Ryno's Post about the Sport

delamar
11/6/2020 4:44pm
New to this great sport myself, one race moto. My daughter rides also (5 race motos) and i have had her doing a bunch of excellent training locally. we are cautious on track and are striving to learn and have fun. We actively seek out every available option for training and improvement to our riding. This tragic accident is a good point of reflection, thought a lot about this rider and his family on the opposite coast. RIP and heartfelt condolences to the friends and family. That said, this guy has a lot of gall to make so many assumptions and declarations. We certainly won’t be viewing his stuff for tips at all.

She has moto training tomorrow and we are trail riding Sunday. As said earlier, this is the greatest sport in the world. Been lurking multiple times a day for months, just signed up, first post. RIP Chris Ow.
numbers
11/6/2020 4:44pm
seth505 wrote:
What was the assessment when he got hurt at Pala? That one is ok because his technique was good enough to not die, only break bones...
What was the assessment when he got hurt at Pala? That one is ok because his technique was good enough to not die, only break bones? Wtf

“Wake up people”, how about ryno shuts the fuck up.
Sounds like the course should have been shut down due to excessive winds.
bonseff
11/6/2020 4:58pm
Ryno wears his heart on his sleeve, but yea, too soon with the technique comment considering he didn't see the incident. We all strive to go faster, and not everybody can afford lessons. I feel bad all the way around, but don't fault Ryno for his rant. Seeing a dead body sucks, trust me. It can really work you up.
JB 19
11/6/2020 5:00pm
..... coming from a guy who had some of the most spectacular crashes of the 90's. I always chalked it up as a guy going 110%....but maybe it was all bad technique and he actually didn't have a fu%$ing clue what he was doing... and had no business being on the bike he was riding. Dry

.....i guess that's what i got from his posts.

The Shop

bonseff
11/6/2020 5:10pm
Harsh, I have never seen a person pass away at at a track, but have seen a few get medivacked, it messes with you.
Hcallz5
11/6/2020 5:13pm
Everybody is gonna go down at some point, some people are better at judging risk than others. I'm 31 now and I don't really do ride the track anymore because it's dangerous and I need to go to work on Monday. (also because tracks in Utah are generally shit but that's beside the point). Single track is fun and if I'm gonna crash I bail and save myself, hell with the bike it can be fixed.

Ryno has to realize that even pros go down occasionally, look at what happened to Jessy Nelson..

hogkiller
11/6/2020 5:15pm
Life is short and dangerous, bad things happen to all of us , at 64 had more than most. started riding dirt bikes in 72 . do not want or need some one to tell me how to live my life. I take full responsibility for what I do and my endless love for dirt bikes. \\ dirt rider down // my sincere condolences to his family from Alberta
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
11/6/2020 5:35pm
Ryan Hughes is a certified nut, with this in mind his opinions should be taken with more than a grain of salt.
wwoberg
11/6/2020 6:03pm
Can't stop thinking "Dude, he started it".
sandman768
11/6/2020 6:30pm
I watched both videos from Ryno... Sometimes it’s best to write a letter about a conflict or dilemma you are embroiled in, you may or may not mail that letter to said recipient after reviewing what you wrote the next day. Sometimes it will help you gain clarification on the subject matter. I believe Abraham Lincoln utilized this method regularly when dealing with his generals during the civil war. ....... I witnessed a fellow rider die right in front of me a few years ago at my local track. It was a decent sized jump but it was not unsafe. I was standing right there, the rider made a mistake and endoed, landed wrong and broke his neck, died instantly. I was the first one to him, I knew it was not good right away. It was incredibly humbling and sad. I still think about that day and that rider.
R.I.P Moto Brother Chris Ow Condolences to family and friends.
PTshox
11/6/2020 6:37pm
I think we should all relax a bit. Chris Ow rode his entire life and was out doing what he enjoyed doing... and he liked it a lot. Heck most of his family has rode their entire life and are very involved in motorcycling and known for it. Ryno clearly was upset. And voiced his heart felt opinion after seeing someone die at the track. Yes, he has a style that is not for everyone, but his points are valid in my opinion. Study your craft.. your hobbies. Put energy into it. Think, train. All good ideas.

