Ryan Dungey is an enigma wrapped in a conundrum.

McG194
Edited Date/Time 6/13/2022 5:03am
I'm not a fan of any particular rider, anyone racing pro moto or SX is a pure badass as far as I'm concerned.

With that being said I usually watch or pull for the guy who does the things that no one else is willing to do guys like Stew, MC or back in the day no matter what place Guy Cooper was in I was watching and cheering him on. I also like guys that have a great personality, guys like Fro, Deano, Jett or even Mossiman is a bit out there.

The point I'm getting to is Dungey is one of the most boring racers in both riding style and interviews in a long time. The only really wild riding I've ever seen from him is the famous hand shift. He's never going to be the fastest guy or blow you away with crazy jumps he just was either winning or putting it on the box like a machine. It's almost stupid to say but I'll be shocked if he doesn't win a few races this summer and compete for the title even though he has no right to do so. So, the dude is boring and not fun to watch but I've been pulling for him since he hit the 450 class.

Anyone else have a rider that they don't know why they like so much?
|
AH387
6/8/2022 11:11am
I think sometimes Dungey doesn't get enough credit for his speed. I sort of hate that he has this label or reputation of being just boring and consistent. The reason he is so "boring" is more just his efficiency. Also, to be able to always be on the box (or win) in the process, just shows that his comfort zone is a lot higher than most racers. To me, that in itself is amazing. He can pretty much auto-podium and not even have to push his comfort zone. I'm not a Dungey super fan by any means, but I think he is way more badass than he gets credit for.
McG194
6/8/2022 11:15am
AH387 wrote:
I think sometimes Dungey doesn't get enough credit for his speed. I sort of hate that he has this label or reputation of being just boring...
I think sometimes Dungey doesn't get enough credit for his speed. I sort of hate that he has this label or reputation of being just boring and consistent. The reason he is so "boring" is more just his efficiency. Also, to be able to always be on the box (or win) in the process, just shows that his comfort zone is a lot higher than most racers. To me, that in itself is amazing. He can pretty much auto-podium and not even have to push his comfort zone. I'm not a Dungey super fan by any means, but I think he is way more badass than he gets credit for.
Oh, he has speed. You can't win that many races without speed. He just doesn't have that jaw dropping lap in him.

How many times have you watched him and been blown away? Yeah, part of it is an economical riding style and always being in control.

Don't think for a moment I'm dogging him. In my opinion he's in the discussion for the 4th head on Moto Rushmore. Probably a tie with RV and Chad right now.
6/8/2022 11:17am
AH387 wrote:
I think sometimes Dungey doesn't get enough credit for his speed. I sort of hate that he has this label or reputation of being just boring...
Agreed. He maybe wasn’t always the fastest guy but he was damn fast. He raced guys like Stewart, Villopoto and Tomac and he was able to match or beat them all at times.
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
6/8/2022 11:20am Edited Date/Time 6/8/2022 11:21am
McG194 wrote:
I'm not a fan of any particular rider, anyone racing pro moto or SX is a pure badass as far as I'm concerned. With that being...
I'm not a fan of any particular rider, anyone racing pro moto or SX is a pure badass as far as I'm concerned.

With that being said I usually watch or pull for the guy who does the things that no one else is willing to do guys like Stew, MC or back in the day no matter what place Guy Cooper was in I was watching and cheering him on. I also like guys that have a great personality, guys like Fro, Deano, Jett or even Mossiman is a bit out there.

The point I'm getting to is Dungey is one of the most boring racers in both riding style and interviews in a long time. The only really wild riding I've ever seen from him is the famous hand shift. He's never going to be the fastest guy or blow you away with crazy jumps he just was either winning or putting it on the box like a machine. It's almost stupid to say but I'll be shocked if he doesn't win a few races this summer and compete for the title even though he has no right to do so. So, the dude is boring and not fun to watch but I've been pulling for him since he hit the 450 class.

the thing you have to appreciate about Dungey is his commitment and desire to succeed. He might not be known for being as flashy, or fast, as other riders but was still usually in the title fight and has quite the record. It's impressive that he was just a tick off guys like RV and Stewart but able to avoid injuries that they sustained from time to time.

