Ryan Hughes: Steel City 1995. The untold story

Related:
Create New Tag

8/23/2018 8:58 AM

Openwheel racer wrote:

Thanks Brett for the really cool article. I was in the pits wrenching that weekend and had a front row seat.

As I recall the ...more

Brett Smith wrote:

Wow, there might be 5 people in the world that actually know/remember that I raced exactly one AMA Pro Motocross race. You're ...more

Openwheel racer wrote:

Brett, your memory is very sharp. This is "guy named Joe". I moved this spring from MI to NC. It was my bike Chris was riding ...more

I see Chris every week at our local track still hauling ass. Dude is still ripping hard.

|

8/23/2018 10:37 AM

Great read! Highly recommend.

|

"Keep it Steazy"

8/23/2018 11:12 AM

I guess I had grown up with lies. 95 was barely before my time as far as watching every race. I was only 4. But I had always assumed the broken chain cost him a championship and that’s why it was so iconic. The broken chain cost him and he pushed the bike up the hill anyway. This makes me feel much better for him knowing that the chain essentially only cost him two points and not the championship.

|

8/24/2018 11:43 AM

Openwheel racer wrote:

Thanks Brett for the really cool article. I was in the pits wrenching that weekend and had a front row seat.

As I recall the ...more

Brett Smith wrote:

Wow, there might be 5 people in the world that actually know/remember that I raced exactly one AMA Pro Motocross race. You're ...more

Openwheel racer wrote:

Brett, your memory is very sharp. This is "guy named Joe". I moved this spring from MI to NC. It was my bike Chris was riding ...more

OMG. Joe!

You know, when I hit send on that message I had a feeling that I might be replying to you. I thought that was Chris' bike that I rode. Yes, I do remember cat walking that thing all the way to the first corner now! ha ha. She ran crisp, I remember that, too.

I also remember waking up in the back of the van on the way to the track Sunday morning and hearing a reporter break in to the radio coverage to say "Princess Diana is dead."

Send me a DM on Instagram (@wewentfast) or at Facebook.com/wewentfast. Let's catch up.

|

8/24/2018 11:45 AM

TDeath21 wrote:

I guess I had grown up with lies. 95 was barely before my time as far as watching every race. I was only 4. But I had always ...more

Thanks for reading, TDeath!

Yes, I heard from several guys that they've also seen the legend grow into what you just described. Glad to set you straight. What other fake news can I help you dispel? ha ha.

-b

|