There are some unknowns currently too. Apparently it was a very simple jump. Simple for Chris Ow with his level of skill to jump. Time will tell...... but let's all relax on Ryno, he needs a little extra space sometimes, as high performance people do.

Let's be respectful that a really good family who has helped a lot of people, done a lot of good, lost a loved one doing what he loved. A son. A brother. And hey... hey... hey... Be smart when riding and be careful out there!

Ryno, I suggest tonight you get some fresh baked bread and some wine and sit by the fire and enjoy and ponder. You look like Jesus at this point......so when in Rome... )
bonseff
11/6/2020 6:45pm
sandman768 wrote:
I watched both videos from Ryno... Sometimes it’s best to write a letter about a conflict or dilemma you are embroiled in, you may or may...
I watched both videos from Ryno... Sometimes it’s best to write a letter about a conflict or dilemma you are embroiled in, you may or may not mail that letter to said recipient after reviewing what you wrote the next day. Sometimes it will help you gain clarification on the subject matter. I believe Abraham Lincoln utilized this method regularly when dealing with his generals during the civil war. ....... I witnessed a fellow rider die right in front of me a few years ago at my local track. It was a decent sized jump but it was not unsafe. I was standing right there, the rider made a mistake and endoed, landed wrong and broke his neck, died instantly. I was the first one to him, I knew it was not good right away. It was incredibly humbling and sad. I still think about that day and that rider.
R.I.P Moto Brother Chris Ow Condolences to family and friends.
Sorry about your homie. That sucks.
TeamGreen
11/6/2020 6:52pm
bonseff wrote:
Ryno wears his heart on his sleeve, but yea, too soon with the technique comment considering he didn't see the incident. We all strive to go...
Ryno wears his heart on his sleeve, but yea, too soon with the technique comment considering he didn't see the incident. We all strive to go faster, and not everybody can afford lessons. I feel bad all the way around, but don't fault Ryno for his rant. Seeing a dead body sucks, trust me. It can really work you up.
This.

Right here...this is “it”.
berm surfer
11/6/2020 8:00pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2020 8:01pm
Y'all do realize Ryno's intention was to try and save lives by his post. Give the dude a break you can see he felt vulnerable and very distressed. I bet he wishes there was something he could have done so he took to social media and expressed his feelings trying to help others in the only way he knew how, at the moment.

I wish yall the best, ride happy and stick together bros.
11/6/2020 8:05pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2020 8:17pm
Y'all do realize Ryno's intention was to try and [u]save lives[/u] by his post. Give the dude a break you can see he felt vulnerable and...
Y'all do realize Ryno's intention was to try and save lives by his post. Give the dude a break you can see he felt vulnerable and very distressed. I bet he wishes there was something he could have done so he took to social media and expressed his feelings trying to help others in the only way he knew how, at the moment.

I wish yall the best, ride happy and stick together bros.
I mean... he said what he said in the moment, slept on it, and still posted the video today, without understanding how insensitive he came across until he received some backlash. At which point he then walked it back a bit with the second video.

