Ryan Smith: Jeans, t-shirt, and supercross

tcallahan707
4/23/2018 7:54am
dirtmike86 wrote:
Is it ok if i gave him "proper" gear but it was just a huge picture of my face on it? You know, for me sponsoring...
Is it ok if i gave him "proper" gear but it was just a huge picture of my face on it? You know, for me sponsoring him.
I made that deal with a mx buddy who was gonna race some professional downhill. It was a stache/mullet photo he was gonna have to iron on his jersey. He got hurt before the season. Zero return on investment.
GregDVT
4/23/2018 8:15am
This is the same guy that runs lake sugar tree in VA right? I’ve heard amazing things about that place.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
4/23/2018 8:27am
I rode a pro downhill mtb national in jeans years ago, he's biting my style!

The Shop

MR. X
4/23/2018 8:36am
Who gives a shit what he wears ,pants and a shirt with boots ,gloves and helmet . Some of you are so hung up on image it's ridiculous.
APLMAN99
4/23/2018 8:58am
Is there an “Approved Apparel” list for 2018 yet? Do the gear manufacturers have to submit every line and color combo for homologation? Do they need to go through tech inspection before and after the race? If it’s an “appearance” issue, can riders protest some of the ugly gear that we have to see?
motomike137
4/23/2018 9:11am
I'll probably regret even responding to this post but I want to clear a few things up. I've read through some of the posts, and want...
I'll probably regret even responding to this post but I want to clear a few things up.

I've read through some of the posts, and want to give everyone a little insight on my situation.

I raced professionally from 2008-2012, off and on due to injury, and I made a handful of 250 main events in that span as well as tons of outdoor nationals. At the end of 2012 I had to get surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff. December of 2012 I lost my father to cancer and it took a toll on me as it would anyone and I decided to take some time away from riding. I rode here and there, hit a SX or two, but realistically wasn't "in it". From 2015--December of 2017 I probably rode 5-10 times if that, mostly putting around on someones bike. A good friend of mine had a 2012 Suzuki 250F, he said take it this weekend and race....So I did...and honestly haven't really stopped since. It has been good to just ride again and actually have fun with it. A local group put together "LA Racing" and bought me a 2018 Yamaha 450 to ride as well as my teammate Mario Testa. The goal was to ride some Supercross if we were ready. From December to now, from 205lbs to 170lbs, damn it feels good to just get back out there. Am I back to form? Absolutely NOT. Are we working towards it? Yes. I have a great support system and sponsors that have backed me since I was a kid, I have always had an odd way of getting exposure for them. And that is what brought the Jeans/Tshirt idea up.....

After deciding to run a few rounds to get my feet wet again, we made the decision if I made a night show, we weren't running gear to give some company the exposure if we were to get coverage. What is the first thing you see when you look at a rider besides his bike? Whatever is on their chest, Fox,Fly, Oneal...ETC... And believe it or not, there is quite a few riders making main events that have a gear deal at 50% off...The same thing our local 250 C mid packer gets off Hookit... These kids are PAYING for the companies to get exposure on Live TV. It is a win win for that company. The riders need to realize they have to market themselves better, there are ways to make money besides purse money. Look at what Leib did a few years ago with the all white gear.(Now Canvas MX) 2-3 races later AXO picked him up and sent him a check. Imagine if he showed up in (purchased) AXO gear, 2-3 races later he would've still been wearing(Purchased) AXO gear. Why would they want to pay him or give him free gear if he is buying it anyway? How is Fly suppose to know he is buying gear? They wouldn't reach out mid season to sign him....
This is just one example but many could be made.

It is my opinion, some may call me a jackass, some may agree. I will not wear a brand at my cost to get them free exposure on Live TV. Feld can ban me from the building before the LCQ for wearing jeans, but what they couldn't do is take that 1 minute and 3 seconds of Live coverage back. LA Racing, Triangle Cycles, Total Control Suspension, Scott Goggles, Arai Helmets, Yoshimura, Liquid Performance, Austin Edwards and Veteran MX Foundation got that exposure all because I was different, not because I was fast. How many minutes of coverage did Peick, Brayton, Stewart, Bowers, or Friese get last night? Privateers BE DIFFERENT.

