langhammx
Fantasy
581st
Edited Date/Time 5/11/2016 9:47pm
I'd hate to have to try and ride these-

|
Bosco
5/11/2016 12:24pm
Only the bottom left is Germany. Top one is Unadilla (I think?), and the bottom right is too sandy to be Germany. Based on the style of truck in the background it's the US somewhere. Based on the t-shirt I'd hazard a guess at Glen Helen... Also I'm skeptical that the bottom right rut was made with bikes. Looks too narrow for how wide it is.
Team Ideal
5/11/2016 12:25pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2016 12:26pm
I'd bet money that top picture is Unadilla in 2014. I have a picture very close to that but can't find it, we were there. also the guy in the bottom right has what looks to be a Glen Helen shirt on...guess he could of bought one and just happen to be wearing it but...
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
5/11/2016 12:42pm
The guy on the bottom right doesn't have any legs, so that one is no big deal.
5/11/2016 12:44pm
Bosco wrote:
Only the bottom left is Germany. Top one is Unadilla (I think?), and the bottom right is too sandy to be Germany. Based on the style...
Only the bottom left is Germany. Top one is Unadilla (I think?), and the bottom right is too sandy to be Germany. Based on the style of truck in the background it's the US somewhere. Based on the t-shirt I'd hazard a guess at Glen Helen... Also I'm skeptical that the bottom right rut was made with bikes. Looks too narrow for how wide it is.
there are a lot of deep sandtracks in north and east germany. The picture bottom right doesn't even look that sandy. Real sandruts are way more broadly methinks.

The Shop

Bosco
5/11/2016 1:04pm
there are a lot of deep sandtracks in north and east germany. The picture bottom right doesn't even look that sandy. Real sandruts are way more...
there are a lot of deep sandtracks in north and east germany. The picture bottom right doesn't even look that sandy. Real sandruts are way more broadly methinks.
Sorry, I actually meant too sandy to be Teutschenthal. I just wasn't bothered looking up how to spell it Tongue

I wouldn't call it sandy, just more sandy than Teutschenthal.
Gavzx7
5/11/2016 1:10pm
Would anyone agree that if you've got ruts in a staightaway, it's poor track prep? I can see ruts in corners because guys are taking the same line and work a good line in. A straight? Do they really need to be ripped 20 feet deep? I mean, I hate seeing this crap.
5/11/2016 1:36pm
Poor track prep? No way man. Ruts form when the ground is moist. Which takes immaculate prepping and ripping.
5/11/2016 1:40pm
there are a lot of deep sandtracks in north and east germany. The picture bottom right doesn't even look that sandy. Real sandruts are way more...
Bosco wrote:
Sorry, I actually meant too sandy to be Teutschenthal. I just wasn't bothered looking up how to spell it :P I wouldn't call it sandy, just...
Sorry, I actually meant too sandy to be Teutschenthal. I just wasn't bothered looking up how to spell it Tongue

I wouldn't call it sandy, just more sandy than Teutschenthal.
I might have guessed
Team Ideal
5/11/2016 1:43pm
for Unadilla it wasn't so much track prep as it was rain almost every day the week before. it was my sons second go at a national and we just about didn't go but a day before the sun came out and the weather changed.

he had been riding some pretty decently rutted up tracks around here so I felt he should be good. when he came in from first practice I was a little upset with his riding and asking him what was going on and he starts telling me about the ruts and I'm like you've been riding ruts all week, his response was not ruts like this. anyway he didn't make time and got caught up in a wreck in one of the turns in the LCQ but really didn't ride to bad after that. after the mains were over I actually walked on the track I was amazed at how deep and long the ruts were, it's something I'll never forget, you got in a rut coming out of a turn and never got out of it. you really appreciate just how good the top guys are after watching them go so fast thru them.
motomike137
5/11/2016 1:58pm
Whether it is because of rain leading up to the race or just track prep it is just too darn much water. I wish they could find a happy medium where the majority of the tracks don't become slot car like.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
5/11/2016 2:21pm
Gavzx7 wrote:
Would anyone agree that if you've got ruts in a staightaway, it's poor track prep? I can see ruts in corners because guys are taking the...
Would anyone agree that if you've got ruts in a staightaway, it's poor track prep? I can see ruts in corners because guys are taking the same line and work a good line in. A straight? Do they really need to be ripped 20 feet deep? I mean, I hate seeing this crap.
uh this only happens when a track is prepped, ie disked deeeep, and made wet. it doesnt do this if the dirt is packed or dry
Johnny Depp
5/11/2016 2:51pm
I don't care to watch races on it or ride it. Track cut too deep.