He may have had good intentions, but like someone else said here, imagine you're the family of Chris Ow watching that first video. He had a whole day to refine his thoughts and put out a different video.
11/6/2020 8:11pm
Fucking rant of the century right there. I thought Ryno had chilled out a bit with his new hippie lifestyle but clearly not. I was expecting him to apologise or something in the follow up, but he just says he feels bad for not honouring the guy and doesn't seem aware at all of his insensitive as fuck remarks and blaming the rider's death on his technique. I've known of and even saw in person very skilled riders getting paralysed before, I understand how what he said can apply to some riders but damn if he wants to respect and honour the guy then he could try not shitting on him in a public instagram rant.
Tenacious P
11/6/2020 8:27pm
Ryno should start an OnlyFans with daily riding tips, these crazy videos, and maybe some naked chicks thrown in there too. You’d ALL subscribe!
PTshox
11/6/2020 8:43pm
Ryno should start an OnlyFans with daily riding tips, these crazy videos, and maybe some naked chicks thrown in there too. You’d ALL subscribe!
I'm not a 100% sure I'd subscribe. I would consider it... depending on cost. I'd have to think about it after seeing the numbers. But it he keeps the hair/ beard and drinks some wine... I'm probably in.
Chance1216
11/6/2020 9:22pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2020 9:30pm
I don’t know why I keep returning to this thread but, after this I’ll step out
A few years ago I was riding with my son. He was 17 at the time. It was late in the day and he wanted me to see how he was progressing and getting used to his bike. He did a couple passes through some whoops by where we parked and, on the last one, he held the throttle open a little too long and didn’t brake early enough to make a corner. He went off the trail and down an embankment. All I saw was him disappear and his bike flip about 8’ in the air. I ran about 70 yards in full gear trying to get to him as fast as I could. When I got to the top of the embankment, I saw his bike laying in tall grass but, I didn’t see him. I was screaming his name searching the grass and nothing. After about the sixth time yelling, I hear him barely say I’m over here. His helmet was destroyed, goggles crushed as he went head first into a rock pile. I got him up after checking him, carried him to the truck loaded the bikes laying down in back of the truck and blasted to the hospital. He ended up with a really bad concussion and stayed overnight for observation. Not as bad as it could have been but, scary nonetheless. The panic I felt when he didn’t answer me calling his name is something I’ll never forget, yet alone the phone call from the hospital to his mom. Fuck.
We ALL ride because we love it. We risk getting hurt and at times, risk possibly never coming home. I have broken many bones, have hardware but, still ride because it gives me something nothing else can.
Bottom line, my son was more tired then he thought he was. I blame myself for not just calling it a day. If he would’ve died that day I couldn’t imagine. That’s my son. To have a loved one die regardless of doing what they loved, there’s pain, hurt, sorrow, all kinds of emotions. For Ryno to rant on social media about someone’s family member the way he did, it’s disrespectful regardless of the place he was in. It isn’t about him.
Be respectful of a loved one being lost. Compassion gets the point across much better. Apologies but, it made me reflect on something and felt I needed to get it off my chest. For the family and friends of Chris Ow, I’m am so sorry for your loss.
Yeti831
11/6/2020 10:38pm
I want to agree with Ryno but I just can't. Not the best choice of words and definitely not the best timing.

I have a higher chance of some window licker wiping me out of the freeway or walking down the sidewalk than I do dying from MX.

You have one life. Live every moment to it's fullest, never give up and regret nothing.

RIP to Ow, I only pray I can go out doing what I love.
captmoto
11/6/2020 10:56pm
numbers wrote:
I think chance is just saying some riders may be better off riding Vet type tracks until they get a little more up to speed. Nothing...
I think chance is just saying some riders may be better off riding Vet type tracks until they get a little more up to speed. Nothing wrong with staying on easier tracks.
As of 2 weeks ago when I was at GH it was a very benign course. There are no skyshots or 100' triples or giant whoops. It is rough and fast. The wind can give those less skilled (me) fits. Where he crashed along the tower/bleacher section is fairly mellow. It was a moment that happened and cost this poor guy his life. I didn't care at all for the tone Ryno took and seemed to come off like an angry infomercial. I'll have to look at the second video. Vital can be a very unforgiving place. I don't see Ryno being able to walk this back with the guys that are pissed off here.
Kelz87
Fantasy
1372nd
11/6/2020 11:59pm
I had a hard time keeping up with the point of his video. At first I though he was exploiting the guy, although he did make a few good points. Bad timing, but I also know that seeing tragedy can really affect a person. (I saw my dad hurt once and acted very irrational for being a normally laid-back guy.)

I’ve seen pics of Chris Ow riding and he looked like he was no spring chicken on a bike. Sometimes skill has nothing to do with it, and neither does the size of the obstacle. Jessy Nelson’s accident could’ve happened to anyone

Best wishes for his family though ):
Nesta
11/7/2020 2:30am
GrapeApe wrote:
It is possible to be passionate about something, and at the same time be tactful and respectful. Passion is not a license to be an asshole...
It is possible to be passionate about something, and at the same time be tactful and respectful. Passion is not a license to be an asshole. He's making a lot off assumptions about the deceased and the "community" in general. "Fuck you" right back at you.

