Ryno and other trainers, are you teaching etiquette?

I am a 41 year old former pro or "A" level rider. I love riding my dirt bike, at this point in my life I cruise at a safe speed and leave my ego back at the truck. I don't take any unnecessary risks, I have a family to provide for and getting injured could end my riding days.

I don't race, no desire to race. I ride track days, nothing relieves stress like a 30 min Moto but I am getting frustrated with kids who train with unqualified trainers and think track days are a chance to practice block passing on "C" riders and Vet riders. After getting stuffed by some 17 year old kid I rode up to him after finishing my 30 min Moto. I was pretty heated, but I tried to speak as rationally as possible. I complimented him on his style, told him he was really fast but asked him if he could stop riding like an asshole? I explained that I had no desire to race him and asked he just leave me alone(I always hold my line and let them ride around me with no challenge). Then his mom shouted "that's Moto, deal with it"... I didn't really have a comeback as I realized how stupid she was(she was proud of her son for riding dirty against a Vet rider who was trying to safely let the kid pass prior to getting stuffed).

After cooling down, everyone had retreated to the pits during a water break, I wanted to know this kids story. We talked, I asked him about his life. He failed to qualify for LL this year in the "B" class(due to an injury he is plenty fast enough). He trains with Ryno in CA. He told me Ryno teaches him high intensity training and that is all he was doing. At this point I asked him if it was his goal to have sponsors and ride pro, he replied "yes ". I asked a rhetorical question about how these sponsors make money and who are their customers? Vet riders, "C" riders, beginners and weekend warriors who pay top dollar for their products. The kid seemed to understand, his mom was just scowling at me...

I hope Ryno and these other "trainers" teach these kids track etiquette along with riding techniques. I might sound like "get off my lawn guy", but while Motocross is insanely fun it is also extremely dangerous. No need to add risk on a practice day to a guy who doesn't even race.
|
plowboy
7/24/2016 12:30pm
I am a 41 year old former pro or "A" level rider. I love riding my dirt bike, at this point in my life I cruise...
I am a 41 year old former pro or "A" level rider. I love riding my dirt bike, at this point in my life I cruise at a safe speed and leave my ego back at the truck. I don't take any unnecessary risks, I have a family to provide for and getting injured could end my riding days.

I don't race, no desire to race. I ride track days, nothing relieves stress like a 30 min Moto but I am getting frustrated with kids who train with unqualified trainers and think track days are a chance to practice block passing on "C" riders and Vet riders. After getting stuffed by some 17 year old kid I rode up to him after finishing my 30 min Moto. I was pretty heated, but I tried to speak as rationally as possible. I complimented him on his style, told him he was really fast but asked him if he could stop riding like an asshole? I explained that I had no desire to race him and asked he just leave me alone(I always hold my line and let them ride around me with no challenge). Then his mom shouted "that's Moto, deal with it"... I didn't really have a comeback as I realized how stupid she was(she was proud of her son for riding dirty against a Vet rider who was trying to safely let the kid pass prior to getting stuffed).

After cooling down, everyone had retreated to the pits during a water break, I wanted to know this kids story. We talked, I asked him about his life. He failed to qualify for LL this year in the "B" class(due to an injury he is plenty fast enough). He trains with Ryno in CA. He told me Ryno teaches him high intensity training and that is all he was doing. At this point I asked him if it was his goal to have sponsors and ride pro, he replied "yes ". I asked a rhetorical question about how these sponsors make money and who are their customers? Vet riders, "C" riders, beginners and weekend warriors who pay top dollar for their products. The kid seemed to understand, his mom was just scowling at me...

I hope Ryno and these other "trainers" teach these kids track etiquette along with riding techniques. I might sound like "get off my lawn guy", but while Motocross is insanely fun it is also extremely dangerous. No need to add risk on a practice day to a guy who doesn't even race.
Yep, yep, and yep. You have more cool than I do. Good job bud.

The Shop

Tpog496
7/24/2016 12:33pm
Ryno is a very calm, collected person.