Thank you for the support from the haters and lovers.
Ryan Smith #831
Friggin awesome.
byke
4/23/2018 9:47am
If it meets the rules as far as I'm concerned end of discussion who is any one of us to say what he can or can't...
If it meets the rules as far as I'm concerned end of discussion who is any one of us to say what he can or can't wear!!
Because Feld thinks it's more professional to spitefully keep him from racing for wearing legal gear they don't like. That's the delicious irony here, complaining about professionalism while being far more unprofessional.
4/23/2018 10:35am
Friggin awesome.
AS64 wrote:
x2 Smile
X3. I also had never heard of you and now have. And Didn't Pastrana do the double backflip on national TV for the masses with Tony Hawk and I think Obama and shit watching -wearing the Thor Lumberjack gear which was jeans and a flannel. Ronnie Mac reference next. Then next year we let this fly and Roczen has to elevate it further at the presser and shows up in a dress suit that looks like jeans but is actually riding gear. It's madness.
Ducon39
4/24/2018 6:09am
Making the night program is a good accomplishment, making the main is even more impressive. How to make the night program? Well, plain and simple: be among the 40 fastest riders during qualifying times. How did Ryan Smith did it? Well, 35 entries in the 450 class … everyone makes it Smile (it’s like the pee wee class where everyone gets a trophy). His fastest lap time: 1:01.839 (Tomac on pole with 52.536). Everyone is talking about a professional sport, how about Formula 1, can’t get any more professional than that, can it? Ever heard about the 107% rule (google it)? Ryan’s lap time was at 129% from Tomac's … send him home!
Now, how about the night program? Heat 2: 16th out of 18 behind the gate … 17th and 18th did only 4 laps and 2 laps, respectively. LCQ? Well … you know what happened.
With such credentials, I bet that all gears companies will be knocking at the door to sign a multi millions $ contract with him.
So Ryan, get a set of gears (at a discounted price) or ask your buddies from LA Racing to buy you some for Christmas. Or like Fourth_Floor says … Twist the fucking throttle more.
One last question: why did you wear a Jean? Did the company (Levi’s, Wrangler etc…) give you them for free, or did you buy them? If the latter, make a point next time by riding naked.
huck
4/24/2018 6:22am
So some of you are bitching that he wore jeans, while thinking it's cool for somebody to ride an outdated 2 stroke?

If he wants to wear jeans, let him. He didn't break any rules. If that's how he 'markets' himself, I see no problem.
dc444
Fantasy
1451st
4/24/2018 6:22am
Ducon39 wrote:
Making the night program is a good accomplishment, making the main is even more impressive. How to make the night program? Well, plain and simple: be...
Making the night program is a good accomplishment, making the main is even more impressive. How to make the night program? Well, plain and simple: be among the 40 fastest riders during qualifying times. How did Ryan Smith did it? Well, 35 entries in the 450 class … everyone makes it Smile (it’s like the pee wee class where everyone gets a trophy). His fastest lap time: 1:01.839 (Tomac on pole with 52.536). Everyone is talking about a professional sport, how about Formula 1, can’t get any more professional than that, can it? Ever heard about the 107% rule (google it)? Ryan’s lap time was at 129% from Tomac's … send him home!
Now, how about the night program? Heat 2: 16th out of 18 behind the gate … 17th and 18th did only 4 laps and 2 laps, respectively. LCQ? Well … you know what happened.
With such credentials, I bet that all gears companies will be knocking at the door to sign a multi millions $ contract with him.
So Ryan, get a set of gears (at a discounted price) or ask your buddies from LA Racing to buy you some for Christmas. Or like Fourth_Floor says … Twist the fucking throttle more.
One last question: why did you wear a Jean? Did the company (Levi’s, Wrangler etc…) give you them for free, or did you buy them? If the latter, make a point next time by riding naked.
I guess his plan worked since you do not know the brand of jeans. If he was wearing gear, you would know the brand from every direction. Taking shots at his times and finishing positions are comical, he was on TV more than 50% of the others!
Fourth_Floor
4/24/2018 6:36am
Whelp, I showed up to work yesterday just wearing a thong and got sent home with the message to not return until I want to look and act like a professional...Fucking bullshit because I have to buy my own work clothes to make someone else money in.
Ducon39
4/24/2018 7:24am
Ducon39 wrote:
Making the night program is a good accomplishment, making the main is even more impressive. How to make the night program? Well, plain and simple: be...
dc444 wrote:
I guess his plan worked since you do not know the brand of jeans. If he was wearing gear, you would know the brand from every...
I guess his plan worked since you do not know the brand of jeans. If he was wearing gear, you would know the brand from every direction. Taking shots at his times and finishing positions are comical, he was on TV more than 50% of the others!
Well, I guess there are many options to get TV time ...

