
Coyote
11/9/2020 10:01am
Wow. My feelings are that that was extremely selfish, insensitive and so far out of line that I can’t even find the words. We ride this...
Wow. My feelings are that that was extremely selfish, insensitive and so far out of line that I can’t even find the words. We ride this sport because we love it. WE as humans make the choice to take the risk everytime we ride because WE love it. Accidents happen. I’m pretty sure he didnt know this dude from Adam and it’s unfair for him to make these accusations. He said himself that he didn’t see what happened. Anything can happen on the smallest of obstacles. That was bull shit. All I hope for the family right now is that they can pull together through this and hold their family members memories in the highest of regard. RIP. Prayers and thoughts go out.
well put, Chris Ow was a lifetime friends and Ryan didnt know shit about Chris or his riding experience and went on a rampage promoting him, his products and riding schools, absolute bullshit!! His 2nd rambling realized he made a mistake but still out of line imho!!
Chance1216
11/9/2020 11:36am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2020 11:44am
Wow. My feelings are that that was extremely selfish, insensitive and so far out of line that I can’t even find the words. We ride this...
Wow. My feelings are that that was extremely selfish, insensitive and so far out of line that I can’t even find the words. We ride this sport because we love it. WE as humans make the choice to take the risk everytime we ride because WE love it. Accidents happen. I’m pretty sure he didnt know this dude from Adam and it’s unfair for him to make these accusations. He said himself that he didn’t see what happened. Anything can happen on the smallest of obstacles. That was bull shit. All I hope for the family right now is that they can pull together through this and hold their family members memories in the highest of regard. RIP. Prayers and thoughts go out.
Coyote wrote:
well put, Chris Ow was a lifetime friends and Ryan didnt know shit about Chris or his riding experience and went on a rampage promoting him...
well put, Chris Ow was a lifetime friends and Ryan didnt know shit about Chris or his riding experience and went on a rampage promoting him, his products and riding schools, absolute bullshit!! His 2nd rambling realized he made a mistake but still out of line imho!!
The second rant was only because of the backlash he got on Instagram. A lot of people aren’t happy and there was a lot said. If it wasn’t for the backlash, there wouldn’t be a second video. So, fuck that guy.

Edit: I’m sorry for the loss of your friend.
XC706
Fantasy
799th
11/9/2020 12:32pm
Coyote wrote:
well put, Chris Ow was a lifetime friends and Ryan didnt know shit about Chris or his riding experience and went on a rampage promoting him...
Chance1216 wrote:
The second rant was only because of the backlash he got on Instagram. A lot of people aren’t happy and there was a lot said. If...
The second rant was only because of the backlash he got on Instagram. A lot of people aren’t happy and there was a lot said. If it wasn’t for the backlash, there wouldn’t be a second video. So, fuck that guy.

Edit: I’m sorry for the loss of your friend.
Very true. I think The Hoff has a tough phone call to make.

Post a reply to: Ryno's Post about the Sport

The Latest