RIP Chris Ow
RIP Chris

Fuck you Ryno
sandtrack315
11/7/2020 3:44am
He’s right that we should all respect the power newer bikes have and train and practice to be as safe as possible.

He’s an idiot and an asshole for assuming the gentleman that died did not.
RACERX69
11/7/2020 4:08am Edited Date/Time 11/7/2020 4:09am
Ryno needs to go back to his Zen lifestyle of living in Hawaii and bangin out multiple hot fitness chicks at once.
foreman52
Fantasy
3183rd
11/7/2020 4:15am
Tough to watch. I get where Rhyno is coming from, but completely out of context.

It is true that people don’t realize how gnarly this sport is. We’ve all seen beginner adults that get into the sport that end up hurt very quickly because they think they’re invincible and don’t understand proper technique.

It looked like Chris spent his entire life on two wheels. Also looked to be a very skilled rider. This shit can happen anywhere and most of the time it does happen in unusual spots or scenarios.

Rest easy Chris.

Markee
Fantasy
1941st
11/7/2020 4:26am
Chance1216 wrote:
I don’t know why I keep returning to this thread but, after this I’ll step out A few years ago I was riding with my son...
I don’t know why I keep returning to this thread but, after this I’ll step out
A few years ago I was riding with my son. He was 17 at the time. It was late in the day and he wanted me to see how he was progressing and getting used to his bike. He did a couple passes through some whoops by where we parked and, on the last one, he held the throttle open a little too long and didn’t brake early enough to make a corner. He went off the trail and down an embankment. All I saw was him disappear and his bike flip about 8’ in the air. I ran about 70 yards in full gear trying to get to him as fast as I could. When I got to the top of the embankment, I saw his bike laying in tall grass but, I didn’t see him. I was screaming his name searching the grass and nothing. After about the sixth time yelling, I hear him barely say I’m over here. His helmet was destroyed, goggles crushed as he went head first into a rock pile. I got him up after checking him, carried him to the truck loaded the bikes laying down in back of the truck and blasted to the hospital. He ended up with a really bad concussion and stayed overnight for observation. Not as bad as it could have been but, scary nonetheless. The panic I felt when he didn’t answer me calling his name is something I’ll never forget, yet alone the phone call from the hospital to his mom. Fuck.
We ALL ride because we love it. We risk getting hurt and at times, risk possibly never coming home. I have broken many bones, have hardware but, still ride because it gives me something nothing else can.
Bottom line, my son was more tired then he thought he was. I blame myself for not just calling it a day. If he would’ve died that day I couldn’t imagine. That’s my son. To have a loved one die regardless of doing what they loved, there’s pain, hurt, sorrow, all kinds of emotions. For Ryno to rant on social media about someone’s family member the way he did, it’s disrespectful regardless of the place he was in. It isn’t about him.
Be respectful of a loved one being lost. Compassion gets the point across much better. Apologies but, it made me reflect on something and felt I needed to get it off my chest. For the family and friends of Chris Ow, I’m am so sorry for your loss.
Completely agree and understand.

This year I had a good friend pass away. I was ask to speak on his behalf. You know why? Because like Bob PA on here told me one time.. "I'm a insufferable asshole.." One of the perks for being one, is passion. Passion can be a blessing and a curse. In this case with Ryan, you can push people away quick with a simple assumption.

When I spoke for Nick, one thing I drove home, DON"T waste the feelings that everyone of those 200 people where feeling. It's motivation, its fuel, its drive. Use it for good, don't walk away with out action. We all can do better.

That's what I believe Ryan was trying to do, do not waste a possible wake up call. We all know its not black and white right "if I do this, I won't crash". Again, we all can be better. I truly believe that.

Glad I read this thread, picking up my wife's friends kid in a few hours to go ride. I was asked to work with him and his riding. But more so, get him out the house to ride because is dad and step dad are MIA. Debated just keeping the day relaxed or driving in some technique. He is such a new rider, I really need to do both.

RIP Chris

Post a reply to: Ryno's Post about the Sport

The Latest