Rutted jump faces, help!

yz133rider
When a jump has ruts om the run up and on the jump face i lack the confidence to send it.

I can corner well with ruts and get thru straights pretty well but with jumps i get so worried about getting kicked sideways or cross rutting.

Any tips?
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
1/21/2018 4:24pm
Pick a rut, look ahead, don't force/fight the front wheel and send it.
Acidreamer
1/21/2018 5:11pm
Best thing for me is to keep hitting it even if you only jump halfway(tables for example) until you get used to how the ruts throw you. Getting in one isnt really difficult. Its when the bike sortof wants to twist or lay over in the air. maybe this will work for you?

The Shop

scooter5002
1/21/2018 5:56pm
Ruts are all about confidence, regardless of whether they’re in a corner or on jump face. Real simple: pick one, RELAX, and jump as you normally would. Be ready for the impending crash.
yz133rider
1/21/2018 6:18pm
Ruts are all about confidence, regardless of whether they’re in a corner or on jump face. Real simple: pick one, RELAX, and jump as you normally...
Ruts are all about confidence, regardless of whether they’re in a corner or on jump face. Real simple: pick one, RELAX, and jump as you normally would. Be ready for the impending crash.
Be ready for the impending crash. Greatttttt!!
1/21/2018 6:21pm
If you don't have enough skills and are not comfortable enough to bring the bike back in mid air from getting kicked sideways, then you should probably take your time until you're feeling more confident.
tcallahan707
1/21/2018 6:23pm
Hang off the back and squeeze with your legs. You don't necessarily need to seat bounce but if you are comfortable riding off a face while sitting down, that can help.
Hammer 663s
1/21/2018 7:13pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2018 7:13pm
When they are really rutted I just go around and make the pass off the track. Safer and faster both. No one ever notices.If it's good enough for Barcia it's good enough for me. Wink

Hammer 663s
jeffro503
1/21/2018 7:16pm
Ruts are all about confidence, regardless of whether they’re in a corner or on jump face. Real simple: pick one, RELAX, and jump as you normally...
I was never really bothered by ruts , until I read this. Now I'm freaking out a little.
scooter5002
1/21/2018 7:25pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2018 7:28pm
yz133rider wrote:
Be ready for the impending crash. Greatttttt!!
When you jump, one of two things is going to happen. You’re going to make it, or you won’t. Don’t overthink it. When you ride tentatively, it increases the possibility of something going wrong. Confidence.

I’m here for you, Jeffro. Wink
1/22/2018 2:36am
It's less about the ruts and take off, it's about confidence you can pull the bike back in the air, no secret technique other than being relaxed on the bike and committing.
The more you hesitate the more off balance you will get, it's always nice to practice in sandy ruts as they have more movement than mud.
FIREfish148
1/22/2018 2:55am
Just ride a wheelie off them bitches. Grab some right lever if that front end tries floating away on ya.
logan_140
1/22/2018 5:00am
Squeeze with your knees, pick a line, look ahead, don’t fight the front end
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
1/22/2018 7:17am
I like ruts, you can go a lot faster when their are good ruts. You have to be confortable with being sideways regularly in the air. If you are good at moving the bike in the air then dont look at the ruts just point and shoot and be ready to react.
GTCD15317
1/22/2018 8:01am
If your scared.... is this really your gig?
yz133rider
1/22/2018 9:00am
GTCD15317 wrote:
There is always the one D-bag
Right? No it isnt my gig lol. Ill never be remotely fast. But it is fun so fuck off.
bradnelson
1/22/2018 9:15am Edited Date/Time 1/22/2018 9:27am
Back in my Arenacross days, there would always be a couple sketchy tracks, because of the soft winter dirt. I remember one jump.... I was scared every time I came up to it. It was rutted. I made it a few times. But once, next thing I know, the back end is swinging to the right. I didn't have the skill to correct it. Heck, it was shear panic. Me and the bike landed flat on the concrete. I slid right into Jake Weimer's pit. He was like "DUDE! are you alright ?". lol. I felt like an idiot.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
1/22/2018 9:25am Edited Date/Time 1/22/2018 9:28am
My only feedback is feel like you are in control before hit the jump. What I mean more specifically, both front and rear tire are tracking straight toward the jump. It's when your wheeling out of a corner with the front tire off the ground or not setup to hit the jump straight is when I freak a little. As the rest said, then it's just confidence and pick a line, squeeze bike a little and avoid be to loose into the jump. If you notice a line push you out, then stop running that line.Also look for the pegs rubbing outside of the rut, avoid these as well as it can slow you down before the take off and buck you endo a bit kind of like hitting neutral. Correcting off a cross rut, make sure you stay off the brakes on the landing, what might feel like a high side in most situations the bike will correct itself on the landing if you stay of the brake and don't panic rev but also don't lock the rear tire up as this well.. You need the rear tire spinning to help correct you on the landing and just keep the handle bars pointing foward, lean back a little and prepare for the bike to shift under you bit.
mikec265
1/22/2018 9:56am
I don't do rutted take off ramps. They put me down hard in the past. I'm slow. Last race was 11 years ago. It's not worth it to me.
Tracktor
1/22/2018 10:11am
GTCD15317 wrote:
If you aren't scared sometimes you are going too slow..............
1/22/2018 11:26am
GTCD15317 wrote:
Tracktor wrote:
If you aren't scared sometimes you are going too slow..............
And if you’re injured, you’re not only not getting faster. But you’re creating mental blocks that are hard (if not impossible) to shake.

I’ve gotten way better, in short time, by always riding within my comfortable zone and letting the sport come to me. Im never scared of being hurt because Ive never been hurt on the dirtbike. And my confidence is always high. That goes a long ways.

My advice to the OP is to NOT force anything. Let it come to you. If you ride often, difficult things get easier just by desensitization. Seat time is your friend. Crutches are not.

If this was basketball I’d be telling you that intensity of your training is more important then hours spent in the gym. But basketball isn’t the type of sport that you get punished (injured) because you missed a layup.

imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
1/22/2018 11:34am
Pretty sure each racer deals with this at some point. After you hit a few thousand rutted faces, it becomes less of a big deal. I still get sketched out when you have to hit the jumps that you bottom out your foot pegs up the face, its normal to be a little scared when you are going WFO on a faded track or a fresh track.
1/22/2018 4:33pm
And if you’re injured, you’re not only not getting faster. But you’re creating mental blocks that are hard (if not impossible) to shake. I’ve gotten way...
And if you’re injured, you’re not only not getting faster. But you’re creating mental blocks that are hard (if not impossible) to shake.

I’ve gotten way better, in short time, by always riding within my comfortable zone and letting the sport come to me. Im never scared of being hurt because Ive never been hurt on the dirtbike. And my confidence is always high. That goes a long ways.

My advice to the OP is to NOT force anything. Let it come to you. If you ride often, difficult things get easier just by desensitization. Seat time is your friend. Crutches are not.

If this was basketball I’d be telling you that intensity of your training is more important then hours spent in the gym. But basketball isn’t the type of sport that you get punished (injured) because you missed a layup.

The only reason injuries slow me down is because I have a mortgage. Wish I could send it like 10 years ago and not have to worry so much.
GCBC
1/22/2018 6:46pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2018 6:48pm
get good n liquored up (Ronnie Mac taught me this) then go out and crank off any jump and you'll sail thru the sky full of grace n glory with a big boner air, even off a rutted lip!

practice & skill not required

Post a reply to: Rutted jump faces, help!

The Latest