brocster
4/24/2018 7:53am
Good on you Ryan. When a card carrying pro athlete can’t get “flowed/hooked up” with some free gear but your local “has been” and “C” class destroyer are getting free “kits” there is a reason for showing up on PRIMETIME national television with jeans and a T Shirt.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
4/24/2018 10:37am
Adam43 wrote:
I'm sure you wear a suit while interviewing riders?
No, but you may be surprised to know that photographers actually have a dress code this season for Supercross.
Roostermx58
4/24/2018 1:06pm
Good on you Ryan. Keep doing your thing.
peelout
4/24/2018 1:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/24/2018 1:21pm
he said in the video getting on tv in jeans and a shirt was the goal.

not hating here, but the goal should be making the main broseph, looking somewhat professional in a professional sport should be part of that goal.

think you'll ever see a PGA guy show up in shorts and a tank-top? hell no, and the tour wouldn't allow it anyway.

4/24/2018 1:53pm
I guess Feld is having an issue with the monkeys and elephants misbehaving again. Evil
4/24/2018 1:58pm
peelout wrote:
he said in the video getting on tv in jeans and a shirt was the goal. not hating here, but the goal should be making the...

not hating here, but the goal should be making the main broseph, looking somewhat professional in a professional sport should be part of that goal.

think you'll ever see a PGA guy show up in shorts and a tank-top? hell no, and the tour wouldn't allow it anyway.

I present John Daly.Whistling

U.S. Open winner, gambler, drunk, redneck for your inspection.

wardy
4/24/2018 10:50pm
Adam43 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
No, but you may be surprised to know that photographers actually have a dress code this season for Supercross.
Funny. 100% of these riders come from "local" races, and the rules for the "big" show are pretty similar if not exactly the same. ( i am guessing since i didn't look it up but it was stated in here)

so who's fault is that? It's Feld's "show" right? They have the rules in place which were not broken, stated in here numerous times.

They can simply change the rule/guideline etc. They made if for photo guys, but nothing new for riders? and a rider does this and he is the bad guy?

Maybe some folks should look in the mirror and see if they didn't act like children, by not letting him into the track area. If they didn't want him on TV, maybe they should also control that part of the business better.

This rider made a statement and I for one applaud him for that, he has a valid point. For the ones in here stating the rider is at fault or that he should "get in line"............................... why? Isn't this sport about the individual?

He paid to race this race, and he followed the rules for that event. There is no gray area there. The rest that happened that night is childish crap which just made the people who made those decisions look bad.

Asimo
4/24/2018 10:58pm
peelout wrote:
he said in the video getting on tv in jeans and a shirt was the goal. not hating here, but the goal should be making the...

calcoast
4/24/2018 11:49pm
I love how anytime anybody talks about gear, TLD polka dots and Thor cats always get brought up. That’s exactly what they wanted.
kkawboy14
4/25/2018 12:21am Edited Date/Time 4/25/2018 12:21am
Adam43 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
No jeans?

Those jeans that rider is wearing cost more than Alias riding pants! Did he take the logo off of his jeans?
BMR179
Fantasy
1240th
4/25/2018 8:46am
I applaud Ryan Smith!!! He gets it and I am now a fan.

The bottom line question is, why would anyone in his position pay a company to advertise for said company? The correct answers are ignorance and ego.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
4/25/2018 8:58am
He'd still have to wear some gear company's plain white gear (CanvasMX, etc). It would still be free advertising for said company. I think your other...
He'd still have to wear some gear company's plain white gear (CanvasMX, etc). It would still be free advertising for said company.

I think your other point is right, though. I think there are gear companies out there that would love to hand over a free set even to guys not making the night show. Wondering if he tried that but was turned away?
aedwards07 wrote:
He did try at the beginning of the year to multiple companies and was turned away. But if anyone wants to help out Ryan his email...
He did try at the beginning of the year to multiple companies and was turned away. But if anyone wants to help out Ryan his email is champion931@yahoo.com.

Ryan is Gary Bailey’s nephew.
I’m all for helping privateers in need but not this guy. His excuse is ridiculous. So anyone who wears any piece of clothing in public with a emblem should be getting it for free because we are advertising for said company? Believe me more people would see me in a mall with a Fox shirt on then people that will be focusing on a backmarker at a SX. Start winning and you will get free stuff....guaranteed
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
4/25/2018 9:12am
Would it be better if he was in business casual, maybe slacks and a golf shirt?
dboivin
4/25/2018 9:13am
GrapeApe wrote:
Would it be better if he was in business casual, maybe slacks and a golf shirt?
i think he should wear a suit or a tux

Post a reply to: Ryan Smith: Jeans, t-shirt, and supercross

The Latest