Ryan Villopoto: A Champion

TDeath21
2/12/2013 11:48am
It sounded like RV never stopped helping out his parents financially. I think he just dis-invited their presence in his local tribe. At least that was...
It sounded like RV never stopped helping out his parents financially. I think he just dis-invited their presence in his local tribe. At least that was the vibe I got when he said something like, "I'll pay them not to be here.".

And it also *sounded* like he wanted to help his sister have a *normal* life away from the scene when he asked them to go home. *Sounded like*. You know how reality shows can be.

Also very interesting when he said, "I'll walk away from this in a minute.".
Exactly what I thought too. I think he sacrificed seeing his family so she could live a normal life and have both parents around all the time. It's gotta be hard on motocross siblings like that. Really hard actually. Like Tyler said, when his parents realized Ryan had potential to be great, the other two siblings didn't get the attention they needed while growing up. I think Ryan realized that and, for the good of his family, separated himself from them for a few years. Just my opinion anyway.
rollingtach
2/12/2013 12:34pm
[i]Also very interesting when he said, "I'll walk away from this in a minute.". [/i] yeah, I thought, "easy to say now that your set for...

yeah, I thought, "easy to say now that your set for life... " I didn't really get the point he was trying to get across...
I think he's pretty much earned the right to say it. I don't think it's an easy decision to continually risk his health to maintain the level that he and others race at.
shuggs
2/12/2013 12:51pm
I think he's pretty much earned the right to say it. I don't think it's an easy decision to continually risk his health to maintain the...
I think he's pretty much earned the right to say it. I don't think it's an easy decision to continually risk his health to maintain the level that he and others race at.
Def - when you think of the injuries he has had over the past couple of years BUT still comes back for more punishment because IMO that is what SX is, sadly it is also where the big bucks are.
Sparkalounger
2/12/2013 1:26pm
[i]Also very interesting when he said, "I'll walk away from this in a minute.". [/i] yeah, I thought, "easy to say now that your set for...

yeah, I thought, "easy to say now that your set for life... " I didn't really get the point he was trying to get across...
I think he's pretty much earned the right to say it. I don't think it's an easy decision to continually risk his health to maintain the...
I am not picking him apart... i just don't understand the point he was trying to convey...

I just don't see the big deal... It's like playin high stakes poker and being up 10 mil. "I'll walk away, drop it all right now.." ummm, big deal, why not would be the bigger question....

I will watch it again, i must be forgetting the pretence....

The Shop

Crush
2/12/2013 2:36pm

It sounded to me like he was saying it to his Dad in a past argument...
Tumblin
2/12/2013 5:39pm
I spent 4 days at the Villopotos when Ryan won his first SX in Seattle. It was right in the middle of the drama of Ryan separating himself from Dad and Mom. Also leaving trainer Randy Lawrence, hiring a new manager, not only those but add in Ryan’s mechanic had just lost a parent and had to leave Seattle race day, all the while Ryan was growing close with Kristen. The drama was brutal and Mom and Dad were of course concerned with the motives of many of the come late to the party guests Ryan was aligning himself with. Pretty common concern for any parent. Especially when you add in all that money it took to deliver him to Pro Circuit (my words). Along the way Tyler was lost, Kylie left without...add in Uncle of 2's son was sent off to serve in Iraq that same weekend.
There are so many sacrifices a family makes to achieve "the dream" as we've seen in recent documentations. I grew up racing out of Grandpa Fred's shop. He helped his own future son in law Pat Richter to race Trans Ams and Nationals sacrificing much of his own normal family time for that endeavor, it's not their first rodeo. But that's what passion for sport and life does to us. It never really feels like a sacrifice until you take inventory of the costs. Even then it's still a ways out when you look at the life choice experience and growth that's attained from living it. I'm sure there was some resent as attention, money, support can never be truly equally distributed, but racing at that level is all consuming. The Villopotos are a racing Family but I'm sure both immediate and extended have different levels of appreciation for our sport and I certainly can't speak for any of them. However, it looks like Ryan has made the opportunity to help his folks help Tyler get back on track. He's now also a supporter for his sister to attend college. He has in the past employed his cousin, assisted with Grandparents Fred and Fran's ability to travel the country to enjoy his success and their travel desires. Although if you ask any one of them they are all working to help Ryan achieve his success, be it mentor, hugs, cook, dish/clothes washer, running autographs, assisting for will call - wherever and whatever. "Family first" as one well informed poster stated prior...it' resonates with the Villopotos as much as any family I've ever been around. It must be that Italian heritage that's held strong. But it also made it very difficult to seperate when Ryan felt that was the direction he needed to go. The kid's as tough and driven as they come.

