Ryan Smith: Jeans, t-shirt, and supercross

aedwards07
4/21/2018 7:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2018 12:54pm
Just got off the phone with my buddy Ryan Smith and apparently Feld is not very pumped on him racing in jeans. They were not going to let him race the lcq in them. I think it’s a load of crap that they can take him money, Gallagher from the Ama approves them, and then Feld decides they do not want him to race any longer. With him being a friend i am bias but why not? Here is the link to his video on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/111126358205/videos/10157354792438206/
|
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1185th
4/21/2018 7:42pm
Didn't he try to do that a few years ago also?
ML512
Fantasy
32nd
4/21/2018 7:45pm
Just wear plain white gear...this seems like such a pointless uphill battle. I think it was Clason I saw mention this on Twitter, Ralph says how these guys are the greatest SX riders on the planet...then hey look who's in jeans and a T-shirt...

So professional... Laughing
aedwards07
4/21/2018 7:47pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2018 7:48pm
He did at Daytona. He’s had the jeans with him this year for the few races he’s tried but didn’t want to bust them out until the night show. He’s steadily been knocking the rust off this year.

ML, is cat gear any less professional?

tobz
4/21/2018 7:47pm
Whining about something pretty pointless really, It's a professional sport, make an effort to look professional.

The Shop

JM485
4/21/2018 7:48pm
In a sport where everyone takes themselves WAY to seriously, we need a hero who shows up in jeans to bring everyone back down to reality a bit.Laughing
aedwards07
4/21/2018 7:50pm
It’s not about that. It’s about the fact that Ryan didn’t think he should have to pay for gear to advertise for the gear brand on national tv.
yak651
Fantasy
167th
4/21/2018 7:52pm
So the gear everyone is buying provides more protection than his "kit"? It meets the rules, let him run it.
ML512
Fantasy
32nd
4/21/2018 7:54pm
aedwards07 wrote:
It’s not about that. It’s about the fact that Ryan didn’t think he should have to pay for gear to advertise for the gear brand on...
It’s not about that. It’s about the fact that Ryan didn’t think he should have to pay for gear to advertise for the gear brand on national tv.
Back to my original suggestion, plain white gear. And if the guy is making night shows, he can get some free gear...tell him go hit up FXR, Andy would be happy to help him out.
aedwards07
4/21/2018 7:59pm
ML512 wrote:
Back to my original suggestion, plain white gear. And if the guy is making night shows, he can get some free gear...tell him go hit up...
Back to my original suggestion, plain white gear. And if the guy is making night shows, he can get some free gear...tell him go hit up FXR, Andy would be happy to help him out.
I know a few gear companies offered him discounts on gear but he was still paying for it as there was zero free gear offered by anyone.
GuyB
Fantasy
1315th
4/21/2018 8:02pm
JM485 wrote:
In a sport where everyone takes themselves WAY to seriously, we need a hero who shows up in jeans to bring everyone back down to reality...
In a sport where everyone takes themselves WAY to seriously, we need a hero who shows up in jeans to bring everyone back down to reality a bit.Laughing
Then do it at a local race.
ML512
Fantasy
32nd
4/21/2018 8:05pm
ML512 wrote:
Back to my original suggestion, plain white gear. And if the guy is making night shows, he can get some free gear...tell him go hit up...
aedwards07 wrote:
I know a few gear companies offered him discounts on gear but he was still paying for it as there was zero free gear offered by...
I know a few gear companies offered him discounts on gear but he was still paying for it as there was zero free gear offered by anyone.
One call, I had a privateer a boot deal this year...one call, I had another gear...it's quite easy if he's making night shows. I'm sure there's many parts on his bike he purchased and he's still running their logos, how about the boots?

Sorry if this one comes across as rude, I just think it's a wee-bit ridiculous. It's a professional sport, there's not many at this level that would allow an athlete to show up and wear jeans when there's protection and a certain standard of gear to run.
yak651
Fantasy
167th
4/21/2018 8:08pm
Heck Dungey wore jeans on a Wheaties box, mainstream America probably thinks this is standard attire!
Asimo
4/21/2018 8:08pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2018 8:09pm
He needs a sponsor by Robin, Levis, or

JustMX
4/21/2018 8:16pm
ML512 wrote:
aedwards07 wrote:
I know a few gear companies offered him discounts on gear but he was still paying for it as there was zero free gear offered by...
It isn't like he doesn't have the money to buy freaking gear.

His grandfather (Gary bailey's brother bob) has deep pockets and I don't think Ryan has wanted for much.

I thought it was pretty cheesy that they even showed him on tv. Feld has gone a long way to make the sport look more professional and Ryan wants to pull a dweeb move like this.