What started as one unique section at Glen Helen became a fad.

Orthopedic Dr's love this stuff.

5/11/2016 3:18pm
Gavzx7 wrote:
Would anyone agree that if you've got ruts in a staightaway, it's poor track prep? I can see ruts in corners because guys are taking the...
Agreed !!!!
Alex
5/11/2016 3:32pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2016 2:25pm
Everything in moderation I guess. I like watching gnarly rutty tracks and I love watching sand races too, but I'd love to see a couple of glassy hardpack tracks make a showing every now and then too. Gaildorf style. With all the advancements in track watering ability I'm sure they could handle a proper hardback race these days and keep on top of the dust even on a hot day. Riders might not like slipping and a sliding around without anything to hit but you would see an entirely different race craft being used.

JMX82
5/11/2016 9:47pm
I think there is too little variation in the tracks nowadays. It would be really cool see some old school grass covered tracks and real hard pack tracks.
hillbilly
9/30/2016 5:41pm
Read somewhere that the yellow jugs were staked instead of just sitting.
Getndome
9/30/2016 6:51pm
The tuff block definitely fucked him they can say what they want trying to cover their ass
Getndome
9/30/2016 6:57pm
But this is the same series that has backhoes on the sides of tracks and let's mules run down the side of the tracks but if they cross rut and hit one they ultimately died because they cross rutted not because of whatever was on the edge or side of the track. There should be 10-20 ft clear on both sides of the track to allow the rider time to save it in case of some shit like this. But who cares right it's not gonna be them that hits it it's all in the name of entertainment.
9/30/2016 7:46pm
Our local track usually ruts up real nice. This was back in May after a few rainy days. Traction was great that day

9/30/2016 8:17pm
Bosco wrote:
Only the bottom left is Germany. Top one is Unadilla (I think?), and the bottom right is too sandy to be Germany. Based on the style...
Crush
9/30/2016 8:41pm
Gavzx7 wrote:
uh this only happens when a track is prepped, ie disked deeeep, and made wet. it doesnt do this if the dirt is packed or dry
Correct.

If they just disced the corners and left the straights like they do the jumps I think the racing would benefit...
home skillet
10/1/2016 12:03am
I've never seen ruts like that in my life, I've raced 10 plus years and never saw anything like in those first few pics. Although all my racing and riding was in Europe, even sidecar didn't produce ruts like that, I think this comes from ripping up up the soil which was never done in Europe. I can just imagine all the knee injuries, totally ridiculous.
Motofinne
10/1/2016 1:25am
Getndome wrote:
But this is the same series that has backhoes on the sides of tracks and let's mules run down the side of the tracks but if...
But this is the same series that has backhoes on the sides of tracks and let's mules run down the side of the tracks but if they cross rut and hit one they ultimately died because they cross rutted not because of whatever was on the edge or side of the track. There should be 10-20 ft clear on both sides of the track to allow the rider time to save it in case of some shit like this. But who cares right it's not gonna be them that hits it it's all in the name of entertainment.
It is AMAZING that they see no problem with those vehicles(mules or what ever they are called) going up and down besides the track when there are guys riding on the track.

lumpy790
10/1/2016 7:02am
Sleepy Hollow in PA used to get ruts like that where you were in the rut for several straights and turns.
jj welks
10/1/2016 8:11am Edited Date/Time 10/1/2016 8:11am
Getndome wrote:
But this is the same series that has backhoes on the sides of tracks and let's mules run down the side of the tracks but if...
Motofinne wrote:
It is AMAZING that they see no problem with those vehicles(mules or what ever they are called) going up and down besides the track when there...
It is AMAZING that they see no problem with those vehicles(mules or what ever they are called) going up and down besides the track when there are guys riding on the track.

Ya if DC chimes in He'll set you two straight
Getndome
10/1/2016 9:54am Edited Date/Time 10/1/2016 11:35am
Getndome wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
It is AMAZING that they see no problem with those vehicles(mules or what ever they are called) going up and down besides the track when there...

jj welks wrote:
Ya if DC chimes in He'll set you two straight
Before he does he needs to watch the video of jessy Nelson human pin ball off that stupid yellow jug then he is welcome to offer an explanation

I'm not blaming D.C. Or mx sports as I doubt he personally staked it down but there are some things they should look at and reconsider before something worse happens

Post a reply to: Ruts in MX

The Latest