Ryan Smith: Jeans, t-shirt, and supercross

kkawboy14
4/26/2018 12:12pm
Have.....riding pants made to look like jeans......and a riding jersey to look like a cheesy tourist T-shirt. Problem solved!
500guy
4/26/2018 12:20pm
Ryan

if you read this I guess it's settled, next time just show your tits.
Panic_Rev
4/26/2018 12:21pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Have.....riding pants made to look like jeans......and a riding jersey to look like a cheesy tourist T-shirt. Problem solved!
yep, it's that easy to ring up a factory in China and have them run a one of a kind design.
4/26/2018 2:22pm
You guys are kidding yourself if you think this is a professional sport. These riders (talking mainly privateers) buy their own bikes, pay an entry fee to race, pay to get to the race, pay for their own food, buy there own equipment, and put on a show for the fans where they are not guaranteed to make any money.

What other professional sport that has as large of an audience as we do requires that of their athletes. Most other sports offer per diems, provide logistical support, pay their athletes a minimum and more. Feld seems to use them up and spit them out while relying on the factories, gear companies, and everyone else to pay for their athletes.

To me this may be the start of something bigger. If you get more guys to think like him you may some day get to have a union and have it better for all racers, which could help give us better racing to watch.

The Shop

KennyT
Fantasy
280th
4/26/2018 2:38pm
You guys are kidding yourself if you think this is a professional sport. These riders (talking mainly privateers) buy their own bikes, pay an entry fee...
You guys are kidding yourself if you think this is a professional sport. These riders (talking mainly privateers) buy their own bikes, pay an entry fee to race, pay to get to the race, pay for their own food, buy there own equipment, and put on a show for the fans where they are not guaranteed to make any money.

What other professional sport that has as large of an audience as we do requires that of their athletes. Most other sports offer per diems, provide logistical support, pay their athletes a minimum and more. Feld seems to use them up and spit them out while relying on the factories, gear companies, and everyone else to pay for their athletes.

To me this may be the start of something bigger. If you get more guys to think like him you may some day get to have a union and have it better for all racers, which could help give us better racing to watch.
You tend to get paid what you are worth in sports. People don’t pay big $$$ for NBA, Baseball, Football etc to watch the guys on the bench or the practice squads. In this sport that’s where Ryan is. The paying fans don’t know nor care who he is so to Feld it doesn’t matter if he’s unhappy. If the riders don’t like it there are thousands of others that will take their places for the chance to improve and compete against the best. Let’s face it, as talented as Ryan is on a dirt bike there are hundreds of riders capable of being lapped 3 times by the Tomacs of the world and if he wants to step aside because he doesn’t get paid by gear companies then I’m sure some young hotshot will fill his spot on the gate
4/26/2018 4:03pm
GrapeApe wrote:
Never would have guessed that I would come out of a 7 pager about Ryan Smith's jeans, with a greater appreciation for the LPGA. Worthy google...
Never would have guessed that I would come out of a 7 pager about Ryan Smith's jeans, with a greater appreciation for the LPGA. Worthy google image search.
Right you are!
tprice07
4/26/2018 7:55pm
I used to throw down in jeans all the time...
4/27/2018 8:07am
KennyT wrote:
You tend to get paid what you are worth in sports. People don’t pay big $$$ for NBA, Baseball, Football etc to watch the guys on...
You tend to get paid what you are worth in sports. People don’t pay big $$$ for NBA, Baseball, Football etc to watch the guys on the bench or the practice squads. In this sport that’s where Ryan is. The paying fans don’t know nor care who he is so to Feld it doesn’t matter if he’s unhappy. If the riders don’t like it there are thousands of others that will take their places for the chance to improve and compete against the best. Let’s face it, as talented as Ryan is on a dirt bike there are hundreds of riders capable of being lapped 3 times by the Tomacs of the world and if he wants to step aside because he doesn’t get paid by gear companies then I’m sure some young hotshot will fill his spot on the gate
I would agree with you right now. Although in the future there may not be lots of kids lining up to take his place. In fact there were only 35 riders in Boston. That's not typical at all the races, but what if it was? Feld has to start listening to ALL of it's riders and not just the teams and stars. Otherwise they may dry up the well of riders wanting to be on the big stage.

They need to have a long term vision for the sport or we will die within the next 10 years. With the cost of healthcare sky rocketing every year, when will the parents of these kids tell them they can't insure them anymore? No insurance may mean no racing. I wonder how many of the racers under 26 are still on their parents insurance?