I thought it was another excellent and accurate documentation by Troy's crew. Certainly it's hard to tell the whole story, but from what I know, he nailed it.
As far as payback and what's a parent "entitled" to? Nothing, it's a free country and we all have our liberties. But we also have to be respectful of the work and acknowledge the sacrifices generations before provided for these opportunities. Ryan's a third generation racer, they've had a hand in perfecting one of, if not the ultimate Motocrosser of our time. A stong family is always the best tool in our tool chest.
Hut
2/12/2013 5:57pm
Great post.
rucka356
2/12/2013 6:41pm
Linky no work anymore???? Anybody know where i can find this now? Would like to watch it.
observer
2/12/2013 7:07pm
Tumblin wrote:
I spent 4 days at the Villopotos when Ryan won his first SX in Seattle. It was right in the middle of the drama of Ryan...
I spent 4 days at the Villopotos when Ryan won his first SX in Seattle. It was right in the middle of the drama of Ryan separating himself from Dad and Mom. Also leaving trainer Randy Lawrence, hiring a new manager, not only those but add in Ryan’s mechanic had just lost a parent and had to leave Seattle race day, all the while Ryan was growing close with Kristen. The drama was brutal and Mom and Dad were of course concerned with the motives of many of the come late to the party guests Ryan was aligning himself with. Pretty common concern for any parent. Especially when you add in all that money it took to deliver him to Pro Circuit (my words). Along the way Tyler was lost, Kylie left without...add in Uncle of 2's son was sent off to serve in Iraq that same weekend.
There are so many sacrifices a family makes to achieve "the dream" as we've seen in recent documentations. I grew up racing out of Grandpa Fred's shop. He helped his own future son in law Pat Richter to race Trans Ams and Nationals sacrificing much of his own normal family time for that endeavor, it's not their first rodeo. But that's what passion for sport and life does to us. It never really feels like a sacrifice until you take inventory of the costs. Even then it's still a ways out when you look at the life choice experience and growth that's attained from living it. I'm sure there was some resent as attention, money, support can never be truly equally distributed, but racing at that level is all consuming. The Villopotos are a racing Family but I'm sure both immediate and extended have different levels of appreciation for our sport and I certainly can't speak for any of them. However, it looks like Ryan has made the opportunity to help his folks help Tyler get back on track. He's now also a supporter for his sister to attend college. He has in the past employed his cousin, assisted with Grandparents Fred and Fran's ability to travel the country to enjoy his success and their travel desires. Although if you ask any one of them they are all working to help Ryan achieve his success, be it mentor, hugs, cook, dish/clothes washer, running autographs, assisting for will call - wherever and whatever. "Family first" as one well informed poster stated prior...it' resonates with the Villopotos as much as any family I've ever been around. It must be that Italian heritage that's held strong. But it also made it very difficult to seperate when Ryan felt that was the direction he needed to go. The kid's as tough and driven as they come.

I thought it was another excellent and accurate documentation by Troy's crew. Certainly it's hard to tell the whole story, but from what I know, he nailed it.
As far as payback and what's a parent "entitled" to? Nothing, it's a free country and we all have our liberties. But we also have to be respectful of the work and acknowledge the sacrifices generations before provided for these opportunities. Ryan's a third generation racer, they've had a hand in perfecting one of, if not the ultimate Motocrosser of our time. A stong family is always the best tool in our tool chest.
Pfftttt..........there ya have it.
Thanks for chiming in.

I also think Ryan(whole family?) getting right with God-helped turned things around there??
I came away all good with forgiveness & love-conquers all. :-)
Very good doc. My eyes welled up several times in that show.
sparker245
2/12/2013 8:56pm
Tumblin, great insight. Enjoyed the reference to Pat Richter....that guy was a bad ass. Never, ever, ever quit. Fkn Bulldog. Still remember a race at Hangtown Speedway in Placerville around '72 or '73....not the Hangtown National Track, just a little local fairground track....but Richter spanked Brad Lackey bad in both motos on his CZ...Lackey was riding a Husky and was already a legend. I also remember Southern California hot shoes coming to NorCal and getting worked over by Pat Richter. Good memories. Thanks.
Sparkalounger
2/12/2013 9:06pm
Wow Tumblin...now that was a great post.
Thank you.
2/12/2013 9:46pm
Tumblin wrote:
I spent 4 days at the Villopotos when Ryan won his first SX in Seattle. It was right in the middle of the drama of Ryan...

observer wrote:
Pfftttt..........there ya have it. Thanks for chiming in. I also think Ryan(whole family?) getting right with God-helped turned things around there?? I came away all good...
Pfftttt..........there ya have it.
Thanks for chiming in.

I also think Ryan(whole family?) getting right with God-helped turned things around there??
I came away all good with forgiveness & love-conquers all. :-)
Very good doc. My eyes welled up several times in that show.
Man you nailed it. I know that God has really helped strengthen that family, and really after all the drama Hes the only thing that could have brought them together.

I know there were some things that Ryan did that wernt great, but seeing him start following Jesus his family and him got stronger.

Hope for the best with Him and his family.
Tumblin
2/12/2013 10:14pm

I think the point he's making is that it's a very dangerous sport. He said it best, with something like "no other sport can punish you, cripple you or even take your life at any given time as Motocross (or Supercross?), we are always on the fringe of disaster". I probably butchered that, but the intensity he has to ride and train to stay on his game and finish out a season without a season ending or career ending injury seems rediculous. Add in the divide they had in their family and the number of people from sponsors and his team that are connected financially to his performance....it's pretty crazy. Hardcore at such a young age. Ryan knows this financial window is only open so long and that he needs to perform now, but when it's go time it's RV time.

Post a reply to: Ryan Villopoto: A Champion

The Latest