Ryno

tcallahan707
Edited Date/Time 11/1/2017 8:36am
Ryan Hughes doesn’t get enough credit in our sport. I missed his pro years for the most part but I’m very impressed by what the guy has done post career. He’s built multiple successful businesses between his supplements, camps, personal training, training tools, and now team management. Not to mention he has a great instagram if you’re into the self development type stuff, a great family man, and has a son with some real talent on a pedal bike. It’s impressive for any rider to transition to the real world as well as he has but what is really neat is how all of his successes have been motivated by improving our sport and the riders. He preaches safety consistently more than anyone I have come across. He is knowledgeable enough to discuss safety related product design, physiology, and the mental side of things. And the dude tells it like it is. I truly believe if this guy’s voice was louder, the sport (and world) would be better off. People don’t like the truth or no excuses attitude though.

He still effin’ rips on a dirt bike. See below. I’d love to seem him score some points at a national. He’d earn a lot of fans. He also just rode some insane mountain bike race. Don’t know much about it but I know my jaw dropped when I saw the stats. Bottomline....he is a badass.

http://www.motoplayground.com/2018-crf250r-test.html
|
scooter5002
10/30/2017 10:54pm
His record in MMA/boxing, or whatever that was, isn't quite so stellar.
Rockinar
10/31/2017 2:28am
Dude was a beast when he raced. He gave it 110%. Which is about 50% more than kids these days give it. Name one rider that would push his bike up a hill across the finish line if the chain snapped. They would all just drop it in the dirt.

As a person though, I think hes a major a-hole.

The Shop

rmoto003
10/31/2017 3:28am
Mixed opinion over here.

On one hand, I think its crazy that an untamed beast like a Rhinoceros is able to compete at the highest levels of our sport.

On the other hand, it really just goes to show what gods creatures are capable of once we put down the stereotypes. Not many other wild animals have had that kind of success
mx317
10/31/2017 5:13am
Rockinar wrote:
Dude was a beast when he raced. He gave it 110%. Which is about 50% more than kids these days give it. Name one rider that...
Dude was a beast when he raced. He gave it 110%. Which is about 50% more than kids these days give it. Name one rider that would push his bike up a hill across the finish line if the chain snapped. They would all just drop it in the dirt.

^^^this^^^
tcallahan707
10/31/2017 6:10am
Rockinar wrote:
Dude was a beast when he raced. He gave it 110%. Which is about 50% more than kids these days give it. Name one rider that...

Have you met him? I know he has that reputation back in the day but he’s come along way. I did one of his schools a couple years ago and the guy was a genuinely nice dude.
500guy
10/31/2017 8:53am
I've seen times when He was the nicest guy and others when He let his temper go too.

One thing is for certain the guy is one hell of a hard worker and a true competitor , I really admire those qualities.
10/31/2017 8:56am
He is a bad dude. When he tried to race with a cast after breaking his leg the week before. (hell he finished the race he broke his leg in)
Steadman
10/31/2017 10:02am
Ryan Hughes doesn’t get enough credit in our sport. I missed his pro years for the most part but I’m very impressed by what the guy...
Ryan Hughes doesn’t get enough credit in our sport. I missed his pro years for the most part but I’m very impressed by what the guy has done post career. He’s built multiple successful businesses between his supplements, camps, personal training, training tools, and now team management. Not to mention he has a great instagram if you’re into the self development type stuff, a great family man, and has a son with some real talent on a pedal bike. It’s impressive for any rider to transition to the real world as well as he has but what is really neat is how all of his successes have been motivated by improving our sport and the riders. He preaches safety consistently more than anyone I have come across. He is knowledgeable enough to discuss safety related product design, physiology, and the mental side of things. And the dude tells it like it is. I truly believe if this guy’s voice was louder, the sport (and world) would be better off. People don’t like the truth or no excuses attitude though.

He still effin’ rips on a dirt bike. See below. I’d love to seem him score some points at a national. He’d earn a lot of fans. He also just rode some insane mountain bike race. Don’t know much about it but I know my jaw dropped when I saw the stats. Bottomline....he is a badass.

http://www.motoplayground.com/2018-crf250r-test.html
I agree with all of this. I was always a fan of Ryan back in the day and still am now. He really is a bad dude (and I mean that in a good way) I've never seen another rider with more true grit. Pushing that bike up the hill at the end of a moto, taping up a broken jaw and racing, taping a broken leg to run the second moto, breaking his back, the list goes on. I don't know the guy personally but I do know he has gone through a lot of shit in his life and yet here is is still grinding away always trying to improve himself and help improve and inspire others in life. I know this may sound cheesy but sometimes when I'm an hour and a half or two hours into a race (I race a lot of hare scrambles) and hating life and falling off the pace I sometimes ask myself what would Ryan freaking Hughes do? Oh ya he would keep kicking ass and not give up. Gives me that metal boost I need to get over that hump and give it my all. I agree with the OP, he doesn't get enough credit. He's still here in the sport and working hard at it.
IWreckALot
10/31/2017 12:27pm
500guy wrote:
I've seen times when He was the nicest guy and others when He let his temper go too. One thing is for certain the guy is...
I've seen times when He was the nicest guy and others when He let his temper go too.