I'd like to take a moment to remind everybody to pay your bills and don't pick fights with people wearing helmets.
jtiger12
7/24/2016 12:39pm
Vet plates. Black with yellow numbers?
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
7/24/2016 12:48pm
Trainers should do teach respect but the parents are the ones responsible. I would have put a foot in my sons ass, being a decent person is number 1 on or off the track. I have told him 1000 times you cant win practice.
7/24/2016 12:48pm
Just wait for him on the track next session and ghost ride your bike into him alessi style. When mommy comes all apart just explain it was arm pump that made the bike get away from you, way too much intensity during your mid week practice moto.
plowboy
7/24/2016 12:55pm
A little off topic but is Marty Smith still coaching and has anyone attended his school?
7/24/2016 1:02pm
Marty Smith is awesome he came up and did one for PNWVMX (Pacific Northwest vintage) great guy! Seemed to focus on developing individual skills sets and technique rather than block passing. Keep in mind This was for old guys with jobs or even retired riding old bikes that cost more than new bikes for plastic trophys.
7/24/2016 1:08pm
Finally someone wants to talk about this having been on the receiving end of it more than once. It's only freaking practice but these punk d bags act like it's a race and will take you out.

I'm done with it if you can't pass me cleanly then go the f home because your not as good you think you are and I'm to the point of next fool that pulls it on me I'll be parking your ass on or off the track.

I rode Perris raceway on a weekend practice it was just open to any one. I was a little bit put off riding the track at the same time as national pro's thinking oh crap they are going to stuff me all day.

But glad to find out they didn't in fact they never got near me and made clean passes.

But it's common place now if you can't beat them let's just block pass you and take out your front wheel.
DPW
7/24/2016 1:13pm

kzizok wrote:
Such a tool.
love that vid "Ryno power dude"...yup
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
7/24/2016 1:13pm
100% on board with you OP.

I'm a 27 year old track day only rider. I can run with the top B guys for a few laps, and I have the same problem as you.

Guys see my number, and remember who I was 10 years ago and want to bang bars. The big difference is in that they have Xbox and a one hitter to look forward to on Monday, while I'm trying to climb the corporate ladder in a Fortune 300 company.

It's like the 40 year old guy who talks about how great he was in High school football..... that's all he has in life.
7/24/2016 1:29pm
MxKing809 wrote:
100% on board with you OP. I'm a 27 year old track day only rider. I can run with the top B guys for a few...

I'm a 27 year old track day only rider. I can run with the top B guys for a few laps, and I have the same problem as you.

Guys see my number, and remember who I was 10 years ago and want to bang bars. The big difference is in that they have Xbox and a one hitter to look forward to on Monday, while I'm trying to climb the corporate ladder in a Fortune 300 company.

It's like the 40 year old guy who talks about how great he was in High school football..... that's all he has in life.
X2, well said.
chuck317
7/24/2016 1:44pm
MxKing809 wrote:
100% on board with you OP. I'm a 27 year old track day only rider. I can run with the top B guys for a few...

do not be throwing down on the great all bundy from polk high
philG
7/24/2016 1:45pm
I race Moto for fun , and will always race rather than just ride, IMO that is just wasting petrol. I cant mentally get up for riding when there is no gate , and no flag.. i know thats not for everyone, and i appreciate that , but thats how it is.

So guys who ride like there is a $5000 payday when they havent sat behind a gate need a slap.

SCR
7/24/2016 1:52pm
I had the same experience. Raced about 13 years in the 70s and early 80s. Was one of the faster guys on practice days but always passed clean and safe on slow guys.
After long hiatus busy as a single dad, bought a 250 and showed up as a slow 40 yr. Old. Had 3 different guys first few times out stuff or block pass me like they were making a last lap pass for the win. These guys were twice my speed and had room for days to pass. WTF.
Uncle Tony
7/24/2016 1:54pm
We have a lot of asshole parents around here encouraging that kind of behavior at the practice tracks, one of the pricks took my buddy out so bad he had to spend two nights in the hospital, I call those assholes out and let them know their kids are nobodies, f@ck um
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
7/24/2016 1:56pm
Reminds me of a practice at a full on Vintage event. I heard this exchange between a couple riders (both well into their 50's) pitted by us.