It is like showing a rider pitch a hissy fit. Not what we need to take the sport up a notch on live major network tv.
mb
4/21/2018 8:17pm
I would do the same thing. On national television regardless if you're in the "night show" or not. If they want to cry about it they can change the rules.
TXDirt
4/21/2018 8:26pm
Forum admins telling rider what color gear is acceptable to wear.
Adam43
4/21/2018 8:30pm
GuyB wrote:
Then do it at a local race.
I'm sure you wear a suit while interviewing riders?
yak651
Fantasy
167th
4/21/2018 8:32pm
mb wrote:
I would do the same thing. On national television regardless if you're in the "night show" or not. If they want to cry about it they...
I would do the same thing. On national television regardless if you're in the "night show" or not. If they want to cry about it they can change the rules.
Yeah wonder why they let them run that on TV if they were so upset about it? Hope they gave him a refund of his entrance fees if they kicked him out.
4/21/2018 8:33pm
ML512 wrote:
Just wear plain white gear...this seems like such a pointless uphill battle. I think it was Clason I saw mention this on Twitter, Ralph says how...
Just wear plain white gear...this seems like such a pointless uphill battle. I think it was Clason I saw mention this on Twitter, Ralph says how these guys are the greatest SX riders on the planet...then hey look who's in jeans and a T-shirt...

He'd still have to wear some gear company's plain white gear (CanvasMX, etc). It would still be free advertising for said company.

I think your other point is right, though. I think there are gear companies out there that would love to hand over a free set even to guys not making the night show. Wondering if he tried that but was turned away?
jeffro503
4/21/2018 8:35pm
ML512 wrote:
aedwards07 wrote:
JustMX wrote:
It isn't like he doesn't have the money to buy freaking gear. His grandfather (Gary bailey's brother bob) has deep pockets and I don't think Ryan...
It isn't like he doesn't have the money to buy freaking gear.

His grandfather (Gary bailey's brother bob) has deep pockets and I don't think Ryan has wanted for much.

I thought it was pretty cheesy that they even showed him on tv. Feld has gone a long way to make the sport look more professional and Ryan wants to pull a dweeb move like this.

It is like showing a rider pitch a hissy fit. Not what we need to take the sport up a notch on live major network tv.
Ryan is related to the Bailey's? Hmmm.....I did not know that.
4/21/2018 8:37pm
Next thing you know the AMA will be telling riders they have to wear leathers instead of nylon pants.

Oh wait, they did that already back in the 70's.WhistlingWhistlingDry

Sometimes it helps to know the history of the sport, how we got here, and why nothing that happens on race day is really a surprise to some of us.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1185th
4/21/2018 8:40pm
yak651 wrote:
Yeah wonder why they let them run that on TV if they were so upset about it? Hope they gave him a refund of his entrance...
Yeah wonder why they let them run that on TV if they were so upset about it? Hope they gave him a refund of his entrance fees if they kicked him out.
He raced the LCQ, he was wearing green pants with the white shirt.
mb60
4/21/2018 8:41pm
My opinion does not mean much but here it goes either way. The guy is a ama pro correct ? Then show up and act like one in my opinion. You must have some kind sponsor tp help you out for a sx race. What point is he trying to prove ??
KirkChandler
Fantasy
425th
4/21/2018 8:41pm
ML512 wrote:
Just wear plain white gear...this seems like such a pointless uphill battle. I think it was Clason I saw mention this on Twitter, Ralph says how...

Exactly.
aedwards07
4/21/2018 8:43pm
He'd still have to wear some gear company's plain white gear (CanvasMX, etc). It would still be free advertising for said company. I think your other...
He'd still have to wear some gear company's plain white gear (CanvasMX, etc). It would still be free advertising for said company.

I think your other point is right, though. I think there are gear companies out there that would love to hand over a free set even to guys not making the night show. Wondering if he tried that but was turned away?
He did try at the beginning of the year to multiple companies and was turned away. But if anyone wants to help out Ryan his email is champion931@yahoo.com.

Ryan is Gary Bailey’s nephew.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1185th
In his Facebook vid he says he had regular riding pants in his van, he quickly went and put them on so he could race.
Pretty odd.
yak651
Fantasy
167th
mb60 wrote:
My opinion does not mean much but here it goes either way. The guy is a ama pro correct ? Then show up and act like...
My opinion does not mean much but here it goes either way. The guy is a ama pro correct ? Then show up and act like one in my opinion. You must have some kind sponsor tp help you out for a sx race. What point is he trying to prove ??
That gear companies are getting free exposure at the privateers expense, similar to what MCR did when they weren't getting any factory support and said they were running a MCR bike instead of Honda or Suzuki
mb60
4/21/2018 8:52pm
At the privateers expense really? I'm a 40 year old vet rider nearly 50 and anything given to me for free or at a discount is much appreciated. Gtf out of here with privateer expense. Lmao
Lightning78
4/21/2018 8:52pm
JM485 wrote:
In a sport where everyone takes themselves WAY to seriously, we need a hero who shows up in jeans to bring everyone back down to reality...
Then Ronnie Mac must be the anti-christ lol for crying out loud this uproar is ridiculous almost as ridiculous as the Uproar everybody's having over the Marvin and Eli pass that shit is borderline insanity Marvin was clearly going for the win and aside from a few cross jumping incidence has no history of taking anybody out I'm not a fan of either writer but they need to let bygones be bygones neither one even have a real mathematical chance at the title after Anderson just starts the main event next weekend Marvin went for the win and that's it because he left the door open
TbonesPop
Fantasy
446th
4/21/2018 8:55pm
Rules are rules. Play by the rules and if he did and you don't like it, then work to change the rules. Pretty simple really. Personal opinions on the matter are going to vary just like everything else in the world. Bottom line is, was it within the rules? If so, let it go. Don't agree, that's fine. But take it up with the people who make the rules.

Post a reply to: Ryan Smith: Jeans, t-shirt, and supercross

The Latest