One thing is for certain the guy is one hell of a hard worker and a true competitor , I really admire those qualities.
This is where I'm at too. I've seen him be very reasonable and rational, and I've seen him be stage 3 clinger crazy. But there's no denying his competitive drive.
mx_563
10/31/2017 12:47pm
Never was a huge fan but since he's mellowed out, I do enjoy checking out his instagram once in a while. He can be somewhat inspirational at times.

But other times he's like "when you have negative thoughts, just like, replace them with positive thoughts". I'm grossly exaggerating but it basically boils down to that a lot of the time. Makes me chuckle. When he's mellow, he's an alright dude, not the sharpest cat, but he's alright.
tcallahan707
10/31/2017 12:53pm
mx_563 wrote:
Never was a huge fan but since he's mellowed out, I do enjoy checking out his instagram once in a while. He can be somewhat inspirational...
Never was a huge fan but since he's mellowed out, I do enjoy checking out his instagram once in a while. He can be somewhat inspirational at times.

But other times he's like "when you have negative thoughts, just like, replace them with positive thoughts". I'm grossly exaggerating but it basically boils down to that a lot of the time. Makes me chuckle. When he's mellow, he's an alright dude, not the sharpest cat, but he's alright.
I agree that at first glance, they seem cheesy sometimes. If you look into mindfulness and meditation, his posts like that make much more sense. I think his meditation practice has increased his emotional intelligence which is a big reason for his mellowing out. I think he's ahead of the curve in this aspect which is why I feel the world would be a better place if we listened to him more.
huck
10/31/2017 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 10/31/2017 1:15pm
I always liked Ryan and admired his 'grit'... but this "I’d love to seem him score some points at a national. He’d earn a lot of fans." is a stretch...
smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
10/31/2017 1:34pm
I met him this summer in Aspen for a mtn bike race he was doing. He couldn't believe how stoked I was to meet him, was super polite/professional and was very rad to my wife.
He was and still is a beast.. his opinion is truly one of kind

tcallahan707
10/31/2017 1:52pm
huck wrote:
I always liked Ryan and admired his 'grit'... but this [i]"I’d love to seem him score some points at a national. He’d earn a lot of...
I always liked Ryan and admired his 'grit'... but this "I’d love to seem him score some points at a national. He’d earn a lot of fans." is a stretch...
You don't think he'd be a threat to get a top 20 or you don't think people would give a shit?
Superdave19
10/31/2017 1:57pm
huck wrote:
I always liked Ryan and admired his 'grit'... but this [i]"I’d love to seem him score some points at a national. He’d earn a lot of...
He tried 6-7 yrs ago (before that knarly crash)- Didn't go well.

I did a school with him back in 03' or 04' @ Elsinore. Seemed cool, but I'd probably be cool too if I was with paying clients. HaHa- This was one on his first schools I believe.

Say what you will, sum bitch is tough as they come. He's got tons of knowledge.

EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
10/31/2017 2:19pm Edited Date/Time 10/31/2017 2:20pm
EDIT: Vid starts at Ryno's segment.
SwingHard
10/31/2017 4:59pm
Rockinar wrote:

Larry Brooks after a HUGE get off!
dirtnapper
10/31/2017 5:14pm
"Dude! What's your problem dude?"

Pinch

That video will always make me NOT a fan of his.
RUTCITY
10/31/2017 5:25pm Edited Date/Time 10/31/2017 5:28pm
DUUUUUUUUUDE

Let that video go for F's sake.

Glad people haven't recorded me at my worst, i would be in some deep doo for some fly off the handle shituationsSick

(he was probably fine tuning ryno power supps. at the time)
NorCal 50+
10/31/2017 6:12pm
EZZA 95B wrote:
EDIT: Vid starts at Ryno's segment.
Thanks for the memories. I must have watched this 50 times. Totally forgot about it.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
10/31/2017 7:43pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Thanks for the memories. I must have watched this 50 times. Totally forgot about it.
No worries, I've already watched it twice today Laughing I still have it on VHS too.
Fourth_Floor
10/31/2017 9:47pm
I guess the real question is, does he still owe money to that dude's dad or did he pay the mother fucker 9 grand?
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
10/31/2017 9:53pm
I guess the real question is, does he still owe money to that dude's dad or did he pay the mother fucker 9 grand?
He used it to start his snake oil business.

Maybe LaPaglia was able to get a free spring loaded MX trainer out of the deal.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
10/31/2017 10:15pm Edited Date/Time 10/31/2017 10:16pm
You mean this? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/10/31/222825/s1200_IMG_9982.jpg[/img]
You mean this?

Yeah, thats it! That was one of the early versions. It was a little down on hp, as in 1hp. But it took fewer dimes to “train” on. So, its got that going for it.

Post a reply to: Ryno

The Latest