The Shop

RACERX69
6/8/2022 11:25am Edited Date/Time 6/8/2022 11:28am
Rarely is anyone “always the fastest”, it’s just that Ryan was fastest more consistently than most others. His record clearly speaks volumes to this.
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
6/8/2022 11:30am Edited Date/Time 6/8/2022 11:30am
2011 southwick 450 moto 2.... was not boring
McG194
6/8/2022 11:32am Edited Date/Time 6/8/2022 11:32am
McG194 wrote:
I'm not a fan of any particular rider, anyone racing pro moto or SX is a pure badass as far as I'm concerned. With that being...

mx 219 wrote:
the thing you have to appreciate about Dungey is his commitment and desire to succeed. He might not be known for being as flashy, or fast...
the thing you have to appreciate about Dungey is his commitment and desire to succeed. He might not be known for being as flashy, or fast, as other riders but was still usually in the title fight and has quite the record. It's impressive that he was just a tick off guys like RV and Stewart but able to avoid injuries that they sustained from time to time.
I think that's why I like him. I'm far from fast and smooth but I never quit and am willing to suffer so I probably just like him because he is just like me but with talent. lol
McG194
6/8/2022 11:35am
dsmith wrote:
2011 southwick 450 moto 2.... was not boring
The fact that you named one race from a guy with 9 championships proves my point.
Monte122
6/8/2022 11:37am
Op said “ he just was either winning or putting it on the box like a machine” which it’s exactly what he is there to do, not to impress you with his speed or crazy style.
McG194
6/8/2022 11:42am
Monte122 wrote:
Op said “ he just was either winning or putting it on the box like a machine” which it’s exactly what he is there to do...
Op said “ he just was either winning or putting it on the box like a machine” which it’s exactly what he is there to do, not to impress you with his speed or crazy style.
Tell me you have reading comprehension problems without telling me you have reading comprehension problems.
Monte122
6/8/2022 11:43am
Monte122 wrote:
Op said “ he just was either winning or putting it on the box like a machine” which it’s exactly what he is there to do...
McG194 wrote:
Tell me you have reading comprehension problems without telling me you have reading comprehension problems.
I do
TXDirt
6/8/2022 11:55am
He is absolutely winning at life.

If Dungey was a movie character he would be the T-1000 from Terminator 2. An ability to transform and adapt. Not a scary outside appearance. Just normal looking guy. A relentless tenacity and drive to get the job done.

But turns out he is super scary. Inside he’s made of advanced metal. He’s a bad mofo.

That’s Dungey.

APLMAN99
6/8/2022 11:56am
Monte122 wrote:
McG194 wrote:
"I think that McG194 is a bright guy based on the stuff he posts!"

What do I win?
McG194
6/8/2022 12:50pm
Monte122 wrote:
McG194 wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
"I think that McG194 is a bright guy based on the stuff he posts!"

What do I win?
Is it hard to understand what I posted?

Usually, me like 99% of the rest of the world is drawn to the spectacular but I have dug Dungey (Who is not spectacular) from the get-go and really want to see him tear it up this summer. Hence the conundrum in the title.
MX Guy
Fantasy
727th
6/8/2022 1:01pm
But who asked?
MX45
6/8/2022 1:01pm

bents
Fantasy
909th
6/8/2022 1:03pm Edited Date/Time 6/8/2022 1:04pm
He was fast enough to win 1 SX west title, 1 250 MX title, 4-450 SX titles and 3 450 outdoor titles. And rack up 31 consecutive podiums in SX along the way. And he is 2nd in overall outdoor 450 wins behind the GOAT. I never understood how he got this rep for not having speed. He has put the smack down to the field on many occasions and never looked out of control doing it. He is one of the greatest of all time and is ahead of Stew and Chad based on titles, by a mile. The best consistency is availability and his availability on the gate has been among the top MXers of all time. 5 years later he looks exactly the same and no one has pulled this off before in terms of coming out of retirement, especially after this long a lay off. It's crazy. So lets stop this talk about him not having speed. Dungey pretty much had the entire toolbox as a professional racer, and looks to still have it now.
mxb2
6/8/2022 1:22pm
bents wrote:
He was fast enough to win 1 SX west title, 1 250 MX title, 4-450 SX titles and 3 450 outdoor titles. And rack up 31...
He was fast enough to win 1 SX west title, 1 250 MX title, 4-450 SX titles and 3 450 outdoor titles. And rack up 31 consecutive podiums in SX along the way. And he is 2nd in overall outdoor 450 wins behind the GOAT. I never understood how he got this rep for not having speed. He has put the smack down to the field on many occasions and never looked out of control doing it. He is one of the greatest of all time and is ahead of Stew and Chad based on titles, by a mile. The best consistency is availability and his availability on the gate has been among the top MXers of all time. 5 years later he looks exactly the same and no one has pulled this off before in terms of coming out of retirement, especially after this long a lay off. It's crazy. So lets stop this talk about him not having speed. Dungey pretty much had the entire toolbox as a professional racer, and looks to still have it now.
Bingo
Jeremy A.K.
6/8/2022 1:25pm
He has a red bull helmet that says golden rod in gold leaf on the back , he's done plenty.
shuggs
6/8/2022 1:27pm
You could argue that because of the speed Dungey went forced anybody beating him had to race on the very razors edge ….

Post a reply to: Ryan Dungey is an enigma wrapped in a conundrum.

The Latest