Rider 1 to rider 2
"Hey dude, I don't appreciate you ramming into me in the hairpin....for fucks sake it's just practice"

Rider 2 to rider 1
"hey, I used to be a CMC Pro, it's the only way I know how to ride"

I just shook my head and thought what a asshole.

To the OP I think you handled it very well. Most likely the kid isn't bad, it sounds like it is the way he is being raised and trained. More moto parents convinced that their fast B rider will be raking n millions and getting them pit passes n a few years and encouraging him to not be concerned about anyone else
plowboy
7/24/2016 2:06pm
philG wrote:
I race Moto for fun , and will always race rather than just ride, IMO that is just wasting petrol. I cant mentally get up for...
I race Moto for fun , and will always race rather than just ride, IMO that is just wasting petrol. I cant mentally get up for riding when there is no gate , and no flag.. i know thats not for everyone, and i appreciate that , but thats how it is.

So guys who ride like there is a $5000 payday when they havent sat behind a gate need a slap.

I ride EVERY lap and minute at the very edge of my control. If I'm not racing and just burning laps for suspension testing or fitness...I don't mind a little bump and grind but when they try their take out technique I get hot pretty quick. I'm old as dirt and big air and stadium whoops are beyond me but I can carve a corner like a Hollywood plastic surgeon..and my bike is as wide as a semi when I want. Making Johnnie B. Fast look silly trying to pass my old broke down ass is the sweetest revenge.
7/24/2016 2:10pm
Its nothing new, although you usually find the real fast guys can find a way past without any problems, its the weekend warrior wanna-bes that are way over the top on practise days.
hvaughn88
7/24/2016 2:23pm
You should take his mother out to a nice seafood dinner
mxbum
7/24/2016 2:31pm

Tpog496 wrote:
I'd like to take a moment to remind everybody to pay your bills and don't pick fights with people wearing helmets.
Although Ryno didn't seem to mind the comments about paying bills, but as soon as Michael dropped the "P" word, it was on.
bruce
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
7/24/2016 2:46pm
Just wait for him on the track next session and ghost ride your bike into him alessi style. When mommy comes all apart just explain it...
Just wait for him on the track next session and ghost ride your bike into him alessi style. When mommy comes all apart just explain it was arm pump that made the bike get away from you, way too much intensity during your mid week practice moto.
LOL "sorry lady, that's moto, sometimes you gotta ghost ride the whip"
Beast666
7/24/2016 2:57pm
The last time a kid tried to block pass me on a practice track miss timed the pas where he stuffed frint tire between the front and rear of my KX500. I clutched the big bore engine to life felt a bump heard a scream, I looked over my shoulder and saw his RM125 flying through the air. Checked in with the kid in the pits afterwards. His RM needed a new front rim handlebars clutch and seat cover.

Needless to say the kids dad wanted me to pay for the damage. I told the dad to get F%/#/×.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
7/24/2016 3:08pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Serve her a trouser trout?
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
7/24/2016 3:15pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
KennyT wrote:
Serve her a trouser trout?
".... and never call her again" was the correct answer.
7/24/2016 3:20pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2016 3:22pm
It's just easier to not even confront them. Just to let it all go and life will fizzle them out.

Had a dipshit who was a real dick on race day one time. Local race mind you. Doesn't mean shit. In practice he ran me off the track. I let it go. We happened to get staggered together college boy and 25+. So he goes down and I go around him. And then for the next half a lap he continues to panic rev and scream at me to get out of the way. Eff him and his 17 year old punk ass. I'm racing my class I ain't moving over for you because you went down in your moto. He finally gets around me. I went to his truck after the race because I was pissed at how he acted. His mom was same type you described. And then one of his 19 year old groupies decided to get in my face and push me and continue to tell me how I held him up. I just laughed it off and left. They don't get it. They'll be assholes until they grow up a little. I'm sure he will be real nice guy at 30. Just not at 17.

Post a reply to: Ryno and other trainers, are you teaching etiquette?

The Latest