I know it's sort of off topic, but to me this is what Ryan was making a statement about. The industry needs these riders just as much as the riders need the industry. Nothing is free so why not try to make things better. The guys making all the money don't want to rock the boat. The fringe guys that may fill in or get a factory ride won't because it may limit where they can go, so it's only these guys at Ryan's level that can make statements like this and try to get change started. Without them, you'll have 15 - 20 person gates every week.
StretchASU
4/27/2018 8:10am
Still getting bumped to the top of the board daily...it worked...
MohMoto14
4/27/2018 9:04am
peelout wrote:
go ahead and google Paige Spiranac, bonus points if you include Sports Illustrated Swimsuit shoot.

you're welcome
So talented. she has undoubtedly dropped a few strokes off every man's game that's graced with her presence.

Does Wal-Mart sell golf clubs and that edition of sports illustrated? Asking for a friend.
MohMoto14
4/27/2018 9:15am
My dad always rode and raced in jeans. Needed pockets bc it's hard to fish a pack of kools out of a pair of boots on the fly. Hot ticket is buy the soft pack, they bend in your pocket and hard pack breaks.

The More You Know!
MohMoto14
4/27/2018 9:47am
GrapeApe wrote:
Would it be better if he was in business casual, maybe slacks and a golf shirt?
dboivin wrote:
i think he should wear a suit or a tux
RupertX already did it. D11 1990's yo. He also geared up appropriately for the holidays if I remember right, it's been a while. I believe I have a picture buried somewhere or at least I used to. Maybe Rup can restore my memory.

Ryan should wear the jeans again but this time put some chaps on over them or even some assless chaps without the jeans if he prefers. That may solve his problem and pull in LBGTQ viewers and support or possibly even sponsorship! Ha Ha
mxpro252
4/27/2018 9:51am
peelout wrote:
go ahead and google Paige Spiranac, bonus points if you include Sports Illustrated Swimsuit shoot.

you're welcome
MohMoto14 wrote:
So talented. she has undoubtedly dropped a few strokes off every man's game that's graced with her presence. Does Wal-Mart sell golf clubs and that edition...
So talented. she has undoubtedly dropped a few strokes off every man's game that's graced with her presence.

Does Wal-Mart sell golf clubs and that edition of sports illustrated? Asking for a friend.
Truly an inspiration. I just completed a round in the fewest strokes ever.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
4/27/2018 10:21am
peelout wrote:
[img]https://imageresizer.static9.net.au/nB3zazU8OoaRI9pCGpyFZ0hNe_I=/1000x562/http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F02%2F02%2F16%2F13%2F0202_spirinac_1000_e.jpg[/img]
Makes me forget about the old “dikes n spikes” label from years ago. Some of today’s lady golfers are in outstanding condition and care about the package they put on the course. Something about a girl with a club in her hands makes them even more attractive

Back to Ryan. Would he be better off wearing his favorite gear and then composing an intelligent letter to that gear rep and ask them for some sponsorship? I just don’t see the jeans accomplishing anything to reach his goal
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
4/27/2018 10:25am
KennyT wrote:
You tend to get paid what you are worth in sports. People don’t pay big $$$ for NBA, Baseball, Football etc to watch the guys on...
I would agree with you right now. Although in the future there may not be lots of kids lining up to take his place. In fact...
I would agree with you right now. Although in the future there may not be lots of kids lining up to take his place. In fact there were only 35 riders in Boston. That's not typical at all the races, but what if it was? Feld has to start listening to ALL of it's riders and not just the teams and stars. Otherwise they may dry up the well of riders wanting to be on the big stage.

They need to have a long term vision for the sport or we will die within the next 10 years. With the cost of healthcare sky rocketing every year, when will the parents of these kids tell them they can't insure them anymore? No insurance may mean no racing. I wonder how many of the racers under 26 are still on their parents insurance?

I know it's sort of off topic, but to me this is what Ryan was making a statement about. The industry needs these riders just as much as the riders need the industry. Nothing is free so why not try to make things better. The guys making all the money don't want to rock the boat. The fringe guys that may fill in or get a factory ride won't because it may limit where they can go, so it's only these guys at Ryan's level that can make statements like this and try to get change started. Without them, you'll have 15 - 20 person gates every week.
I definitely see your point and completely agree that the fields will continue to shrink if the payoff is not worth the risk.

But will it affect the sport at all? I don’t think so. Look at F1....20 or so cars on the grid. NASCAR lines up with 40 and there r 10 of those that should not even be on the track. You don’t necessarily need quantity to make a sport work, it’s more about the quality. The gap between the haves n have nots at a SX race is way too large

Post a reply to: Ryan Smith: Jeans, t-shirt, and supercross

The Latest